HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Chris Drury Out 4 Weeks - Broken Finger

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-20-2010, 02:19 PM
  #101
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 21,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
He'll be on the home opening roster' book it.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:19 PM
  #102
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Asking people what's wrong with them and telling them to grow up sounds like someone who's bent out of shape to me.

Especially considering the answer to your own question is completely obvious.

Whether or not you want to debate the decency of individuals who couldn't care less that the guy is injured is another thing.

It's about the contract. That's all it is.

All the hate, the venom, the vitriol. It's the contract.

If he didn't make as much, he would be viewed differently by some.

He makes a ton though, and no matter how formidable he is at what he does, he's never going to live up to that.

Some people choose to ignore that fact, while others hold onto it.

It's pretty simple really.
I understand what you are saying. I agree with most of it. I understand why people are angry or dislike him. But at some point it gets to the level of redundant. Being happy someone is out 4 weeks is morally wrong imo. I dont care what his contract is.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:20 PM
  #103
XLJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,353
vCash: 500
People dont like Drury because he is a third line player making 7 million dollars. Him and Redden are the two players that are holding back the franchise. Too bad its only 4 weeks. But now Stepan has a great shot making the team.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:20 PM
  #104
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
He scored 37 goals the year before that retarded contract.. then 25, 22, 14, so don't blame me for hating the useless-other-than-PKing-for-7-million-a-year.
I have some numbers for you as well:
4:25, 3:57, 3:34, 2:03

Now, what could those numbers be? Well, it just happens to be Drury's TOI/G on the PP over the last 4 years (including his last year in Buffalo). Why is that relevant you ask? Well, here's four more numbers:

17, 12, 10, 2

Thats the total number of PPG's scored per year over the last three years. 47% of his goals in those first 3 years came from the power-play. Now, in his infinite wisdom, Tortorella decided to not only cut his PP time significantly, but also use him at the point for a significant portion of that time.

Now, I'm no mathematician, but it seems pretty clear to me that there's been a pretty distinct correlation between his PP time, and his goal production. I'd imagine if you graphed those values, you'd see a pretty linear curve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Look I gave him 1 year and it's been 3 miserable years.
If you count being at the top of the team in goal scoring his first two years here as "miserable," then that's your own fault for having ridiculous standards. Then again, I suppose some people just can't accept reality.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:21 PM
  #105
Midnight85
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 431
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Midnight85 Send a message via MSN to Midnight85
I can't wait till they resign him after his contract ends... just so we can see what happens here.

Its a big loss not having him around. He wouldn't have played much in camp but I think is presence, leading by example, blocking shots in scrimages, etc will be missed.

Midnight85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:22 PM
  #106
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,836
vCash: 500
Guys, money aside, Drury is a competant player and an excellent penalty killer.

Unfortunately, there is no more "money aside". It's not 2003. Every player will always have his stats on one side of the scale and his cap hit on the other, as long as there is a salary cap.

Was I happy when Drury signed? Yes
Was he worth the money? If we won the Cup, yes.
Has he been the Chris Drury we expected? yes and no.
Is Drury going anywhere? No
Can the Rangers still use him? Yes

I'm a realist. I have zero expectations from this guy offensively. Sure, it's fashionable for Torts to say " We need 'Player X' to score to be an effective hockey team". I got it. But the truth of the matter is that Drury is a 3rd line center who kills penalties and can help out on the PP.

In 1991, if you asked me, who would you rather play more: Kelly Kisio or Doug Weight, i would have said Kisio. But in hindsight, the obvious answer was Weight.

The Rangers are a better team with Drury healthy, but in all honesty, it might be best for the organization to give Stepan a look. If there was ever a question about i before Drury getting hurt, there should be no question now.

Play Stepan. Play him with Gaborik. Play him till he pukes.


Play Stepan. The kid will thank them for it later on.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:24 PM
  #107
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
People dont like Drury because he is a third line player making 7 million dollars. Him and Redden are the two players that are holding back the franchise. Too bad its only 4 weeks. But now Stepan has a great shot making the team.
Stepan makes this team based on merit, not whether drury got hurt or not. Drury's injury is irrelevant. Ignorance is bliss.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:26 PM
  #108
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,215
vCash: 500
I don't think it has a thing to do with 'hate' or 'not hate'--or even 'can do wrong' or 'can do no wrong'. Drury's contract has hurt us because he has never been able to live up to the standards you would expect of someone making the kind of money he has. His contract hurts us because it limits our ability to rectify the balance in skill level with the better/contending teams. It's part of the reason we've become a mediocrity.

IMO age is catching up with him. It happens. It happens sooner or later to everyone. Is he still NHL capable? Of course. More in a 3rd line way though. You don't pay $7 mil per for that. Or not if you want to be a good team. Is it his fault that Sather gave him that contract? No. But it still doesn't make the problem go away. The problem will only go away when his contract is up. Does his injury hurt us for now? Quite possibly.

In any case--one more thing. I don't think he's that hot of a captain. To be honest I'm not sure we have anyone apart from maybe Lundqvist that I think would make a good captain--but he's not a good captain. Too low key and a blah personality.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:29 PM
  #109
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,631
vCash: 500
The money is SATHER's issue, not sure how money entered the discussion

Drury is here, until he isn't, his contract has nothing to do with the discussion about how this affects camp or a guy like Stepan.

Did you really think Stepan left school cause the Ranger's said 'we wont give you a close look and there may not be a roster spot for ya especially if Chris Drury is healthy'

Newsflash - they were gonna give him the biggest opportunity to make the team regardless of injuries to any player.

Drury being injured should not please any Ranger fan, we already have a shortage of Vets I'd want these kids taking notes from.

And its never a great thing when a player is just handed a spot, like everything, everyone is happier when its earned.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:32 PM
  #110
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,269
vCash: 50
Blessing in disguise. It's imperative to our future that Stepan gets good ice time. This assures he will and I believe he'll capitalize on the first line between Frolov and Gaborik. No disrespect to Drury, but this is good for the team if it means that Stepan gets to make the team and stay in the lineup. When Drury gets back this would likely mean EC gets the boot and will either be in Hartford or just a healthy scratch.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:34 PM
  #111
MSG the place to be*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Guys, money aside, Drury is a competant player and an excellent penalty killer.

Unfortunately, there is no more "money aside". It's not 2003. Every player will always have his stats on one side of the scale and his cap hit on the other, as long as there is a salary cap.

Was I happy when Drury signed? Yes
Was he worth the money? If we won the Cup, yes.
Has he been the Chris Drury we expected? yes and no.
Is Drury going anywhere? No
Can the Rangers still use him? Yes

I'm a realist. I have zero expectations from this guy offensively. Sure, it's fashionable for Torts to say " We need 'Player X' to score to be an effective hockey team". I got it. But the truth of the matter is that Drury is a 3rd line center who kills penalties and can help out on the PP.

In 1991, if you asked me, who would you rather play more: Kelly Kisio or Doug Weight, i would have said Kisio. But in hindsight, the obvious answer was Weight.

The Rangers are a better team with Drury healthy, but in all honesty, it might be best for the organization to give Stepan a look. If there was ever a question about i before Drury getting hurt, there should be no question now.

Play Stepan. Play him with Gaborik. Play him till he pukes.


Play Stepan. The kid will thank them for it later on.
Aside from his willingness to block shots, this is not true.

One. Poor agility. Two. Not particularly strong at removing man from puck. Three. Flubs clearing attempts. Four. He is a dumper (1 shortie with the Rangers).

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:35 PM
  #112
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I don't think it has a thing to do with 'hate' or 'not hate'--or even 'can do wrong' or 'can do no wrong'. Drury's contract has hurt us because he has never been able to live up to the standards you would expect of someone making the kind of money he has. His contract hurts us because it limits our ability to rectify the balance in skill level with the better/contending teams. It's part of the reason we've become a mediocrity.

IMO age is catching up with him. It happens. It happens sooner or later to everyone. Is he still NHL capable? Of course. More in a 3rd line way though. You don't pay $7 mil per for that. Or not if you want to be a good team. Is it his fault that Sather gave him that contract? No. But it still doesn't make the problem go away. The problem will only go away when his contract is up. Does his injury hurt us for now? Quite possibly.

In any case--one more thing. I don't think he's that hot of a captain. Too low key and a blah personality.
Thankfully your opinion is irrelevant. Seems like most people when actually under his captaincy, have had nothing but positive things to say.

And honestly, how can you win - you try to be vocal as hell(Crosby) and the fans brand you a whiner, you shut up and let your play speak for itself(Drury) and you're 'too low key'.

Haters are gonna hate no matter what facts smack them across the face on a daily basis.

And besides Messier the great, name 2 Ranger captains that were ever not low key and blah???

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:36 PM
  #113
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 21,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Aside from his willingness to block shots, this is not true.

One. Poor agility. Two. Not particularly strong at removing man from puck. Three. Flubs clearing attempts. Four. He is a dumper (1 shortie with the Rangers).

The words chris drury and bad penalty killer don't go in the same sentence.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:38 PM
  #114
pwoz
Registered User
 
pwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,450
vCash: 500
Crosby whines and we call him out on it, but at least Pens' fans can say their captain is almost guaranteed 100+ point seasons the next 10+ years!

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:41 PM
  #115
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
I understand what you are saying. I agree with most of it. I understand why people are angry or dislike him. But at some point it gets to the level of redundant. Being happy someone is out 4 weeks is morally wrong imo. I dont care what his contract is.
I think it's more about the business of fan mentality rather than a moral question. I mean, is a wrestling fan immoral when their most hated wrestler is busted up and appears to be losing? Is it morally wrong that I want to see Floyd Mayweather get knocked out? Is it wrong that someone would prefer Drury not be on the team either via trade/waive or IR List? I don't think so. Right or wrong, he IS one of the perceived villains on this team.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:45 PM
  #116
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Thankfully your opinion is irrelevant. Seems like most people when actually under his captaincy, have had nothing but positive things to say.

And honestly, how can you win - you try to be vocal as hell(Crosby) and the fans brand you a whiner, you shut up and let your play speak for itself(Drury) and you're 'too low key'.

Haters are gonna hate no matter what facts smack them across the face on a daily basis.

And besides Messier the great, name 2 Ranger captains that were ever not low key and blah???
I think too much emphasis is placed on the 'C' by fans. Like there's supposed to be some moment each season where you get an Oscar-worthy rousing speech by the captain which, of course, turns it all around (cue Rocky theme). In my equally irrelevent opinion, the captain plans the parties and argues with the ref. He's not the sole keeper of the conch shell. If he can contribute and help win games, well, he can wear the C the A or the XYZ for all I care.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:50 PM
  #117
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP
 
GirouxCouturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
Good news for the flyers fans

GirouxCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:53 PM
  #118
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by girouxrichards View Post
Good news for the flyers fans
I hope you don't believe in karma, it'd suck if your captain got hurt, no?

(and this is significant enough for Flyer fans to breathe a sigh of relief?? )

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:55 PM
  #119
ZacUSNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Upstate, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I hope you don't believe in karma, it'd suck if your captain got hurt, no?

(and this is significant enough for Flyer fans to breathe a sigh of relief?? )
Yes Nik Zherdev only plays bad when Chris Drury is within 50 feet of him.

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:55 PM
  #120
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 15,967
vCash: 873
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortsNeedsMoreJam View Post
Did some of you (and I include the suicide bridge jumpers) really expect him to score 30 goals again?
Do I expect it?

No.

Can he do that?

Yes he can.

I expect the following numbers from Chris Drury (even with the boo-boo'd finger)

75 games played

23 goals and 30 Assists for 53 points.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:56 PM
  #121
NYR94
Registered User
 
NYR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,685
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Bad news. I hope it heals as quickly as possible.

And I agree with posters who noted that Drury's goal production has the potential to rebound if he gets more power play time. At this point though I don't know how that will play out with Gaborik, Prospal and Frolov possibly ahead of him in Tortorella's eyes. But I still think he can be productive there again. Gaborik to snipe, Frolov/Prospal to set up and Drury to hover around the slot and crease to pounce on rebounds.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:57 PM
  #122
pwoz
Registered User
 
pwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,450
vCash: 500
Drury will not pass 28 points. Book it.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 03:04 PM
  #123
MSG the place to be*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
The words chris drury and bad penalty killer don't go in the same sentence.
I didn't say he was bad. He is ordinary.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 03:04 PM
  #124
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Do I expect it?

No.

Can he do that?

Yes he can.

I expect the following numbers from Chris Drury (even with the boo-boo'd finger)

75 games played

23 goals and 30 Assists for 53 points.

Only 5 forwards aged 34 or older scored over 53 points last year and all of those players played top line minutes.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 03:05 PM
  #125
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,654
vCash: 500
Awards:
Too bad for Chris.

This is in no way beneficial to us. It's ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.