HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Cody Hodgson Discussion

Old
09-19-2010, 12:23 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
I like how he calls him "Mr. Vigneault." Not on an "AV" basis yet!
It's because Hodgson is clearing the mentor and is schooling "Mr. Vigneault". He is addressing him as any professor would address a student.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 12:28 AM
Denondude

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
http://www.theprovince.com/business/...#ixzz0zksEknWv

I don't know where this notion came from that "Canucks Nation" is down on Hodgson? If anything, some have (legitimate) questions about how the Canucks handled this player, but I haven't seen a whole lot of negative stuff towards the player himself.
Seems to me most fans realize he's a blue chip prospect, and that considering he lost a year to injury it's likely best for him and the team to have him start and perhaps play out the season in the AHL with the Manitoba Moose.

Denondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 12:35 AM
billvanseattle

Wtf

I am so glad that the group has decided cody;s future ...

Lets see how training camp goes, and whether he should be sent to MB or play for the nuckers.

I am glad that "the group" has decided that there is a rift and at that it simmering below the surface, and that the only answer is that he go to the Peg and prove himself. I call BS.

This kid ... young man ... whatever term u want ... has been nothing but class. Lets see how he performs in camp ... and then at the NHL level. I am hopeful ... (ok i am always hopeful ... but I was a fan for the 70's and 80's) that this kid is a legitimate Calder prospect.

No offense, but a ton of the commentors on here only see black or white ... what do u mean there are a tons of shades of grey?

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 12:38 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
I am so glad that the group has decided cody;s future ...

Lets see how training camp goes, and whether he should be sent to MB or play for the nuckers.

I am glad that "the group" has decided that there is a rift and at that it simmering below the surface, and that the only answer is that he go to the Peg and prove himself. I call BS.

This kid ... young man ... whatever term u want ... has been nothing but class. Lets see how he performs in camp ... and then at the NHL level. I am hopeful ... (ok i am always hopeful ... but I was a fan for the 70's and 80's) that this kid is a legitimate Calder prospect.

No offense, but a ton of the commentors on here only see black or white ... what do u mean there are a tons of shades of grey?
Actually there are only a couple people (I'm one) that believes there was a rift. Most hf posters think there wasn't...but they do continually refer to it...which much be enormously gratifying to a certain poster from the wet coast.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 12:45 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Too vague for me to understand. Media repetition? HF Board repetition? Or repetition from a source that would actually have some true insight into the situation?
Not just any hfboard member but one who spends more time reading articles, researching, collecting information, contacting media members, using twitter, and putting it together using his critical thinking skills.

Are you saying the media does not have true insight into the situation?

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 12:51 AM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Actually there are only a couple people (I'm one) that believes there was a rift. Most hf posters think there wasn't...but they do continually refer to it...which much be enormously gratifying to a certain poster from the wet coast.
I really don't think that an argument could be made that there weren't hard feelings on both sides, but to attach the term "rift" was a complete hyperbole.

And as we've seen, unless Cody never plays a game in a Canucks uni, that everyone acted like professionals in a matter where there was a misunderstanding.

Understandably a lot of people don't act like this and wouldn't be able to see how a solution like this could come to fruition.

Old
09-19-2010, 12:51 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikSedinFan View Post
Not just any hfboard member but one who spends more time reading articles, researching, collecting information, contacting media members, using twitter, and putting it together using his critical thinking skills.

Are you saying the media does not have true insight into the situation?
Pat Burns.

Chairman Maouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 12:53 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
The only people that were wrong were those who towed company line regarding the media ban. Hodgson can acquit himself very well, there wasn't any need to block communications.

Did the media pick on Hodgson yesterday? Ask any crrrrraaaaazy questions? No.
Sure there was. And it's something that we should all expect with Gillis. Hodgson is the star prospect for his organization. Ahead of Schroeder or anyone else. He was a 10th overall pick, and Gillis' prized draft pick to date.

Knowing Gillis, and how much emphasis he puts on proper prospect development, and care and attention in how these guys are handled to best develop him, do you really think that Gillis wouldn't first put on a media ban here before unleashing this city's media horde on a 20 YO kid just coming into the pros?

There were no doubt a lot of concerns with his injury and rampant speculation on his future here... there were already hockey analysts that were convinced he'd be traded - or demand a trade out of town.

Is it the best way to handle your prized prospect by letting him fend for himself, going completely unprepared, to deal with the media in this city?

Gillis did the right thing because the bottom line isn't about the fans knowing exactly what's going on... or pleasing the media allowing them to get all their questions answered. The most important factor that Gillis has to be concerned about with Hodgson, is to help him reach his potential as quickly and as efficiently as possible. And dealing with the media is just one of those things that young players need to learn and adapt to - it has an impact on their games (as we've seen referenced *many* times).

Personally, as a die-hard fan of this team, I couldn't care less how much information the media releases to me if it costs the team anything in terms of success. I'd rather not hear Hodgson speak a word, if that best helps him to concentrate on his development and gives him the best chance to reach his potential... obviously he can't do that as a top prospect in a hockey-mad city, so controlling his situation and interactions with the media, as he continues to learn more about how best to handle it, is the logical thing to do with him.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 12:58 AM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
Sure there was. And it's something that we should all expect with Gillis. Hodgson is the star prospect for his organization. Ahead of Schroeder or anyone else. He was a 10th overall pick, and Gillis' prized draft pick to date.

Knowing Gillis, and how much emphasis he puts on proper prospect development, and care and attention in how these guys are handled to best develop him, do you really think that Gillis wouldn't first put on a media ban here before unleashing this city's media horde on a 20 YO kid just coming into the pros?

There were no doubt a lot of concerns with his injury and rampant speculation on his future here... there were already hockey analysts that were convinced he'd be traded - or demand a trade out of town.

Is it the best way to handle your prized prospect by letting him fend for himself, going completely unprepared, to deal with the media in this city?

Gillis did the right thing because the bottom line isn't about the fans knowing exactly what's going on... or pleasing the media allowing them to get all their questions answered. The most important factor that Gillis has to be concerned about with Hodgson, is to help him reach his potential as quickly and as efficiently as possible. And dealing with the media is just one of those things that young players need to learn and adapt to - it has an impact on their games (as we've seen referenced *many* times).

Personally, as a die-hard fan of this team, I couldn't care less how much information the media releases to me if it costs the team anything in terms of success. I'd rather not hear Hodgson speak a word, if that best helps him to concentrate on his development and gives him the best chance to reach his potential... obviously he can't do that as a top prospect in a hockey-mad city, so controlling his situation and interactions with the media, as he continues to learn more about how best to handle it, is the logical thing to do with him.
My thoughts exactly.

Know what I'm saying?

Old
09-19-2010, 01:02 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:

It also allowed Gillis to correct his mis-statement that the muscle tear was discovered by Canuck Doctors. Imagine the huge and possibly hysterical outcry from the the media if Hodgson had have been questioned about that and answered with the truth...that would have directly conflicted with the Gillis version.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 01:16 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Sometimes stories generate their own heat without any stoking whatsoever from the involved parties. It's essentially your basic conspiracy theory concept. When there's a minimal amount of facts available, the media often generates their own. It happens time and time again. All we really know is that there was a FUBAR with a diagnosis and that Coach Vig made some comments about a year ago which he was criticized for. Everything after that is pretty much media generated heat.

Chairman Maouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 03:09 AM
ZyggZagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Duuude Hodgson is a Norse name. That makes him infinitely more badass. That means he's a ****ing viking.
Too soft to ever be our captain, then.

ZyggZagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 11:30 AM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:

Gillis did the right thing because the bottom line isn't about the fans knowing exactly what's going on... or pleasing the media allowing them to get all their questions answered.
Fine, but anyone who agrees with this opinion shouldn't whine and ***** about the speculation and "conspiracy theories" that circulate in the absence of official information.

I don't know what I'm more tired of, the "rift theory" or people *****ing about the rampant speculation while defending the organizations secrecy. You can't have it both ways.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 11:38 AM
VanEric

Quote:
Fine, but anyone who agrees with this opinion shouldn't whine and ***** about the speculation and "conspiracy theories" that circulate in the absence of official information.

I don't know what I'm more tired of, the "rift theory" or people *****ing about the rampant speculation while defending the organizations secrecy. You can't have it both ways.
Secrecy. Like they're protecting nuclear launch codes. Or covering up a terrorist plot.

Get over yourselves, sports fans.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 11:43 AM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Secrecy. Like they're protecting nuclear launch codes. Or covering up a terrorist plot.

Get over yourselves, sports fans.
human nature can't get over itself.

In the absence of official information any human will speculate and come to conclusions based on that lack of evidence.

"thats just the way it is"

Old
09-19-2010, 11:48 AM
VanEric

Quote:

In the absence of official information any human will speculate and come to conclusions based on that lack of evidence.

Yet some of us manage not to go way overboard especially when we knew that in time, it would all play itself out.

Like this last little thing with the prospects camp and him not doing interviews, all we had to wait was like a week or so for when he was going to speak.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:

And some people will assume all is well and some will assume the worst. How you interpret things says more about you than anyone within the organization...

The fact of the matter is Cody Hodgson came out and said there was good communication all year long with himself and the Canucks. Sooooo, the rift theory people were the ones off base were they not?

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 12:03 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Yet some of us manage not to go way overboard especially when we knew that in time, it would all play itself out.
Well, some people are professionally trained in speculation.

Quote:
Like this last little thing with the prospects camp and him not doing interviews, all we had to wait was like a week or so for when he was going to speak.
Great. then don't complain about the rumors being created for a week. That's why I balked when I heard about the media ban. It reeked of a lack of media communications knowledge- it created more rumors than helped extinguish the existing rumors. In an atmosphere like this, its much better to get Kristein Reid out there to toss Hodgson a few of her friendly lobs and clear the air.

Last edited by LostMyGlasses*: 09-19-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old
09-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:

Excellent argument. I think we should continue to condone wild speculation in the absence of information.

>So, Mr. Gillis, tell me: when exactly was it that you stopped beating your wife?

>What? You're not going to dignify that with an answer? Hmmm...Makes some who might be prone to conspiracy theories out there wonder (while not explicitly saying it's me who's wondering): Just what is this guy hiding? Why not just be open about his spousal abuse history, air it all out, and be rid of this shrouded mystery? C'mon Mr. Gillis. Ball's in your court...

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Ernie

I have it on good authority that Gillis was NOT pleased when Hodgson announced that he would not be training with Dave Gagner this summer.

How long it went after that is all speculation, and without some facts I do not see the point in that. We do know that the Canucks battened down the hatches immediately.

And let's face it: this is only a controversy in the minds of a relative few in this city. The Canucks addressing it in any way in the media just would have made it worse, not better.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 12:15 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
Excellent argument. I think we should continue to condone wild speculation in the absence of information.

>So, Mr. Gillis, tell me: when exactly was it that you stopped beating your wife?
Which reporter would have asked this question? or a question like this?

Hodgson's interview a couple days ago was cordial, with no bad or even deep questions asked. I don't get this mentality that letting Hodgson talk to the media would result in him being asked unreasonable questions.

Old
09-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Which reporter would have asked this question?
It's just a more extreme example of the rift, character issues speculation. Draw a conclusion not based on facts and put the other party in the uncomfortable position of having to address it. Then, when they don't play along, throw a tantrum and blame them for not putting out the fire you just started.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 01:06 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:

you can't have it both ways because you can't expect the media in this city to wait for the facts before making off the wall speculation. That happens in a city with hockey starved fans who need information - whether true or not - to be constantly streaming.

I'm only whining and *****ing about the conspiracy theories because they take a life of its own based on no factual information. If people just discussed what we actually know to be true, rather than *actually believe* (not just speculate) things that have no basis in reality, and are only fueled by wild speculation, then there would be no need to complain about these conspiracy theories.

But when you have reporters (ie. McGuire) go on and on about how there's a rift there and Hodgson will be moved, without actually knowing the facts, and then you have the fan base buy into this crap, I feel it's appropriate to whine and ***** about it!

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 01:17 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZyggZagg View Post
Too soft to ever be our captain, then.
Hodgson =

09-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Placebo Effect

imacVanSun

Just visited Area 51 -- 2nd practice rink closed to public. Cody Hodgson looks excellent, moving well. Will be with full team soon.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote