HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bartulis - What do you/Flyers do?

Old
09-21-2010, 08:01 AM
jb**

vCash: 500
Bartulis - What do you/Flyers do?

all this is assuming Walker is the 7th dman and not waived or traded.

With the flyers in a win now mode, they dont have the luxury of breaking in Bartulis as the 6th dman and learning on the job. It does him no good sitting in the press box as he needs to play. He is not waiver exempt so imo he would be claimed if they try to send him down. He has the potential to be a solid bottom pairing cheap $ player. The flyers imo must not think much of him as they clearly are not giving him shot to win a spot. They should have let him come into camp as the 6th dman or at least a shot to be the 6th dman and go from there. If he then showed he cant cut it then you go acquire a vet type guy to fill that role. They seem to show little faith in their prospects. So what do you do?

1. Trade him for pick? What value does he really have?
2. Try to waive him and risk losing him for nothing. If he did clear he is in the minors all year as no doubt he would be claimed on re-entry waivers.
3. Keep him on the roster and stunt his development. He has played forward in the past, so maybe they keep him in a dual role. That would be a mistake as it will also hurt his development.
4. What other scenarios?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:15 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Someone will be injured so quickly it won't matter and he'll play or be the 7th sooner than we'd like. Even with no injuries I say keep him up. Stunting his development isn't that big of a deal. His ceiling is 5th or so anyway. With Bourdon Lehtvouri, Marshall and Gustafsson in the system Barts development isn't paramount. If he were to be moved from what Meltzer has said this Janecevik (sp?) dude would be fine as a 8th guy.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:15 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Walker is such a waste of space. It really sucks for Bartulis.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I don't understand the waiver ****. Surely if we send him down now, then no one can claim him?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Walker is such a waste of space. It really sucks for Bartulis.
I think there was a recent quote from Flyers management that Walker is going nowhere, which I agree when you have an uncapped league, but the fact is he is going to be paid $1.7mill to be a #7 D-man which is absurd.

In regards to Bartulis, wtf knows, but Homer is pretty much stuck with him at this point. Supposedly Homer said he would have to pass through waivers, which means most likely he could go through and then if an injury occurs he would have to pass back through re-entry at which time I am sure a team would pick him up for $300,000 and the Flyers on the hook for the other $300,000, correct?

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:23 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
If there is room under the cap keep him. To be honest, and this is nothing against Pronger and Timonen, but I would try to give them as much rest as possible this season. Especially with Pronger's surgery and Timonen's self proclaimed mental unreadiness. I say every ten games or so if there is a lousy team on the schedule sit one of them out and let Walker or Bartulis get in there. Almost certainly won't happen, but we are gonna need these guys to be fresh down the stretch. Though without the olympics this year I guess they will already be fresher than last season.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:24 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
There was no need for Walker when we already signed O'Donnell. Yzerman pulled a fast one, because from what I have seen of Walker he is garbage.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:24 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
I think there was a recent quote from Flyers management that Walker is going nowhere, which I agree when you have an uncapped league, but the fact is he is going to be paid $1.7mill to be a #7 D-man which is absurd.

In regards to Bartulis, wtf knows, but Homer is pretty much stuck with him at this point. Supposedly Homer said he would have to pass through waivers, which means most likely he could go through and then if an injury occurs he would have to pass back through re-entry at which time I am sure a team would pick him up for $300,000 and the Flyers on the hook for the other $300,000, correct?
I dont think he would make it through waivers. only making 600k. Someone would take a shot with him imo.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:35 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Yeah, Oskars isn't flashy but he is pretty dependable for a young guy. Someone will take him if we waive him. Yzerman really took Holmgren to school on that Gagne deal.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:40 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
As of now. See how he starts to work out. If he doesn't pan out to $1.7 million worth, I think they'll waive him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
Yeah, Oskars isn't flashy but he is pretty dependable for a young guy. Someone will take him if we waive him. Yzerman really took Holmgren to school on that Gagne deal.
Olympic Athlete? He's so gone if they waive him.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:18 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
Yeah, Oskars isn't flashy but he is pretty dependable for a young guy. Someone will take him if we waive him.
If he gets waived, someone will pick him up. I'd bet almost anything on it.

He's a young, serviceable depth guy with some upside (even if it's limited) who only makes 600k. Give him a full year of actually playing in games, and by the playoffs he won't be a liability anymore. I'd be shocked if he cleared waivers being sent down to begin with, and I guarantee you he wouldn't clear reentry waivers if we needed him later. I mean, Randy Jones got claimed on reentry waivers.

And to speak to the original point, there's not much we can do at this point. I hope he earns a spot because he's cheap, decent, and deserves to fight for a job. But we can't trade him at all because people know we're in a jam, so....

I think the point I'm getting at is that Holmgren is dumb and Walker is a waste.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:35 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

What do I do? I take Walker out behind the barn and put Bartulis in as the 6/7 defenseman.

I don't expect the Flyers will do the same, but I can hope.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:43 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Not take Matt Walker back in a trade.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
I dont think he would make it through waivers. only making 600k. Someone would take a shot with him imo.
I was just inferring that GM's know how Homer works and know eventually he would call him back up, at that point they could get Bartulis for 50% off.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:51 AM
CptCannon

I really like Barts and his play but the sad thing is he's the first on the list to leave.

Sucks? Sure. Does it really hurt? Not really. We have some D-prospects soon to be ready to take his job anyway.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:03 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Walker = Gauthier

If we lose Bartulis who is the ideal player for that 7th spot given his salary and how we're up against the cap Holmgren deserves to be ripped EVEN MORE than he has. The whole Guerin situation shows how Holmgren refuses to learn how to best manage the cap....he constantly shoots his load prematurely and has to be reactive as a result.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:23 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
I was just inferring that GM's know how Homer works and know eventually he would call him back up, at that point they could get Bartulis for 50% off.
He wouldn't be eligible for rec-entry waivers

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:24 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I am just hoping that their is some weird rule that allows him to be exempt from waivers. Either the Flyers know the rules that well and are confident he is exempt, or they don't know the rules at all and will get screwed.

Bartulis is serviceable, so they should at least attempt to trade him before the waive him. He is on a great contract for 3 years and has some value. I'd rather keep him and send out walker.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:25 AM
DenverBoone

Like an earlier poster said, injuries will necessitate we keep Oskars. We were extremely healthy at D last year. I wouldn't be surprized if Both Pronger and Kimmo are out a good portion of the year with injuries. Dudes are getting older.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:27 AM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
I really like Barts and his play but the sad thing is he's the first on the list to leave.

Sucks? Sure. Does it really hurt? Not really. We have some D-prospects soon to be ready to take his job anyway.
Before he's first out, Walker needs to prove he is better first.

Old
09-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Walker should have never been on this team in the 1st place, so I'd waive him since I can't build a time machine to go back and undo what's already been done.

What will Homer do? He'll probably do what he's best at, which is piss away another asset for nothing.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
If you waive Bartulis, he is so cheap that someone will take him. If you waive Walker there is a really good chance that he'll make it through. And no one wants to take on the rest of his contract even if they get this year at half price on re-entry waivers.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:45 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I don't understand the waiver ****. Surely if we send him down now, then no one can claim him?
You can only "send down" someone without the risk of someone claiming them if they are EXEMPT from waivers; meaning you can freely call them up and send them down. After a certain number of NHL games or a certain number of years players are no longer waiver exempt, so they can't just be sent down. They must be "waived". If a player is waived, every team in the league has the option to claim him (starting with the team with the worst record). If everybody passes on him, we can THEN send him down.

Since Bartulis is NOT waiver exempt, he would have to clear waivers, and would 99.99999% get claimed.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:50 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Just because we were relatively injury free last year doesn't mean we will be this year. Bart will be needed. Book it.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:52 AM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
You can only "send down" someone without the risk of someone claiming them if they are EXEMPT from waivers; meaning you can freely call them up and send them down. After a certain number of NHL games or a certain number of years players are no longer waiver exempt, so they can't just be sent down. They must be "waived". If a player is waived, every team in the league has the option to claim him (starting with the team with the worst record). If everybody passes on him, we can THEN send him down.

Since Bartulis is NOT waiver exempt, he would have to clear waivers, and would 99.99999% get claimed.
Good explanation. I assume Walker is not exempt. So if we send him down, and he clears, we still have to pay him the salary but we will be released from the cap hit, correct?