HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

New flagship station 1029 the buzz

Old
09-21-2010, 09:23 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

vCash: 500
New flagship station 1029 the buzz

McCann quotes Section303.com has a story about the Preds moving coverage to 102.9 the Buzz. I have been wondering if the wall-to-wall coverage of the Vols (football and basketball) and Titans would squeeze the airwaves too much for the new management of the Preds.

If you had just come to town expecting to make a splash, could you accept being relegated to the back seat like that? Now it sounds like they are contemplating a change...

Last edited by BigFatCat999: 09-21-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: link to article
darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Keep 'em on the rock station ... all the better so we don't give Plaster'd & co any better ratings

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I think we should have a free beer and hotwings promotion.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:22 AM
KYJones649

I'm afraid this new station won't reach me up in Bowling Green. =[

KYJones649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKUPredsFan View Post
You can always listen online

Old
09-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by WKUPredsFan View Post
From McCann
Quote:
102.9 the Buzz is a 100,000 watt flamethrower of a radio station with almost double the effective radiating power of the Zone
This would be pretty good news if true. The Buzz is one of the strongest stations in the area in both range and the fact that they are very popular. No more getting bumped for basketball.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:03 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

I admit it's not my station of choice for music. Or morning talent. Or anything else, really. But aside from losing Daunic during the post-game show I have no problem with this.

From a personal standpoint I'd welcome it if for no other reason than 102.9 really is a more powerful station. I've been trying to listen in to games before while working/playing in some outlying areas and the reception was crappy at best. Not having to compete with other events is a bonus too.

I'm down with it.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:10 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

If they're willing to subsidize my transfer to Belmont, I would gladly take over the post game show...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:37 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
If they're willing to subsidize my transfer to Belmont, I would gladly take over the post game show...
you aren't at belmont are you?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:49 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
you aren't at belmont are you?
No, but if it meant a job with the Predators, I could be there by next Monday.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 03:16 PM
kivaerijo

i will miss willy, but thats about it.

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 04:14 PM
token grinder

willy may still be able to do it. guess it depends on his contract, and if 104.5 would work with the preds on this

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 04:17 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

http://www.1029thebuzz.com/

is the link for the radio and they have changed their web site to show they are the new flagship for the Preds.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 04:47 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Let's look at this statistically. 104.5 has 58K watts, 102.9 has 100k. Signal strength is 2 x as strong. Problem is that it's height is lower than 104.5 so mountains might be a problem.

1045 HAAT: 368 Meters
1029 HAAT: 291 Meters

Note from PWNicholson. 1029 has translators, or stations that play their programing, all over Alabama. Sounds like a move to strengthen the Huntsville market. Rocket City wants it's Preds.

Alabama translators:

98.1 FM
92.9 FM
100.7 FM
94.7 FM

Last edited by BigFatCat999: 09-21-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old
09-21-2010, 06:14 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
When listening to the radio I only stray away from 102.9 during commercials, for the most part. Hockey and rock fans go hand and hand it's a great move. Not to mention you can pick up the buzz almost all the way to Louisville. Now I can permanently remove 104.5 from my presets.......WOOOOOOOOOO ****ING WHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Legionnaire11

Good move if it means all games will be on one station, and rock/hockey is a good connection so if they do some cool promotions and tap into the 102.9 market to help build the fan-base then it's also good.

But I hope nobody here EVER forgets what Plaster and 104.5 meant to the "Save the Preds" effort.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 07:34 PM
glenngineer

I'll move back to Nashville if they give me a job doing pre-game, post-game and traveling with the team on the road to do the same. I'd totally be into that.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 07:34 PM
belle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Good move if it means all games will be on one station, and rock/hockey is a good connection so if they do some cool promotions and tap into the 102.9 market to help build the fan-base then it's also good.

But I hope nobody here EVER forgets what Plaster and 104.5 meant to the "Save the Preds" effort.
No worry. Plaster will not let you forget.

belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:57 PM
cleangene

That's the line of the day, belle !!! I do thank him and Willy for what they did for the PREDS, especially during the dark days. I wonder if both will (or have) re-upped for season tix?????

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 12:21 AM
Frozen Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Let's look at this statistically. 104.5 has 58K watts, 102.9 has 100k. Signal strength is 2 x as strong. Problem is that it's height is lower than 104.5 so mountains might be a problem.

1045 HAAT: 368 Meters
1029 HAAT: 291 Meters

Note from PWNicholson. 1029 has translators, or stations that play their programing, all over Alabama. Sounds like a move to strengthen the Huntsville market. Rocket City wants it's Preds.

Alabama translators:

98.1 FM
92.9 FM
100.7 FM
94.7 FM
Those translators have been in place forever. I remember when I was little and lived in Huntsville ('95) we used to get WKDF on i believe 105.1 and then when it changed to the Buzz we got that also. Then it disappeared around the time when we got the Rocket(2000ish).

My dad always had the buzz on and we'd always listen to the top 9 at 9:09(or something like that) on the way home from hockey practice. Crazy how I remember some of this stuff

Frozen Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 02:30 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Cool. I've always liked that station.

I've noticed that 104 hasn't talked much about the Preds lately anyway and I haven't heard any "Home of the Preds" commercials either.

I LOVE that we can have a station totally dedicated to the Preds. No more jumping around trying to find the game.

On their twitter page they say they have a huge announcement on Wednesday at 3pm. Wonder what it could be?
http://twitter.com/1029thebuzz

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Good, one of the only stations I listen to.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:33 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

CGC: Radio Ga Ga

I play this clip because this concert was voted by Rolling Stone Magazine as the best concert ever. The first words out of my mouth were, 'Yeah, bull..." My comments stopped after the first 1/2 of the first song and I was telling myself, 'Thank God Freddy Mercury used his Hitler-esque qualities for good not evil.' I highly recommend watching the entire concert. Youtube search: Queen live aid.

Now back on topic, the Nashville Predators and their radio switch, at 3PM, the Preds will make the official switch from 104.5 the zone to 102.9 the Buzz. What does this do for the Preds? First off, 102.9 the Buzz has twice the radio strength as 104.5 the zone. (58k watts vs. 100k watts) The move is strike to win the hearts and minds of Kentucky and Alabama. Because of this the Preds are making a airwave claim for the I-65 area. As commented on Twitter, 102.9 signal can be heard all the way to Louisville, KY; borderground territory between Nashville and Columbus. In addition, 102.9 has repeater stations, tecnical term is 'translators', in Northern Alabama. 4 to be exact. Which means that the Preds are making a claim to Huntsville. A huge city to claim. With UAH hockey and their current Balisillie-esque fight for survival, the Preds might have themselves a little brother in spirit to care for in the area. (Much like Columbus can lay claim to Miami of Ohio as their little brother. Also doesn't hurt that the other two Geoffrion Brothers play there.)

There is one drawback to the move. 104.5's tower height is 900 ft higher than 102.9's. Because of this there can be some 'shadows' in the coverage simply because no matter the strength of the signal, it can't penitrate good old Tennessee clay. My hope is that now the Preds have made their move north and south, they make a move east and west to claim the entire state of Tennessee their's. Memphis, Knoxville, and Chattanooga want hockey too!

Scratchings from the Litterbox

On Preds TV on the Predators website, Trotz is quoted as saying he was going to try and pair Weber and Ryan Ellis in the Pre-season to give Ellis a vet to learn from. Hmmmmm... Two big hard point shots from the blueline.....'Hey kid. You wanna learn how to shoot a puck through the net?'

Trotz has been loving the competition, all the players are playing hard. Rooks who want the jobs and vets who know they have prospects and depth breathing down their necks. Consistancy is the biggest difference which should be seen as a warning to Kostitsyn. He even said the guys on the top 2 lines are not safe. Trotz was quoted as saying that this has been the best scrimaging he has seen in his coaching career. Trotz's phase was 'back pressure'. My translation, even Tootoo is on notice. I know most of you think I'm insane for this but I still feel in my bones that he is expendable even with his intangibles and popularity.

In addition, Trotz says he will pair down the goalies to 3 before preseason. Which three is anyone's guess. My money says Rinne, Dekanich, and Lindback, with Pickard and Smith in Milwaukee. The question becomes, what if Lindback wins the backup job? Do you send Dekanich to Milwaukee and then Smith to Cincy? Or, do you trade him for picks?

Saturday Oct 9th first preseason game for the Preds versus the Ducks. Can we please have the Gnash duck hunt sketch on the big TV in the sky?

4 younger players sent back to their teams and the 2 ATO's cut. The team is simply too damned deep for these guys to compete. Down to 50. 23 potiential Preds, 26 potiential Admirals, and 1 potiential 3 time Memorial Cup Champion. (Yes I do mean you, Ellis)

Interesting comment from On the Forecheck about Nashville's 60 million dollar debt load. I look at the team and I say to myself that's a roster that might need a SLIGHT tweek at the deadline not a big influx of cash. If Poile continues to do his thing and save about a million in last bang bucks, what would he do if the depth grows older in Milwaukee and starts pushing vets for jobs in mid season? Could he make a trade to condense roster depth for a talent and STILL reduce the payroll? All honesty, the AHL does not have a roster limit but with the talent coming in after Juniors and the NCAA season the cupboard will not just be full but spilling over on the counter. In Milwaukee, which I'm begining to think is Sioux for 'Land of Many prospects, Ryan Flynn and Mike Bartlett could go to Cincy also with Ford, Lehman, and Cashman. If the Preds are in position to make a move to lose salary, gain picks, and not hurt the team I would consider it to chop away at the debt load. Long term team security always trumps short term gains.

On my depth chart I'm placing Sulzer in as the 7th defenseman and Johnson in Milwaukee. Trotz commented he was very happy with Sulzer's stable play and Johnson DOES have the two-way contract flexibility.

This may also be the FASTEST team Nashville has ever seen. With the trade off of Arnott for Lombardi and the shocking news that Andersson beat Lombardi on the speed testing we may just see Nashville skate teams to death. Lombardi, Legwand, Andersson, Sully. You could see two top lines with two of these players each and then a slower defensive minded player. The new sign at the top of the locker room doorway might just be 'speed kills'. On my personal depth chart, which should mean NOTHING to you simply because 1) the depth on the roster means that Trotz could put any combination of lines together and they won't suck. 2) the roster is still in flux till the team send players to Milwaukee or trades a player or six, I have Legwand and Andersson on the 3rd line with Kostitsyn and Lombardi and Sully on the first line with Hornqvist. Which leaves Dumont-Wilson-Erat on the second line and Smithson-Goc-Ward on the 4th line.

And frankly, we should be more concerned about building the roster and THEN building the lines.

As much as it's hard on Trotz to create a roster. The same will be said for Milwaukee. If O'Reilly survives waivers and goes to Milwaukee you could see Spaling on the 4th line Geoffrion on the 3rd. Kelsey Wilson, a 15 goal scorer in the AHL on the 3rd line.

Does anyone else think like I do, Nashville should do the right thing and trade Mark Santorelli to Florida to pair him up with his brother?

Luckaily the injuries suffered in camp have been on players we were expecting to go to Milwaukee; Roman Josi and Linus Klasen. This sets up the depth for the season. Florida thanked Clackson for us by cutting his backside back to the unemployment line. I just hope he's a Canadian, they have more liberal UI benefits than the US.

Old
09-22-2010, 06:27 PM
jcupp

I'm iffy on the move to 102.9. On one hand it will be very nice to know that all Preds games will be on the same station with more reach north and south. On the other hockey is a sport and 104.5 is a sports radio station, which means even if the people listening didn't necessarily go to the Preds games, they still would follow the team somewhat just because it was on sports radio. I don't think the same thing will happen with 102.9. Like some one said before I don't think George wanted to talk hockey unless Willy or a caller brought the subject up, but at least there was SOME talk about the Preds. The only time now I fear you' ll hear about the Preds is game day. I think 104.5 will be like ESPN is now towards hockey. Talk about it for about 5 seconds only if something major happens. I propose that if this does occur, we pick a day a few weeks into the season and all call in to 104.5. I only say this because I enjoy listening to Geoge and Willy and it would be a shame that I have to quit listening because they fail to talk about one of only 2 PRO sports in town!

jcupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcupp View Post
I'm iffy on the move to 102.9. On one hand it will be very nice to know that all Preds games will be on the same station with more reach north and south. On the other hockey is a sport and 104.5 is a sports radio station, which means even if the people listening didn't necessarily go to the Preds games, they still would follow the team somewhat just because it was on sports radio. I don't think the same thing will happen with 102.9. Like some one said before I don't think George wanted to talk hockey unless Willy or a caller brought the subject up, but at least there was SOME talk about the Preds. The only time now I fear you' ll hear about the Preds is game day. I think 104.5 will be like ESPN is now towards hockey. Talk about it for about 5 seconds only if something major happens. I propose that if this does occur, we pick a day a few weeks into the season and all call in to 104.5. I only say this because I enjoy listening to Geoge and Willy and it would be a shame that I have to quit listening because they fail to talk about one of only 2 PRO sports in town!
they hardly ever talked hockey except for when Terry came on & an hour before the game came on ... no one GAF in this town, particularly in the sports media, with possibly the lone exception of Thom Abraham ... I mean honest to god, how many days in a row can you talk about football ?????