HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks to announce extension to Quenneville

Old
09-16-2010, 05:45 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 50
Hawks to announce extension to Quenneville

Quote:
Blackhawks to hold special press conference at United Center Thursday at 2:30 P.M.
http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news....id=DL|CHI|home

While coach Q can sometimes be a little too stubborn to mix it up if some things aren't working, he is still one of the premier coaches in the league and stepped in at the right time for the young Hawks to bring some experience and calmness to the group. Well deserved.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:22 AM
JUICEY*

vCash: 500
Can't really argue with an extension to the Stanley Cup winnning coach.

JUICEY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Gambar
Fire Hendry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUICEY View Post
Can't really argue with an extension to the Stanley Cup winnning coach.
This.

No argument here.

Gambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 10:56 AM
zac

I'm not a big Q fan but I knew this was coming. He falls in love with guys like Sopel, changes lines like most change their underwear, and can be horrible at setting his special teams units (Brouwer getting any PK time last year was a joke). He's also been one of the more fortunate coaches in NHL history when considering the situations he walked into (StL and Chicago were both primed to be powerhouses regardless if Q was ever there). There are times this team forgets to pressure the puck for stretches of games which is ludicrous as this is when this team is at it's best. My last gripe with Q is the ridiculous PP strategy this team employed for much of the season. It didn't take an Einstein to see the team is much more successful letting our wings create plays rather than our blueliners blasting inconsistent shots from the blue line. If that was Torch's call then Q should have had the stones to fire him midway through the season. A team with this talent finishing with the % they did on the PP is inexcusable.

I would have like to have seen the Hawks wait until season's end before giving him his extension. Last year the Hawks were the most talented team in the league and I think several coaches would have led them to Cup. Now that we don't have 3 guaranteed lines I am eager to see how Q handles things. Not pulling retarded move such as giving Brouwer PK time, shuffling lines every night (I don't mind early in the season but the regularity with which he did it at the end of the regular season and playoffs was insane), or employing last's year PP strategy would go a long way in swaying me in favor of this move.

I know I'm in the minority on this one so flame away...

Last edited by zac: 09-16-2010 at 11:10 AM.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 11:00 AM
stingo

Good news.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 12:43 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
I know I'm in the minority on this one so flame away...
With your trenchant insight into this team's defensive flaws, I'm surprised you didn't get the job.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 02:08 PM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
With your trenchant insight into this team's defensive flaws, I'm surprised you didn't get the job.

I think Zac is Mike Babcock or something

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

good news

and on the other side... who would be available who is better + Q knows this team

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 03:35 PM
Teemu

So, uh, why was this announced at 4am?

Teemu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

I am kind of meh on this as well. He doesn't seem to be a great strategist and I worry that he is a little bit too much like Mike Keenan.

I heard last season that Q is neither popular or respected by the players. Earning respect is one thing. Commanding it has a shelf life of 4 or 5 years.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
I am kind of meh on this as well. He doesn't seem to be a great strategist and I worry that he is a little bit too much like Mike Keenan.

I heard last season that Q is neither popular or respected by the players. Earning respect is one thing. Commanding it has a shelf life of 4 or 5 years.
From Where?

I doubt it. They have all improved under him (the young guys). And they learned to play 2 way hockey.

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Good

Coach Q is great ,,, And all the idiots who are meh or whatever with this signing are idiots ,,,,, Sorry for being so blunt

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:27 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
Coaching extensions are useless anyways. If the team sucks he'll be the first to go.

theaub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Good

Coach Q is great ,,, And all the idiots who are meh or whatever with this signing are idiots ,,,,, Sorry for being so blunt

So your point is that if someone disagrees with you they are an idiot and also that idiots are idiots? Hmmm. Can't really argue with that logic.

Being meh about this signing means I am neither excited or disappointed about it. I don't believe anyone is going to argue the point that Q is a big part of the cup coming to Chicago. He was along for the ride.

Theaub hit the nail on the head though. It's not like he counts against the cap or anything. We all know he has a history of the crazy but if he drops the ball he gets paid out and goes away.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

I kinda wish they had re-upped him at the end of the 2011 year though. My fear is he'll feel like the pressure's off now that they have won a Cup and will be semi-struggling this year to integrate new players. If the team dies out early in the playoffs he'll just take the whole "well there's the Cup hangover, new players, loss of experienced players"

I'd rather him feel like there's a gun to his head to make something magical happen again this year and not use excuses if we're not strong. Now he's got the extension and the money..so I don't want him to kick back too much and enjoy himself. I want another shot at it this year as we all do and I want to smoke all these clowns with their cap issues threads.

Bring Back GLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 02:16 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
He's the first legit NHL coach we've had since Keenan. Is one of the better coaches in the league, and he just won us a cup. Guy has a several year grace period, barring some ridiculousness like he chokes out Toews.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 07:03 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Good

Disagree all you want, and I'm perfectly find with that, but instead of calling people "idiots", why don't you try refuting the qualms outlined in my (or other people's) post? Like it or not everything in my post is true, but I can certainly understand why most are bullish on the signing. After all the man just won the Cup.

But again I'd like to point out that Quenneville has walked into more ready-made situations than any other coach in the league. The Blackhawks were destined to win the Cup regardless of who the coach was (unless it was a complete retard).

Q gets WAAYYY too much credit around here.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote