HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Have Kings Found Magic Blueline Tandem?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-21-2010, 10:34 AM
  #1
TonySCV
Moderator
Push to the 8th Tee
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,655
vCash: 500
Have Kings Found Magic Blueline Tandem?

Good article from LeBrun...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ue-line-tandem

"So much of the Kings' offseason has been about the one that got away in Kovalchuk. But if Mitchell stays healthy this season, revisionist history will suggest it was the summer Los Angeles found Doughty's perfect fit."

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:55 AM
  #2
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!
 
KopitarFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 9,788
vCash: 500
If JJ-Scuds can make it work, we'll see Doughty-Mitchell. But I doubt it will.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:04 AM
  #3
Capn Brown
Registered User
 
Capn Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
If JJ-Scuds can make it work, we'll see Doughty-Mitchell. But I doubt it will.

I'm thinking there could be a JJ/Drewiske pairing, with Greene taking Drewiske's spot after health is acquired.

That way, Scuds can be paired with Hickey for efficient tutelage.


Doughty / Mitchell
Greene / JJ
Hickey / Scuds

Drewiske

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:11 AM
  #4
Hatter
Cann0n
 
Hatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ojai, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,963
vCash: 500
What a stand up guy and a class act!

How can you not love this guy?

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:15 AM
  #5
BigKing
Spot Picker
 
BigKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Belmont Shore, CA
Posts: 3,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
I'm thinking there could be a JJ/Drewiske pairing, with Greene taking Drewiske's spot after health is acquired.

That way, Scuds can be paired with Hickey for efficient tutelage.


Doughty / Mitchell
Greene / JJ
Hickey / Scuds

Drewiske
Greene/JJ has been an absolute nightmare every time they've been paired together. Greene will anchor the bottom pairing.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:16 AM
  #6
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator
 
Chairman Maouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fire Lake
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 20000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
What a stand up guy and a class act!

How can you not love this guy?
Mitchell?

Yes he is. We're sorry to see him leave Vancouver. He had great runs in Minnesota and Vancouver, and a brief stop in Dallas where he apparently played pretty bad. They don't like him there. Hopefully he'll stay healthy and help you guys out.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:19 AM
  #7
Hatter
Cann0n
 
Hatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ojai, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth;
Mitchell?

Yes he is. We're sorry to see him leave Vancouver. He had great runs in Minnesota and Vancouver, and a brief stop in Dallas where he apparently played pretty bad. They don't like him there. Hopefully he'll stay healthy and help you guys out.
given the kings track record I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't. Heh

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:20 AM
  #8
Capn Brown
Registered User
 
Capn Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Greene/JJ has been an absolute nightmare every time they've been paired together. Greene will anchor the bottom pairing.

OK, so if Greene/JJ has been a nightmare and if Scuds/JJ has been terrible, the variable to be considered is JJ.

Is it that those pairings were bad, or that JJ was in those pairings prior to the Olympic break, i.e., when JJ was still a turnover machine?


PS: If you tell me JJ is only an effective NHL defenseman when paired with Doughty, I'll tell you JJ is trade bait.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:24 AM
  #9
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!
 
KopitarFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 9,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
OK, so if Greene/JJ has been a nightmare and if Scuds/JJ has been terrible, the variable to be considered is JJ.

Is it that those pairings were bad, or that JJ was in those pairings prior to the Olympic break, i.e., when JJ was still a turnover machine?


PS: If you tell me JJ is only an effective NHL defenseman when paired with Doughty, I'll tell you JJ is trade bait.
I think JJ pretty much only played with Jones(and Doughty on the PP) post-Olympics.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:28 AM
  #10
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator
 
Chairman Maouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fire Lake
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 20000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
given the kings track record I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't. Heh
The guy is so classy and likable that in spite of the fact that we support competing teams that are on the verge of a rivalry, I still want him to do well.

Mitchell highlights.




Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:50 AM
  #11
driller1
Dry Island Reject
 
driller1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,552
vCash: 500
LOL @ Lebrun twitter:

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Just ran into Rob Blake here at Kings practice facility. His son has a squirts' game here in a few minutes

Head coach for this squirts team is former NHLer Nelson Emerson. Assistant coaches are Blake and player agent Pat Brisson (Crosby, Toews).

-----------
I thought Emerson was Kings player development coordinator? Perhaps Kings are developing with a 2 decade time horizon... LA better be represented in the 1st round of the draft a decade from now- thats a pretty decent coaching staff for a squirts game...

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:10 PM
  #12
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Andrew Knoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,355
vCash: 500
I think Johnson and Scuderi can work, I've been there for every day of camp except when LeBrun came (yesterday) and I've liked the way they have looked together and taken to one another.

The whole stay-at-home vs mobile partnership will be more important than ever this year and that dynamic is at play there. Johnson also seems tough to play against in the early going, I think he has been picking up that part of his game and picking up some of Scuderi's intensity one-on-one.

I like both those pairings and Greener, as others have said, to anchor a third pairing when he gets back. Drewiskie looks great physically, he and Clune are the two guys whose bodies have impressed me most along with Mitchell, whose physique is as solid as ever.

I like that top four mix and then Johnson/Doughty on the power-play points.

Reading the article, hmmm, a bit of hyperbole by LeBrun about Mitchell vs Kovalchuk but because they sort of snuck the signing of Willie in it has been overlooked. The terms were also great, we saw a conservative approach that should ensure Doughty, Johnson and Simmonds stay with the team and that missing piece can still get picked up but of course nothing is concrete.

Real story vis-a-vis Kovalchuk is if the Kings can ramp up their scoring with a series of micro/macro adjustments. Putting all their top shooters/scorers on one line early on. Pushing the defense into the play more. Having Williams healthy. Getting a little more scoring out of Brown, Stoll and Simmonds, one guy on each line, etc.

Also let's not forget they are in brilliant position to rent guys at the deadline with both cap space and prospects available.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:40 PM
  #13
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBrun View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ue-line-tandem

"So much of the Kings' offseason has been about the one that got away in Kovalchuk. But if Mitchell stays healthy this season, revisionist history will suggest it was the summer Los Angeles found Doughty's perfect fit."
... If the Kings want to take the year of experience and cohesion that the Scuderi-Doughty pairing gained, as well as the progress both players enjoyed from it, and just chuck it into the dumpster - they'll certainly pay for it, but I suppose it wouldn't be anything new for this franchise.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:43 PM
  #14
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 34,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... If the Kings want to take the year of experience and cohesion that the Scuderi-Doughty pairing gained, as well as the progress both players enjoyed from it, and just chuck it into the dumpster - they'll certainly pay for it, but I suppose it wouldn't be anything new for this franchise.
A player as talented as Doughty and someone as experienced as Mitchell isn't going to have much difficulty adjusting to one another. Doughty doesn't need any training wheels. There is this thing called communication that benefits both players, and from early impressions, both players are meshing quite well. But let the internet jockey decide what's best.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:46 PM
  #15
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!
 
KopitarFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 9,788
vCash: 500
Ideally JJ-Scuds could make it work, but I fear that Murray might pair Mitchell-Doughty with no regard for the 2nd pair.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:51 PM
  #16
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
But let the internet jockey decide what's best.
... LOL! There's today's ironic post of the night, brought to you by Centrum (TM) with Iron.

No it's not like the Kings have ever made a bad decision about personnel ever; you are so right!

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:03 PM
  #17
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 34,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... LOL! There's today's ironic post of the night, brought to you by Centrum (TM) with Iron.

No it's not like the Kings have ever made a bad decision about personnel ever; you are so right!
Not claiming the Kings haven't made any poor decisions in the past, but there is very little reason to complain about defense pairings at this point.

Scuderi and Doughty didn't also had a running rotation of D partners throughout the season. Doughty's partners ranged from Scuderi to O'Donnell and Johnson.

Scuderi played with Greene, O'Donnell and Johnson. Johnson played with Jones, Doughty, Greene, O'Donnell, Scuderi and Harrold.

The team could benefit a hell of a lot by making this move. Mitchell is better with the puck compared to Scuderi and has experience playing the minutes necessary for a top pairing defenseman. And if Scuderi can have the same influence on JJ as he did on Doughty, then I can't see how the Kings are wronging any of their defenseman.

I don't follow your logic and don't see any problem being caused here. These guys are professionals with years of experience, oodles of talent, and they all play under the same system. I'm sure John Stevens knows how to handle his defensemen.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:12 PM
  #18
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I don't follow your logic and don't see any problem being caused here. These guys are professionals with years of experience, oodles of talent, and they all play under the same system. I'm sure John Stevens knows how to handle his defensemen.
... The logic is that there's no need to fix what isn't broken with Scuderi-Doughty, and there's certainly a good reason to think that Johnson would only benefit by pairing with Mitchell. It keeps the Kings from placing top-pairing pressure on a new arrival to the team, as well.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:53 AM
  #19
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 17,430
vCash: 500
Leave it to the Kings to screw up again and welcome a new UFA veteran defenseman to the fold by pairing him with their best young defenseman. Then screwing up even more by pairing the kid they want to provide more offense with their steadiest defensive defenseman.

For some the glass is always half-empty. Even when it just may be almost completely full.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.