HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oreskovich

Old
08-24-2010, 09:03 PM
magumbo

vCash: 500
Oreskovich

im a vancouver fan and when i heard that mg traded grabner and bernier for ballard and oreskovich i was thrilled but i dont know much bout oreskovich so i was wondering if you guys can shed some light on this guy how he plays what to expect from him (etc)

thnx

magumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 09:24 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by magumbo View Post
im a vancouver fan and when i heard that mg traded grabner and bernier for ballard and oreskovich i was thrilled but i dont know much bout oreskovich so i was wondering if you guys can shed some light on this guy how he plays what to expect from him (etc)

thnx
some days he hits like a beast and other days hes invisible. decent hands, not great and works hard.

FinlandPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 09:46 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
some days he hits like a beast and other days hes invisible. decent hands, not great and works hard.
+1. Started the season very well, looked like we go lucky with him knowing PDB from minors(IIRC). Then as the season went on he lost that spark and was eventually sent back to the AHL when we needed players that were physical. To me, career 4th liner but hopefully he proves me wrong playing for the Canucks.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 06:03 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by magumbo View Post

thnx
Reminds me of my little brother when we were kids and he got a karaoke machine for Christmas (not sure why, we never sang, before or after) and he was all excited when he opened it. He then realized he had no idea what it was initially, and wasn't nearly as thrilled when he found out it was something we just weren't going to use very much, lol.

Oresko was really impressive to start the season, came out with fire and hit guys left and right. Joined the play, looked good, but then just faded. He wasn't anything close to that by the end of the season, and to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if he gave up playing again in the next year or two. Really wish him the best, he's a lot of fun when he's on, but he was disappointing down the stretch.

08-25-2010, 10:01 AM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
I remember his first game his absolutely plastered Alex Pietrangelo against the boards.

Like other posters indicated he started out with gusto and aplomb and proceeded to fade down the stretch. It could have been due to his long layoff from hockey and not being in full season game-shape. I think he'll carve out a niche on your 4th line as a hard skating/checking forward.

TimHortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post
I remember his first game his absolutely plastered Alex Pietrangelo against the boards.

Like other posters indicated he started out with gusto and aplomb and proceeded to fade down the stretch. It could have been due to his long layoff from hockey and not being in full season game-shape. I think he'll carve out a niche on your 4th line as a hard skating/checking forward.
I think that was the reason for his decline. Even though he was supposedly in phenomenal physical shape, he wasnt really in game shape. So the style he was playing eventually caught up to him and he couldnt keep that up. He looked sluggish towards the end of his time in the NHL which to me signified that he just wasnt ready for a full season in the NHL.

He's definitely an energy guy and will really give your team a kick start as soon as he gets his big hit in. I remember an interview from him last season that he always likes to start off a game with getting a big hit in his first shift. I think he'll continue with that and fit in well on a 3rd/4th line with the Canucks.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 05:41 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Like people said. He was a beast first when he was called up. Everyone loved him. Then after bunch of games he just was invisible and never was the same

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Gudbranson44

he played quite a lot of games with us, but if that makes you think that he's a solid nhler think again. ill admit that at times he really impressed me, coming from nowhere and then just hitting people like they were ragdolls. but then he got too comfortable and should have been sent down, but deboer coached him in kitchener in junior and deboer loves his junior guys in a scary way, so he stayed put and got a quite big but undeserved number of games on his record.

if your coach can keep hi motivated to play 100% every game you will love him, but dont expect him to contribute too much.

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 12:03 AM
biturbo19

So given that the general consensus is that he faded pretty badly in his physical play...the main thing cited is his conditioning after being away from the game.

Is it possible that some of that was due to the fact that the Panthers as a whole looked to be fading? As in...hard to get really jacked up and play a physical energy role when you're piling up loss after loss? Just curious. Not trying to rub salt in the wounds.

I'm really hoping Oreskovich pans out for the Canucks as a solid energy guy with some decent hands? But players who fade down the stretch aren't really what the team needs. So i'm hoping that with some improved conditioning and on a team that's really still in the hunt...he hopefully won't fade so much? After all...he seemed to emphasize quite a bit how excited he was to come to a team that is, 'really seriously building to contend for the cup right away'.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 02:10 AM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
So given that the general consensus is that he faded pretty badly in his physical play...the main thing cited is his conditioning after being away from the game.

Is it possible that some of that was due to the fact that the Panthers as a whole looked to be fading? As in...hard to get really jacked up and play a physical energy role when you're piling up loss after loss? Just curious. Not trying to rub salt in the wounds.

I'm really hoping Oreskovich pans out for the Canucks as a solid energy guy with some decent hands? But players who fade down the stretch aren't really what the team needs. So i'm hoping that with some improved conditioning and on a team that's really still in the hunt...he hopefully won't fade so much? After all...he seemed to emphasize quite a bit how excited he was to come to a team that is, 'really seriously building to contend for the cup right away'.
the thing is, he said he was so happy to be back in the game etc etc, but then like i said he faded away... he didnt seem overly excited to be back in the game after a while.... but whatever, if he can play close to his ceiling in vancouver you will love him, but still dont expect too much out of him..

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

The conditioning was probably Oreskovich's big problem down the stretch, also it is hard to maintain the intensity you have when you first get called up. Thing is, O didn't really show any hands, he only just banged bodies left and right when he first came up, so how can you possibly keep that up for 82 games? You can't. I think he tried to develop more of an offensive game, but I think that's better served in the AHL than the NHL. If you want a 4th line banger though, he's a good one. Didn't seem like much of a fighter though.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 02:18 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
The conditioning was probably Oreskovich's big problem down the stretch, also it is hard to maintain the intensity you have when you first get called up. Thing is, O didn't really show any hands, he only just banged bodies left and right when he first came up, so how can you possibly keep that up for 82 games? You can't. I think he tried to develop more of an offensive game, but I think that's better served in the AHL than the NHL. If you want a 4th line banger though, he's a good one. Didn't seem like much of a fighter though.
Personally all I want him to be is a 4th line banger.

How could someone coming back after 2 years of not playing, dropping 25 pounds of muscle and then playing 84 pro hockey games not fade near the end?

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Denondude

Hopefully with the off season he'll be getting into better shape, conditioning wise. We really could use a player of his skill set. I don't have huge expectations for him, but I do see him as more then just a throw in the Ballard deal.

If he can throw his weight around and create some space and intensity for the Canucks he'll be a welcomed addition. If not, won't hurt to have him on the Moose.

Denondude is offline   Reply With Quote