HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Perreault's future with Caps

Old
09-21-2010, 03:16 PM
HTFN

vCash: 500
Hell, maybe they ought to just waive Steckel.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 04:25 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
That really flies in the face of McPhee's style. If Perreault wins a roster spot and is good, he's not going to trade him. If Johansson earns the spot and is good and Perreualt does well as an injury fill in during the season, then I might see McPhee trading Perreault. He would be a spare part rather than a primary part.

McPhee trading a player that has played his way onto the NHL team and then thrived with a career ahead of him being traded for a rental makes no sense.
At some point in his career, I'm sure backing out of verbal agreements, trading team captains and shunning contracted players also flew in the face of GMGM's MO.

JawandaPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
At some point in his career, I'm sure backing out of verbal agreements, trading team captains and shunning contracted players also flew in the face of GMGM's MO.
He was suggesting that McPhee wouldn't trade Perreault because it would constitute a stupid personnel decision, not because it would violate some moral standard of his.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 04:55 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
He was suggesting that McPhee wouldn't trade Perreault because it would constitute a stupid personnel decision, not because it would violate some moral standard of his.
Dealing a "good" MP doesn't necessarily constitute a stupid decision. For one thing, it depends on his ceiling. If MP turns out to be a good 2C, then yes, it would be a strange personnel decision to trade him for another 2C. However, if MP turns out to be only a good 3C, then packaging him in a deal for a legit 2C, would seems like a smart personnel decision in particularly for a 'cup run' team.

In that context, one could interpret the response in question to be about GMGM's "moral" standard, for lack of a better term...at least I think so.

Old
09-21-2010, 05:02 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Dealing a "good" MP doesn't necessarily constitute a stupid decision. For one thing, it depends on his ceiling. If MP turns out to be a good 2C, then yes, it would be a strange personnel decision to trade him for another 2C. However, if MP turns out to be only a good 3C, then packaging him in a deal for a legit 2C, would seems like a smart personnel decision in particularly for a 'cup run' team.

In that context, one could interpret the response in question to be about GMGM's "moral" standard, for lack of a better term...at least I think so.
is there an award for Excellence in Circumlocutory Trolling that we can nominate you for?

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 06:07 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
is there an award for Excellence in Circumlocutory Trolling that we can nominate you for?
I'd have to agree, my last sentence was unnecessarily wordy. Will rectify eventually, GrammarBuddy.

Old
09-21-2010, 06:52 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

I'm pretty sure any awards for circumlocutory anything would have to be given to Drake.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:52 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

When was the last time a Cup contender traded a useful player off the roster at the deadline?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:59 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
When was the last time a Cup contender traded a useful player off the roster at the deadline?
It wasn't one of their better years but NJ dumped Arnott in 2002

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:26 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
doesn't that depend heavily on what you call a contender? pothier-for-corvo could count.

i think the last time a cup Winner moved a roster player was when carolina picked up recchi.

Old
09-21-2010, 11:36 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
doesn't that depend heavily on what you call a contender? pothier-for-corvo could count.

i think the last time a cup Winner moved a roster player was when carolina picked up recchi.
Actually, that would be CHI - MIN: Cam Barker (young 3rd pairing guy with upside) for Kim Johnsson (vet top four) + Nick Leddy (good prospect).

And that's the type of deal I was thinking of wrt MP: a young 3C (MP) (plus maybe a prospect or draft pick) for a vet 2C (plus maybe a prospect or draft pick), at the TDL.

Another example was PHX - COL: Mueller + Porter for Wolski at the TDL

Old
09-22-2010, 06:38 AM
realroadrage
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Apparantly Perreault has another year of being excempt from waivers. If the choice is sending Johansson back to Sweden where he is lost for the season or sending Perreault to Hershey were he can be recalled at anytime, logic says they keep the two players rather than just one.

This assumes that both prove they can play in the NHL.

Alzner got sent to Hershey because he could be while lesser players were kept on the roster because they might be lost on waivers. That basic reality qualifies as a shot.
Alzner's past situation definitely supports your theory, but I hope that this comes down to McPhee putting the players on the ice that give the Caps the best chance to win this year.

realroadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:15 AM
txpd

who are those players exactly? seems to me that pothier had more impact in the caps system than corvo did. corvo has an nhl job this year and pothier doesnt.

do the caps beat if alzner plays all season after mcphee trades jurcina in camp for a 3rd round pick? that means clark and chimera dont change places and mcphee still has clark on the salary cap now?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:23 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Actually, that would be CHI - MIN: Cam Barker (young 3rd pairing guy with upside) for Kim Johnsson (vet top four) + Nick Leddy (good prospect).
that was not a trade deadline deal.

Quote:
And that's the type of deal I was thinking of wrt MP: a young 3C (MP) (plus maybe a prospect or draft pick) for a vet 2C (plus maybe a prospect or draft pick), at the TDL.

Another example was PHX - COL: Mueller + Porter for Wolski at the TDL
yes, most people here don't believe flash will pan out as 2c, and are hoping makfi is looking for a deal in this vein. however, at first blush, MP seems to have some nice chemistry with his linemates, so i'll reserve judgement about your idea - you probably shouldn't break up chemistry at the trade deadline for a "fantasy hockey" upgrade.

Old
09-22-2010, 06:38 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
that was not a trade deadline deal.
Stand corrected, it was 19 days before TDL. Thanks, CalendarBuddy.

Quote:
yes, most people here don't believe flash will pan out as 2c, and are hoping makfi is looking for a deal in this vein. however, at first blush, MP seems to have some nice chemistry with his linemates, so i'll reserve judgement about your idea - you probably shouldn't break up chemistry at the trade deadline for a "fantasy hockey" upgrade.
MP has more than nice chemistry with his linemates, he's a player. Good stickhandler, good passer, maneuvers wells in tight areas, raises his game during playoff season. The potential issue is matching up against Malkin, Staal et al -- and that's no fantasy, buddy.

Old
09-22-2010, 06:56 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Stand corrected, it was 19 days before TDL. Thanks, CalendarBuddy.

MP has more than nice chemistry with his linemates, he's a player. Good stickhandler, good passer, maneuvers wells in tight areas, raises his game during playoff season. The potential issue is matching up against Malkin, Staal et al -- and that's no fantasy, buddy.
the caps swept the pens in the regular season last year. you're saying that the situation will reverse because MP is now the 3C?

i'll admit that you're better at making fun of my username that understanding the caps roster, so maybe your skills are being wasted on hfboards and there's an elementary school in the greater vancouver area that would welcome you?

Last edited by PuckBuddy: 09-22-2010 at 07:02 PM. Reason: retracting compliment: actually, the cracks at my username were pretty lame.
Old
09-22-2010, 07:04 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
the caps swept the pens in the regular season last year. you're saying that the situation will reverse because MP is now the 3C?

i'll admit that you're better at making fun of my username that understanding the caps roster, so maybe your skills are being wasted on hfboards and there's an elementary school in the greater vancouver area that would welcome you?

Old
09-22-2010, 07:10 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:

Old
09-22-2010, 09:47 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

if he wants to be a regular in our lineup, he needs to get past hitting that proverbial 6 game wall he seems to stall out at. but he does seem more motivated this year and is 10 pounds heavier. As our 7th ranked prospect, we need this guy to come through for us. That first preseason wall he has to climb should be getting close.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 03:14 PM
regehr

I say let Johansson go back to SEL for one final year to develop his offensive game, hope he gets near a pt per game. Then he comes in next yr as a 21-yr-old firmly as 2C.

In the meantime, let Fleischmann play his way out of the 2C role. As long as Laich is on that line with him and Semin, it should be OK for grit/defensive awareness.

Then Perreault gets 3C between Fehr and Chimera - a line that seems to have good chemistry and a good balance of offense and defense.

The problem of course is that neither Fleischmann nor Perreault are good on draws, but the Caps have two of the best faceoff guys in the league in Steckel and B.Gordon, so in a critical situation, they could take the draw and change on the fly with Perreault/Fleischmann. It's not ideal, but it's do-able.

Here's the lines:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Knuble
Laich-Fleischmann-Semin
Chimera-Perreault-Fehr
B.Gordon-Steckel-Bradley
extras: King, A.Gordon

Last edited by regehr: 09-25-2010 at 03:19 PM.
regehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 04:06 PM
txpd

the main problem with this MP in and Johansson to SEL plan is the damage to the depth. In today's NHL the more players you have the better off you are. Its just a fact of life.

If Johansson goes back to Sweden, he is done for the season. If Perreault in is Hershey, he is 90 minutes away. Two players are better than one by far.

Old
09-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

First of all, decide what is best in the long run for Johansson's development. If he's ready, then fine - you then start debating the best course and waiver exemption issues. The priority needs to be making the right decision in isolation for his development, though. He's young as hell. That ought to be divorced from the Caps' depth issues. If he could use the development time, then send him home and sign or promote a center.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Miller30Sabres*

Johansson for 2nd Center!!!!!!! he is the next Backstrom from what ive seen!

Miller30Sabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 04:42 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
First of all, decide what is best in the long run for Johansson's development. If he's ready, then fine - you then start debating the best course and waiver exemption issues. The priority needs to be making the right decision in isolation for his development, though. He's young as hell. That ought to be divorced from the Caps' depth issues. If he could use the development time, then send him home and sign or promote a center.
I assume that he is up to playing the game at that level when I say he should stay. If he is not up to it, send him home.

Old
09-25-2010, 05:30 PM
artilector

I think it's usually not very clear cut with good young players, whether they are ready to play or not. A lot of them need actual NHL time to take the next step, and a coach's confidence and linemates also make all the difference in the world.

So even if MoJo isn't completely ready to be the 2C or 3C on day 1, I don't think that should be a sufficient condition to send him home.

The way I see it, the Caps have 3 legit guys for the 2C/3C roles, and it would be nice if all of them could be kept in the fold, and battle it out during the season. I have a feeling that neither the SEL nor Hershey will do much for MJo/MP's development -- nothing comparable to what NHL minutes would do.

But it's a pickle. Sending MJo to Sweden seems a waste, sending MP to Hershey is not much better, Boudreau probably won't consider playing them together and sending Flash to wing..

I don't know.. in a way, sending MJo back to Sweden is the most conservative step. Nobody's feathers get ruffled, Flash and MP battle it out for 2C/3C and long-term future with the Caps. McPhee can get a vet center at the deadline if it doesn't work out. Then next season MJo comes back and one of Flash/MP is dealt.

But I would like to see the Caps somehow keep everybody, and then hopefully the young guys can play Flash off the 2C spot. Even if that means someone has to be taking 4th line shifts or playing wing..

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote