HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ever get blackballed from a team?

Old
09-21-2010, 05:07 AM
Pierre Gotye

vCash: 500
Ever get blackballed from a team?

Just curious. I was once Captain of a team that folded(mostly because we didn't like the league we were playing in--Christian league with dumb rules and opposing players who never followed them).

So we went other ways.

I'll try to sum this up. The team went two different ways with most of it going to one team further away from me and another fraction going to the rink close to me. I went to the team further away from me, but decided I didn't want to drive that far.

The team closer to me, their Captain said he would get me ice time this summer, but never called. I asked him about joining him full-time this winter, and now he seems hesitant.

What's funny is, I put my name on the free-agent list and got a phone call from a guy who's running a team in the same rink. I hadn't necessarily cared much for his team in the past because the guy running it is a goalie, who lost and refused to shake my winning goaltender's hand. He's also once gotten into an on-ice fight with one of his players. So I am not quite sure if I want to deal with him. While, I can't say I've ever played with him, I can say that I haven't ever been motivated to play for him.

So I am kind of torn. Part of me thinks I shouldn't play for the new team, but another part of me thinks...hey, here's my chance to get on a team and prove the old guy from my team that he wrong me. Since I could play defense against my old team, it would be my chance to show them what they passed up on.

Hockey politics are such a weird thing, I don't always understand them, and I hate them.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:26 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

i wouldnt say its politics. more just "earning the right" i guess.

i'm a forward. our goalie didnt show up for our first league game last tuesday, so instead of forfeitting (sp?), we played with a 6th skater. about 5 minutes into the first, i was that 6th man. i dug the puck up from the corner went to take it up ice. as i was crossing in front of the goal (a no-no to begin with, i know), i lost control of the puck and it went right into my own empty goal. the rest of the first i was playing VERY cautious, and the other guys wouldnt let me play up in my natural position (LW, C). once i was playing steady for a while back there, they would slowly give me more time where i felt comfortable.

now im not a bad hockey player. far from the best, but im nowhere near a beginner either. i pretty much had to prove my worth out there, which may be in the boat you are in. id also bet you are stuck on your current team with no way to go back to your former. a bit of a double edged sword if you will....

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Noir

Wow. Too much drama man. I've been there and know it's unavoidable sometimes but for the love of hockey, just keep your head down (politics-wise) and just play. Usually when I find myself in a game against an old teammate or old team, It's pretty cordial during warm-up.

As for the goalie you don't think you like, if you don't have any other options, might as well play for him for one season and see how it goes. Again, all because of "the love" for hockey.

Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:03 AM
nickerjones

Send a message via AIM to nickerjones Send a message via Yahoo to nickerjones
Hockey Politics is a weird thing here in OK too.. I am a beginner and I see it happening all the time. Of course I also had to put together my own team just to have a chance to play. One big thing I noticed is recruiting and other teams trying to take ( or steal lol) your players. We had a 16 man roster. 3 guys had skated before we started the team. Our best player , who was a friend before hockey, got stolen by the house team. A team who plays in D4 ( lowest division) and has a bunch of guys who work at the rink. All the guys on team should be playing at least one league higher but they refuse to move. I dunno what got the guy over to their team but I do know the dude was hurting for money and the player that left our team has hinted to other friends that they gave him a free pass so he would play for the house team.

I played competitive sports my whole life and love competing. I dont know how its fun to stay down and beat on the lesser competition. Even as an adult playing softball I got tired of winning easily and moved up divisions a few times. I just dont understand it sometimes.

nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:52 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
I played competitive sports my whole life and love competing. I dont know how its fun to stay down and beat on the lesser competition. Even as an adult playing softball I got tired of winning easily and moved up divisions a few times. I just dont understand it sometimes.
couldnt have sad it better. when i play teams with guys like that, i just let them do their thing and dont get down if we lose by a few goals. most of those guys are just really good at one or two moves, and thats all they use, knowing they are just good enough to get away with it in their present league, but probably not at the next level. oh yeah... they are usually guys that try to beat up on the younger, less skilled guys if they want to get chippy.

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:21 AM
ponder

I've never experienced much in the way of this kind of hockey politics, at any level that I've played at (beer league now, HS hockey as a kid, etc.), guess I'm just lucky? Everyone on my current beer league team is super chill, and I just don't see how it could be any other way - beer league is relaxed, fun hockey, if anyone was gettin all crazy (like the goalie fighting his own player) or into political BS (like the captain of your previous team) I'd think people would just laugh at them for being overly up tight and ridiculous?

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:38 AM
tomahawk19

The "politics" in hockey always spoils the game, in the past I have walked from teams because of it!

tomahawk19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Trojan35

If I'm understanding this correctly...
  1. You captained a team.
  2. It broke up.
  3. Half started a new team, without you as captain.
  4. The other half started a new team, without you at all.
  5. And now that other half still doesn't want you playing with them.
We can call that politics , but to me it just sounds like your prior teammates don't like you.

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Blueshockey2*

I'm in the middle of it right now..

I run a team that plays in the B league here in the STL area, we've got a solid team top to bottom, but we've got an older guy (45) who is great in the lower leagues but it absolutely killing us in this league that were playing in, we have playoffs Thursday night and I'm on the fence of not bringing him back, great guy-warrior attitude, but simply overmatched

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post
  1. You captained a team.
  2. It broke up.
We can call that politics , but to me it just sounds like your prior teammates don't like you.
No offense but I was kinda thinking the same thing that or they don't want to play your style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Openicehit6 View Post

I run a team that plays in the B league here in the STL area, we've got a solid team top to bottom, but we've got an older guy (45) who is great in the lower leagues but it absolutely killing us in this league that were playing in, we have playoffs Thursday night and I'm on the fence of not bringing him back, great guy-warrior attitude, but simply overmatched
Let the man play for god sakes he's 45 what else does he have to look forward to after work going home and watching Burn Notice and eating a Salad? My dad and step mom are 49 and thats what they do hang out with the dogs watch there shows and eat dinner.

it's rec hockey it's for fun it may not be fun watching him get burned but it's just for fun might be the only thing he gets to do during the week with the guys.

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 03:44 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Join a team that'll take you, keep your head down for a little while and let any problems people might have had with you pass, and in the meantime, just enjoy playing without any of the responsibilities of being captain.

Oh, and when joining a new team, bringing the beer for the first game you play with them would probably help a great deal in getting you accepted as part of the team rather then 'the new guy'.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Join a team that'll take you, keep your head down for a little while and let any problems people might have had with you pass, and in the meantime, just enjoy playing without any of the responsibilities of being captain.

Oh, and when joining a new team, bringing the beer for the first game you play with them would probably help a great deal in getting you accepted as part of the team rather then 'the new guy'.
always bring the beer

Old
09-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Blueshockey2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueland89 View Post
Let the man play for god sakes he's 45 what else does he have to look forward to after work going home and watching Burn Notice and eating a Salad? My dad and step mom are 49 and thats what they do hang out with the dogs watch there shows and eat dinner.

it's rec hockey it's for fun it may not be fun watching him get burned but it's just for fun might be the only thing he gets to do during the week with the guys.
I've told myself that...

But he plays on 3 other teams during the week..

Old
09-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Blueland89

Quote:
I've told myself that...

But he plays on 3 other teams during the week..
Oh well screw'em then he prolly just thinks he has to play like it's a commitment or he just doesn't realize he is getting old and you may not be able to play like he used to as frequent as he used to. gotta give the guy an A for effort

Old
09-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Just find a group of guys you like playing with that enjoy playing with you. If you can't, maybe ask yourself why that is (personality or playing level?).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Blues88

Quote:

Where are you playing?

If he isn't wearing cooperalls, kick him off the team.

Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:33 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk19 View Post
The "politics" in hockey always spoils the game, in the past I have walked from teams because of it!
Just walked away from a team I'd been with for two years to go play with a new team that just started up. After seeing some of the end of season e-mails from the manager to the team and remembering his general attitude, combined with the much better vibe of my new team I'm very glad I made the decision. Will miss my old teammates, but have met some new ones I'm enjoying playing with.

It's men's league, there's no scouts in the crowd, we're there to have fun. Play hard, but have fun.

Wish my old team well, just not against me. I think we're in the same div, so it'll be interesting to face off against my old teammates. Hahaha.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Joe Cole

I played on a team where the team captain would always dress too many forwards (he was a D). It always made for broken up lines. No flow... I asked him a few times to just pick 6 forwards per game.

I never raised my voice at him.

We played on an Olympic ice surface. In the defensive end, if he would gain control of the puck he would blindly rip it up the boards, behind thenet and to the other wing i.e. against the grain. The winger never had the time to get to the boards to catch the pass and it would be a turnover.

I told him, "you have time, lift your head and make a tape to tape pass instead of ripping it around the boards."

He obviously did not agree on either. So after about 10 games, he told me "you do not seem like you are having fun, so please do not come back." It was surreal.

That was that. I see him from time to time, and from the way he looks at me, I think he cannot exactly remember who I am.

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.... but he subsidized the team....so.....

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Briere Up There*

Just for fun I decided to be "that guy" in the summer league I play in. I'd whine to the ref constantly, sarcastically of course so the refs never seemed to mind, but there were even guys on my own team who told me to shut up. I'd celebrate goals like I'd never scored before, and in one incident got attacked by the entire other team after knocking over one of their players.

I think most of the guys on my team got a kick out of it, but I suspect a few wanted me to get the boot. It was fun, but since then I've kept my mouth shut for the most part.

Briere Up There* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Blueshockey2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues88 View Post
Where are you playing?

If he isn't wearing cooperalls, kick him off the team.

All American in Soco

I give him A for effort...Took a slapshot off the face 3 years ago, had to have reconstructive surgery, still dives in front of shots and stuff but when were playing good teams were basically playing short handed

Old
09-23-2010, 12:07 AM
WhooFleuryScores

I'd play, and then see who and where I could prove everyone wrong.Then do the theo fleury fist pump knee slide down the ice lol...

WhooFleuryScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRogerRoeper View Post
Just for fun I decided to be "that guy" in the summer league I play in. I'd whine to the ref constantly, sarcastically of course so the refs never seemed to mind, but there were even guys on my own team who told me to shut up. I'd celebrate goals like I'd never scored before, and in one incident got attacked by the entire other team after knocking over one of their players.

I think most of the guys on my team got a kick out of it, but I suspect a few wanted me to get the boot. It was fun, but since then I've kept my mouth shut for the most part.
That sounds like fun. I have to admit whenever I get around to gettin in some competitive league I will probabley be that guy on purpose that will be the one thing i can contribute defense and the A**hole effect. To me it would just be fun

Old
09-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Pierre Gotye

Appreciate everyone's input.

Captaining a team is difficult when people only want to play forward, you have a shaky defense and an unreliable goalie.

There were a couple of guys from my team I was probably a tad bit harsh on.

One guy has a decent shot but routinely over-commits when he plays defense.

I was so frustrated that even when I tried to help tell him where he needed to be he ignored what I said.

When he played D in our zone for whatever reason I never understood he liked to be on my side of the ice literally right beside or behind me to try and scoop up loose pucks. But it always left his side of the ice wide open and cost us a few times. Maybe I got on his ass a bit too hard, but he should have known better, we've seen this play a bazillion times and discussed it.

Another guy and I had a falling out, but again was being sloppy defensively and I got on him again. Same situation as the other guy but he was playing forward.

At any rate, I am at an interesting juncture. My D2 team(lower level than I like to play) wants me to come back and play full-time.

I got a call (twice) from a D league team that wants me to play. But I have faced these guys before and hadn't cared for them in the past.

(Their goalie once got into a fight with a defenseman from his team). When we beat their team he also refused to shake my goaltenders hand. I have had a hard time forgiving him for that. No matter how much I hate a guy on the ice, I will always shake his hand afterwards.

We also had a goal disallowed in a shootout because the goalie talked the ref out of the goal. Another guy in a different game who I know of, tripped me and I pulled my tricep when I fell down(it still acts up every now and then).

So I have yet to call him back, because I am not quite sure if I want to play for them or not.

My option is to join his team and play with them(maybe not get along with them, but I won't know for sure). But it would be good in a way because I can play against one of my former team-mates who blackballed me and I could show him what he missed out on. Or of course go play D2.

I might play splits with both also. I'll just have to see.

Old
09-25-2010, 08:19 AM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post
  1. You captained a team.
  2. It broke up.
I had an option to play for both or either team. I assistant captained another team. I could only give my Captain so much advice on how to do lines and such. Some of the times he would agree, other times not. Once I proved a point when I told him a couple of guys were bad pairings and we lost a game.

The other team, the guy who ran it I could have played with. But he wanted me to be a 'paid' sub. Or play full time. Kind of strange, I never charged subs, they were doing me a favor. At any rate I told him, I would prefer to pay him on a game by game basis.

He told me he would get me in at some point, but I wouldn't be priority. So I told him ok...needless to say he never called. I guess that was his way of saying he didn't want me. Ok fine, it would have just been easier had he said no from the start. Never quite figured out why some people just can't say no.

Old
09-25-2010, 10:19 AM
keslehr*

Screw your old team, join the new one and run show on 'em.

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote