HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Phillies 2010 - The Rise of Señor Octubre

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I said it then, I think part of it is just that they were bored, when they weren't hurt. It sounds pretty stupid, but when you see the way the team has flipped the switch it makes you wonder.

42-15 since July 21 when they were 7 games behind the Braves.
Well, I'm not so sure it's so much a "switch" thin this year as in years past. They were winning games with both Castro and Valdez in their starting infield earlier in the year... this team has had serious injury problems, and, outside of Rollins, finally started to get everyone back through July and August. Then you throw in the Oswalt trade, which really helped the starting pitching out given how good he's been... and Hamels steady improvement through the first half of the year, and you have a recipe for a lot of wins when it all starts to click.

That being said, they've clearly proven to have a lot of guys on this roster who are "second half" players. Which can be frustrating when they struggle a bit in the beginning of the year, but assuming you're in position to win something at the end, it can pay big dividends.

Old
09-21-2010, 09:53 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinerary View Post

Yeah the guy's an idiot, but I don't care, that's ****in hilarious.

What a moron.

Is this just an easy field to get access on? This is the third time it has happened. I may have happened even more in previous seasons.

Old
09-21-2010, 10:16 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post

What a moron.

Is this just an easy field to get access on? This is the third time it has happened. I may have happened even more in previous seasons.
In between inning the security staff is on the sidelines (not that it would be that hard to break through), but this was in the middle of an inning, and the fellow jumped down from pretty high up the rising wall down the left field foul line. I've been to two of the three incidents (this and the taser), and was very worried it would happen every day after the first one happened. The fans in the ballpark seem to encourage them and boo the guards when they finally subdue the idiot. We get the a-hole chant going when there's a Braves fan, but cheer idiots ruining the flow of the game.

Speaking of responding to Braves fans, there was one who endured a resounding mock of the Tomahawk Chop on the way out. I love when some fans get creative. Sorta reminded me of the mock Ole. Then of course these fans couldn't think of anything else and reverted to chanting a-hole again.

Old
09-21-2010, 10:17 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:

What a moron.

There's a staircase that goes down into the lower level out in foul territory in left field with no more than the normal 3 ft. high fence blocking access to the field. Because it's a couple feet elevated - requiring a small jump - they don't seem to put a security guy there.

Old
09-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
If we didn't live in a world where some crazy ******* might try to shank a player, I'd be all for these types of shenanigans. I mean, who wouldn't want to see a Green Man run around like a nitwit in the 7th inning of a 10-3 loss in May?

Old
09-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, I'm not so sure it's so much a "switch" thin this year as in years past. They were winning games with both Castro and Valdez in their starting infield earlier in the year... this team has had serious injury problems, and, outside of Rollins, finally started to get everyone back through July and August. Then you throw in the Oswalt trade, which really helped the starting pitching out given how good he's been... and Hamels steady improvement through the first half of the year, and you have a recipe for a lot of wins when it all starts to click.

That being said, they've clearly proven to have a lot of guys on this roster who are "second half" players. Which can be frustrating when they struggle a bit in the beginning of the year, but assuming you're in position to win something at the end, it can pay big dividends.
Statistically Hamels is the best pitcher in the game since the ASB. Having the best rotation ever is a pretty big deal. He had to master a couple of new pitches which took awhile. We all thought that he was a bit of a head case and, it turns out, he was just struggling to master the changes that were made to his game.

But, anyway, you get 3 amazing pitchers, get a little bit healthy, and things start to click.

Old
09-21-2010, 12:56 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Roytown USA will hopefully become Titletown USA.

Old
09-21-2010, 02:05 PM
SUBdrewgANS
born into trouble

Send a message via AIM to SUBdrewgANS
Quote:

What a moron.

I was there for this.. so funny.

Old
09-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchrisx159 View Post
All I wanna say is that when we were down and people were telling me it's just not gonna happen this year and I told them look watch in September we get things done in the clutch. To all of you I say told you so *****es. (Not directed at anybody on the boards)
I thought it was going to be a down year. Most great teams have them somewhere in their run. I thought the injuries would be too much. I was just honestly disappointed because I thought the injures were going to be the reason they didn't have a great year, and not their actual play on the field. Its always worse when injuries ruin a season rather than poor play because you always think of what could have been.

Old
09-21-2010, 04:24 PM
kicksave27

The tomahawk chop chant is the most annoying sound in the world, I was hoping they would outlaw it a few years ago when everything was so PC. Not only do I have to put up with it in baseball, Florida state uses it in college football. I ok with the ole ole chant, it shows the odd juxtaposition that is montreal, and that they are nutty. It's hockey not soccer silly people.

Old
09-21-2010, 04:31 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Yeah, it's borderline amazing how well that cutter has worked for Hamels.

I haven't had time to watch a ton of games this summer, but I was kind of assuming he had cut down on the velocity and was locating better. But actually, his velocity is still the same, but what's interesting is that I think he only throws his change half as much as he did in previous years, so hitters can't sit on it anymore.

I'm not a huge fan of the guy, but credit to him for figuring out a way to right the ship this past winter.

Old
09-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Jayson Werth with the three run jack putting the Phils up 3-0.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
09-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Cinerary
The Inexorable

Raauuuuuuullllllll

5-2 Phils

Edit: Game over! 20 wins for Doc!

Last edited by Cinerary: 09-21-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old
09-21-2010, 09:22 PM
flyguy
PetSoundsAvatar

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
If we win tomorrow, we just need to win 4 out of 6 against the Mets at home and Washington on the road and the division is ours. If they can get to the Braves series with no chance of losing the division, it would be huge. Only downfall is that 3 of the 6 games are going to be Kendrick/Blanton efforts.

Old
09-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
If we win tomorrow, we just need to win 4 out of 6 against the Mets at home and Washington on the road and the division is ours. If they can get to the Braves series with no chance of losing the division, it would be huge. Only downfall is that 3 of the 6 games are going to be Kendrick/Blanton efforts.
I don't have any doubts at this point.

Congrats, Royforce One. You deserve it big guy...hopefully there's a couple things even better on the way.

Old
09-21-2010, 09:53 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

I love 20 win Roys.

Old
09-21-2010, 10:58 PM
healthyscratch

Congrats on 20, Roy!!! This is awesome. We are watching some of the greatest pitching, and teams, this organazation has ever seen.

Check out the standings from July 21.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/date/20100721

Pretty mind blowing run that they are on, considering we were missing Utley and Howard for a large portion of that run.

Old
09-21-2010, 11:05 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
20 wins for Roy
Magic Number 6
9 wins in a row.

This team is awesome.

Old
09-22-2010, 08:33 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
The guy in the red spandex was released today...still wearing the red spandex. So his parents had to take the hit.

Old
09-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The guy in the red spandex was released today...still wearing the red spandex. So his parents had to take the hit.
They actually showed his parents going to pick him up from jail on the 5 o'clock news last night. Funniest thing about still having the spandex on, is the fact that he never took the mask off.

Old
09-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Valhoun*

Those poor ******** have to face Oswalt tonight, right?

Old
09-22-2010, 10:20 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Those poor ******** have to face Oswalt tonight, right?
Not really fair is it?

Old
09-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Thanks guys for treating my Roy right I guess he's your Roy now, but he'll always be my Roy too.

Go Phils!

Old
09-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Blue Jay fan here. Great to see Roy doing so well, as if there was ever any doubt. Good luck and hopefully there's a World Series Championship in his near future. Go Phillies!

Old
09-22-2010, 03:35 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Actually a tad worried about Doc, hope we can salt this thing away early because I'd really like to see him get some rest.

Closed Thread