HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who/What is the biggest mystery coming into this season?

Old
09-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I've read this a good bit recently. What exactly hasn't he shown that a #1 guy needs to have? I'm not trying to break balls, I'm just curious about what keeps him from being a number one guy in other peoples minds.
When I think of #1, I think of a complete defenseman who can lead a team and be sure to consistently shutdown the opposing team's top players. Marc has shown he can mostly do this, but I just don't think he's taken the last few steps to become a truely great #1 defenseman. His offensive numbers last year were impressive, but I believe he needs to work on his skating a little bit more, as well as his passing. Think about all the post-lockout Stanley winners:

2005-2006: Hurricanes
2006-2007: Ducks
2007-2008: Red Wings
2008-2009: Penguins
2009-2010: Blackhawks

With the exception of the Hurricanes (who had a core of defenseman who were all having miraculous career seasons, see Aaron Ward, Frantisek Kaberle), all these teams had a great defenseman who could lead a team's defense and offense.

Ducks: Niedermayer, Pronger
Wings: Lidstrom
Penguins: Gonchar
Blackhawks: Keith, Seabrook

I'm not asking Staal to become generational talent like Niedermayer or Lidstrom, but he does have to take his game to somewhere of the level of Duncan Keith. He's got the shutdown defense pretty much pat down, but to be a good #1 he needs to complete his offensive game, which I think he's on the way of doing, but isn't quite there yet.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
Right now it's gotta be the Redden situation. It's the elephant in the room.
Big time. This is why I want him traded and not sent down. It's final that way, no more wondering about Redden ever again. Still very interested in a Souray/Redden swap.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 04:39 PM
darko

MZA is the biggest mystery. 90% of us dont have much of an idea of what to expect from him, it's pure guesswork.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
Should be around 15-20 games, IMO.
It should be, but I don't think it will be.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Big time. This is why I want him traded and not sent down. It's final that way, no more wondering about Redden ever again. Still very interested in a Souray/Redden swap.
I wouldn't mind that at all. Souray's two years compared to Redden's four years....

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 07:01 PM
JimmyStart*

The Rangers are missing that guaranteed elite skater next to Gab and let's be honest Gab is not a guarantee either b/c of injury p[ossibility. But if McD, MZA and Stepan all enter the pros without skipping a beat, MDZ, Artie, Dubs and Frolov improve from last year and everyone else plays the way they are suppossed to play we'll compete for a 4 seed. So for me I feel this teams best case scenario is a 4 seed. Worst case is Hank and Gabs are injured and we finish bottom 5. Prediction is a 6 or 7 seed.

So my qwuestions are the rooks and those others I mentioned.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 07:03 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
MZA is the biggest mystery. 90% of us dont have much of an idea of what to expect from him, it's pure guesswork.
If I had to predict I'd say 32-37 points. 10 goals 17 assissts. Depends on his linemates and whether he actually makes it outta training camp too of course.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 07:11 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
If I had to predict I'd say 32-37 points. 10 goals 17 assissts. Depends on his linemates and whether he actually makes it outta training camp too of course.
So, 10 goals and 17 assists for 32-37 points...he truly is the Norwegian Hobbit Wizard if he can reshape the groundwork of mathematics haha.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote