Travis Green traded to the Bruins for a 6th round pick

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2003, 04:04 PM
Bruwinz37

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckles
As an aside, don't you all think the acquisition of Green means the end of the road for Lapointe in the black and gold? Green makes significantly less than Lapointe and should he put up 10 goals and 20 points, thats a significant increase on Marty's production.

I have no insight as to where old #20 may go, or how MOC would rid himself of him, but it seems to me that Green is a suitable (and fiscally responsible) replacement for whatever it is Lapointe brings to the line up.

You could make the same argument above and replace Lapointe with Grosek or Zamuner, I would think.
I cant begin to see the correlation.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:08 PM
knuckles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
I cant begin to see the correlation.
Both players are characterized as gritty, hard nosed gamers with leadership abilities.

One makes significantly more money than the other and has produced significantly less offensively.

Hence, the correlation I speak of.

Just a thought, either way. I can handle being in the minority here.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:14 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Both players are characterized as gritty, hard nosed gamers with leadership abilities.

One makes significantly more money than the other and has produced significantly less offensively.

No problem having the thought, but they arent really comparable players. Lapointe isnt going anywhere unless they decide to deal for CuJo which doesnt seem to have a chance at happening. In no way was Green brought in to replace Lapointe.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:24 PM
sagginb

Quote:

IMO...Green is nothing like Lapointe...I don't see either player at all in the same mold???
Green may play a little "gritty" in big games or key times.."when he wants too"...but I have seen him as a floater in the regular season.
In the playoffs he takes on a very important role in taking those key faceoffs....doesn't that sound like alot of help for Rolston and Thornton???
Lapointe is a hitting machine...The B's were looking for the next Terry O' and took a risk on Lapointe so far he hasn't found his game here...if this guy made around 2 million we would all love him...and still might in the future...at least I hope he find his groove...I like Lapointe and think he add alot even if he isn't scoring.
I don't think you will find Green and Leader ever to come in the same breath again...but that doesn't take away how important the things he can do for a team...

I can't see any reason to shake Lapointe loose now we have Green????
Doesn't make any sence to me...Sorry???

Old
10-03-2003, 04:31 PM
sagginb

Oh yeah...I love this deal...for the better or worse!
BTW...I also loved the Lapointe contract as well...problem was When they signed Pellerin and Zamuner...one of those 2 should have been a center much like T.Green...ahhh well...at least we have a lineup which make me happy tonight...CUP...MAYBE NOT...but the lines have balance and balance is a word I like.
Maybe T.Donato doesn't make the team now???
I though they would keep him on the 4th line to give some veteran leadership when need...like late in games and important facoffs.
But I must say...this move give Sully alot of options with...Thornton, Rolston, Green, Stock, Donato, Zinovjev and maybe even Bergeron they is alot to be happy about on paper.
At least Sully has some option at his table now.

Rock on...MOC!!!

Old
10-04-2003, 03:23 AM
Jeff from Maine

My Thoughts

I like this signing a lot.

This is a guy I wanted since he was languishing in NYI. Gives us a legit 3rd center who can step up if needed to line 2.

I heard the same thing DKH heard yesterday.

The plan is for Rolston to be the full time 2nd center, with Green playing 3rd line.

From what I was told, in a month the lines could well look like this:

Thornton- Lapointe- Murray
Rolston- Samsonov- Knuble
Green- Axelsson- Zamuner
Stock- Grosek- McCarthy

The team is looking at a positional switch for Lapointe, to see if it can work for him the way it worked for Knuble.

Later

Old
10-04-2003, 05:39 AM
Still a Bruin fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Maine
I like this signing a lot.

This is a guy I wanted since he was languishing in NYI. Gives us a legit 3rd center who can step up if needed to line 2.

I heard the same thing DKH heard yesterday.

The plan is for Rolston to be the full time 2nd center, with Green playing 3rd line.

From what I was told, in a month the lines could well look like this:

Thornton- Lapointe- Murray
Rolston- Samsonov- Knuble
Green- Axelsson- Zamuner
Stock- Grosek- McCarthy

The team is looking at a positional switch for Lapointe, to see if it can work for him the way it worked for Knuble.

Later
I can't believe I'm saying this, but Knuble has MUCH better hands than Lapointe.
Knuble just gets off better shots while Lapointe doesn't take a pass well and too often fails to get off a shot at all from a good scoring position.

It still might not be a bad idea to try these lines. Lapointe should still have some success with Joe and Glen. Who wouldn't?

As for the 3rd line, I don't like Zamuner so much in that position with Green and Axe.
I'd prefer someone with potential as a better finisher to go along with them and it would be a very good 3rd line.

I don't neccesarily like the makeup of your 2nd line (how well will they work together?) , but they're bound to be better than last year's
mishmash of players with Stumpel centering.

The 4th line would be as good as they're is in hockey if they could draw about as many penalties as they commit.
That would be tough with refs just looking to call something against that group of troublemakers.

Closed Thread