HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training Camp Thread - Camp is over, season starts TODAY!

Old
09-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Pattypred

vCash: 500
I specifically watched Kostitsyn today and confirmed my thoughts of yesterday. He looked focused and intent on hockey.

I think BFC's 1st day of school analysis is spot on.

I am really pulling for Kostitsyn this year probably because so many are already writing him off as a loser.

Until proven different, I will support him fully.

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Had tons of fun at the scrimmage today!
A few thoughts

Most impressive-

Goc- that goal he scored was unbelievable. What a snipe over Pickard's shoulder. He just looked great the whole game.

Roman Josi- this could looks like he could live up to the hype.

Lindback- I think he looked significantly better than either Dex or Pickard (the only other two that played)

Lombardi- this guy can flat out skate. Fastest guy on the ice by far.

Least Impressive-

Blum- ouch. He just looked out-of-place. Numerous turnovers, bad passes, etc. I was very disappointed.

Pickard- just did not look that good today. He needs another year in the A

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 05:50 PM
OpenWheel

I enjoyed Burtons' write up at On The Forecheck, about yesterday's opening practice.

Was pleased he said Wilson looked very ready. And I like where he noted a defensive drill where the defenseman was handicapped a little skating backwards and asked to stop the forward. He said Suter beat every forward he was put against.

But the best line:

Quote:
Wade Belak scored on a rocket of a shot from the blueline past Chet Pickard. It was weird.

Forecheck

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 06:11 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Trotz interview post scrimmage mentioned veterans Wilson, Lombardi and Sullivan were impressive today.
Also mentioned Josi, Blum, Flynn and Geoffrion had good outings in todays scrimmage.
Highlights are up on the main website too

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 06:19 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Interesting comment about spliting up Weber and Suter from Cooper's blog. Why not? If you have two strong defensemen and can provide complimentary pairings try it.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
Trotz interview post scrimmage mentioned veterans Wilson, Lombardi and Sullivan were impressive today.
Also mentioned Josi, Blum, Flynn and Geoffrion had good outings in todays scrimmage.
Highlights are up on the main website too
I can think of a whole lot of words to describe Blum's day, but "solid outing" is not on the list...... hopefully it was just an off day.

Old
09-19-2010, 07:06 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I think Kostitsyn will rack up a ton of points if he has a finisher on his line...his passing reminded me of when we added Grebeshkov to our power play--it's just an element that we haven't had. I was very impressed with him. Also liked the hustle I saw out of Thang and Geoffrion. I actually disagree with Trotz on Wilson...I thought he kind of had a rough day. Lombardi looked terrific. Goc was one of the best players for either team, I thought. Agree with the assessment that Pickard looked pretty rough in goal. Lindback and Dekanich were more or less neck and neck for me. Dumont looked pretty good, as did Sullivan. Erat looked a little rusty to me. Among the defensemen, Suter was obviously head and shoulders above everyone else, but I liked Bouillon's play. Klein was...just sort of there. Blum looked decent, and I thought Josi looked fantastic until he got hurt(nothing serious, as I understand it). Hornqvist will lead the club in shots again...he was firing them from everywhere. VERY impressed with Gabriel Bourque, among the young guys. I loved his shootout goal after the first intermission. A little underwhelmed by Matt Halischuk and most of the Milwaukee defensemen(Ford, Van Guilder, Lewis).

Bummed I can't make it out to tomorrow's...really wanted to see a lot of the guys on the blue squad.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 07:08 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
The disinterested etc sounds pretty much par for the course from everything I have seen from him from his days in London and in Montreal. You got yourselves a keeper there.....
I agree. We do. He was awesome today. Soo...

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 07:13 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I agree. We do. He was awesome today. Soo...
I'm pretty sure that guy just lurks until the conversation turns to SK, and then he adds absolutely nothing more than his own bitter take.

I wasn't able to make it to training camp. Had car issues which turned into even bigger issues about an hour ago when someone decided to crash into me. I like what's being said about Wilson, Lombardi, SK to an extent, Josi, etc. Keep the reports coming because from the looks of it I won't be near the ice for a bit.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 07:33 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I think insert pred player will rack up a ton of points if he has a finisher on his line...
we've been saying that every year for the last 11 years.

But yes, I am optimisitic and Im pulling for him so hard simply because nobody else in the NHL is, that is the Predator way, serving crow every season.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Inside Preds writter Josh Cooper mentioned both Lombardi and Wilson as having strong outings.
Also said Dekanich and Lindback having somewhat seperated themselves in the race for back up goal

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Inside Preds writter Josh Cooper mentioned both Lombardi and Wilson as having strong outings.
Also said Dekanich and Lindback having somewhat seperated themselves in the race for back up goal
Agreed. Pickard may be the future, but he has a lot of developing to do between now and then.

Old
09-19-2010, 09:23 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I enjoyed Burtons' write up at On The Forecheck, about yesterday's opening practice.

Was pleased he said Wilson looked very ready. And I like where he noted a defensive drill where the defenseman was handicapped a little skating backwards and asked to stop the forward. He said Suter beat every forward he was put against.

But the best line:

Quote:
Wade Belak scored on a rocket of a shot from the blueline past Chet Pickard. It was weird.

Forecheck
that alone should send Pickard back to Milwaukee, hanging his head in shame

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Two random thoughts i forgot.....

1. Josi >>>>>> Blum

2. One of my favorite moments of the day. Franson dumps it deep for a line change, and Smithson comes charging at him. I expected Franson to get out of the way, but he just stood Smithson up. It was a suprisingly good hit. If he could do that on a regular basis.....

Old
09-20-2010, 12:09 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapp View Post
I suppose I’ll offer up my observations on Kostitsyn which seems to be a little different from a lot of others. I will agree that he didn’t do anything to wow me, today. But I didn’t see anything that left me thinking he was “disinterested”. He was on a line with Lundmark and Hörnqvist. I thought they were very talkative between rushes. I watched Kostitsyn talk with Lundmark multiple times, Lundmark and Hörnqvist talk multiple times, and Hörnqvist and Kostitsyn talk. Who knows what they were talking about, but I assumed they were talking about either what just happened or what they wanted to do on their next go at it. As an example, after one shift, as they waited their turn Kostitsyn skated over to Hörnqvist and started talking and gesturing down ice.

I thought they were one of the more successful lines at scoring during the line exercises today. A tip of the hat goes to Lundmark who really made me take notice as he did most of the scoring on that line. Hörnqvist chipped in a few. I don’t remember Kostitsyn scoring (he may have and I didn’t catch it), but I thought he contributed with a couple of nice passes – and I never caught myself thinking – well he just screwed that up. True, on that line, today, I would have rated him third – because Lundmark did so well, and Hörnqvist brought his normal work ethic around the net. But again, I thought the three, together, were one of the more productive lines.

I normally don’t post my thoughts after practices or even games, but since I didn’t get the impression that Kostitsyn was “disinterested” or “bored”, I thought I’d say so – as a bit of a counterview. It was day one on the ice. I’m more than happy to wait and see how this plays out for all the guys.

(PS - I hate that Klasen may not get a chance to make a case for himself during camp. Hopefully, he will recover from the concussion quickly and be able to start stating his case. I did read in a Swedish paper that this is his first concussion.)
I'm a Knights fan (where SK played Jr) and also a Habs fans. I was curious about how SK was doing so far in camp for the Preds.

Last year when things went totally off the rails for SK in Montreal it was a weird situation. I don't want to bog down your thread with conjecture about what happened, so I'll just stick with the concept mentioned that SK seems "bored or disinterested"

When he got sent down to the AHL last year one of the Habs fans in that AHL town kept harping about the same "bored and disinterested" complaint. Watching him play first hand I sometimes wonder what those folks are talking about. I don't know if folks are just predisposed to label the kid because they don't like him, or because they expect a certain style of play. Or they just aren't used to him

I've watched this kid played since 1995. He's not the type to run around expending a lot of energy just to look like he is doing something. He covers his check on PKs effectively through good positional play and anticipation. He is more of a playmaker than a scorer

In one game in Jr it went to a 5 min OT on the road. The Knights took a penalty with less than 2 minutes so it was 4 on 3. Shortly after they took another penalty which created a 5 on 3 Penalty Kill situation for the balance of the game . SK was on the ice covering the man at the blueline. Without a lot of running around he managed to separate the puck from the man he was covering and go down the ice to score an improbable 2 man short handed game winner.

On powerplays (5 forward power play unit with no D men) SK was the ONLY guy back at the blueline. The other 4 were boxed down low to set up a cycle side to side that often went through SK. Not only was he dependable enough to handle that task without coughing up the puck, if he did have to hustle back on D he did so without any problem

He managed to handle both PK and PP roles successfully without looking like one of those people on a sugar rush. He's not much of a talker. He does have a temper.

As long as he has played for the Belarus national teams (World Jrs, Olympics etc), and he has been a regular, he has always been one of their best players. So I am not getting this whole bored and disinterested angle

I hope Preds fans give the kid a chance. He has had a rough ride the last couple of years and didn't deserve all of the criticism thrown his way. But if you actual see him dog it and cost the team in some way then let him have it. I can't say I ever really saw much of that in Montreal. It mainly seemed to be "off ice" stuff reported in the press that led to negative perception of on ice play

I hope SK works out great for you. In the right situation he can really be an asset

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 07:43 AM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
..snip....
I hope Preds fans give the kid a chance. He has had a rough ride the last couple of years and didn't deserve all of the criticism thrown his way. But if you actual see him dog it and cost the team in some way then let him have it. I can't say I ever really saw much of that in Montreal. It mainly seemed to be "off ice" stuff reported in the press that led to negative perception of on ice play

I hope SK works out great for you. In the right situation he can really be an asset
Thanks for your insight. Some of us are looking forward to what SK can bring to our team and we are pulling for him. We also are not seeing the negatives that some others have stated. Not saying they are wrong - just saying some of us see something completel different.

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
Can anyone tell me why Engren is not in camp?

Thanks!

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 09:54 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
Can anyone tell me why Engren is not in camp?

Thanks!
Per Slake, God it's weird using a Mod as a source, he was sent back to his European team. Nashville's goalie pipeline is overfilled and Engren was the odd man out.

Old
09-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Evgeny Oliker

Josi

Thanks.

What are the chances of Josi making this team this year?

Old
09-20-2010, 10:18 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Thanks.

What are the chances of Josi making this team this year?
Making the team out of camp 15% or lower. The way camp is sounding, this is the deepest team in the history of the club. The talent is on par Josi will be kept in Milwaukee because of the contract flexibility of his 2-way contract. A lot of talent is going to be playing in Milwaukee. As for playing a game or six for the big club in the future it really depends on Josi beating out Blum on the depth chart. Nashville is looking at 21 NHL ready forwards, 12 NHl ready defensemen, and 4 prospects for the back up spot.

Old
09-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:

The fast
Lomardi

The good
Josi
Smithson
Goc
Suter
Hornqvist
Bam Bam
Lindback
Dex
Dumont
Sullivan
Beck
Borque
Franson

The enigma
SK

The bad
Erat
Klein
Pickard
The other Wilson
Ford
Lundmark

The ugly
Klein
Blum
Wilson

I thought Blum and Wilson looked out of place yesterday. Wilson finally turned things on after the first 2 periods, but he made many bad passes and was offsides about five times. Like I said, he turned it up, but man was it bad. His shootout shot was also uninspiring.

Blum- holy Moses. AWFUL day. Bad outlet passes. Bad play along the boards. Turn over, decision making, etc. Just not a good day. He ahd a couple of nice plays but the bad>good

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Making the team out of camp 15% or lower. The way camp is sounding, this is the deepest team in the history of the club. The talent is on par Josi will be kept in Milwaukee because of the contract flexibility of his 2-way contract. A lot of talent is going to be playing in Milwaukee. As for playing a game or six for the big club in the future it really depends on Josi beating out Blum on the depth chart. Nashville is looking at 21 NHL ready forwards, 12 NHl ready defensemen, and 4 prospects for the back up spot.

I understand your points. However, from what everyone is saying, Josi has been outplaying Blum and Blum has not looked good in general.

To me, you have 4 Dmen who are locks:
Weber
Suter
Klein
Boullion

Parent, Franson, and Belak are not locks I think. But let's say one of them, probably Franson, does make the team...that takes you to 5 dmen. That leaves 2 spots, 6th and 7th, as open spots. No point of Josi being the 7th guy, but I think he can maybe make the team as the 6th dman, with Parent making is as the 7th. There is also Ryan Ellis there, but I think Josi is more NHL ready maybe.

So something like this:
Weber - Klein
Suter - Franson
Josi - Boullion
Parent

Old
09-20-2010, 10:38 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Update on Josi, he's in a cast.

http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator.../josi-in-cast/

PS: God I'm beginning to grow fond of Josh Cooper. Nice to have some REAL MSM to read.

Old
09-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
I understand your points. However, from what everyone is saying, Josi has been outplaying Blum and Blum has not looked good in general.

To me, you have 4 Dmen who are locks:
Weber
Suter
Klein
Boullion

Parent, Franson, and Belak are not locks I think. But let's say one of them, probably Franson, does make the team...that takes you to 5 dmen. That leaves 2 spots, 6th and 7th, as open spots. No point of Josi being the 7th guy, but I think he can maybe make the team as the 6th dman, with Parent making is as the 7th. There is also Ryan Ellis there, but I think Josi is more NHL ready maybe.

So something like this:
Weber - Klein
Suter - Franson
Josi - Boullion
Parent
Franson is a lock. Parent is the perfect compliment to Franson. match made in heaven. Josi has been outplaying blum though...

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 10:47 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Josi is out 4-6 weeks with a broken wrist.

http://twitter.com/NHLPredsInsider