HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

NHL Center ICE?

Old
09-03-2010, 01:50 PM
terrrrrible

vCash: 500
Decided to call up Comcast yesterday and see if they were going to be offering any other MSG channels, and of course they had nothing for me. I take it if I were to sign up for Center Ice, they wouldn't have the MSG HD feed? I may just call them again and find out what the situation with that is.

Unfortunately, I'm not in control of my cable situation, so if I'm stuck with watching the Rangers in SD, I'm stuck with it.

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I heard that on Canadian tv providers they offer the GameCenter Live free if you buy Center Ice..

Do they throw that in with DirecTV?

If not, if someone here tried both, which one do you think is better?
I think you might be able to get GameCenter Live for a lower price with Center Ice, but it's not free.

I personally like watching on TV's better so I like Center Ice, but haven't had it for a couple of years and was using GameCenter. It's come a long ways since when it first came out but I still sometimes have quality and connection problems. If you travel around or might be away from home a lot when games are on, then GameCenter is probably the better choice, otherwise, Center Ice. I don't think the prices are even all that different these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
VS has come back to DirecTV so you won't have to worry about missing games from that.
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...setId=P6220002 If DirecTV is your provider. However, if your going with CenterIce through DirectTV, the MSG broadcasts won't be in HiDef (well 99% of them anyway). Because Dolan's a chode and doesn't share HiDef outside his MSG as much as possible. If you call DirecTV and get clarification before you order it on whether or not you'll be blacked out, make sure you get the customer server rep to note it in your file that they said "you won't be", because they're clueless and when it turns out you are because they really don't know and will tell you whatever you want to make sure you order it...raise hell and make sure you get something =) ...like I did when I ordered the sports package and it turned out the Ranger games were blocked out because I was outside of the NY Metro area, although I was told I would get it. I ended up ordering CenterIce, which costs me about the same for the year and gets me what I wanted, though I raised hell and got a bunch of pay chances and a couple of months and 5 bucks off my bill for 12 months =). Best of luck!

DirecTV support are clueless and just want to sell you more because they're supervisors force them to, but they're only as bad as all other TV providers. I heard Verizon FIOS is a bit better because they're trying to break in.
Pretty sure that the reason MSG wasn't the HD feed last year was that Dolan was being a dick about providing it to the NHL for Center Ice, but that got worked out at the end of last year and they should be providing the HD feed for games on MSG now.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:49 PM
TreeSapLlama

While it doesn't help most of you, If you are in Canada and have Shaw cable you get Gamecenter with Center Ice:
Quote:
Subscribe to NHL ® Centre Ice™ today and get access to live, online streaming hockey action with NHL GameCenter LIVE™. Enjoy multi-game view and complete access to the REPLAY game archive without blackouts. You can also access picture-in-picture and pause, fast forward, and rewind each game.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Levitate

also, does anyone know if Game Center is auto renewing this year? I can't find any information about that

Old
09-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Ail
Occult Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
also, does anyone know if Game Center is auto renewing this year? I can't find any information about that
Nor can I, and I'm curious because they definitely still have my billing info.

09-03-2010, 05:43 PM
terrrrrible

So, Comcast only offers MSG where I am, no MSG+/2/2+ or whatever other channels there are. I asked about Center Ice, and they said that the MSG HD feed would be blacked out. Boo hiss.

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 12:10 PM
CDeck93

I just ordered CI for Verizon Fios, and notice they have 2 HD channels set up. Do they plan on making more HD channels for Fios? If it is just two channels, does that mean it will be random as to which games will be broadcast in HD each night?

CDeck93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:08 PM
pokerface1

What do you mean by random? The games will be be scheduled ahead of time, at least that's how it's been over the last couple years through RCN in the NYC area. Lucky that you have 2 HD channels on FIOS, RCN only has 1 and I don't think they're gonna do anything different in the future.....

pokerface1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:18 PM
Levitate

Kind of crazy to me that different providers vary so much in how many HD games they offer.

DirecTv boasts that most games are in HD, while others only have 2 channels or so...

Old
09-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Senorchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrrrrible View Post
So, Comcast only offers MSG where I am, no MSG+/2/2+ or whatever other channels there are. I asked about Center Ice, and they said that the MSG HD feed would be blacked out. Boo hiss.
Comcast is awful for Center Ice/HD sports in general, I found. I ditched them for DirecTV because of this. The final straw was one night a year and a half ago where the NHL had 13 games being played in one night - Comcast only dedicated 10 channels to Center Ice, and the Rangers game was one of the three to get bumped!

It really is no comparison - DirecTV has (most of the time) both home and away feeds, and both in HD where available (which includes MSG now, yay!). With MSG coming on board (which is a lot of HD feeds - Isles, Devs, Rangers, Sabres), I think it's just the Canadian teams' feeds that you won't get in HD (and MSG feeds bumped down to MSG2).

Senorchris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 02:09 PM
egelband

i'm very happy to chime in here. i was in japan and got pretty much every ranger game. i never had a blackout situation. probably cuz i was in japan. but regardless, the quality was great. better than nba and mld. on par with the nfl. i was very happy with it.
i guess it was a bit pricey, but i wanted to see hockey. i don't know about the playoffs. probably it was a pay-more-for-the-playoffs situation. but i didn't care cuz the blueshirts weren't there.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Vito Andolini

Can someone confirm if IO has any Center Ice games in HD? I had it last season but I never noticed any games looking like they were HD quality.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote