HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Zherdev Bashed for Using a Translator (and issues regarding Zherdev)

Old
09-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
and the racism begins
Can you embellish your comment so I can understand what point you are trying to make. Thank you

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Just found this too, 96% claim to speak it "well" or "very well." So only 4% don't speak English at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languag..._United_States
That's from the 1990 Census. That's not anywhere even close to accurate anymore.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Gameday88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
A lot of the dynamics you're going to see on a deep offense is that individual stars will shine less.

So Richards may not get 82, he may get 75. Carter may not get 85, he may get 75.

Likewise, Zherdev may not get 80, he may get 65.

But that also works in reverse. Hartnell may not get 50, he may get 60.
That's true. Typically, what we see with teams that are deep offensively is the secondary scoring picks up due primarily due to the fact that they tend to face lower quality opposition as they're used to key in on the top line(s).

With the scoring depth the Flyers have this year and Laviolette's offensively inclined (run & gun) system, it is expected that the Flyers will be a very tough team to contain. In addition, the number of quality 2 way players will make scoring a difficult task for the opposition.

What will be interesting to see is just how far Zherdev has come in his two way game and again, how consistent is his A game.

Gameday88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
That's from the 1990 Census. That's not anywhere even close to accurate anymore.
2000 Census: http://www.census.gov/population/www...bles/tab01.pdf

Puts it at 1.28% not speaking English at all; 2.9% "not well"; and 3.9% "well."

Now, I would also wager that the folks who don't speak English at all are under represented in these things, but that's just a guess. Native speakers would also problem have a problem with some who classify themselves as speaking passable English.

Of course, none of this means it makes sense to criticize a guy wanting to have a translator present so that he avoids saying something stupid after just getting back form an extended absence from the language.

I mean, Timmeh is making this out like when Manny Ramirez (who has been regularly interviewed in English for years) showed up in Chicago this summer and decided he needed a translator. That was odd.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
A lot of the dynamics you're going to see on a deep offense is that individual stars will shine less.

So Richards may not get 82, he may get 75. Carter may not get 85, he may get 75.

Likewise, Zherdev may not get 80, he may get 65.

But that also works in reverse. Hartnell may not get 50, he may get 60.
Huh? A deep offense means more goals. More goals mean more points to go around (secondary assists being a primary way to pad your stats). What deep offensive team have we had in recent memory where the "stars" shown less?

Last year's top 5
Washington: Star players had monster seasons.
Vancouver: Sedins had monster seasons.
Chicago: Kane, Keith, Toews (pace, in 76 games), Sharp... career highs.
San Jose: May have a case here, but Marleau also set a career high in goals.
Pittsburgh: They kind of lacked depth, in fact, but Crosby had his best goal scoring year.

Generally speaking, deep offensive teams equates to an increase in production across the board. Perhaps goal scoring may go down a bit for star players, because they can play with others (even this is debatable)... but there's simply more points getting passed out if you're scoring more goals as a team.

I mean, ****, Gretzky's star really shined less whilst in Edmonton on those stacked teams.

Old
09-18-2010, 01:42 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
And attitudes like this are a prime reason why America gets a bad rap internationally.
lol, ok. Try livign in another country and not learning to speak their language. See how much they cater to you.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
lol, ok. Try livign in another country and not learning to speak their language. See how much they cater to you.
Then I would hire a translator to make sure that I wasn't misunderst... Oh, wait...

Old
09-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
In a lot of European countries the people there already speak better English than you do.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Jester

Quote:
You're conflating two things.

1) Zherdev has learned to speak English (even if he hadn't made an effort, that would be his problem... not yours or mine).

2) In a professional setting, Zherdev is getting language assistance to avoid misunderstandings.

Then again, I've also lived in and traveled in other countries... and when I knew the foreign language (German, specifically, which is terribly rusty at this point) I've spoken it as well as I could as a courtesy.

Your complaint devolves onto Zherdev using a translator to speak to media. Seriously, why do you care? It's pathetic, both for Timmeh and you.

Old
09-18-2010, 03:16 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
In a lot of European countries the people there already speak better English than you do.
Yes, but I think we've reached a point where the criticism of the Anglo-speaking world is unfair on this point. Culturally, English has become such a dominant language that there's little reason necessitating learning another language. This is unfortunate in many ways, because we're losing out competitively in a skill that is quite valuable.

However, I will never forget watching English-language TV in Germany, Austria, and the Czech Republic; walking around in a mall in Germany with English music playing overhead... if you're learning English there's so much out there to reinforce what you're learning that you just casually can get access to. Not so much the other way around.

Old
09-18-2010, 03:53 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yes, but I think we've reached a point where the criticism of the Anglo-speaking world is unfair on this point. Culturally, English has become such a dominant language that there's little reason necessitating learning another language. This is unfortunate in many ways, because we're losing out competitively in a skill that is quite valuable.

However, I will never forget watching English-language TV in Germany, Austria, and the Czech Republic; walking around in a mall in Germany with English music playing overhead... if you're learning English there's so much out there to reinforce what you're learning that you just casually can get access to. Not so much the other way around.
My quote was not using "you" in the collective sense, but rather it was directed strictly at NWO.

I don't think most Europeans speak better English than me, but their English (their second lanuage) is almost always a damn sight better than my Spanish (my second language).

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 04:10 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
My assumption is you've never and will probably never do ANY business outside of the country. There are so many cultural nuances and things of that nature that even if you could speak the language it is far more appropriate to use a translator and that is what is going on.

Most companies pay significant dollars for translation services. If they didn't give a **** what people said they'd just tell them to learn the language or get fired. Zherdev is an employee they brought over from another country who is being asked to be a spokesman from time to time, in order to put his best foot forward he is utilizing the services of the corporation to speak.

We are in a business setting, it isn't like you are having Zherdev over for dinner and he is just sitting at your table staring blankly at you when you ask if he wants cream or sugar with his coffee and he refuses to answer you in English and instead turns to his translator to answer the question even though he completely understands it.

Grow up man. You are utterly ridiculous.

And do not try to bring up what Pat's did with their we are in America speak English. . . as a company you have the right to refuse services.

The most asinine thing is that, this is basically a Business to Business interview within the same ****ing company, why are you putting your own assets down?!

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
My quote was not using "you" in the collective sense, but rather it was directed strictly at NWO.

I don't think most Europeans speak better English than me, but their English (their second lanuage) is almost always a damn sight better than my Spanish (my second language).
I wasn't going after you... was just getting into what's taking place and the way language is being learned out there. There's a reason Europeans tend to speak English with passing skill at a higher rate than the other way around. I learned French all through HS and had a year of it in college. However, I've never really had any reason to really use those skills. Same goes for the German I've learned... hard to reinforce what you do know.

Whereas the other way around, they do have some advantages we don't get... which isn't to our benefit over here.

Old
09-18-2010, 04:47 PM
mirimon

We Swedes often pride ourselves of our perfect understanding of the English language... and then one of our few international CEO's tries to hold a press conference without a script written by one of the natives...

Although, that "small people" (he of course meant ordinary people, or the man on the street) comment by Svanberg during the BP scandal wouldn't have been accepted by a 6th grade teacher over here if one of his/her students used it.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 06:01 PM
MsWoof

My background is Greek and I spoke Greek before I learned English even though I was born and raised in Canada. I went to Greece once and my dad and cousins had to translate everything for me because while I can understand basic, slowly spoken Greek, at least half of what they said I couldn't understand. I felt like an idiot trying to speak it and for that reason I had them do all the talking for me. There is no way they would have understood my slangy Greek (we spoke it with our Grandparents who lived here and call it Grenglish) so it was easier to get an accurate picture of what everyone was saying.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Wow, NWO, i'd quit now there fella. You are not winning this one.

Isn't spanish the most used languague in the world?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Valhoun*

I hate how this thread got off topic. Isn't Tim Pannacio a worthless bag of ****** in any language?

Old
09-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I hate how this thread got off topic. Isn't Tim Pannacio a worthless bag of ****** in any language?
Haha yes. Yes he is.

Pwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 11:09 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
OK, c'mon guys no grammar police. We're in this thread for the same reasons...

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 11:10 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Wow, NWO, i'd quit now there fella. You are not winning this one.

Isn't spanish the most used languague in the world?
I'd say it's probably still English. Chinese is huge too.

Edit: Did some of the research legwork and here are the findings.
1: Chinese
2: Spanish
3: English

English and Spanish are very close and hold a wide lead over the next highest language (Bengali). Chinese has more speakers than Spanish, English, and Bengali combined.

Note that these are numbers from 1999, so take it for what it is.

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 11:24 AM
CerpinTaxt

FWIW, China also has the highest populated country in the world.

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 11:35 AM
PF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post
FWIW, China also has the highest populated country in the world.
I believe that the number of people who speak Chinese as a second language is relatively small as compared to English and Spanish.

Like CerpinTaxt (love Volta and At the Drive-in by the way) says, they just have a huge population of native speakers. The number of people with Chinese as a second language will certainly increase given the boom in companies trying to break the market. It's become an important 'business language' over the past several years and therefore also an increasingly marketable skill.

PF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 12:52 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF View Post
I believe that the number of people who speak Chinese as a second language is relatively small as compared to English and Spanish.

Like CerpinTaxt (love Volta and At the Drive-in by the way) says, they just have a huge population of native speakers. The number of people with Chinese as a second language will certainly increase given the boom in companies trying to break the market. It's become an important 'business language' over the past several years and therefore also an increasingly marketable skill.
I think that is the case for most languages. As far as the frequency of a secondary language goes, I think there's a good chance that English would top that list given the global influence the US has. It really is the new French in terms of its uses in business and in international relations.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Chinese start picking up the pace within the next 30-50 years.

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:06 PM
flountown

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
I think that is the case for most languages. As far as the frequency of a secondary language goes, I think there's a good chance that English would top that list given the global influence the US has. It really is the new French in terms of its uses in business and in international relations.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Chinese start picking up the pace within the next 30-50 years.
I always thought the fact that there are more people in China who speak English as a second language, than there are English speaking people in the US.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Jester

That Chinese in general, or a specific dialect (Mandarin). My understanding -- with no experience speaking Chinese -- is that there are pretty significant differences in language throughout China.