HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Drury Out 4 Weeks - Broken Finger

Old
09-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Camenzuli

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Oh the hypocrisy.

All of you bashing the Drury critizisers, defending Drury with "anyone would have signed that contract", "he has never been a top player" and "we don't expect him to perform offensively"... you guys don't have any right to criticize Wade Redden either then. Sure, Redden was brought in to be a top pair offensive D-man, but Drury was brought in to be a top 6 two-way center. His nick name was "Captain Clutch", where all we've seen of his clutchness, in a NYR jersey, were two goals in a meaningless pre-season game against some Russian KHL team that nobody can even remember the name of. Here, it's been more like "Captain Crutch."

Redden's a servicable 3rd pairing veteran D-man, who would be fine if he logged about 8 minutes a game. His offensive game is non-existant. Despite playing on a team where the defense is filled with rookies and easily considered one of the weaker D-cores in the league (which he of course is a big part of), he is about to play in AHL this upcoming season.

Drury is a solid bottom pairing left winger, playing center without having any real center qualities after the face off, who can do the things that just about any NHL 3rd/4th liner can, for a fraction of his cost. His offensive game is poor to say the least and he hasn't been able to develop chemistry with one single linemate since he came here, despite trying with two different teams basically.

Despite playing on one of the weakest teams in the league center-wise (which he of course has a part in), Drury still only manages to get a bottom 6 spot, because yes, his playmaking abilities are really that brutal. Having his offense based only on opportunism, his offensive weaknesses couldn't have been more glaring than here, since he is hogging the money that should've been put on the player that could've given him his offensive opportunities.

Drury gets a big frigging pass in your books, Redden isn't even close to that. How come? In my book, they're definitely on the same page. Overpaid, declining veterans, who didn't furfill the expectations that were put on their contracts. One got a NMC (), one didn't, otherwise both should be gone, needing no other reason than the financial cap ruin they put on the team - which of course is based on their performance. Both money hoggers play on the bottom of the team, because they're not good enough for anything else. One is saved by his NMC, one isn't.

As for Drury's injury, no big deal at all. He's not a key player in any way, just another depth player and it's for a short duration. That this thread so quickly grew to 9 pages, demonstrates the controversy behing one of New York's famous albatrosses, that ends up a top 5 pick in just about any "Most overpaid in NHL" list.

I will personally cork up a bottle when Drury's hideous contract expires, because then we might at least hypothetically (I look at you $ather) be able to field a competitive team, which we can't now, wasting important prime years on our star goalie and star forward. Just as no other player ever would, Drury doesn't get a pass from underperformance.

Were his expectations set too high? Definitely, but the expectations, written in the form of $$$, are set in stone.

Although I do not agree with Drury being as useless as Redden I have to say I massively agree with the rest of your post.

His contract is keeping us from having a chance to fill out the roster with players capable of making us a contender. Yes, everyone knows that it's not his fault he was offered the contract and that Sather's is the one to blame for it but that does not change the fact that Drury cripples this organization massively(actually moreso than Redden since we can't make him dissappear).

For people to defend him because of his ability to block shots, setting a good example or silent leadership is beyond me

At the end of the day, he accepted the offer knowing the pressure that would come with it. Chris Drury seems like a smart guy, he knows as well as anyone that he is one of the reasons why the Rangers are not in a position to contend right now.

It's not like I expect it from anyone, and most definitely wouldn't do it myself, but how epic would it be if he took one for the team and signed a new contract for 3.0m per year? Then I would like Chris Drury on this team!

As it stands now though, I'd rather have him retire and get someone in who can help us achieve what we all want to achieve. Winning.

Last edited by Camenzuli: 09-21-2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Camenzuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:38 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camenzuli View Post
Although I do not agree with Drury being as useless as Redden I have to say I massively agree with the rest of your post.

His contract is keeping us from having a chance to fill out the roster with players capable of making us a contender. Yes, everyone knows that it's not his fault he was offered the contract and that Sather's is the one to blame for it but that does not change the fact that Drury cripples this organization massively(actually moreso than Redden since we can't make him dissappear).

For people to defend him because of his ability to block shots, setting a good example or silent leadership is beyond me

At the end of the day, he accepted the offer knowing the pressure that would come with it. Chris Drury seems like a smart guy, he knows as well as anyone that he is one of the reasons why the Rangers are not in a position to contend right now.

It's not like I excepct it from anyone, and most definitely wouldn't do it myself, but how epic would it be if he took one for the team and signed a new contract for 3.0m per year? Then I would like Chris Drury on this team!

As it stands now though, I'd rather have him retire and get someone in who can help us achieve what we all want to achieve. Winning.
impossible is nothing.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:42 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

It's not like I expect it from anyone, and most definitely wouldn't do it myself, but how epic would it be if he took one for the team and signed a new contract for 3.0m per year? Then I would like Chris Drury on this team!

The contract is inexcusable and impossible to defend. The player is not.

P.S. He can't sign a contract for 3M at least not until his current one expires.

09-21-2010, 09:43 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

a side note..... i love how people say "sather paid him". like the money is coming out of sather's pockets. little things like that amuse me.

on a serious note, people knock on Drury's "intangibles" and that he never was an offensive juggernaut. i think thats a joke too. true he had good teams to help inflate his stats. he seems to be a pretty intelligent guy. im pretty sure he knows he may never live up to the contract. he knows his production is slipping with age and he needs to contribute in other areas. hence the FO%, especially important draws and blocked shots. i'd bet he puts extra work into those areas knowing he just doesnt have "it" anymore offensively.

people are blinded by the contract. im not happy with it, but get that out of your vision and see how he DOES contribute to the team on the ice.

EDIT: Camenzuli, i didnt read your post before i mentioned his intelligence. not trying to be a smart@$$. what he does on the ice does not warrant that kind of $$. no secret.

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:43 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
I hate Redden being on this team as much as anyone but the undeserved love for Drury makes me want to root for Redden just a tiny bit.
Yeah, that makes no sense.

Quote:
In his 200+ games with the Rangers he has looked like the same player in all 200 games, a guy with ordinary offensive ability who is miscast as a centerman.
So he's looked like Chris Drury. Because the player you describe is exactly what Chris Drury has been.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Camenzuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

P.S. He can't sign a contract for 3M at least not until his current one expires.
It's his contract though. No Drury, no contract. I see what you mean though, it's
probably unfair to dislike him for it. But when people say Drury is not a problem to this organization it's simply not true. He is a 7 million dollar per year problem.
I admire those of you who still like him though, sort of.

Old
09-21-2010, 09:51 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Again, last year he had an off year. He's prior two seasons here were what his average years have been. He might know how much money he's making but that doesn't mean he can all the sudden become an elite player because he's being paid as such. Especially when he's never been an elite player.
in general your right, but at some point i think its the players responsibility to earn what he is making. will he ever be the player that earns 7 mil a year? no but he should elevate his game enough to earn maybe half of that. i dont want to see an above average shot blocker, pker and at best average captain making 7 mil. i am a drury supporter but this is why i understand where drury bashers are coming from.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:53 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Yeah, that makes no sense.

So he's looked like Chris Drury. Because the player you describe is exactly what Chris Drury has been.
You sir are making no sense because I was not depicting Drury in a positive light and you are defending Drury AND agreeing with what I wrote.

Also, why wasnt I warned back in 07 that we were getting a bottom 6 shotblocker if thats what expectations should have been.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:53 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
in general your right, but at some point i think its the players responsibility to earn what he is making. will he ever be the player that earns 7 mil a year? no but he should elevate his game enough to earn maybe half of that. i dont want to see an above average shot blocker, pker and at best average captain making 7 mil. i am a drury supporter but this is why i understand where drury bashers are coming from.
But that's not possible. How is a guy supposed to elevate his game just because he's severly overpaid? I'd argue that the effort and PK ability and hard work is that attempt. It might not show up in the scoring column. The fact is he's just another overpaid Ranger vet who has lost a step and is on the downside of his career.

Old
09-21-2010, 09:55 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
You sir are making no sense because I was not depicting Drury in a positive light and you are defending Drury AND agreeing with what I wrote.

Also, why wasnt I warned back in 07 that we were getting a bottom 6 shotblocker if thats what expectations should have been.
No, I'm saying that Drury has always been an ordinary offensive player.

Old
09-21-2010, 09:56 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
It's his contract though. No Drury, no contract. I see what you mean though, it's
probably unfair to dislike him for it. But when people say Drury is not a problem to this organization it's simply not true. He is a 7 million dollar per year problem.
I admire those of you who still like him though, sort of.
He's not a problem. His contract is. To extrapolate that even further, the person who gave him that contract is the problem.

Old
09-21-2010, 10:02 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
But that's not possible. How is a guy supposed to elevate his game just because he's severly overpaid? I'd argue that the effort and PK ability and hard work is that attempt. It might not show up in the scoring column. The fact is he's just another overpaid Ranger vet who has lost a step and is on the downside of his career.
id rather have blair betts than drury in terms of pk ability and hard work and id save about 5.5 mil.

like i said drury would never be the guy that earns his 7 mil, hes not gaborik. but imo hes worth maybe 2.5. he needs to be much more productive than 2.5 mil imo.

Old
09-21-2010, 10:43 AM
pzilla3

Quote:
Oh the hypocrisy.

Redden's a servicable 3rd pairing veteran D-man, who would be fine if he logged about 8 minutes a game. His offensive game is non-existant. Despite playing on a team where the defense is filled with rookies and easily considered one of the weaker D-cores in the league (which he of course is a big part of), he is about to play in AHL this upcoming season.
Does that actually make him a serviceable 5 or 6 in the NHL or were you referring to the AHL?

I don't blame Wade Redden for his contract either. What infuriates me about him is that he just doesn't seem to care.

pzilla3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:46 AM
pzilla3

Quote:

P.S. He can't sign a contract for 3M — at least not until his current one expires.
Dead on.

pzilla3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:06 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
This really doesn't make sense. He should "elevate" his game and magically become a player he never was because Sather thought he was a superstar? He's always been a guy that did everything pretty well, but nothing spectacularly.

He's 34 now, NHL players generally peak in their mid 20's level off until their early 30's and its downhill from there. That's what's happening with Drury.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:17 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
This really doesn't make sense. He should "elevate" his game and magically become a player he never was because Sather thought he was a superstar? He's always been a guy that did everything pretty well, but nothing spectacularly.

He's 34 now, NHL players generally peak in their mid 20's level off until their early 30's and its downhill from there. That's what's happening with Drury.
no, it makes perfect sense. drury needs to be more productive (offense) than what he has been showing us. he needs to be more than a good pker and shot blocker.

my other post shows what i think of drurys game. with a 7 mil contract imo he earns about 2.5. if he was more productive and earned around 4.5 there would be a lot less drury haters. this of course is all my opinion.

Old
09-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Fletch

devito...

if Drury were to be a free agent right now, even with the way he played last season, I think someone would take him for more than $2.5MM per season. $7MM, no, but $2.5MM doesn't get it done either.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:44 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
if Drury were to be a free agent right now, even with the way he played last season, I think someone would take him for more than $2.5MM per season. $7MM, no, but $2.5MM doesn't get it done either.
2.5 mil is what i would pay a 4th line center whose strengths are pking and shot blocking. if you think he should get more great.

Old
09-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Manny Malhotra signed this offseason for 2.5M with Vancouver. Personally, If i'm looking for a 3rd line center, I'd rather have him than Drury.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 12:39 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Oh the hypocrisy.

All of you bashing the Drury critizisers, defending Drury with "anyone would have signed that contract", "he has never been a top player" and "we don't expect him to perform offensively"... you guys don't have any right to criticize Wade Redden either then. Sure, Redden was brought in to be a top pair offensive D-man, but Drury was brought in to be a top 6 two-way center. His nick name was "Captain Clutch", where all we've seen of his clutchness, in a NYR jersey, were two goals in a meaningless pre-season game against some Russian KHL team that nobody can even remember the name of. Here, it's been more like "Captain Crutch."

Drury is a solid bottom pairing left winger, playing center without having any real center qualities after the face off, who can do the things that just about any NHL 3rd/4th liner can, for a fraction of his cost. His offensive game is poor to say the least and he hasn't been able to develop chemistry with one single linemate since he came here, despite trying with two different teams basically.

Despite playing on one of the weakest teams in the league center-wise (which he of course has a part in), Drury still only manages to get a bottom 6 spot, because yes, his playmaking abilities are really that brutal. Having his offense based only on opportunism, his offensive weaknesses couldn't have been more glaring than here, since he is hogging the money that should've been put on the player that could've given him his offensive opportunities.

Drury gets a big frigging pass in your books, Redden isn't even close to that. How come? In my book, they're definitely on the same page. Overpaid, declining veterans, who didn't furfill the expectations that were put on their contracts. One got a NMC (), one didn't, otherwise both should be gone, needing no other reason than the financial cap ruin they put on the team - which of course is based on their performance. Both money hoggers play on the bottom of the team, because they're not good enough for anything else. One is saved by his NMC, one isn't.

As for Drury's injury, no big deal at all. He's not a key player in any way, just another depth player and it's for a short duration. That this thread so quickly grew to 9 pages, demonstrates the controversy behing one of New York's famous albatrosses, that ends up a top 5 pick in just about any "Most overpaid in NHL" list.

I will personally cork up a bottle when Drury's hideous contract expires, because then we might at least hypothetically (I look at you $ather) be able to field a competitive team, which we can't now, wasting important prime years on our star goalie and star forward. Just as no other player ever would, Drury doesn't get a pass from underperformance.

Were his expectations set too high? Definitely, but the expectations, written in the form of $$$, are set in stone.
Wow...really? Wow..."oh the hypocrisy"...just wow. The ego's on this board are insane.

I feel like some others do that Drury is worth about 2-3 mil of his contract and is great at what he does while Redden is worth about vet minimum and barely functions at what he does to the point where he can be a healthy scratch constantly and the team wouldn't miss a beat.

You can disagree and feel that Redden is better than that which means we disagree so we'll leave it at that. That said also recognize I also agree Drury is part of the problem with this team with that extra 4-5 mil he covers up.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
No they wouldn't, come on.

I think NY'ers just like outspoken leaders and Drury is hardly that, which makes it seem like he doesn't care half the time. I think he does care, but NY was not the right destination for him. He was never an elite player or anything, but it literally seems like he's afraid to touch the puck here or show any kind of assertiveness. There's just way too much pressure on him here and it's hurting his performance, which in turn is making us hate him
There's not one person who will say drurys contract is good, because it isn't. He's not a bad player, he doesn't hurt the team when he's on the ice. And the fact that he's captain is where the real issue comes in. Every captain for a long time will always be measured up to messier. If drury was tough as nails like messier and an outspoken leader like messier I truly believe his criticism would be cut in half at least. But fact is he's not that type of captain but it doesn't make him a bad one.

Him being out for a few games does nothing more then give stepan a little bit of nhl experience because when drurys healthy he will be back and some one will need to go. Don't hate the player, hate the contract. And in no way is the contract his fault like some are suggesting. Yeah drury knew how much he's getting offered but should he really say we'll I'm only worth 4 million so ill just take that? Hell not its the last big contract of his career and if sather was stupid enough to offer it every one here would do the same thing he did and take it.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Camenzuli

Quote:
He's not a problem. His contract is. To extrapolate that even further, the person who gave him that contract is the problem.
Hey, I'm not defending Sather either. Believe me.

But like I said; no Drury, no contract. We definitely would be better off without him, therefore, he is a problem. A pretty big one too.

In all fairness, it's a meaningless debate. He's not going anywhere. It just amazes me how people find it fitting to defend a player that is handcuffing the organization you support. He wasn't the one giving himself the contract but he is still the guy we waste 7million in cap space on.

Old
09-21-2010, 01:08 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Hey, I'm not defending Sather either. Believe me.

But like I said; no Drury, no contract. We definitely would be better off without him, therefore, he is a problem. A pretty big one too.

In all fairness, it's a meaningless debate. He's not going anywhere. It just amazes me how people find it fitting to defend a player that is handcuffing the organization you support. He wasn't the one giving himself the contract but he is still the guy we waste 7million in cap space on.
I've said it before and I'll say it again...singing Gomez and Drury at the time was the right move. They both were coming off great seasons and it was supposed to put us over the top after a solid 06-07 season. The signings just didn't work...it happens all the time in sports...we just got a bad, bad, bad break.

The Redden signing on the other hand...that was just pure idiocy. He hadn't been good in 2 years...

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Camenzuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again...singing Gomez and Drury at the time was the right move. They both were coming off great seasons and it was supposed to put us over the top after a solid 06-07 season. The signings just didn't work...it happens all the time in sports...we just got a bad, bad, bad break.

The Redden signing on the other hand...that was just pure idiocy. He hadn't been good in 2 years...
Not sure if I'm getting you here. Bad break? How? It's not like Drury's been struggling with injuries or anything? He just hasn't lived up to his 7 million per year contract. Simply because he is not worth 7 million and probably never was. I wouldn't call it a bad break though. Bad decision is more fitting.

Old
09-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Vitto79

Drury is way over paid but he is the Captain and he is a top PKer. So yea this blows. I have a feeling he will be ready opening night though. If not its only a few games

Man this is going to be a tough call to see who makes the team.

my guess ion the F crew is below but I have no idea who plays where.

I could also see a trade for just draft picks to clear spots. Fedotenko may make it as a spare too

Frolov, Christiensen, Gaborik
Dubinsky, Anisimov, Callahan
Avery, Drury, Prospal
Kennedy, White, Prust
Boogaard, Boyle

Grachev, Stepan, Zuccarello
Byers, Newbury, Williams
Weise.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote