HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

OMG these women's Tackla pants are HUGE lol!

Old
09-20-2010, 09:37 PM
beth

vCash: 500
OMG these women's Tackla pants are HUGE lol!

I'm trying to buy my first pair of pants. I tried some Bauer women's pants on at the store (the only brand they had in women's) and it looks like I'm a medium. Then I noticed that I could get women's Tacklas for about the same price online, and I'd read such good things about them. But it's hard to find any information on sizing. Apparently the women's size 48 is considered "medium", but it was SO NOT anything like the Bauer medium. lol! The tag says 31" waist, I am a 30" waist, and when I actually measured the inside of the waist of the pants themselves with them cinched as tight as they could go, the tape measure was at least 35". So they are going back to the store, and I'll just go with the Bauers that I know fit.

I just thought I'd post this in case anyone was looking for info about the Women's Tacklas, since there isn't much to be found!

Oh, also, they measured about 22" from the top of the pant to the bottom of the leg.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 3498
Good luck with hockey Beth. And I was billeted out to a family in Bellevue once and played hockey there.

Chairman Maouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:43 AM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Good luck with hockey Beth. And I was billeted out to a family in Bellevue once and played hockey there.
Thank you, CM! My son recently started playing and I've gotten hooked on it myself. I'm just working on skating at the moment, but I hope to join the local women's rec league at the end of the year.

I was wondering if they did the billeting thing out here. I might have to look into hosting a player someday, that would be neat.

Old
09-21-2010, 01:50 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 3498
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
Thank you, CM! My son recently started playing and I've gotten hooked on it myself. I'm just working on skating at the moment, but I hope to join the local women's rec league at the end of the year.

I was wondering if they did the billeting thing out here. I might have to look into hosting a player someday, that would be neat.
It was a long time ago and it was just for a weekend. We were a bantam rep team who I guess were invited to Bellevue for the weekend and to play a team there. Oddly enough, I did the exact same thing with a soccer team -- billeted with a family in Bellevue. I think there may be some sort of sister community thing between Bellevue and Coquitlam - a suburb of Vancouver.

Chairman Maouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Ozolinsh_27

Quote:
Good luck with starting up, I have crazy respect for adult beginners. You'll have a great time, even though pond hockey is fun its so much more fulfilling when its full equipment

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:23 PM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozolinsh_27 View Post
Good luck with starting up, I have crazy respect for adult beginners. You'll have a great time, even though pond hockey is fun its so much more fulfilling when its full equipment
Thanks! Though I think at this point my motivation to get equipment is mostly to protect me from myself.

Old
09-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Ozolinsh_27

Once you get suited up, practice falling for a little while and getting back up. It makes it so much more comfortable and you get over the fear of falling.

Old
09-22-2010, 06:59 PM
beth

Yeah, I really need to do that - I am horrible about falling. Well, what I mean is I'm an expert at falling, just not properly. I keep sticking my hands out by instinct even though I know not to.

I've just been going to public skates lately - I'm home all day so I can go to the cheap daytime skate, 5 bucks and I stay for at least 2 hours usually, twice a week. It's a great workout, and I swear my ass looks better than it has in over 10 years. I wear elbows, my daughter's pink knee pads, wrist guards and my bike helmet. I feel like such a dweeb but it keeps me from being bruised constantly. It's been about 2 months, and I've just about got the hang of backwards crossovers and can almost skate as fast backwards as forwards. Hopefully I will get my last couple pieces of gear soon and get to start practicing with a stick. Once this dang pants situation is taken care of, that is!

Old
09-23-2010, 10:57 AM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
It was a long time ago and it was just for a weekend. We were a bantam rep team who I guess were invited to Bellevue for the weekend and to play a team there. Oddly enough, I did the exact same thing with a soccer team -- billeted with a family in Bellevue. I think there may be some sort of sister community thing between Bellevue and Coquitlam - a suburb of Vancouver.
Quote:
Yeah, I really need to do that - I am horrible about falling. Well, what I mean is I'm an expert at falling, just not properly. I keep sticking my hands out by instinct even though I know not to.

I've just been going to public skates lately - I'm home all day so I can go to the cheap daytime skate, 5 bucks and I stay for at least 2 hours usually, twice a week. It's a great workout, and I swear my ass looks better than it has in over 10 years. I wear elbows, my daughter's pink knee pads, wrist guards and my bike helmet. I feel like such a dweeb but it keeps me from being bruised constantly. It's been about 2 months, and I've just about got the hang of backwards crossovers and can almost skate as fast backwards as forwards. Hopefully I will get my last couple pieces of gear soon and get to start practicing with a stick. Once this dang pants situation is taken care of, that is!

You need to get your daughter into it too. I have two daughter, 13 & 9 that both play. I had a blast this summer as my team was seriously short on players and they let my older daughter play. She had a Gordie Howe (light) hat tirck - a goal on the first shift of the game, a sweet assist and a penalty. This is the time I've been waiting for, when she can actually play with me. It would be even more fun for you if your daughter plays and the two of you play together on a women's team some years down the road. Either way, keep it up and enjoy yourself. Your never too old to start - I did at 33.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:23 AM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
You need to get your daughter into it too. I have two daughter, 13 & 9 that both play. I had a blast this summer as my team was seriously short on players and they let my older daughter play. She had a Gordie Howe (light) hat tirck - a goal on the first shift of the game, a sweet assist and a penalty. This is the time I've been waiting for, when she can actually play with me. It would be even more fun for you if your daughter plays and the two of you play together on a women's team some years down the road. Either way, keep it up and enjoy yourself. Your never too old to start - I did at 33.
I wish I could get her to play, but she will have none of it. My son is the hockey player, and my daughter plays piano and recently she started playing Ultimate frisbee with her dad, and she is really good at both of those things. She really would like to be good at skating (because it bothers her that her little brother is better at something), but she is so timid on the ice, and refuses to wear any padding (though I do make her wear a helmet). She just doesn't have the nerve to push herself enough to progress. If she didn't have the other stuff going on, I'd put her in some lessons, but I really don't think skating is her thing. It just makes her all pissed off and frustrated. I'll have to wait until she wants it.

Old
09-24-2010, 02:02 PM
shoeshine boy

don't be sucked into thinking that you need women's specific equipment. you can wear anything the guys can wear with the exception of the jock. some women have a little trouble with shoulder pads but a skate lace tied down to the pant belt takes care of that problem.
welcome to the game!

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 03:39 PM
beth

Oh, I know that I don't necessarily have to get women's things, but I am kind of on the small side so I have to take that into consideration too. (5'5", 118lbs) I've almost got everything, just waiting on the pants to be exchanged and for a helmet that the shop had to special order (they were out of black). I did end up with the Bauer women's shoulders in medium and I think they fit pretty well - I can move my arms all around and they don't go anywhere. Not too expensive, either. I kind of feel like if I choose to buy women-specific things, then I'm sort of supporting women's hockey in a way, you know?

Old
09-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Ozolinsh_27

Quote:

Sounds like you've got quite a bit of practice so far. The thing about practicing falling isn't so much how you fall, its getting up quick that is tougher with the full equipment - especially when you're not used to it. There is a drill my coach used to do, everyone would line up at goal line, skate fast as you can then dive stomach first onto the ice and get up as fast you can while you're sliding on the ice, and try to do that 3-4 times or more before you reach the other goal line.

If you're feeling brave, try that at the ice time you're at - I'm just guessing you are because of the pink knee pads you mentioned.

Old
09-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
don't be sucked into thinking that you need women's specific equipment. you can wear anything the guys can wear with the exception of the jock. some women have a little trouble with shoulder pads but a skate lace tied down to the pant belt takes care of that problem.
welcome to the game!
Yeah, not true re: shoulder pads. I have to have women's shoulder pads to be comfortable. None of the guy's shoulder pads felt comfortable, even if I were to tie them down. I think I have the I-Tech ones, and they weren't all that expensive, I think $60 or so, and I adore them.

Never tried women's pants, but I found a pair of men's pants that has a double belt in the waist. That helps the fit a ton, or at least they feel like they fit better than my old pants did.

Otherwise, it's junior shinpads (short legs) and gloves, men's elbowpads and skates (I've seen a women's skate advertised, but only one specialty brand) and, well, a helmet. I wish I could fit junior skates like some of the women I play with. So much less expensive.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:58 PM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozolinsh_27 View Post
There is a drill my coach used to do, everyone would line up at goal line, skate fast as you can then dive stomach first onto the ice and get up as fast you can while you're sliding on the ice, and try to do that 3-4 times or more before you reach the other goal line.
When I first tried hockey with the local women's league (they had a "Try Hockey Free Day") they had us do this. After two laps of falling and getting up, I couldn't believe how tired I was! You're right, it is tough!!

Kritter, I tried going junior in the shin pads at first, but I definitely needed the extra inch of the 14" senior ones. I was worried the senior ones would be too wide, but they actually fit pretty nicely. I got the CCM Fit 05 ones, which were fairly cheap, but have a good amount of padding compared to the model below it. I also got the matching CCM elbows in size senior small and they have already saved me a few bruises at the public skate.

Thanks everybody so much for all the advice and encouragement!

Old
09-25-2010, 01:37 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
I wear 13" shinpads (and 12" gloves), but a.) I'm only 5-4 and b.) my legs are shorter than my mom's, and she's 5-2. I have abandoned any hope of ever going over the boards on the fly.

If you can wear the 5.5 or smaller skates, I'd recommend it if only because they're usually $100 or more cheaper. I'm stuck at a 6. Boo.

You're lucky you have an all-women's league in your area, though I don't mind playing with guys. I do mind not really knowing any of my teammates' names for at least half the season since we don't see them in the locker room or anything. I know them as "blue socks" or "yellow stick" or "tall dude."

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 12:36 PM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
If you can wear the 5.5 or smaller skates, I'd recommend it if only because they're usually $100 or more cheaper. I'm stuck at a 6. Boo.
Yep! I wear 7.5 in women's shoes, and size 4 in Junior skates. I definitely appreciate the price difference!

Old
09-27-2010, 11:38 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:

You're lucky you have an all-women's league in your area, though I don't mind playing with guys. I do mind not really knowing any of my teammates' names for at least half the season since we don't see them in the locker room or anything. I know them as "blue socks" or "yellow stick" or "tall dude."
imo, you're missing out on all the good stuff by not dressing with your teammates. for kids I can understand why you might need to separate them but for anybody over the age of 20 you should be mature enough at that age to deal with it. I've known girls that didn't like it and guys that didn't like it and that's totally their right. the guys on all of my teams (yes, despite the username I am female) are totally cool with it. they know I'm not "looking" at them and I really don't care if they're looking at me though I will admit that I don't get even close to nekkid.
and no, I don't go into the showers but that has more to do with the grossness of the shower stalls than anything else. I do know a few women who do.

Old
09-27-2010, 05:46 PM
flyersguy33*

Talk to Ti-Girl see will help you with any hockey questions you have. She is supposed to be pretty good at hockey and always shares her stories. Ask her maybe she can give you some good advice.....

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 06:18 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Yeah, I hate that feeling, especially because they all usually remember my name since I'm normally the only woman. It's also awkward when you don't recognize them when they're not wearing their hockey gear and helmets, since you don't see them in the locker room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
imo, you're missing out on all the good stuff by not dressing with your teammates. for kids I can understand why you might need to separate them but for anybody over the age of 20 you should be mature enough at that age to deal with it. I've known girls that didn't like it and guys that didn't like it and that's totally their right. the guys on all of my teams (yes, despite the username I am female) are totally cool with it. they know I'm not "looking" at them and I really don't care if they're looking at me though I will admit that I don't get even close to nekkid.
and no, I don't go into the showers but that has more to do with the grossness of the shower stalls than anything else. I do know a few women who do.
I sometimes change with the guys - it depends on the situation. With the mens team I've played with for a few seasons now I change with them, since I know them and they expect it now. For open hockey, or if I was starting with a new team I didn't know I probably wouldn't go change in their locker room, just because it could be really awkward if they're not expecting that.

I agree it's much better if you can change with your teammates - half the fun of hockey is hanging out in the locker room afterwards.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 06:29 PM
beth

The whole locker room thing is part of my anxiety for getting into hockey. Not that I have any issues with modesty - after giving birth in front of my in-laws buck naked (twice!), I have none left. But I don't want to step on any toes either. I'll be all like, "where do I go? What is the etiquette?" It won't be an issue on the women's league, but what if I go try the beginner pickup game? I suppose I'll just see what the norm is.

Old
09-27-2010, 09:13 PM
frito

Quote:
The whole locker room thing is part of my anxiety for getting into hockey. Not that I have any issues with modesty - after giving birth in front of my in-laws buck naked (twice!), I have none left. But I don't want to step on any toes either. I'll be all like, "where do I go? What is the etiquette?" It won't be an issue on the women's league, but what if I go try the beginner pickup game? I suppose I'll just see what the norm is.
I'm a guy and have females on a few of my teams. On one team the females changed in the locker room with the guys. They don't hesitate to change everything. I would usually just face the wall while changing my shorts or cover with a towell when I headed for the showers. No big deal. My current team has a couple females and they change in the ladies locker room. Again, no big deal. I do admit I knew the ladies on my first team better just by engaging in locker room conversations. I didn't even see the woman on my current team without her helmet on until we posed for the team photo after winning the championship this summer. They are also missing out on the post game beer by changing in the women's locker room.

Either way, just do what you and your team are comfortable with. As mentioned above, we're all adults.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 09:26 PM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
They are also missing out on the post game beer by changing in the women's locker room.
Yes, this is very important point - it's one of the draws of hockey for me!

Old
09-28-2010, 10:22 AM
shoeshine boy

not an issue where I play. no beer is allowed in the rink. all beer is consumed in the parking lot. some teams go all out with grills, tents and picnic tables.

Old
09-30-2010, 02:11 PM
beth

Still do not have my pants, but I have everything else, AND I just discovered the motherlode of stick-and-puck sessions was right under my nose the whole time. See, I've been doing public skates during the day, and I wanted to start doing the stick-and-pucks (held on the smaller second rink), but those sessions were not at a time that I could do them. Well, it turns out that even though an earlier stick and puck time is not listed on the schedule, doesn't mean that you can't use the rink then - as long as there is not a group using the rink, you can do stick and puck all freakin' day if you want to. Also, there is NO ONE else there at that time. I can have the rink to myself for HOURS for 12 bucks. It helps to chat up the rink owner!

Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to do there! I need a buddy!