HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Schultz win a spot with the Habs

Old
09-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
There's a big difference between Schultz and Subban though...Subban is a potential #1 dman and needed to play big minutes in order to help his development. Having him play 10 minutes a night would not have been beneficial to him.

Schultz, on the other hand, is a potential 3/4th liner. If he can get 4th line minutes on the big club, it probably wouldn't hurt his potential. You are probably looking at 10-12 minutes a night in the AHL vs. 5-8 in the NHL. Not a huge difference.
I doubt Schultz is anywhere polished enough to take a bottom 6 spot, that's one area where coaches want guys that are responsible defensively.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:58 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
you know he's a young adult, he haven't played yet at pro level, where he learn to work on his fitness and how to eat. You know futur stars like Hall, Crosby, Staal already had their personal fitness trainer before coming in NHL... so you can't blame a guy for not being in shape, just look at Latendresse, he had to work hard to lose his fat when he made his first training camp with the Habs.
Dude, this is 2010. I have two family members that play high level junior hockey and both are in great physical condition because they are committed to it.

I just find it hard to believe that a guy that was just traded comes in to camp and need to "work on his fitness" which means he sucked in his physical testing.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:03 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Dude, this is 2010. I have two family members that play high level junior hockey and both are in great physical condition because they are committed to it.

I just find it hard to believe that a guy that was just traded comes in to camp and need to "work on his fitness" which means he sucked in his physical testing.
Martin's standarts are realy high, he said the same thing about the whole team at the begining of last year camp.

Do you realy think Shultz took a summer off, but could look good against elite NHLers like Plek and Cammy? And even throw awesome hits at them? Get real.

ChoseLa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:04 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Martin's standarts are realy high, he said the same thing about the whole team at the begining of last year camp.

Do you realy think Shultz took a summer off, but could look good against elite NHLers like Plek and Cammy? And even throw awesome hits at them? Get real.
I didn't say he took the summer off, it's just surprising in this day and age, for a player to lack fitness and to be publicly called out about it.

Old
09-21-2010, 11:06 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
I didn't say he took the summer off, it's just surprising in this day and age, for a player to lack fitness and to be publicly called out about it.
Martin publicly called him out, because his standarts are unreal.

ChoseLa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:13 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Martin publicly called him out, because his standarts are unreal.
I assume Schultz new the standards, right?

BTW, I know a major personal trainer here in Ottawa and Martin's standards are not that much higher than any other teams...

Old
09-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Tusk

Quote:
"Called out" is a harsh assessment of how Martin said this. Making it sound way bigger than it is.

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:23 AM
alexstream

who would he toss out?

bottom 7 (13th skater) is as follow

Moen Eller Lapierre
Boyd Halpern Pyatt
D'arche

and then you have Pacio, Desharnaies, (Maxwell, as I see he's pencilled in the NHL roster on Canadiens.com lol!!), Avstin, Dumont, Palushaj, White AND Whyman... who might all at one point or the other deserve more (or less) to play with the Habs...

so it's not a sure shot, far from that. lol
he'd have to beat 2 "regular" + our top 3 callup...
good luck.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:23 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
"Called out" is a harsh assessment of how Martin said this. Making it sound way bigger than it is.
Quite possible.

Old
09-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He has 34 NHL goals in 199 games while playing at least half of those with a supreme passer like Savard, not sure where you get that Lucic has good hands.

In terms of size they are about the same, 6'2-3" and 215lbs.
Maybe because he had a hard shot and miss HALF OF THE SEASON ??

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Maybe because he had a hard shot and miss HALF OF THE SEASON ??
I look at his quote and I don't know what you're trying to say. He is taking the number of games into consideration.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 12:10 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Quote:
I assume Schultz new the standards, right?

BTW, I know a major personal trainer here in Ottawa and Martin's standards are not that much higher than any other teams...
Maybe, but he didn't have much time to adjust since he is a new addition. I'm not worried, he'll get in shape I'm sure in Hamilton.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 12:45 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
Jacques Martin don't like physical player who can drop the gloves, sorry !
"Thanks for your witty and wise contribution to the discussion."

I'm not well known here, but I've posted a few. I like all of you guys and gals. And I love the Habs. But when I see a response as above, I now have my standard answer:

"Thanks for your witty and wise contribution to the discussion." Perhaps it will catch on.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 12:56 PM
bsl

Quote:
Regarding the fitness level, Martin is a fitness nazi, at the begining of last seasons some players said that the regular trainings were as hard as some punitive training they had on other teams; also Martin said at the begining of last year's camp that the level of fitness of the players aren't up to his standarts and they will get better during the season and the next one.

Fitness is very important for Martin, that might explain why the Subban, Lapierre, O'Byrne and Patch came to camp in an superb condition: they want a spot and they know that'll help them.
And damn right too. Fitness means scoring late in the third. Fitness means outmuscleing someone in OT. Fitness means being quick and sharp for the shootout.

Fitness in the NHL today is huge. Fitness in Hockey is huge. I expect the Habs to be fit. End of.

Btw, all athletes love to be fit. No true hockey player will complain about hard practice and strain. Not one. Martin should push them hard. Very hard. They will respond. It's one thing all true players understand , and they will respect Martin for doing it. Guaranteed. It's one of the best things a coach can do.

Last edited by bsl: 09-21-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old
09-21-2010, 01:10 PM
bsl

Quote:
yep but he's 6'4, 229 lbs, i don't think he was much lighter when in his first nhl year.
And Kosty, who has 11 times the skill as Lucic, knocked him on his ass like he was a little girl. God I love that kid. Wish he'd get his head on straight.

Old
09-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Komarov47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjZbNtzsQFY
Do i need to remember this?

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 02:06 PM
expos4ever

Shultz in 2010? zero chance

Absolutely no way the habs keep Ian Shultz this season.

If Mgmt really felt that the size & toughness that Shultz brings is absolutely necessary for this team to succeed, they would have already picked up an experienced pro 'dur a cuir' for the role, or at minimum, they would have given a guy like Andrew Conboy consideration.

Here's a great THN article explaining why: How an AHL stint prepares prospects for NHL Life

expos4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 02:09 PM
expos4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by expos4ever View Post
Here's a great THN article explaining why: How an AHL stint prepares prospects for NHL Life
e.g:

Quote:
Kyle Beach spent the past four years wreaking havoc in the Western League, but also got two stints with the AHL’s Rockford IceHogs. Now he’s gunning for a spot on the Chicago Blackhawks, who took the rambunctious scorer with the 11th pick overall in 2008.

“It’s something you can’t trade, it’s a great experience,” Beach said. “It’s a time where you have to really absorb everything, take it in, get used to the pro level, the pro game.

“In junior I was one of the biggest guys, out there I’m like everyone else.”

And that’s a major factor in jumping from the junior ranks to the ‘A.’ Not only does the game move at a quicker pace, but those ain’t lanky 17-year-olds on the forecheck anymore
and:
Quote:
Colorado Avalanche vice president of player development Craig Billington recalls a conversation he had with 6-foot-2, 228-pound power forward Chris Stewart after the emerging star suited up for the Lake Erie Monsters in 2007-08.

“He came up to me in the dressing room,” Billington recalled, “and said ‘Boy, are these guys big.’ And I don’t know if you’ve met Chris Stewart…”

But yeah, if that hulking dude was surprised, he wouldn’t be the only one. And that sort of realization is very important for a prospect’s development, even if it’s only for a short amount of time.

“What does that two to four weeks at the end of a season matter?” Billington mused. “I think it matters. You have pre-conceived notions of the pro game and you don’t really know it until you touch it.”

expos4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Aurel Joliat

Healthy scratch for the first pre-season game (he is in the group A)

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote