Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Chilliwack Gets a WHL Franchise

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2005, 11:50 AM
heybate

vCash: 500
Chilliwack Gets a WHL Franchise

Well, it looks like Chilliwack is getting their WHL franchise afterall. You only have to wait an extra year. I assume this also means the WHL Board of Governors voted down additional franchises to Edmonton or Winnipeg or Victoria or (insert your city here).

PS. Longtime lurker, first time poster.

Old
04-22-2005, 01:58 PM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Too expand on it.. the Tri-City Americans were sold by Burkes group to a group headed by Kolzig and Barnes, so the Ams will remain.. Burkes group is the one that put together a bid to get Chilliwack a WHL team to play in Prospera place which will be expanded to 5000 seats.

Old
04-22-2005, 02:20 PM
Bytown

There was no applaction put in by edmonton or winnipeg.

Old
04-22-2005, 05:08 PM
heybate

There was no application put in by Edmonton? Patrick LaForge (Oilers President) has been very vocal of late over the Oilers' lack of success in landing a WHL franchise and continues to have a $5 million offer on the table for any existing franchises who want to sell. To further that, Ron Robinson was on a local (Edmonton area) talk show on Tuesday night and he said that his top priority was getting a franchise into Edmonton, be it through relocation or expansion. I don't think the Edmonton group "forgot" to put in an application.

Where did you get your information?

Old
04-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Bytown

The have not apllied as of yet they would perfer to buy a team thats all set.Besides they still have 60 days so there is no real hurry to go after a expanson team when there offer is on the table.They aslo have to figure out what to dow ith the ahl team fold it or move it.

Old
04-22-2005, 08:37 PM
Rooselk

Send a message via Yahoo to Rooselk
I'm glad it worked out for all involved: Chiliwack gets a team and the Ams get local ownership. Sounds like a win-win deal. For me, it means there are now four WHL franchises within an hours drive (once Chiliwack gets their team). This should be fun!

Old
04-22-2005, 11:25 PM
Canadian Chris

vCash: 748
Win-Win-Win actually as Kootenay will likely get their wish and move back to the Central, so I doubt they complain.

I am also glad the 'wack gets a team, but feel sorry for the Chiefs as they'll likely have to move one would think...

Old
04-26-2005, 09:41 AM
CurtisJD13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chris
Win-Win-Win actually as Kootenay will likely get their wish and move back to the Central, so I doubt they complain.

I am also glad the 'wack gets a team, but feel sorry for the Chiefs as they'll likely have to move one would think...

Chiefs aren't going anywhere. The reason they voted TC's move down was because they'd lose a rivalry, travel times would double, and they'd have to play Kootenay alot more, which neither team wanted. I think the rest of the league felt pretty much the same thing, since Spokane's crowds regularly pack the 10,000 seat Spokane arena, and they bring great revenue to the league.

I don't think anybody ends up moving in this deal, I think if anything we get another expansion team maybe 2-3 years down the road to make it an even number of teams...

Old
04-26-2005, 05:10 PM
Emerald City Bruin
I-90 W for 2500mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisJD13
Chiefs aren't going anywhere. The reason they voted TC's move down was because they'd lose a rivalry, travel times would double, and they'd have to play Kootenay alot more, which neither team wanted. I think the rest of the league felt pretty much the same thing, since Spokane's crowds regularly pack the 10,000 seat Spokane arena, and they bring great revenue to the league.

I don't think anybody ends up moving in this deal, I think if anything we get another expansion team maybe 2-3 years down the road to make it an even number of teams...
Someone always makes this mistake, someone corrects them (as I am about to do) and someone else will make it. More often than not, when talking about Chilliwack and the Chiefs, it can be assumed the person is talking about the BCHL Chiefs in Chilliwack that will be displaced from Prospera Centre and not the WHL Chiefs of Spokane.

Old
04-26-2005, 06:02 PM
Canadian Chris

vCash: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird107
Someone always makes this mistake, someone corrects them (as I am about to do) and someone else will make it. More often than not, when talking about Chilliwack and the Chiefs, it can be assumed the person is talking about the BCHL Chiefs in Chilliwack that will be displaced from Prospera Centre and not the WHL Chiefs of Spokane.
this is what I meant...I suppose I should've clarified, but alas....anyways, apparently the Bruins, as that will be the name of the new Chilliwack franchise are already opperating out of the Chiefs offices, at least this is what I've read at a couple various places, and by the sounds of it, the Chiefs franchise(chilliwack) are leaning strongly towards Abbotsford

Closed Thread