Notices

Toronto media bashes Stajan signing

Old
09-21-2010, 06:43 PM
GoFlames

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOPula View Post
What I hate the most about this article, is how the guy is saying that at 3.5, Stajan needs to get a point per game or us Flames fans will kill him.

Now the weird thing is ever since Stajan has been in Calgary, we have stated that if he can put 50-60pts we will be content.

Also....since when is 3.5million an albotross contract????
It is not, esp for a solid 2nd liner centre... nowhere even close to as big an albatross as the Figer contract

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 07:17 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
oh man, dont even want to rip inot this guy , he probably gets it enough. But i will say this, by his assumptions, does that mean Colby Armstrong is expected to put up 60+ points or else his contract will be a huge overpayment (IMO it already is an overpayment)

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 07:19 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

vCash: 50
Breaking news from the Toronto/Ottawa GDTs... Phaneuf can't hit the net with his slapper!

Also, after one period of play the Leafs fans have assigned Kadri to the AHL. If I new nothing about him I'd assume he was their star player based on all the media coverage he got during the summer. Jeez.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 07:21 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck91 View Post
Breaking news from the Toronto/Ottawa GDTs... Phaneuf can't hit the net with his slapper!

Also, after one period of play the Leafs fans have assigned Kadri to the AHL. If I new nothing about him I'd assume he was their star player based on all the media coverage he got during the summer. Jeez.
ahh, the real phanuef is starting to show

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 07:37 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck91 View Post

That sounds like par for the course for the city on the stinky lake

Old
09-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Body Checker

Here's some comparisons to chew on:

Tim Connolly - 4.5 M
David Legwand - 4.5 M
Mike Fisher - 4.2 M
RJ Umberger - 3.75 M
Antoine Vermette - 3.75 M
Matt Cullen - 3.5 M
Matt Stajan - 3.5 M

I'd say Stajan is fair value and in today's NHL a 4 year deal is quite a short contract.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:42 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
I'd say Stajan is fair value and in today's NHL a 4 year deal is quite a short contract.
Especially when those 4 years are on the prime of his career.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 12:52 AM
GoFlames

I think it is amazing people think Stajan's deal is bad... a 4 year deal for 3.5. An underpayment by about 500-750K likely.

Old
09-22-2010, 02:37 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
I think the article is ridiculous in that he seems to be way off base with ideas on what 3.5 million is worth in this market - certainly not 80 points that's for damn sure.

But it's worth pointing out that when Stajan was scoring ~60 points for the Leafs, it was QUITE OFTEN fans of other teams, many times Canadian teams and yes, many times the Flames telling us Leaf fans -- "Matt Stajan!? He sucks!! Who cares he got 60 points, someone has to score." And this when he was making half of what he's being paid now.

I wish him all the best there. He was a great guy and never complained once about some of the slack he got here but I hope Flames fans recognize that many of them had previously underrated him.
I am pleased to say I was never one to **** on Stajan before he became a Flame, he is one of those guys I have wanted in the Flaming C for a couple years now... he was my #1 choice mid-season last year for a deadline acquisition for what I feel this team needs... I was happy he was part of the Phaneuf deal and am still very happy he is a Flame... if the following happens I would even say the Phaneuf trade would have me completely thrilled... Stajan with 15g/55pt, Hagman with 25g/40pt and White with 10g/25pt... if we can get 50g and 120pts out of the return for Phaneuf without creating a hole on our blueline then IMO that trade is all win for us

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote