HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Caps 3 Canes 1

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2003, 04:53 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Caps 3 Canes 1

Good looking game at least from what i could get from NHL.com.
Lang has two. Bondra his 5th of preseason. Semin and Bondra lead the team with 4 shots on goal. Semin added another assist.
the defensive pairs were
Gonchar-Kiwi Witt-Eminger Doig-Boume

Is anyone still thinking the Caps are making a mistake by giving Semin a spot on one of the two scoring lines and power play time? He is working at a point per game and is getting as many shots as Peter Bondra.
To me he looks like an impact player getting warmer and warmer.

Old
10-03-2003, 05:24 PM
txpd

oops...3-2. the nhl.com scoreboard didnt give up that last goal for a while. another pulled the goalie goal against with 5 seconds to go.
i dont like that trend

Old
10-03-2003, 06:34 PM
braino

Semin

Semin has been mooching over guys making goals. Personally I hope he gets sent back to Russia and I'd like to see Bondra back on the 2nd line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
Good looking game at least from what i could get from NHL.com.
Lang has two. Bondra his 5th of preseason. Semin and Bondra lead the team with 4 shots on goal. Semin added another assist.
the defensive pairs were
Gonchar-Kiwi Witt-Eminger Doig-Boume

Is anyone still thinking the Caps are making a mistake by giving Semin a spot on one of the two scoring lines and power play time? He is working at a point per game and is getting as many shots as Peter Bondra.
To me he looks like an impact player getting warmer and warmer.

Old
10-04-2003, 03:52 AM
PSUhockey34

Semin is still unproven...granted he's done more then what was expected of him and is looking more and more each day that he's going to be an impact player in DC...buts lets see how he does in the NHL on a nightly basis...I wouldn't be suprised if makes it through the entire season but I also wouldn't be suprised if he gets sent back to russia

Old
10-04-2003, 04:21 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by braino
Semin has been mooching over guys making goals. Personally I hope he gets sent back to Russia and I'd like to see Bondra back on the 2nd line.
As of last night the centers have all been moved around.
Halpern is with Jagr now
Zubrus is center for Kono and Bondra...so that is no longer a 3rd line
Lang is center for Grier and Lang.
Talent wise...how would you rank those 3 lines?

As for Semin. Any assist is mooching of guys that score goals. I could be wrong but I think Semin's assist last night was his 5th and ties him with Jagr, who like Semin has not scored yet. On the other side of that though, is that Semin leads or is among the teams shots on goal leaders along with Bondra. You don't mooch off of other players to get shots on goal. Lang scored twice last night, once on a nice feed from Semin.
I am not saying that he is ready to be an allstar. But I am saying that he has performed right with the top line players that he has been playing with and against all while trying as everything is new for him.

Another point worth making is that for the Capitals to be a playoff team this year they will need either a significant career year or two from established players or a surprise significant contribution or both. That means that Jeff Halpern needs to step up to 60pts or Bondra needs 50 again or Eminger or Semin need to establish themselves as true impact players. As this team sits right now. It will miss the playoffs if they get another 80 pts season from Jagr and rookie play from Semin and 7th defenseman play from Kiwi, Grudenand, Boume and rookie play from Eminger. Plain and simple.

Old
10-04-2003, 04:25 AM
txpd

oops...i meant to say lang was center with grier and semin

Closed Thread