HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Rostislav Olesz: Playing With an Edge?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-20-2010, 12:28 PM
  #51
panthersfan751
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Unless he can break out this year, I think a change of scenery is best for both the organization and for Olesz. DeBoer and management seem to not have a high opinion of him due to his consistent underperforming and his contract, which in turn destroys Olesz's confidence.


Last edited by panthersfan751: 09-20-2010 at 12:36 PM.
panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:34 PM
  #52
panthersfan751
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Rostislav Olesz is Andrew Miller.

"If he went to the net..."
"If he used his size..."
"If he had confidence..."
"If he wasn't so terrible, he'd be better..."

Whatever.

The guy is a terribly inconsistent hockey player who becomes invisible at times, and other times, he'll just flat out choke. Like...open net...completely miss the net choke.

He's overpaid, and I'd love to get him out of here.

People have complained about guys who actually produce...Jokinen...Bouwmeester...Horton...heck, Vokoun...yet this 1st round bust is often forgotten. He's a huge reason why we continue to suck. Every year we're counting on Olesz to step up, maybe give us 20 goals...and every year he fails.

He's a loser (as a player, don't know Rusty the person), and as soon as Tallon sees him on the ice for a good amount of time, he'll be wanting Olesz out of here, and quickly.
Unfortunately I agree with this. We've waited for long enough with him, and his not developing properly is a big reason why our offense is woefully inadequate.

And for everyone who is defending him, this is a player that went 21 games in a row without a single point last year. That's nothing short of terrible. Sure some of that can be attributed to a lack of confidence, but the bottom line is as Erick said, we're waiting and waiting for Olesz to "mature" and it has never happened.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:02 PM
  #53
TimHortons
Gud Night
 
TimHortons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 1,122
vCash: 500
According to GR, looks like Rusty and Weiss went at it in practice today.

Quote:
George Richards
Not only did Weiss get rammed hard into the side boards by rookie defenseman Erik Gudbranson during a scrimmage, but he also traded punches with Rostislav Olesz during practice.
Interesting. I don't recall ever seeing Olesz fight, although I'm sure it's happened at least once. I guess there may be some truth to the speculation that he's got a chip on his shoulder. We'll see if it translates to a better player, although I'm not getting my hopes up.

TimHortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:04 PM
  #54
Coolburn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Florida
Country: Hungary
Posts: 7,739
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Isnt this the consensus, that he is overpaid? That seems to be what everyone dislikes most about him, as I have stated before. If he was a $2-2.5 million paid player, Id be happy with him and his 15 goals. Is he overpaid, yes, but given the circumstance, we need him to produce so we can either trade him, or contribute as much as we pay him. The only issues I have is the harsh criticism for him. When talking about his pay, its completely understandable, but beyond that, he isnt a terrible hockey player.
Again you absolutely CANNOT separate the hockey player from their pay in the new NHL with a salary cap. All GMs do that now so we also should really.

And I would also disagree with you that paying him $2-2.5 million for what he provides is still overpayment. Look at what Higgins got ($1.6M) and thats what I would feel is acceptable for Olesz's production level. Anything over that and I think you can find someone cheaper to provide the same abilities.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:04 PM
  #55
gizmo12688
Registered User
 
gizmo12688's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 5,372
vCash: 50
If that's what it takes to get him going, I want every Panther lining up to fight Olesz before each game.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:07 PM
  #56
Boooooth10
Registered User
 
Boooooth10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 6,255
vCash: 500
Kick his ass, Weiss!

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:11 PM
  #57
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 11,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Well, if you have a issue with his contract, let's talk about JM and not Olesz. I mean, if we offer some checking line forward $4million, they're not going to reject it.
No, I disagree with this.

JM gave him a contract based on potential, and Olesz choked, as he always does. He was one of our "great" 1st round picks; we trusted him, and he didn't deliver. He definitely deserves some of the blame for being horrible. For those that say he's just overpaid, and we'd be fine if he were only making 2.5 million...I still think he'd be overpaid for that amount, based on his production, and the way he's played. He does nothing for this team. There are 12 forwards on our current roster that I'd take over Rusty at the moment, as a matter of fact. Most of them have a cheaper contract, as well. And as much as we love this team, we all know that this team isn't loaded with talent.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:39 PM
  #58
panthersfan751
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Again you absolutely CANNOT separate the hockey player from their pay in the new NHL with a salary cap. All GMs do that now so we also should really.

And I would also disagree with you that paying him $2-2.5 million for what he provides is still overpayment. Look at what Higgins got ($1.6M) and thats what I would feel is acceptable for Olesz's production level. Anything over that and I think you can find someone cheaper to provide the same abilities.
What makes it even worse is that his contract is back-loaded. The last year Olesz is supposed to make over 4M. For his production now, that's simply way too much of an overpayment to keep on the roster.

Even Bernier, who is considered to be slightly overpaid, is only making 2M this year, and he's on an expiring contract. If nothing changes with how they perform this year, I'd rather resign Bernier and let Olesz go.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:27 PM
  #59
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Again you absolutely CANNOT separate the hockey player from their pay in the new NHL with a salary cap. All GMs do that now so we also should really.

And I would also disagree with you that paying him $2-2.5 million for what he provides is still overpayment. Look at what Higgins got ($1.6M) and thats what I would feel is acceptable for Olesz's production level. Anything over that and I think you can find someone cheaper to provide the same abilities.
I still sorta disagree. At least, i agree that him having a bad contract doesn't make him "eurotrash." It may make him less likable by the fans, or even the organization, but it's still through no fault of his own. He was offered a contract and took it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
No, I disagree with this.

JM gave him a contract based on potential, and Olesz choked, as he always does. He was one of our "great" 1st round picks; we trusted him, and he didn't deliver. He definitely deserves some of the blame for being horrible. For those that say he's just overpaid, and we'd be fine if he were only making 2.5 million...I still think he'd be overpaid for that amount, based on his production, and the way he's played. He does nothing for this team. There are 12 forwards on our current roster that I'd take over Rusty at the moment, as a matter of fact. Most of them have a cheaper contract, as well. And as much as we love this team, we all know that this team isn't loaded with talent.
Yeah, but Olesz didn't dictate his potential. Every player dreams of being that number one guy who takes a team to the cup. Some guys get something close to that, but the vast majority don't.

Does he deserve the blame for not being a strong hockey player? Absolutely. But his contract is not his fault. It's not like he held the organization hostage until he got the amount he wanted. He never had the bargaining power to do such a thing. We just pre-emptively gave him money based on how we thought he'd be playing 3 years into it. And he simply hasn't blossomed. This neither makes him eurotrash, nor does it make it entirely his fault.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:42 PM
  #60
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 11,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
I still sorta disagree. At least, i agree that him having a bad contract doesn't make him "eurotrash." It may make him less likable by the fans, or even the organization, but it's still through no fault of his own. He was offered a contract and took it.



Yeah, but Olesz didn't dictate his potential. Every player dreams of being that number one guy who takes a team to the cup. Some guys get something close to that, but the vast majority don't.

Does he deserve the blame for not being a strong hockey player? Absolutely. But his contract is not his fault. It's not like he held the organization hostage until he got the amount he wanted. He never had the bargaining power to do such a thing. We just pre-emptively gave him money based on how we thought he'd be playing 3 years into it. And he simply hasn't blossomed. This neither makes him eurotrash, nor does it make it entirely his fault.
I never called him Eurotrash, nor did I say it was all his fault, but he definitely deserves some of the blame.

If you and many others believe he has so much potential that he's not playing up to, how is it not his fault? If you truly believe that, then that means he's not giving the effort to become the player he can be. There's no excuse for that.

Horton got **** for that; Bouwmeester got **** for that. Jokinen, too. Even Vokoun who has given this organization his all has received 10x more criticism than Olesz for his "slow starts," "weak goals," etc. which is mostly a bunch of crap. People hate on Vokoun because they think he's overpaid, when factually he's not even overpaid. Vokoun is made the scapegoat for our problems because his salary is "too much," yet people talk less about the real problem. The real problem is Rostislav Olesz. He's been here for years, is one of the most highly paid players on the team, and he's doing nothing, more often than not.

In any other hockey market, Olesz would be hated for his play. The Eurotrash thing is uncalled for because that's quite an insult, but Olesz has gotten a free pass here. He was a 1st round pick just like the Bouwmeester's, Horton's, and Weiss. At least those guys have done something in the NHL.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 03:40 PM
  #61
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I never called him Eurotrash, nor did I say it was all his fault, but he definitely deserves some of the blame.

If you and many others believe he has so much potential that he's not playing up to, how is it not his fault? If you truly believe that, then that means he's not giving the effort to become the player he can be. There's no excuse for that.

Horton got **** for that; Bouwmeester got **** for that. Jokinen, too. Even Vokoun who has given this organization his all has received 10x more criticism than Olesz for his "slow starts," "weak goals," etc. which is mostly a bunch of crap. People hate on Vokoun because they think he's overpaid, when factually he's not even overpaid. Vokoun is made the scapegoat for our problems because his salary is "too much," yet people talk less about the real problem. The real problem is Rostislav Olesz. He's been here for years, is one of the most highly paid players on the team, and he's doing nothing, more often than not.

In any other hockey market, Olesz would be hated for his play. The Eurotrash thing is uncalled for because that's quite an insult, but Olesz has gotten a free pass here. He was a 1st round pick just like the Bouwmeester's, Horton's, and Weiss. At least those guys have done something in the NHL.
you are really going apeshot on rusty. take it easy man. there isn't anyone around here that doesn't feel he's underachieved greatly, that isn't disappointed. he is certainly not THE problem, though.

if you're going to be honest, you have to acknowledge that there were a lot of external factors that conspired to inhibit his development. he seems like a genuinely good kid that has trained and worked hard. your characterization is really inhumane, imo. sometimes things just do not come together they we think they should.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 04:50 PM
  #62
Coolburn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Florida
Country: Hungary
Posts: 7,739
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
I still sorta disagree. At least, i agree that him having a bad contract doesn't make him "eurotrash." It may make him less likable by the fans, or even the organization, but it's still through no fault of his own. He was offered a contract and took it.
I honestly dont care if he was offered a contract and took it. All I'm talking about is his current value to the organization, regardless of who's fault it is. Honestly, should we really care that much who's fault it is?? I'm just saying that to judge any player nowadays, you take his contract into consideration just as much (if not moreso) as his ability to play on the ice. His contract basically gives him negative value in the league regardless of what he produces on the ice.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 09:01 PM
  #63
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 11,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
you are really going apeshot on rusty. take it easy man. there isn't anyone around here that doesn't feel he's underachieved greatly, that isn't disappointed. he is certainly not THE problem, though.

if you're going to be honest, you have to acknowledge that there were a lot of external factors that conspired to inhibit his development. he seems like a genuinely good kid that has trained and worked hard. your characterization is really inhumane, imo. sometimes things just do not come together they we think they should.
The Olesz development excuse again.
Development should only be an excuse for a certain amount of years. After a certain amount of years, a good player steps up and gets better from what he learned at the NHL level.

Olesz isn't the only player in the history of hockey to be called up at a young age. He's not even the only player on his own team to do such a thing.

Just because he seems like a genuinely good kid that has trained and worked hard...that doesn't mean he did. As a matter of fact, I bet his own coaches would say he's not working hard enough. How long has DeBoer been preaching to good ol' Rusty to go the front of the net and get the "garbage goals?" How long is it going to take Rusty to follow directions?

He's a bust. Simple as that. The only thing that's worse than a bust is an overpaid bust, and that's exactly what he is.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 09:51 PM
  #64
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
The Olesz development excuse again.
Development should only be an excuse for a certain amount of years. After a certain amount of years, a good player steps up and gets better from what he learned at the NHL level.

Olesz isn't the only player in the history of hockey to be called up at a young age. He's not even the only player on his own team to do such a thing.

Just because he seems like a genuinely good kid that has trained and worked hard...that doesn't mean he did. As a matter of fact, I bet his own coaches would say he's not working hard enough. How long has DeBoer been preaching to good ol' Rusty to go the front of the net and get the "garbage goals?" How long is it going to take Rusty to follow directions?

He's a bust. Simple as that. The only thing that's worse than a bust is an overpaid bust, and that's exactly what he is.
he HAS trained hard, i'll tell you that. from what i've seen, he's a physical specimen. you don't pull the strength he shows at times from a mug o' dunkin' and a chocolate glazed.

regarding development, those years count - they're lost years. worse, they can damage psychologically. not all players but some and it appears he's one of them. pete's comments really don't mean much to me at this point. pete is the coach but based on the results (or lack thereof) with rusty, he's clearly not connecting.

bottom line is that he just might be a lost cause. and he will bear some responsibility for his fate for sure. but the picture you're trying to paint here really doesn't reflect reality.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 10:07 PM
  #65
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I never called him Eurotrash, nor did I say it was all his fault, but he definitely deserves some of the blame.
Never said you did.
Quote:
If you and many others believe he has so much potential that he's not playing up to, how is it not his fault? If you truly believe that, then that means he's not giving the effort to become the player he can be. There's no excuse for that.
Re-read what i said:
Quote:
Does he deserve the blame for not being a strong hockey player? Absolutely.
Quote:
In any other hockey market, Olesz would be hated for his play. The Eurotrash thing is uncalled for because that's quite an insult, but Olesz has gotten a free pass here. He was a 1st round pick just like the Bouwmeester's, Horton's, and Weiss. At least those guys have done something in the NHL.
Agreed. And it's apparent by this thread that he's not well-liked here. Honestly, he probably would've been traded or bought out if JM didn't have such a crush on Czech players. Instead, he got an extension based on potential, which he hasn't met at all.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 02:22 AM
  #66
RoadDoggFL
Registered User
 
RoadDoggFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: Colombia
Posts: 4,804
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
lol.

Quote:
Florida Panthers: Rusty Olesz needs to do well this season or else Pete DeBoer's going to kill him with his bear hands.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 07:38 AM
  #67
gizmo12688
Registered User
 
gizmo12688's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 5,372
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
lol
Florida Panthers: Rusty Olesz needs to do well this season or else Pete DeBoer's going to kill him with his bear hands.
That made my morning, lmao.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:27 AM
  #68
Weiwuer
 
Weiwuer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post

Weiwuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:45 AM
  #69
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I never called him Eurotrash, nor did I say it was all his fault, but he definitely deserves some of the blame.

If you and many others believe he has so much potential that he's not playing up to, how is it not his fault? If you truly believe that, then that means he's not giving the effort to become the player he can be. There's no excuse for that.

Horton got **** for that; Bouwmeester got **** for that. Jokinen, too. Even Vokoun who has given this organization his all has received 10x more criticism than Olesz for his "slow starts," "weak goals," etc. which is mostly a bunch of crap. People hate on Vokoun because they think he's overpaid, when factually he's not even overpaid. Vokoun is made the scapegoat for our problems because his salary is "too much," yet people talk less about the real problem. The real problem is Rostislav Olesz. He's been here for years, is one of the most highly paid players on the team, and he's doing nothing, more often than not.

In any other hockey market, Olesz would be hated for his play. The Eurotrash thing is uncalled for because that's quite an insult, but Olesz has gotten a free pass here. He was a 1st round pick just like the Bouwmeester's, Horton's, and Weiss. At least those guys have done something in the NHL.
Can you please remember one thing....HE'S 24!!! He's 25 next month. Weiss scored 13 goals at this point after his nice 20 goal season. Jokinen had scored no more than 11 goals by this age. it was after that he had his break out year. You say hes a choke artist, a bust etc., at 24? I have sox older then that.
Secondly show me anything on the record that he has a poor work ethic. You wont find it. Because he doesnt. He works his butt off. that it hasnt translated yet is not causative to whether the effort was there. If he was hortonesque lazy, we would all know.
Lastly, Holy is 100% right. JM gambled trying to lock in young talent in this market. Rusty didnt sit out games demanding a salary. Its ridiculous to blame him for the salary. Almost as ridiculous as calling a 24 year old a bust.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:26 AM
  #70
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 11,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Can you please remember one thing....HE'S 24!!! He's 25 next month. Weiss scored 13 goals at this point after his nice 20 goal season. Jokinen had scored no more than 11 goals by this age. it was after that he had his break out year. You say hes a choke artist, a bust etc., at 24? I have sox older then that.
Secondly show me anything on the record that he has a poor work ethic. You wont find it. Because he doesnt. He works his butt off. that it hasnt translated yet is not causative to whether the effort was there. If he was hortonesque lazy, we would all know.
Lastly, Holy is 100% right. JM gambled trying to lock in young talent in this market. Rusty didnt sit out games demanding a salary. Its ridiculous to blame him for the salary. Almost as ridiculous as calling a 24 year old a bust.
The fact that he does nothing that his coach ask of him on the ice, and that his coaches/teammates are losing patience with him tells me that his work ethic isn't exactly great. It's all the proof needed. He can work as hard as he wants in practice; if that work ethic doesn't translate to work ethic during the actual game then the pre-game work ethic means a whole lot of nothing.

As for, not blaming Rusty for the contract he accepted...fair enough. But at the same time, this happens in sports. When a player has a bad contract, the player gets criticism...happens with every fanbase, in any sport. It's the way it goes; unfair or not.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 12:46 PM
  #71
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
The fact that he does nothing that his coach ask of him on the ice, and that his coaches/teammates are losing patience with him tells me that his work ethic isn't exactly great. It's all the proof needed. He can work as hard as he wants in practice; if that work ethic doesn't translate to work ethic during the actual game then the pre-game work ethic means a whole lot of nothing.

As for, not blaming Rusty for the contract he accepted...fair enough. But at the same time, this happens in sports. When a player has a bad contract, the player gets criticism...happens with every fanbase, in any sport. It's the way it goes; unfair or not.
stop trying to demonize the kid. he's here, so just deal with it. as to how, what, why... sometimes things just don't come together for players, despite potential, their work ethic or desire. it happens all the time.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 02:31 PM
  #72
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 11,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
stop trying to demonize the kid. he's here, so just deal with it. as to how, what, why... sometimes things just don't come together for players, despite potential, their work ethic or desire. it happens all the time.
And when it happens, the player deserves criticism. "It happens all the time."

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 02:49 PM
  #73
Coolburn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Florida
Country: Hungary
Posts: 7,739
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Can you please remember one thing....HE'S 24!!! He's 25 next month. Weiss scored 13 goals at this point after his nice 20 goal season. Jokinen had scored no more than 11 goals by this age. it was after that he had his break out year. You say hes a choke artist, a bust etc., at 24? I have sox older then that.
Secondly show me anything on the record that he has a poor work ethic. You wont find it. Because he doesnt. He works his butt off. that it hasnt translated yet is not causative to whether the effort was there. If he was hortonesque lazy, we would all know.
Lastly, Holy is 100% right. JM gambled trying to lock in young talent in this market. Rusty didnt sit out games demanding a salary. Its ridiculous to blame him for the salary. Almost as ridiculous as calling a 24 year old a bust.
The problem with your comparisons of Weiss and Jokinen to Olesz is it doesnt hold water. Neither guy was making what Olesz is making now at the same age. Weiss was making something like $2M/yr and I think Jokinen at the same age was making even less, IIRC something like $1M.

I dont care how old Olesz is or not, what his work ethic is or not, and who's to blame. The facts are that he produces approximately 14 goals and about 30 pts per season with a cap hit of $3.125M (and a matching salary). I think the organization is at a point where if he doesnt increase his output (which isnt very likely IMO), that they are planning to move on and cut him loose (which is very likely IMO). Whether he breaks out after he's cut loose or not, I honestly dont care nor do I think the organization does either.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 03:54 PM
  #74
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
And when it happens, the player deserves criticism. "It happens all the time."
some fans need a whipping boy. if you're one of them, i guess you'd say yeah. certainly, there are players who deserve criticism, but a young kid who's just trying to make it, working hard... nah. he'll be cut loose if it doesn't come together. we (now you) have bashed him enough. you don't need to continue to demonize the kid. enough already.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 04:10 PM
  #75
Hip to be Square
 
Hip to be Square's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I never called him Eurotrash, nor did I say it was all his fault, but he definitely deserves some of the blame.

If you and many others believe he has so much potential that he's not playing up to, how is it not his fault? If you truly believe that, then that means he's not giving the effort to become the player he can be. There's no excuse for that.

Horton got **** for that; Bouwmeester got **** for that. Jokinen, too. Even Vokoun who has given this organization his all has received 10x more criticism than Olesz for his "slow starts," "weak goals," etc. which is mostly a bunch of crap. People hate on Vokoun because they think he's overpaid, when factually he's not even overpaid. Vokoun is made the scapegoat for our problems because his salary is "too much," yet people talk less about the real problem. The real problem is Rostislav Olesz. He's been here for years, is one of the most highly paid players on the team, and he's doing nothing, more often than not.

In any other hockey market, Olesz would be hated for his play. The Eurotrash thing is uncalled for because that's quite an insult, but Olesz has gotten a free pass here. He was a 1st round pick just like the Bouwmeester's, Horton's, and Weiss. At least those guys have done something in the NHL.
I compiled a mini list of the roster of former panther players/prospects whose failed to be effective at the nhl level despite numerous attempts to "break out".

Shvidki
Bednar
Mezei
Kolnik
Sprukts
Kreps

and soon to be added to this list .. Olesz


Last edited by Majik1987: 09-21-2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: slur
Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.