HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Drury Out 4 Weeks - Broken Finger

Old
09-20-2010, 11:58 AM
ruckus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
What is wrong with some of you? At some point you need to look past the fact that SATHER handed out the bad contract to drury that summer. It wasnt like there were reports of drury asking for so much money and dragging out the process of nailing down a contract. It happened fast which should lead everyone to believe that sather clearly caved in. Drury is still a valuable hockey player. He plays hard whether you want to believe it or not. You can continuously be ignorant and be angry at him for the contract he has or you can finally come back down to earth now that its been what 3-4 years that hes been here and realize the type of player he actually is. He broke is finger blocking a shot in a SCRIMMAGE. The guy does have intangibles. No it didnt warrant the contract that he has, but he does so many things. Yeah itd be nice if he scored more, but that hasnt happened. He still is a great PKer, shot blocker, defensive forward, and I believe a good leader. Grow up already.

Unfortunately this is professional sports, and contracts play a huge role in how a player is viewed. That's only fair, given that it effects the rest of the team.

I'm no Drury hater, but his contract is a burden.

Don't get all bent out of shape because some people actually pay attention to contracts in a league with a salary cap in a professional sport.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 11:58 AM
pwoz

Good news. Time to see who else has $7m intangibles.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 11:59 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
I don't think MZA should be a scratch. Here or Hartford. And as far as I'm concerned, here. Kennedy, no thanks. Same for White.
If anybody should go it should be EC. Todd White is a highly skilled player just like MZA, except he's proven he can do it at the NHL level.

I think White deserves the benefit of the doubt over MZA simply because all he needs to prove is that he's healthy.

If MZA isnt playing on the top-2 lines, then he's really of no use. Kennedy is a great 4th liner. An energy guy with skill and smarts.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:00 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
What is wrong with some of you? At some point you need to look past the fact that SATHER handed out the bad contract to drury that summer. It wasnt like there were reports of drury asking for so much money and dragging out the process of nailing down a contract. It happened fast which should lead everyone to believe that sather clearly caved in. Drury is still a valuable hockey player. He plays hard whether you want to believe it or not. You can continuously be ignorant and be angry at him for the contract he has or you can finally come back down to earth now that its been what 3-4 years that hes been here and realize the type of player he actually is. He broke is finger blocking a shot in a SCRIMMAGE. The guy does have intangibles. No it didnt warrant the contract that he has, but he does so many things. Yeah itd be nice if he scored more, but that hasnt happened. He still is a great PKer, shot blocker, defensive forward, and I believe a good leader. Grow up already.
Very well said. The guy's contract is ridiculous, but he's a great guy who is willing to sacrifice anything and everything to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Thats too bad. But it wont kill us. It may give guys like White, Boyle, or Stepan a shot where they might not have had otherwise.

I will be interested to see if they substitute a Captain for the first five games or so that he misses.
I'm excited to see Callahan with the C too

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:01 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Should only miss 3 or 4 games then correct?

Not the greatest news, but could be worse.
Maybe.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:03 PM
UAGoalieGuy

i think Drury's cap hit still counts against the cap and the Rangers cannot exceed the cap by his salary amount because he will not be on LTIR. So the Rangers still have to clear $4 million or so in cap space and have a player replace Drury in the line-up.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:04 PM
17futurecap

Like others have said 4 weeks seems like a long time, but really only 3 regular season games.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:04 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Unfortunately this is professional sports, and contracts play a huge role in how a player is viewed. That's only fair, given that it effects the rest of the team.

I'm no Drury hater, but his contract is a burden.

Don't get all bent out of shape because some people actually pay attention to contracts in a league with a salary cap in a professional sport.
Did you even read the post you're responding to? He's not bent out of shape because people pay attention to contracts. He's bent out of shape because people are saying its a good thing that the captain of the NYR is going to miss the beginning of the season when he's a hard worker and a dedicated captain who is ultimately an asset to this team.

You talk as though disliking him for his contract someone lessens the burden that it causes. It doesn't.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
This is good stuff. The young players watching their captain put his body in front of a puck in a SCRIMMAGE.
Is that a good thing? I was thinking it wasn't smart. "PRACTICE! WE TALKN PRACTICE! NOT A GAME! PRACTICE"

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:06 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Like others have said 4 weeks seems like a long time, but really only 3 regular season games.
Damn

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Hope he heals up fast. My money is on Chris to score 30 goals this year. He is wayyyy too proud of a player to have two crappy seasons in a row.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:09 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
i think Drury's cap hit still counts against the cap and the Rangers cannot exceed the cap by his salary amount because he will not be on LTIR. So the Rangers still have to clear $4 million or so in cap space and have a player replace Drury in the line-up.
I think you're right. Rangers only get cap relief if he goes on the LTIR and it's not going to start counting until the season actually begins.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:10 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni94 View Post
This is most definitely a blessing in disguise.
Based on what?

09-20-2010, 12:11 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The Drury hate is out of control and ridiculous. He's overpaid. He has a bad contract. But this isn't Wade Redden. Drury plays hard and is one the teams best penalty killers. He does not embarrass the team.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I don't think it is a good thing that he is out; but it isn't exactly on the same proportion as a Staal, Gaborik or Lundqvist injury or even a Girardi injury.

Plus hes a tenured vet so he doesnt even really need the preseason that badly.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:13 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Hope he heals up fast. My money is on Chris to score 30 goals this year. He is wayyyy too proud of a player to have two crappy seasons in a row.
Find something less risky to bet your money on.

He's a 2nd-3rd line tweener and IMO would be better off on the wing. I don't see him getting better. I see him getting older, slower and less effective.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:14 PM
satrabyk

I already know what Joe is going to say if we start the year bad, "Well not having Drury in the line-up with so many good things he does that dont always get noticed really hurts the team". LOl anyway room to see someone else given a try.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:15 PM
NYR Viper

I don't see this changing anything for camp or even the team. Honestly, Torts wants 3 scratches, one will be in the line-up for the beginning of the season. Hopefully this means an opportunity for Kennedy.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:16 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I think he'll have a better sesason. But I'd be very surprised if he is ever put in a situation where he could score 30 goals. I can't see him getting much PP time.

Old
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
I already know what Joe is going to say if we start the year bad, "Well not having Drury in the line-up with so many good things he does that dont always get noticed really hurts the team". LOl anyway room to see someone else given a try.
Yeah, what does Joe know.

Old
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The Drury hate is out of control and ridiculous. He's overpaid. He has a bad contract. But this isn't Wade Redden. Drury plays hard and is one the teams best penalty killers. He does not embarrass the team.
Thats all penalty killing, which i would still take Betts or guys like him over Drury anyday on the PK. The hate is warranted as it is ridicilous that we have to watch him play as if he is a top tier player.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Its pretty absurd that some people are trying to paint this as a blessing considering our situation at center. We were already one of the worst teams down the middle in the NHL. Without Drury in the lineup, we might be the worst.

Also this should have no bearing on the Stepan situation. If hes given a spot on the roster just because Drury is down, its likely to hurt his development. He has to win a spot and the coaching staff needs to determine him NHL ready regardless of injuries.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Thats all penalty killing, which i would still take Betts or guys like him over Drury anyday on the PK. The hate is warranted as it is ridicilous that we have to watch him play as if he is a top tier player.
Yeah, who needs to watch effort. The guy has done pretty much everything that's been asked of him. He's not performing like a top tier player? Guess what — he never was one.

Old
mullichicken25

how can people be happy drury is out of the lineup? ridiculousness...

his contract isnt gone...he's just not going to be able to play

He's not Redden. He is undoubtably and NHL player and a solid 2nd-3rd liner on almost every team in the NHL

this ONLY hurts the team...we need wins where we can get them and Drury usually starts the year off pretty well

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:20 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

This is mainly bad news based strictly on the fact that Wade Redden has the ability to make the team now, at least a lot more-so than before. Drury on the IR would open up the cap space for him to make the team.

Now what I envision happening is him winning a spot, playing for a few games, and eventually they realize they made a mistake, send him down, and Drury comes back on the team.

This is still trouble though. Nobody wants to see Redden play in a NYR uniform this year. The larger issue at hand is not that Drury will miss a few games, it's that Redden's chances of making the team have suddenly intensified.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote