HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Cody Hodgson Discussion

Old
09-19-2010, 06:19 PM
lush
@jasonlush

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
I'd rather see him on the first line in Manitoba for five months.
I certainly won't be upset if that's the case. But I want him to make the team.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Tom.H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
I don't like the idea of Hodgson on the 4th line, I would rather see him on the 1st line in Manitoba for 4-5 months. Of course I would rather see make the club, but not on the 4th line.

Tom.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Canuckee

Quote:
I wonder if Hodgson could win the 4th line center job in camp? Rypien isn't much good at center but will probably make the team because AV loves his toughness. Throw out Oreskavich or sometimes Torres on the other wing. Morrison/Malhotra on the third line with Hansen perhaps.

I don't mind the idea of Hodgson working his way out of the trenches. Kesler did that to a certain degree and I like how he learned how to play the physical side of the game well early.
rather have hodgson as mooses 1st line center than our 4th line center playing 5m a game

Canuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 06:30 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckee View Post
rather have hodgson as mooses 1st line center than our 4th line center playing 5m a game
His salary is certainly working against him that's for sure. But he might get a really awesome line going during pre-season. I hope I'm right.

Old
09-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Spamhuis

Quote:
His salary is certainly working against him that's for sure. But he might get a really awesome line going during pre-season. I hope I'm right.
If they had him as a fourth line C salary would not be a factor at all. He would never hit his performance bonuses as a fourth line C. He wouldn't be there because he'd be matching up against goons and being played in silly circumstances.

It's third, second, or moose for cody. I'm leaning towards moose for the first 40 games. It's not like we desperately need him.

Spamhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 06:33 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamhuis View Post
It's third, second, or moose for cody.
I guess I'm just not as convinced this is necessarily the case. I guess only time will tell!

Old
09-19-2010, 06:37 PM
forty47seven

Quote:
Injured winger Alex Burrows, who also practised with Hodgson in Group C, said the centre looked like he could be skating with the full team by the end of the week.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/h...#ixzz101O4yENd
Burrow's isn't a medical expert by any mean but an encouraging assessment none the less. He also said he was very impressed with Hodgson's shiftiness and lateral movement in an interview with Kristen Reid. Can't wait to see him in games.

Last edited by forty47seven: 09-19-2010 at 09:26 PM.
forty47seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 07:10 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Yeah, I get that. I think most of us do.

But he missed most of last year and I'm more concerned with his development at this point. I'd like to see him get lots of essential minutes for a few months, that's all.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Stefan It Up

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 07:33 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Yeah, I get that. I think most of us do.

But he missed most of last year and I'm more concerned with his development at this point. I'd like to see him get lots of essential minutes for a few months, that's all.
We'll have to see how he does in camp, but by the playoffs I would like to see him centering the third line and getting second-unit PP time.

If he has to start in Manitoba, so be it. Come trade deadline/playoffs, I'd like to see him making our third line a little more dynamic.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Rob Zepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
What do you think they were doing with Hodgson all of last week?
It's called Media Training

Making him media aware... conditioning him on what to say and do, so the minions of the media and the various nuck yak forums would not pick apart his every word.

Notice how he's saying the right thngs now... he and the Nucks are now on the same page... but thats about all.

What ever happened in the past, the general public will never know.
He says there is no rift....must be media training.

He says there was a rift....you were right all along.

It is like the question of "have you stopped beating your girlfriend?"

The preconceived notion that there was an issue will never have a satisfactory conclusion for some of you. Simply amazing.

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 10:57 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Zepp View Post
He says there is no rift....must be media training.

He says there was a rift....you were right all along.

It is like the question of "have you stopped beating your girlfriend?"

The preconceived notion that there was an issue will never have a satisfactory conclusion for some of you. Simply amazing.
After he retires age 40 having played every season with the canucks they will be waiting with "Now we get to hear the real story"

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 11:57 PM
crazyforhockey

Lets see in a few days ...hopefully he is moved up to the main camp roster from the C group......then we can see how he looks before i want to see him in the lineup or in manitoba.

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:06 AM
Bobby Lu

A article in the Vancouver sun says he could participate in the scrimmage tomorrow and may be practicing with the big boys by wednesday.

Bobby Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:07 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
After he retires age 40 having played every season with the canucks they will be waiting with "Now we get to hear the real story"
Yeps, we'll all be waiting for the "Hodgson Saga"

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:20 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Good news about Hodgson

Quote:
Training camp -- the complete shocking story

By Iain_MacIntyre 19 Sep 2010

Good evening everyone. Here are my newspaper files after today's practices.

Hodgson back sooner than expected,

Oreskovich was the weekend's warrior

Cody Hodgson's first weekend went well enough that the Vancouver Canucks' long-suffering uber-prospect should be practising and playing with the main team by Wednesday.

There is even a remote chance Hodgson could participate in today's scrimmages before the Canucks split their team and leave Penticton for pre-season games against the Flames Tuesday in Calgary and Vancouver.

Hodgson, who has been battling disc and muscle injuries in his back the last 14 months, probably won't play Tuesday but should be fully participating by Wednesday at the latest.

“I'd like to get going here soon and we'll just have to go through the necessary steps,” the 20-year-old centre said Sunday.

Hodgson practised Saturday and Sunday at the South Okanagan Events Centre's second rink, an Area 51 closed to everyone but for a couple of peep-hole windows. Hodgson thrived among the slightly injured players and fringe prospects and survived “battle drills” that tested his back.

He appeared to have the quickness in his first few strides that was absent last year.

After another game Wednesday, the Canucks have two practice days before a final charge of five pre-season games in seven nights. Hodgson could play in three or four of those, giving himself a chance to yet make the opening-night lineup.

V FOR VICTOR: No one dominated the Canucks' first weekend, but winger Victor Oreskovich was one of the most prominent prospects among candidates with a genuine chance to win a job.

At 6-3 and 225 pounds, the 24-year-old is hard to miss. But it's his speed and physical presence, his eagerness to play in traffic and get to the net, that has set him apart from others.

He has been skating on a line with Daniel Sedin and Brendan Morrison, and that prestigious posting tells you what the Canucks think of the Oreskovich, acquired in June in the Keith Ballard trade with Florida.

“It's only been two practices, but I think our line is playing really well,” Oreskovich said. “Everything's gone awesome so far. The first two skates have gone really, really well. Playing with Morrison and Sedin is amazing. It makes my life a lot easier.”

Oreskovich makes life difficult on defencemen. He has the size and sandpaper the Canucks lacked last season on their bottom two forward lines.

“He's a big body but he can also skate,” Morrison said. “He can get to places. I think in the first two days of camp he has already knocked the net off two or three times getting to the net. He's a big body, man.”

Morrison's tryout has started solidly, too. The centre from Pitt Meadows said he'll embrace any role the Canucks offer him. Although Morrison is hardly a typical, grinding fourth-liner, the Canucks are not predisposed to using that type of player as their fourth centre.

FIRST-LINE AUDITIONS: Henrik Sedin skated the last two days between Aaron Volpatti and Rick Rypien. When the wondertwins' powers are reactivated together, coach Alain Vigneault will start experimenting with potential linemates to fill-in for injured winger Alex Burrows.

Recovering from shoulder surgery, Burrows practised on the weekend with Hodgson and others in Group C, but did not participate in contact drills. A finer time frame for Burrows' return will be established after a strength test this week.

Even if Mikael Samuelsson is promoted from the second line to replace Burrows, as expected, the Canucks still need another skill player for the top-six. Candidates include Sergei Shirokov, Jeff Tambellini and Morrison. Or Manny Malhotra or Raffi Torres could be moved up the depth chart.

Vigneault will seek input from the Sedins before choosing their linemate.

“Whenever he wants to change things on our line, he always has a good conversation with us,” Henrik said. “He has the final word but we're going to talk, for sure.”

LONELY AT THE TOP: Former Vancouver Giant Kevin Connauton, a standout at the prospects tournament last week, had another good weekend and appears to lead the group of young defencemen the Canucks will cultivate this season in the American League.

Connauton really stood out Saturday morning when he volunteered to lead teammates on to the ice only to discover he was twirling alone in front of confused fans.

“Dan Hamhuis stopped on me,” Connauton said of the walk to the ice. “They were saying: 'Who's going to go first.' I said I would and then suddenly I was out there on my own. All in good fun.”

imacintyre@vancouversun.com

twitter.com/imacvansun
http://communities.c...king-story.aspx

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:05 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
Good news about Hodgson
Better news about Oreskovich.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:10 AM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Best news about saving 15% or more on car insurance.

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:13 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
He seems like the player we really missed last season in the bottom 6. It's kinda nice knowing we have the size there now with Malhotra, Torres and Oreskovich.

Old
09-20-2010, 01:15 AM
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
Yeah that's really exciting to see. It sounds like he's driving the net like it's nobody's business. Sounds like he could be a real AV type player.

Old
09-20-2010, 01:16 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
VO looking good

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:20 AM
Proto

Roscoe the Wrecking Ball. He's been my pick as "surest player to make the team" out of the maybes. Glad to hear he's started out with the right mindset.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:21 AM
windflare

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
Best news about saving 15% or more on car insurance.
What?

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:31 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Yeah that's really exciting to see. It sounds like he's driving the net like it's nobody's business. Sounds like he could be a real AV type player.
He certainly comes as advertised and it is clear why the Canucks wanted him included in the trade.

I watched a few Panther games last year and he really stood out - big, fast and hit like a Mack truck. The first couple of times I thought who the the heck is this guy? When he came over in the trade I thought the Canucks could have a real diamond in the rough. Hopefully he fulfills his potential.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:31 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
What?
haha it's a ad on TV!... just laugh! haha