HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Perreault's future with Caps

Old
09-21-2010, 01:11 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

vCash: 500
Mathieu Perreault - Present and Future

There has been a lot of hype around this player and from what I have heard/read has made a real impression at camp. With the Caps not re-signing Morrisson and not adding a 2nd line centre through free agency, are they looking for MP to step right into it? I know you are try Flash there but imo, he is a best used as a winger.

Does he make the team opening night? and if he does, what do you expect of him...

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:32 AM
alexthekidd

vCash: 50
If the season started today, Flash would likely be pencilled in at 2C with Perreault at 3C.

alexthekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:40 AM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthekidd View Post
If the season started today, Flash would likely be pencilled in at 2C with Perreault at 3C.
Which I'm growing to love. We know Semin can carry his line, and Laich is no slouch. I'm fine with Flash plugging along at 2C and hoping for him to learn something along the way to being somewhat competent, but Chimera-Perreault-Fehr is dynamite. Seems like a line that, while they may not excel at any one thing, do a whole lot of things pretty well. Lots of speed, skill, grit, and defense on that line.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 04:16 AM
The Viking Fury

He'll make the roster only to be nylandered so Sloan can be the third line center. He's got olympic skating for crying out loud.

I mean, come on.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 07:56 AM
LegendaryNumber5
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
Which I'm growing to love. We know Semin can carry his line, and Laich is no slouch. I'm fine with Flash plugging along at 2C and hoping for him to learn something along the way to being somewhat competent, but Chimera-Perreault-Fehr is dynamite. Seems like a line that, while they may not excel at any one thing, do a whole lot of things pretty well. Lots of speed, skill, grit, and defense on that line.
I am with you on this one. Perreault and Chimera are very very sticky players that can fly up and down the ice fore/backcheck the hell out of teams. While Perreault lacks size(understatement), he has two big guys on this line that make up for it. If Fehr can continue his development and seriously blossom as a finisher this line can be legit.

LegendaryNumber5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:03 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I don't know that I would go so far to say that there has been a ton of hype surrounding Perreault, but his chances to play a meaningful role with the Caps this year received a big boost from the team's decision to go with the system rather than signing a veteran, Belanger included.

The competition, realistically, pits him against Fleischmann and Johansson for #2 / #3 center duties. Personally, I think there is a better-than-average chance that Fleischmann is a left winger again by November. In any event, it is virtually inconceivable that Perreault starts the year in Hershey. He should be a lock to return to the Capitals.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:22 AM
sk84fun_dc

You think it's 'inconceivable' that Perreault, who is still waiver exempt could start the season in Hershey?

I think that's a question that is still unanswered as camp has just started and depends not only on Perreault's performance but on other players, as well.

Assuming the Caps start the season with no transactions resulting in players from outside the organization being added to or subtracted from the roster and assuming 2G and 7D on the opening roster...still decisions to be made regarding Johansson, Perreault, AGordon, Beagle and others.

2G/7D

14 Forwards...just looking at lines as of now...not locking in lines, but...

Ovechkin Backstrom Knuble
Laich Fleischmann Semin
Chimera Perreault/Johansson Fehr
King Steckel/BGordon/Bradley

That's 14 forwards listed not counting Andrew Gordon, Beagle and others, assuming everyone is healthy/no one on IR to start the season.

Beagle is hurt by his waiver exempt status to start the season even if he plays well in camp/preseason.

Eakin will head back to Swift Current since it's NHL or WHL and unless there are injuries, there's no room to give Eakin a regular season game or two even if they wanted to and I'm not saying they want to at this time.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:32 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

When I wrote, 'it is virtually inconceivable that Perreault starts the year in Hershey,' what I really meant was, 'it is virtually inconceivable that Perreault starts the year in Hershey.' I apologize for a lack of clarity in the original statement.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:42 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
When I wrote, 'it is virtually inconceivable that Perreault starts the year in Hershey,' what I really meant was, 'it is virtually inconceivable that Perreault starts the year in Hershey.' I apologize for a lack of clarity in the original statement.
And I was surprised by your comment which is why I asked why you think that as I disagree that it is virtually inconceivable that Perreault starts the year in Hershey.

I think it is conceivable if they have no players on IR to start the season that depending on how training camp battles play out that if Johansson sticks to start the season that Perreault could start the season in Hershey.

Old
09-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post

Anyway, I think the only way Perreault doesn't make it is by tailing off while Johansson is stepping up, or at least bettering him. That is quite possible, but he has already started to make an impression. I think it could depend on Johansson's willingness to play in Hershey more than anything, in the end.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:47 AM
txpd

A lot of hype? Where? He is not hyped here. Where else could he possibly be hyped?
I think my friends above are missing something entirely. That is McPhee's desire to keep Johansson.

It could be that the Caps go with Johansson and Perreault at center and push Fleischmann back to the wing. I dont think that will happen. In any case Johansson stands in the way of Perreault as of today.

I think the reality of the situation also stands in Perreault's way. Johansson appears to be in a Washington or Sweden situation. This means that Johansson is not available for call up. If Perreault is assigned to Hershey and Johansson stays, the Caps have depth that they dont get the other way around.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:07 AM
LegendaryNumber5
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
A lot of hype? Where? He is not hyped here. Where else could he possibly be hyped?
I think my friends above are missing something entirely. That is McPhee's desire to keep Johansson.

It could be that the Caps go with Johansson and Perreault at center and push Fleischmann back to the wing. I dont think that will happen. In any case Johansson stands in the way of Perreault as of today.

I think the reality of the situation also stands in Perreault's way. Johansson appears to be in a Washington or Sweden situation. This means that Johansson is not available for call up. If Perreault is assigned to Hershey and Johansson stays, the Caps have depth that they dont get the other way around.
Makes sense, but I just really like this guy and think he deserves to be in Washington at least for 70% of the games. Probably because I have seen him way more than I have seen Johansson. I do however think both guys will make names for themselves in the years to come.

LegendaryNumber5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:30 AM
DrPP

Quote:

Why not try Flash at center, give some time to Johansson to learn the system in Hershey, and let Perreault graduate to the Caps? If Flash doesn't work out and Johansson does well in Hershey, trade Flash and bring up Johansson. If Flash does work out, give Johansson the entire year in Hershey with injury call ups and move one of them in the summer.

DrPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:36 AM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPP View Post
Why not try Flash at center, give some time to Johansson to learn the system in Hershey, and let Perreault graduate to the Caps? If Flash doesn't work out and Johansson does well in Hershey, trade Flash and bring up Johansson. If Flash does work out, give Johansson the entire year in Hershey with injury call ups and move one of them in the summer.
I'm guessing that's GMGM's current plan. The only question is whether MJ would go back to the SEL if he doesn't make the team. I think he'll stay if he's assigned to Hershey.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:38 AM
txpd

Johansson would have to agree to Hershey and doesnt seem likely. I think some are also under the impression that the AHL is just the NHL light. Its not. Its far more brutal in the AHL. The percentage of players in the AHL trying to mke the NHL on "character" is much higher. That means collecting scalps.

I dont see a player like Johansson signing up for that.

Old
09-21-2010, 09:42 AM
DrPP

Quote:
Johansson would have to agree to Hershey and doesnt seem likely. I think some are also under the impression that the AHL is just the NHL light. Its not. Its far more brutal in the AHL. The percentage of players in the AHL trying to mke the NHL on "character" is much higher. That means collecting scalps.

I dont see a player like Johansson signing up for that.
Well, that would suck, but maybe it is better to have Johansson back in the SEL than rushing him to the NHL. I'm not sure if any of these options are necessarily bad.

DrPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:44 AM
txpd

I think the option thats going to happen is that Johansson is going to make the Caps.

Old
09-21-2010, 09:46 AM
sk84fun_dc

Along with Perreault and Johansson's play during the preseason/camp and again in the context that no additional roster additions/subtractions are made (working with the players currently in camp to form a roster,) some unanswered questions:

1) If the Caps prefer that Johansson starts the season in Hershey before a call-up, will Johansson agree to start the season in Hershey versus choosing to return to Sweden?

2) If the Caps prefer to keep Johansson on the Caps roster to start the season (either because they want that based on his play or because he will head back to Sweden over going to the AHL?), do they keep Perreault on the NHL roster even if it means he could be a healthy scratch when the option is there to send him to Hershey (without waivers) and recall him when they are going to play him?

3) Do the Caps decide to work with Johansson on a loan to a team in Sweden? (So far, comments don't make it sound like this is going to be the case, but there haven't been any preseason games as of now.)

4) Does Andrew Gordon earn a spot through his preseason performance to the point where the team risks losing him via waivers by sending him down rather than keeping a waiver eligible player on the roster? (Based on line assignments to date, as we chatted about in the other thread, sure looks like it will be an uphill battle for him to make the Caps roster, but it is still a possibility.) Will he clear waivers? My guess is yes, but given his cap hit and play to date, it's possible a team takes a chance and claims him depending on roster needs heading into opening night roster decisions around the League.

Addn after originally posted:

From my perspective what happens with Perreault is contingent upon what happens between now and opening night in terms of preseason performance, injuries, and the decisions on Johansson and Andrew Gordon, plus still a chance of a trade/acquisition.

Old
09-21-2010, 09:46 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
I think the option thats going to happen is that Johansson is going to make the Caps.
in what role?

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:49 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
in what role?
3rd center

Old
09-21-2010, 09:54 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
2) If the Caps prefer to keep Johansson on the Caps roster to start the season (either because they want that based on his play or because he will head back to Sweden over going to the AHL?), do they keep Perreault on the NHL roster even if it means he could be a healthy scratch when the option is there to send him to Hershey (without waivers) and recall him when they are going to play him?.
Perreault is still waiver excempt?? I was under the impression he was not. If he is waiver excempt, then he goes to Hershey because he can for free.

Old
09-21-2010, 09:54 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
3rd center
so you see MP85 back in Hershey?

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:13 AM
txpd

maybe

Old
09-21-2010, 10:20 AM
chsb

Another possibility would be to keep both Perreault and Johanssen as MoJo can play wings.....like he did up to last season in Sweden.

MoJo undeniably has a future with the Caps but so does Perreault.
On the medium term, I do not think that one has to go in order to make room for the other.
It is nice to see the Caps with some depth at center for a change.
IMO MP is more NHL ready at the present time than MoJo is, but it does not mean that MoJo will be sent down to the AHL...

With the potential for injuries and the adventure of Flash at center, I believe that Boudreau will be on the wait and see attitude until the #2 C situation clears up itself.
MP has nothing left to prove at the AHL level and people tend to forget here his upside which is way higher than his draft ranking was....
Yes MoJo was a first round pick, but I am pretty sure GMGM does see MP in his crystal ball for this season in Washington.....otherwise he would have signed one of Morrisson/Belanger....

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:56 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

He looks good for 4 games then seems to sputter out and gets demoted. Lets hope adding some extra pounds will help out in making him a full time force.

His fate is tied to Marcus. If Marcus dominates, MP may be the odd man out. I dont expect that though, these swedes fall back on their defensive prowess early on it seems. Nothing to wow our "wow me or I will demote your ass' coaches.

I wonder if Bruce is still holding his breath waiting for Alzner to wow him.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote