HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Chris Drury Out 4 Weeks - Broken Finger

Old
09-20-2010, 12:21 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Technically his contract is gone while on IR, but its irrelevant because nothing less than a multi year inury could allow us to actually use the cap space it gave us. And i'd never wish that on a player anyways.

So we have the inconvenience of losing our 3rd line center and captain for a couple games. We shouldn't celebrate but we shouldn't be either.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think he'll have a better sesason. But I'd be very surprised if he is ever put in a situation where he could score 30 goals. I can't see him getting much PP time.
Well he is coming off the worst season of his career goal scoring wise and he still put up half of that. He is still capable of scoring 20 and if injuries happen, which they always do, 30 isn't out of the question.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:25 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I think you're right. Rangers only get cap relief if he goes on the LTIR and it's not going to start counting until the season actually begins.
If he goes on LTIR, he still counts against the cap, but we'd be allowed to replace him with any number of players with cap hits totaling up to 7.05 mil, even if we go over the cap.

It's still in our best interest to get under the cap for day 1 so we aren't eating up cap dollars that can be used at the trade deadline and/or to pay off performance bonuses so they don't roll over into 2011.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Giovanni94

Quote:
Based on what?
Figuring it will give a roster spot to someone who would otherwise get cut. Not that they would be in for extremely long, seeing as how it's only something like 3 actual games.

The timing and the extent of this injury actually makes it a non-issue as far as the roster is concerned with respect to the overall composure of the team.

Ultimately I view it as a bump in the road for Drury, but a sort of enticement for the guys who could potentially make the team to push even harder now that there is an extra unexpected slot that has opened up.

Overall, this is not going to have an effect on our season and eventually it will be a "Hey remember when Drury busted his finger during camp?" moment.

Giovanni94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

This blows.

The positive is it gives an opportunity for some other leaders to step up I guess. I don't think thats a bad thing

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

So he'll be missing about 5 regular season games I guess.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:27 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni94 View Post
Figuring it will give a roster spot to someone who would otherwise get cut. Not that they would be in for extremely long, seeing as how it's only something like 3 actual games.

The timing and the extent of this injury actually makes it a non-issue as far as the roster is concerned with respect to the overall composure of the team.

Ultimately I view it as a bump in the road for Drury, but a sort of enticement for the guys who could potentially make the team to push even harder now that there is an extra unexpected slot that has opened up.

Overall, this is not going to have an effect on our season and eventually it will be a "Hey remember when Drury busted his finger during camp?" moment.
And what happens when Drury comes back?

09-20-2010, 12:29 PM
ThirdEye

If it's only like 3 or 4 games then it definitely isn't a big deal. I forgot there's still a few weeks until the season starts, so I thought it would more like 10.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:32 PM
wa2k99

Brutal news. Almost no injuries last year, and now they are already starting.

wa2k99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Giovanni94

Quote:
And what happens when Drury comes back?
Obviously he takes a spot where he fits in, wherever that spot is at that time. He'll be put back in the line up, but at what capacity I don't know, it depends on the circumstances at that time.

It's not like I said lets throw him under the bus, I was trying to make a point of how something good could come out of a situation that otherwise is bad.

What do you think they're going to do when he comes back?

Giovanni94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:36 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni94 View Post
Obviously he takes a spot where he fits in, wherever that spot is at that time. He'll be put back in the line up, but at what capacity I don't know, it depends on the circumstances at that time.

It's not like I said lets throw him under the bus, I was trying to make a point of how something good could come out of a situation that otherwise is bad.

What do you think they're going to do when he comes back?
I don't think they're going to do anything. If a kid wins a spot, it will be regardless of Drury. And it will likely be on one of the top two lines.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
I don't think they're going to do anything. If a kid wins a spot, it will be regardless of Drury. And it will likely be on one of the top two lines.
Wouldn't be unheard of to give Drury's spot to someone else for 3 or 4 games to see how they handle real NHL competition/speed etc.

It's happened before.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:46 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Based on what?
More ice time in special situations for AA and possibly Stepan.

Those two guys mean much more to me than Drury. I don't think Drury makes or breaks the team in the standings, but there is no substitute for NHL game experience.

I'd much rather see Stepan on the ice than Drury. Not from a skill standpoint (yet), but because I think the Rangers are heading in the right direction instead of being there already.

But I dont have season tickets, so I can see the flip side too.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:48 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
What is wrong with some of you? At some point you need to look past the fact that SATHER handed out the bad contract to drury that summer. It wasnt like there were reports of drury asking for so much money and dragging out the process of nailing down a contract. It happened fast which should lead everyone to believe that sather clearly caved in. Drury is still a valuable hockey player. He plays hard whether you want to believe it or not. You can continuously be ignorant and be angry at him for the contract he has or you can finally come back down to earth now that its been what 3-4 years that hes been here and realize the type of player he actually is. He broke is finger blocking a shot in a SCRIMMAGE. The guy does have intangibles. No it didnt warrant the contract that he has, but he does so many things. Yeah itd be nice if he scored more, but that hasnt happened. He still is a great PKer, shot blocker, defensive forward, and I believe a good leader. Grow up already.

Not a great Pker (poor agility, tendency to flub clearing attempts)

Yes he is a willing shot blocker

Not a great defensive forward (poor agility, poor backcheck speed, cannot outmuscle opponents). His perception as a great defensive forward is due to the fact he plays a defensive minded game in that hes always playing safe. He's playing a penalty killing style when the game is 5 on 5.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:48 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

I'd say if Stepan stays consistently good throughout camp and pre-season he'll have a spot on this roster at least until Drury comes back from injury which is like others have said only about 4 games.

But if Stepan is here for those four games and making an impact then hell yeah keep him around and lose a guy like White or EC.

Opening night without Dru (in the scenario that Stepan earns it)

Fro - Step - Gabby
Dubi - Anisimov - MZA
Avery - Prospal - Callahan
Kennedy - White/Boyle - Prust/Boogaard

If Stepan doesn't win that spot then it'll either be EC or Prospal up there on that top line. It's good to have depth, even if our depth isn't great, we have options.

Missing Drury is gonna hurt the PK, but that's probably it. Funny how that's what I'm worried about, the PK, when a $7MIL player goes down for a few games.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:51 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
The Drury hate is out of control and ridiculous. He's overpaid. He has a bad contract. But this isn't Wade Redden. Drury plays hard and is one the teams best penalty killers. He does not embarrass the team.
It's his age. He just turned 34 and is coming off a bad season (by his standards).

This isnt baseball where guys get better with age. Drury sort of revitalized his reputation in the Olympics, but the concern now is can he stay healthy and produce as a 3rd line center.

I'm so over his cap hit. I've learned to live it (too bad not literally). Drury hasnt been that bad. Just give me one GWG in the playoffs or a series clincher and I'll be happy.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Gemma

No intangibles for 4 weeks?!?!!?

Gemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:53 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Wouldn't be unheard of to give Drury's spot to someone else for 3 or 4 games to see how they handle real NHL competition/speed etc.

It's happened before.
Yeah, but then what?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:54 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2k99 View Post
Brutal news. Almost no injuries last year, and now they are already starting.

hank
gabby
staal
girardi
mdz
rozy
dubi
cally
frolov

arguably...
anisimov
prospal
avery

All these guys listed are more important to this year's team IMO. Not to mention our 3rd pairing dmen if they are solid become more valuable and MZA/stepan/grachev certainly have the potential. I wouldnt call a 5 game injury to a guy on the back end of the roster a "brutal injury".

no injury to this team would be brutal besides hank, gabby, staal, and maybe mdz since we have no other pp qb.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

The truth about Drury (as with a lot of other topics on this board) is somewhere in the middle...

He's not as bad as some make him out to be... but he isn't worth his contract and spent some time on the 4th line last season... meaning he hasn't been preforming the way management wants either.

I know he does a lot of little things right... the problem is we signed a guy who did those things AND potted 20 or so goals yr consistently. That didn't happen last yr and we could have used the extra 6-10 that he didn't net.

Badly.

Old
09-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I'd say if Stepan stays consistently good throughout camp and pre-season he'll have a spot on this roster at least until Drury comes back from injury which is like others have said only about 4 games.

But if Stepan is here for those four games and making an impact then hell yeah keep him around and lose a guy like White or EC.

Opening night without Dru (in the scenario that Stepan earns it)

Fro - Step - Gabby
Dubi - Anisimov - MZA
Avery - Prospal - Callahan
Kennedy - White/Boyle - Prust/Boogaard

If Stepan doesn't win that spot then it'll either be EC or Prospal up there on that top line. It's good to have depth, even if our depth isn't great, we have options.

Missing Drury is gonna hurt the PK, but that's probably it. Funny how that's what I'm worried about, the PK, when a $7MIL player goes down for a few games.
This is the correct answer.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:01 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

does Drury now qualify for LTIR? how much cap are we saving here? I imagine at his hit, and around 7 months in the regular season, it'd be $1M.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Just gotta hope this doesn't allow Redden to even sniff making the team.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Yeah, but then what?
What do you mean? There are too many scenarios to write them down.

Here's one:

They keep Stepan on for 3 or 4 games to get a bit more of a look.

He preforms magically.

Drury returns.

Drury plays wing, or Prospal plays wing, & or someone gets sent down, traded, waived.

Stepan stays.

Or the opposite:

They keep Stepan and he doesn't perform.

Drury returns.

Stepan goes to HFD.

Old
09-20-2010, 01:07 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I'm hoping we get to see a young one take their shot.

I don't get the sticking up for Drury either. Not that good of a captain or player.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote