Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL

WHL Prospects Missing Games?

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2005, 10:55 AM
CurtisJD13

vCash: 500
WHL Prospects Missing Games?

This season, I had season tickets to see my favorite WHL team, the Spokane Chiefs. When I got my ticket package and schedule, I was really excited to get the chance to see some of the WHLers who have been drafted by NHL teams, but due to the lockout were forced to play Junior hockey.

This is the story of my bad luck with these prospects, the ones I list are players from teams I'll probably not see for 2 more seasons, the rest I may get to see next season if the lockout continues...

Vancouver, October 15, player I'm looking forward to: Gilbert Brule. Brule makes it into the lineup, and through the first half of the first period really impresses me, in fact, he gets a breakaway from the red line in! Then, he is subsequently tripped, crashes into the net and leaves the game with a bruised thigh.

Bad luck begins.

November 9, Red Deer and Dion Phaneuf is nowhere to be seen
November 20: Calgary's Getzlaf wins 1st star award! No Andy Rogers, and Ladd gets a game misconduct for slashing.
January 8: Medicine Hat: Cam Barker has Mono
February 12: Vancouver again, another shot at Brule? No, he has the flu, didn't make the trip.

This is coupled with the fact that our team finished last in the division, out of the playoff hunt, and the players that missed games for the teams I do get to see often, most notibly Shea Weber, and to lesser extents, Coburn, Belle, etc. makes this season an easily forgettable one.

Maybe next year we'll travel to Vancouver before they come here, so hopefully I don't jinx these guys again...

Old
04-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisJD13
November 20: Calgary's Getzlaf wins 1st star award! No Andy Rogers, and Ladd gets a game misconduct for slashing.
If I remember correctly, didn't Howarth receive a major for slashing at the same time as well? What happened there? Both guys swing the sticks at each other?

Old
04-26-2005, 09:37 AM
CurtisJD13

The slashing incident was an interesting thing. It happened about 10 feet in front of us, right between the benches. Howarth dumped the puck into the offensive zone to go for a change, someone from the Calgary bench said something to him and he turned around to talk back while he headed onto the bench. Ladd was skating to his bench at the same time, and turned around and gave Kyle a little swat. Howarth hit back. Ladd hit back.

They traded slashes 4-5 times before the linesemen came in, and both recieved majors for slashing.

Old
04-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisJD13
The slashing incident was an interesting thing. It happened about 10 feet in front of us, right between the benches. Howarth dumped the puck into the offensive zone to go for a change, someone from the Calgary bench said something to him and he turned around to talk back while he headed onto the bench. Ladd was skating to his bench at the same time, and turned around and gave Kyle a little swat. Howarth hit back. Ladd hit back.

They traded slashes 4-5 times before the linesemen came in, and both recieved majors for slashing.
Thanks for the info.

That is very interesting. I remember reading that box score and scratching my head. I thought maybe it was a typo in the box score (there have been several in the past). Not often do two guys get coincidental slashing majors.

Closed Thread