HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training Camp Thread - Camp is over, season starts TODAY!

Old
09-20-2010, 12:13 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Josi is out 4-6 weeks with a broken wrist.

http://twitter.com/NHLPredsInsider

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:57 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Josi is out 4-6 weeks with a broken wrist.

http://twitter.com/NHLPredsInsider
oh wow. that sucks.

Obviously settles the issue of where he starts the season.

And I think you really cant overstate the effect not being in camp will have.

He'll start in milwaukee, have to play catch up, and then prove that he's the guy for a call-up.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
The fast
Lomardi

The good
Josi
Smithson
Goc
Suter
Hornqvist
Bam Bam
Lindback
Dex
Dumont
Sullivan
Beck
Borque
Franson

The enigma
SK

The bad
Erat
Klein
Pickard
The other Wilson
Ford
Lundmark

The ugly
Klein
Blum
Wilson

I thought Blum and Wilson looked out of place yesterday. Wilson finally turned things on after the first 2 periods, but he made many bad passes and was offsides about five times. Like I said, he turned it up, but man was it bad. His shootout shot was also uninspiring.

Blum- holy Moses. AWFUL day. Bad outlet passes. Bad play along the boards. Turn over, decision making, etc. Just not a good day. He ahd a couple of nice plays but the bad>good
Interesting that you don't mention LOMBARDI in any of these categories. I would think he would be on the "good" list.
Tell me what Erat did or did not do yesterday to be put in the "bad"
And what your observation was of Wilson, to be put in the "ugly" category, completely opposite of the coaching staff and many others. (Wilson probably thrilled you are not the coach).
Josi out 4 - 6 weeks with broken wrist sucks. At least this time it was not a Shea Weber shot that caused the injury. He is good, too bad we will have to wait

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
Interesting that you don't mention LOMBARDI in any of these categories. I would think he would be on the "good" list.
Tell me what Erat did or did not do yesterday to be put in the "bad"
And what your observation was of Wilson, to be put in the "ugly" category, completely opposite of the coaching staff and many others. (Wilson probably thrilled you are not the coach).
Josi out 4 - 6 weeks with broken wrist sucks. At least this time it was not a Shea Weber shot that caused the injury. He is good, too bad we will have to wait
I did, I put Lomardi in the fast.

Erat had turnovers, was a puck hug most of the time and once again tried to do too much by himself.

Wilson had many offsides, a couple turn overs. Like I said, he did make a few plays there were good, I just didn't think he looked nearly as good as I expected. If you read my post, you would see that I said he turned it up after the first, but that first was BAD

Josi looked like our 2nd best D man (besides suter) on the ice until his injury.

Oh, and let me put Belak on as GOOD because he scored a goal.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
I did, I put Lomardi in the fast.

Erat had turnovers, was a puck hug most of the time and once again tried to do too much by himself.

Wilson had many offsides, a couple turn overs. Like I said, he did make a few plays there were good, I just didn't think he looked nearly as good as I expected. If you read my post, you would see that I said he turned it up after the first, but that first was BAD

Josi looked like our 2nd best D man (besides suter) on the ice until his injury.

Oh, and let me put Belak on as GOOD because he scored a goal.
Yes, you are right... you did have Lombardi down "fast". Erat hogging the puck may have been a result of coach trotz telling them the night before to play selfish. (who knows). Belak goal, after watching the highlights was a pass from Wilson, who also had a goal. The Josi injury is just too bad! I really think he may have beat Blum out to start the season. Like I said before, we will have to wait.

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Too bad about Josi.

Did Rinne look better yesterday and today than he looked on Saturday? He was letting so many in I think I could have scored on him, but I am pretty sure it was just one of those days.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:29 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I thought #2 Anderson (I think) looked good on defense. Also thought Klein looked better. Didn't watch the forwards as much.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:58 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I thought #2 Anderson (I think) looked good on defense. Also thought Klein looked better. Didn't watch the forwards as much.
2 is Aaron Johnson, and he comes in with some high praise from his past two teams' fans, the Oilers and the Flames.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 04:13 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I'm a Knights fan (where SK played Jr) and also a Habs fans. I was curious about how SK was doing so far in camp for the Preds.

Last year when things went totally off the rails for SK in Montreal it was a weird situation. I don't want to bog down your thread with conjecture about what happened, so I'll just stick with the concept mentioned that SK seems "bored or disinterested"

When he got sent down to the AHL last year one of the Habs fans in that AHL town kept harping about the same "bored and disinterested" complaint. Watching him play first hand I sometimes wonder what those folks are talking about. I don't know if folks are just predisposed to label the kid because they don't like him, or because they expect a certain style of play. Or they just aren't used to him

I've watched this kid played since 1995. He's not the type to run around expending a lot of energy just to look like he is doing something. He covers his check on PKs effectively through good positional play and anticipation. He is more of a playmaker than a scorer

In one game in Jr it went to a 5 min OT on the road. The Knights took a penalty with less than 2 minutes so it was 4 on 3. Shortly after they took another penalty which created a 5 on 3 Penalty Kill situation for the balance of the game . SK was on the ice covering the man at the blueline. Without a lot of running around he managed to separate the puck from the man he was covering and go down the ice to score an improbable 2 man short handed game winner.

On powerplays (5 forward power play unit with no D men) SK was the ONLY guy back at the blueline. The other 4 were boxed down low to set up a cycle side to side that often went through SK. Not only was he dependable enough to handle that task without coughing up the puck, if he did have to hustle back on D he did so without any problem

He managed to handle both PK and PP roles successfully without looking like one of those people on a sugar rush. He's not much of a talker. He does have a temper.

As long as he has played for the Belarus national teams (World Jrs, Olympics etc), and he has been a regular, he has always been one of their best players. So I am not getting this whole bored and disinterested angle

I hope Preds fans give the kid a chance. He has had a rough ride the last couple of years and didn't deserve all of the criticism thrown his way. But if you actual see him dog it and cost the team in some way then let him have it. I can't say I ever really saw much of that in Montreal. It mainly seemed to be "off ice" stuff reported in the press that led to negative perception of on ice play

I hope SK works out great for you. In the right situation he can really be an asset

Remember though the Knights team he played on was pretty stacked. Not quite as good as out Memorial cup winning team but good none the less. He has a penchent for taking bad penalties at bad times kinda like his brother.

29dryden29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 05:28 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Can we not turn this thread into a bunch of bitterness towards SK? I think we'd all appreciate it.

It's a shame about Josi. I think the majority of us were hoping to see him given a shot. I'm also disappointed with the comments about Blum. I was hoping that the negative remarks in his regard after development camp were merely spawned from his not wanting to be there. If he can't get up for the big club's training camp then something is wrong.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 07:48 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Can we not turn this thread into a bunch of bitterness towards SK? I think we'd all appreciate it.

It's a shame about Josi. I think the majority of us were hoping to see him given a shot. I'm also disappointed with the comments about Blum. I was hoping that the negative remarks in his regard after development camp were merely spawned from his not wanting to be there. If he can't get up for the big club's training camp then something is wrong.

The injury bug seems to be biting hard this season at camp Kuba in Ottawa broke his leg also hopefully this trend doesn't continue.

Old
09-21-2010, 02:08 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Remember though the Knights team he played on was pretty stacked. Not quite as good as out Memorial cup winning team but good none the less. He has a penchent for taking bad penalties at bad times kinda like his brother.
Two common misconceptions about SK:

1. He played on stacked teams or played with Kane and gagner.
He played his second season with kane and gagner. He was not regular linemates with Kane and gagner as Dale Hunter shuffles lines constantly. Often he used SK to try and get another offensive threat line. The kid was a legit playmaker in his own right, which was why he was the 5th forward on the PP playing back at the blueline alone

As for stacked teams? Season #1 (no Kane or gagner) was a good but not great team. The interesting thing about that season was how well SK performed in the playoffs. Dave Bolland was the major player that season. He took a lengthy suspension in the first round. SK stepped up and filled those shoes well. He ended up 2nd in OHL scoring for the playoffs that year with 13 goals and 24 assists in 19 games

2. He takes a lot of bad penalties:
In season 2 he arguably took some bad ones with 64 PIM in 56 games. Last season he had 8 pim in 47 games. That's a penalty once every 12 games. By the way AK had 33 pim last year. Some might have been dumb but he hardly had a big rep as a penalty problem.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 05:03 AM
OpenWheel

I appreciate these training camp reports. Some interesting stuff.

Although, so far I've learned that Wilson was good, or he sucked. That Blum was good, or he sucked. And that SK was disinterested, or really working with his line.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 09-21-2010 at 05:11 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:29 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Open, I only spent about 30 minutes there yesterday so my time was limited. Players I tend to watch more are defensemen. I thought #2 stood out as a good defensive defenseman that had decent size and was able to keep up, #77 Parent looked decent too, made decent quick decisions on the few breakouts I witnessed and was able to play good defense. Klein looked like he was keeping the play in front of him more and not just using his speed to cover for his mistakes. If Klein and figure this part of the game out, watchout, he could easily replace Hamhuis, he did not handle the puck much while I was there.

The forwards I noticed mostly were Dumont and Beck and who ever was wearing 12.

Old
09-21-2010, 12:43 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Two common misconceptions about SK:

1. He played on stacked teams or played with Kane and gagner.
He played his second season with kane and gagner. He was not regular linemates with Kane and gagner as Dale Hunter shuffles lines constantly. Often he used SK to try and get another offensive threat line. The kid was a legit playmaker in his own right, which was why he was the 5th forward on the PP playing back at the blueline alone

As for stacked teams? Season #1 (no Kane or gagner) was a good but not great team. The interesting thing about that season was how well SK performed in the playoffs. Dave Bolland was the major player that season. He took a lengthy suspension in the first round. SK stepped up and filled those shoes well. He ended up 2nd in OHL scoring for the playoffs that year with 13 goals and 24 assists in 19 games

2. He takes a lot of bad penalties:
In season 2 he arguably took some bad ones with 64 PIM in 56 games. Last season he had 8 pim in 47 games. That's a penalty once every 12 games. By the way AK had 33 pim last year. Some might have been dumb but he hardly had a big rep as a penalty problem.
Bad penalties doesn't mean he took lots of penalties it means he took lazy penalties or penalties at bad times of the game.

Old
09-21-2010, 02:00 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Please keep the thread on training camp activities. One more post derailing this thread will lead to thread ban at minimum.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 03:15 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Ok, so this Beck kid stood out to me again today as did 24 and 28 Anderson.

On defense 77 looked good and Blum looked better than Boullion (his defensive partner), Franson looked ok, should have played the body once and didn't.

Also, Tootoo looks like he's been working on his hands, his stickwork has improved.

Old
09-21-2010, 03:51 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Leggy/Andersson pairing were the two best players on the ice, imo.

I didn't think Franson stood out that much today, I thought Blum was better.

Thureson hammered Belak, and Belak was pissed and grimmacing.

I watched the first period next to Roussel's dad. He was a really nice guy and I enjoyed getting to chat with him.

I agree with previous poster about Toots. He was running around and made a couple of nice moves, but also fired a few ineffective shots off way off target, and scored no goals.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 04:12 PM
kivaerijo

Quote:
On defense 77 looked good and Blum looked better than Boullion (his defensive partner), Franson looked ok, should have played the body once and didn't.
do to whatever francis has done to you or your family in a previous life, i can never take your word for anything negative about him.

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 05:06 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

He's not done anything to me, I just don't think he's very good. Never have and he's not done anything to change my mind.

Old
09-21-2010, 05:21 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

The deck of cards get's smaller. 6 cut, down to 50.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NSH|home

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 05:29 PM
predfan24

Surprised Latta didn't stick around longer. i guess they want a better look at some of the older guys. (Flynn, Santorelli, Thang) I think it says a lot for Beck to be still around as he is now the youngest draft pick in camp. He has been impressive and earned it. The team is too deep this year but if he dominates junior again this year and progresses the way he should I could see him making the team next year.

Watson is really really raw. After watching him I am a little concerned that perhaps he is too much of a "safe" pick. I think he is pretty much guaranteed to make the NHL. As a top 6 guy? I don't know if he has the skillset for it.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 05:30 PM
predfan24

Quote:
He's not done anything to me, I just don't think he's very good. Never have and he's not done anything to change my mind.
I only got to see the first half in Rink B but to me it looked like Boullion was clearly a calming influence on Blum. Blum is clearly more skilled but it was obvious who was the vet and who was the rookie.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:42 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

To me it looked opposite. Cube pinched when Blum had the puck on the half boards once. Another time he missed 2 chances to push the puck back in the zone and didn't, skating the puck all the way back into his zone then turning the puck over.

Old
09-21-2010, 09:56 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Trig, i like you, buddy...we go back...but I'm not as sold on Blum as you are. I actually thought he looked better at camp last season than he has in the three sessions I've seen thus far. Clearly the potential is there, but I don't think he's ready this season. I'd feel better with either of Parent or Johnson, at this point.

Similarly, I had hoped to be impressed by one of the goalies to the point that I felt like the in-house route for a backup was the right move, but all have looked not ready. Pickard has been one of the more disappointing players in camp, IMO. Dekanich has parallelled his season in the AHL last year -- great at times, absolutely dreadful at times, and Lindback has been up and down as well. Still hope that there's a plan if these guys don't work out, as Poile claims...

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote