HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Proposal: Marcel Hossa to Ottawa

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-18-2005, 08:52 AM
  #51
SensGod
Registered User
 
SensGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Scotia Bank Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,430
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan 32
I'd like to get Pothier for Hossa.
Yup...me too...actually...I REALLY like that trade.

SensGod is offline  
Old
04-18-2005, 11:30 AM
  #52
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan 32
I'd like to get Pothier for Hossa.


You're kidding right? Brian Pothier?

No thank you, this is what I call, "Hossa is not as good as his brother, so i'll give him up for anything"

I don't think you've seen Pothier play, but if you did, you wouldn't do that trade, nothing against Pothier, he's a servicable d-man, but there's a bunch of Pothiers scouring the waiver wires, why give up a pretty good prospect for him?

Why do you think that Sens fan said that he REALLY likes that trade?

417 is offline  
Old
04-18-2005, 12:17 PM
  #53
RLC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
No way I trade Hossa at this point.

Nothing has been proved one way or another on him.
You draft a player, you spend money and time bringing him along.
Some need more time but all need a real shot at the line-up.
He has skills and size. Until he gets his shot, no way I trade him.
No way I give up 3-4 years of development before he gets his shot.
Equal value means the player the Habs would get MUST have that 3-4 years under his belt and ready for a real try-out.
Do NOT let the fact that the Habs have a lot of good prospects influence the decission on Hossa. If he would pan out as a 20-25 goal guy with size, this would help the Habs. Maybe he wont be a 2 line scorer but he just might be a 20-25 goal 3rd liner and just how many clubs have one of those. The top 2 lines will be filled by the current core and the new top prospects. Those lines will take care of themselves. BUT what make a top contending club is often the quality of those 3rd and 4th liners. While your opposition spends it's top defenders trying to stop your 2 top lines their is often nothing left to check that 3rd line. So the quality of your third line makes the difference between making the play-offs and contending for the cup. If your 3rd liners are nearly good enough for the 2nd line then if someone gets hurt you move the top 3rd line forward to the "hurt position" that way the club keep on going just fine.

Until Hossa gets his shot we wont know for sure if the Habs have a top quality 3rd liner already.

The Habs will be in a transition period for the first 4-5 months when the NHL restarts. New faces replacing old faces. As the year progresses, everyone will see what's up with the new faces.

The league will look very different, and some clubs wont be nearly as strong as last year due to money constraints. Some player movement will happen. Let the Habs and Gainey do their thing.

RLC is offline  
Old
04-18-2005, 12:26 PM
  #54
chara
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
Marcel would make a wonderful addition to the Senators, the Binghampton Senators that is.

If he can't crack the Habs, how on earth do you expect him to make the much more talented Sens? He's an later round trade pick at best.

chara is offline  
Old
04-18-2005, 12:33 PM
  #55
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Pretty long thread for a guy who really has no trade value whatsoever.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
04-18-2005, 12:33 PM
  #56
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chara
Marcel would make a wonderful addition to the Senators, the Binghampton Senators that is.

If he can't crack the Habs, how on earth do you expect him to make the much more talented Sens? He's an later round trade pick at best.
Some players take more time to develop than others, doesn't mean he won't make it...

417 is offline  
Old
04-18-2005, 12:34 PM
  #57
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
Pretty long thread for a guy who really has no trade value whatsoever.
wouldn't be the 1st time that's happened now would it? this is a discussion board...

417 is offline  
Old
04-18-2005, 12:37 PM
  #58
RLC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chara
Marcel would make a wonderful addition to the Senators, the Binghampton Senators that is.

If he can't crack the Habs, how on earth do you expect him to make the much more talented Sens? He's an later round trade pick at best.
AHHHH I see ! another senators fan wanting something for nothing.
The Habs have not yet let any ( other then Komi) try to crack the line-up. Bringing prospects along the right way and not too early.
Let the senators run their club their way and let Gainey run the Habs his way.

RLC is offline  
Old
04-18-2005, 01:05 PM
  #59
Sens4Cup
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 986
vCash: 500
Hossa is unsigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLC
AHHHH I see ! another senators fan wanting something for nothing.
The Habs have not yet let any ( other then Komi) try to crack the line-up. Bringing prospects along the right way and not too early.
Let the senators run their club their way and let Gainey run the Habs his way.
For all those who think the Canadiens are merely bringing him along slowly, there's the added element of Hossa having no contract. As he's unlikely to sign a two-way contract and spend the next few years possibly in the AHL, I see it likely that even he isn't traded, he'd rather play in Europe. That's just my opinion of course. But it is a threat, and at this point I don't think the Canadiens are gonna give him a roster spot. From a Sens point of view, if he works he works, if he doesn't then it's not a huge gamble to give him a one way contract and see if he works, if not then buy him out or whatever, whereas the Canadiens have had alot of bad signings in the past few years.(Mike Keane at 2mil a year comes to mind) If a top prospect isn't solidifying a roster spot 5 years after being drafted, then it just might not work where they are.

Sens4Cup is offline  
Old
04-18-2005, 01:21 PM
  #60
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Cup
For all those who think the Canadiens are merely bringing him along slowly, there's the added element of Hossa having no contract. As he's unlikely to sign a two-way contract and spend the next few years possibly in the AHL, I see it likely that even he isn't traded, he'd rather play in Europe. That's just my opinion of course. But it is a threat, and at this point I don't think the Canadiens are gonna give him a roster spot. From a Sens point of view, if he works he works, if he doesn't then it's not a huge gamble to give him a one way contract and see if he works, if not then buy him out or whatever, whereas the Canadiens have had alot of bad signings in the past few years.(Mike Keane at 2mil a year comes to mind) If a top prospect isn't solidifying a roster spot 5 years after being drafted, then it just might not work where they are.
Talk about a blast from the past

BTW...Hossa was drafted in 2000, he played 1 year of Junior...then another full year in the AHL, he then spent half the year in the AHL and the other half in the NHL and had moderate success, last year he made the team out of camp and was sent down after 15 games and was never recalled...it's not the 1st time this happens with players, no one within Habs management has written him off, this was to be a big year for him, i'd rather they hold onto him and give him at least another shot....

As for his contract, they'll sign him, it's no big deal...they're not going to leave him unsigned

417 is offline  
Old
04-18-2005, 01:36 PM
  #61
Habs13
Registered User
 
Habs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: England
Posts: 5,234
vCash: 500
Marcel Hossa played very well this pastseason.. however, Montreal has a lot of prospects trying to make the team now. Still, I'd rather see Montreal try Hossa once more. But.. a 2nd round pick, in the next draft, depending on the position.. could land Daniel Ryder in Montreal! Hmmm..!Tempting..

Habs13 is offline  
Old
04-18-2005, 01:36 PM
  #62
Quiet Robert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Talk about a blast from the past

BTW...Hossa was drafted in 2000, he played 1 year of Junior...then another full year in the AHL, he then spent half the year in the AHL and the other half in the NHL and had moderate success, last year he made the team out of camp and was sent down after 15 games and was never recalled...it's not the 1st time this happens with players, no one within Habs management has written him off, this was to be a big year for him, i'd rather they hold onto him and give him at least another shot....

As for his contract, they'll sign him, it's no big deal...they're not going to leave him unsigned
Exactly, I'm pretty sure he's signed until the end of this year and then he's RFA in this summer. No big deal. All we have to do is qualify him.

Also, I think he needs to make in the NHL, as he can't be sent down without clearing waivers. No matter how low his trade value, he's an intruiging prospect and I'm pretty sure at least one team would take a shot at him if he were on waivers.

He'll get his shot at training camp and we'll see from there. As you said, I don't think they've given up on him yet. There's no real way to see what will happen to him. We just need to qualify him this summer (assuming CBA etc..) and take it from there.

To me it depends on how he looks in training camp, and even at that, if he looks average, I think they might hold on to for another season. I'd hate to let him and see him have a breakout somewhere else. We've waited long enough he either makes it as a Hab or we send him back to Europe. (Or Hamilton, if he wanted to be in NA, I'm pretty sure he could be a very good AHLer.)

Quiet Robert is offline  
Old
04-26-2005, 02:45 PM
  #63
Gus Fring
Registered User
 
Gus Fring's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,122
vCash: 500
would montreal throw in a late pick along with him for todd white
LoL??????????????

Gus Fring is online now  
Old
04-26-2005, 02:57 PM
  #64
SensGod
Registered User
 
SensGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Scotia Bank Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,430
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossa-the-future
would montreal throw in a late pick along with him for todd white
LoL??????????????
The don't need white...they already have Koivu, Bonk and Ribs...White wouldn't fit in there other than the 4th line and we all know how useful he is in that role.

SensGod is offline  
Old
04-26-2005, 03:03 PM
  #65
Gus Fring
Registered User
 
Gus Fring's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
The don't need white...they already have Koivu, Bonk and Ribs...White wouldn't fit in there other than the 4th line and we all know how useful he is in that role.
LoL
what do you think would be a good deal on both sides?
I wouldnt mind seeing him play with MARIAN.

Gus Fring is online now  
Old
04-26-2005, 03:57 PM
  #66
CGG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 416
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Cup
For all those who think the Canadiens are merely bringing him along slowly, there's the added element of Hossa having no contract. As he's unlikely to sign a two-way contract and spend the next few years possibly in the AHL, I see it likely that even he isn't traded, he'd rather play in Europe. That's just my opinion of course. But it is a threat, and at this point I don't think the Canadiens are gonna give him a roster spot. From a Sens point of view, if he works he works, if he doesn't then it's not a huge gamble to give him a one way contract and see if he works, if not then buy him out or whatever, whereas the Canadiens have had alot of bad signings in the past few years.(Mike Keane at 2mil a year comes to mind) If a top prospect isn't solidifying a roster spot 5 years after being drafted, then it just might not work where they are.
When did Montreal sign Kean for 2 mil a year? They traded him to Colorado in 1995, he hasn't been back since. That was 10 years ago. I think it's Randy McKay you're thinking of, which of course was a terrible signing. Chalk that up to the past GM who was terrible with his chequebook.

This lockout has messed things up. Hossa would have solidified a spot in the NHL if there was a season, so you can't say it's been 5 years, only 4. By the way it took Ryder (and Ribeiro) their 6th season after being drafted to prove they belong. Hossa's right on schedule.

CGG is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.