HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kabanov already getting in trouble

Old
09-15-2010, 09:39 AM
scott99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
There's no question that Kabanov is a rehabilitation project. If he gets his character in order, and somebody screws his head on right, he can be real good. If he never gets on track, then he'll never play in the NHL and likely goes to play KHL, Swiss League, or wherever he'd like.

He was a 3rd round pick. Other 3rd round picks in Isles history include Jason Clark, Anders Nilsson, David Toews, Jyri Niemi, Kirill Petrov, Jason Gregoire, Robin Figren, Shea Guthrie, Sergei Ogorodnikov, Frans Nielsen, Mattias Weinhandl, Brian Collins, Jarret Smith, Mike Schnabel, etc. Of all those players only 1 is an NHL player (dating back to 1997). There's a few nice prospects like Nilsson, and Gregoire. But the other guys never made it, are out of the league, or are fringe prospects.

This love/hate for Kabanov is far overblown, especially considering he was a 3rd rounder.

It's funny you bring up Hollywood. Most guys you hear about in that business burn out once they start with drugs, crime, scandal, etc. However, once in a while you get a Robert Downey Jr., a guy that's been to rehab/jail/hell, who rehabilitate themselves to become amazing at what they do. Meanwhile there's a bunch of nice guy actors who have impeccable records and work ethic that do not get to shine outside of their High School play.

Same applies here. Does Kabanov have the highest potential of anyone drafted in the 3rd round? By a mile. Does he have bust potential? Sure, but so do the other 29 players taken in that round. And because they all have less talent than him, it can be strongly argued that he has less bust potential than any of them due to his superior talent.

I've seen many people mature over the years. Some far worse than this kid is perceived to be. This kid is not a criminal. He isn't a drug abuser. He does not seem malicious in any way. He is an immature 18 year old with immense talent. Now it's up to the Isles staff to harness his ego, and help him mature into a valuable top 6 forward at the NHL level. After all I'd much rather take a flier on the next Robert Downey Jr., rather than a dime a dozen character actor, or worse, an extra, which most 3rd rounders become anyhow.
Very well put.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Brunomics

Personally with Kabanov I think everything is getting overblown, at this point in his life he is just a stupid kid with a ridiculous father which caused his draft stock to drop. That's all it is because after all he's just a kid. C'mon no one hear had that stupid friend growing up that would just do ridiculous things and eventually he grew out of it? That's Kabanov.

In the end he'll turn out fine and be a steal for the Isles. Thank god for ridiculous fear among the other 29 clubs which allowed him to drop to the third round.

He's a punk kid not a locker room cancer, and he'll grow out of it.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 10:00 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
There's no question that Kabanov is a rehabilitation project.
very good post. I don't disagree with any of it.

I think both extreme positions are wrong and the truth is the in most grey and most unknown area.

Is it maturity or character?
Is he a disruption to the team with his antics, personality?
Will he "get it" as he gets older or not?

I don't think it's fair to conclude he's a lost cause and give up on him. Most teams decided this on draft day when he was untouched through two rounds despite his talent.

I also don't think it's right to brush-off the being late and be an apologist for the guy - that's dishonest too.

We see the same extreme opinions with Schremp. You have some who only see potential and others who only see flaws - in reality, it's BOTH. Where it goes? Who knows!

It's OKAY that there are unknowns and doubts and the dialog is healthy, for sure.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 10:10 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
very good post. I don't disagree with any of it.

I think both extreme positions are wrong and the truth is the in most grey and most unknown area.

Is it maturity or character?
Is he a disruption to the team with his antics, personality?
Will he "get it" as he gets older or not?

I don't think it's fair to conclude he's a lost cause and give up on him. Most teams decided this on draft day when he was untouched through two rounds despite his talent.

I also don't think it's right to brush-off the being late and be an apologist for the guy - that's dishonest too.

We see the same extreme opinions with Schremp. You have some who only see potential and others who only see flaws - in reality, it's BOTH. Where it goes? Who knows!

It's OKAY that there are unknowns and doubts and the dialog is healthy, for sure.
Maybe Kabanov can learn from Schremp hell put them on a line together. Schremp feathering passes to Kabanov all season ZOMG!!!!! Schremp will put up 70 points and Kabanov rookie of the year!!!!!!! Get it done Snow and Gordo!!!!

By the way if that happened I can see HF Boards literally exploding.

Old
09-15-2010, 12:36 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Personally with Kabanov I think everything is getting overblown, at this point in his life he is just a stupid kid with a ridiculous father which caused his draft stock to drop. That's all it is because after all he's just a kid. C'mon no one hear had that stupid friend growing up that would just do ridiculous things and eventually he grew out of it? That's Kabanov.

In the end he'll turn out fine and be a steal for the Isles. Thank god for ridiculous fear among the other 29 clubs which allowed him to drop to the third round.

He's a punk kid not a locker room cancer, and he'll grow out of it.
You didn't hear what happened today huh?

Well, apparently Kirill sneezed...and didn't cover his mouth properly...and hold onto your hats here...but some spittle ended up on Rhett Rakhshani's elbow! The nerve of Kirill...what a punk kid, jeez. They oughta just dump him now and send him packing.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
You didn't hear what happened today huh?

Well, apparently Kirill sneezed...and didn't cover his mouth properly...and hold onto your hats here...but some spittle ended up on Rhett Rakhshani's elbow! The nerve of Kirill...what a punk kid, jeez. They oughta just dump him now and send him packing.
OMG the shock and horror of it all, that doesn't compare to what he did after practice, I heard he left a ball of tape on the locker room floor! He's totally just a mentalcase! No one can control him!

Old
09-15-2010, 02:24 PM
scott99

I heard they pulled a Herb Brooks on him yesterday. Made him do sprints after practice, they say his face was almost purple and he was almost dry heaving when it was finished. I guess that was his punishment. I bet he'll never be late again.

Old
09-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I heard they pulled a Herb Brooks on him yesterday. Made him do sprints after practice, they say his face was almost purple and he was almost dry heaving when it was finished. I guess that was his punishment. I bet he'll never be late again.
hey scott where did you hear that?

Old
09-15-2010, 03:33 PM
the sweetener

strang had something about him doing sprints after practice and when it was over him laying on the ice trying to catch his breathe

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Isles Shawn

Kabanov update

Kirill Kabanov missed the first day of Rookie Camp due to disciplinary reasons and over the last few days, he has worked hard skating after the rest of the rookies leave the ice to make up for his actions.

It was 100 percent my fault, Kabanov said about sleeping through his alarm and arriving late at the rookie medicals on Monday morning. I recognize that now and Ill try not to do it again in the future. So sometimes things happen, but you should pay the price for it so thats why I paid for that.

Most of all, hes excited to get his chance to skate in the rookie game in Boston.

Yeah Im really excited about that. Im really happy the Islanders gave me the chance so Ill try to do my best for the game tonight.

-Dyan LeBourdais

Source:
http://islanders.nhl.com/club/page.h...id=DL|NYI|home

Isles Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 10:07 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
Of all the players who dropped in the drafts over the past 7 years--I think both Schremp and KK--could still be top liners in the NHL. Looks like Schremp has finally turned the corner. Hopefully KK can turn the corner

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:01 AM
the sweetener

Per Strang's twitter he was late again today.

KatieStrangNYI Don't be surprised to see Kirill Kabanov bag-skated after practice...the 18-year-old showed up late again #Isles http://*******.com/2aljl6f

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Strummergas

Man, what is this kid's problem?

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Man, what is this kid's problem?
maybe he's just tired from playing NHL 11 all night, I mean it just came out and we all are playing it into the late night right now.

Personally this is non news, he's late it's not like he's getting DUI's or shooting himself in the leg or anything like that right?

Old
09-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
maybe he's just tired from playing NHL 11 all night, I mean it just came out and we all are playing it into the late night right now.

Personally this is non news, he's late it's not like he's getting DUI's or shooting himself in the leg or anything like that right?
Well of course it's not of that level, but it's a big deal for a kid who's had behavioral issues before screwing up during his first pro camp.

I mean, ultimately, who cares? Kabanov wasn't being counted on to be a major contributor for the Islanders or even counted on for making the team. He was destined to go back to juniors no matter what. He's only hurting himself. I won't even go as far as to say that they wasted a pick on him because it was only a 3rd rounder. If this kid ever does get his head out of his ass, then it will a hell of a pick. If not, big deal. Chances are anyone else they used the pick on wouldn't have made the NHL anyway. I'm just amazed that this kid isn't taking full advantage of the opportunity he's been given.

Old
09-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Well of course it's not of that level, but it's a big deal for a kid who's had behavioral issues before screwing up during his first pro camp.

I mean, ultimately, who cares? Kabanov wasn't being counted on to be a major contributor for the Islanders or even counted on for making the team. He was destined to go back to juniors no matter what. He's only hurting himself. I won't even go as far as to say that they wasted a pick on him because it was only a 3rd rounder. If this kid ever does get his head out of his ass, then it will a hell of a pick. If not, big deal. Chances are anyone else they used the pick on wouldn't have made the NHL anyway. I'm just amazed that this kid isn't taking full advantage of the opportunity he's been given.
It's maturity, which being late is a part of. If Strang was reporting issues on the ice with him then I'd be concerned. Let the Isles skate him to death after practice again and I'm sure he'll never be late again.

Old
09-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
It's maturity, which being late is a part of. If Strang was reporting issues on the ice with him then I'd be concerned. Let the Isles skate him to death after practice again and I'm sure he'll never be late again.
We shall see.

And actually, I'd be curious to see how often this happens with young players. Is this a somewhat common occurance among young players that all teams deal with? Is it only "newsworthy" because it's Kabanov and say, not Tony DeHart?

Old
09-22-2010, 09:43 AM
scott99

Once was ok. Now, forget it, I doubt he will ever get it. If he didn't get it after the first time, he will never get it. I was the biggest Kabanov supporter, I posted articles where there were people saying things weren't his fault, it was his dad's, it was the Russian coach's fault at the U18's etc. I can no longer support a person who can't take this gift seriously. And it is a gift, his talents are a gift, his second chance was a gift, the chance to play in the NHL is a gift, and all he does is screw it up. I'm writing him off, in my mind, I don't feel we will never see him in an Isles uniform, in fact, I wouldn't be shocked if we ever see him in an NHL uniform. Moncton may not want him back, obviously he's not good enough right now for the NHL, so maybe he can go back to Russia. Personally, I don't care anymore. I've written him off, he's nothing but a dumb kid who acts like a prima donna, go try that in Russia.

Last edited by scott99: 09-22-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old
09-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
We shall see.

And actually, I'd be curious to see how often this happens with young players. Is this a somewhat common occurance among young players that all teams deal with? Is it only "newsworthy" because it's Kabanov and say, not Tony DeHart?
I think it all depends, I notice that if your coming out of the college ranks or Canadian juniors it really doesn't happen, I mean hell those kids are primed and trained for stuff like this. If I had to guess it would probably happen to European and Russian kids more. I'm not going to say Kabanov isn't somewhat out there with this because he is, but I think that 99% of the time if it was any other player then this wouldn't even have been mentioned. Plus think about before the twitter/facebook/myspace age this stuff was never mentioned, instant news like that makes things much worse than they seem or turns a non story into a story like this is now. I wonder how often this happened back then in the 80's 90's ect with other kids on other teams and whatnot, I bet it's not uncommon.

Old
09-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Once was ok. Now, forget it, I doubt he will ever get it. If he didn't get it after the first time, he will never get it. I was the biggest Kabanov supporter, I posted articles where there were people saying things weren't his fault, it was his dad's, it was the Russian coach's fault at the U18's etc. I can no longer support a person who can't take this gift seriously. And it is a gift, his talents are a gift, his second chance was a gift, the chance to play in the NHL is a gift, and all he does is screw it up. I'm writing him off, in my mind, I don't feel we will ever see him in an Isles uniform, in fact, I wouldn't be shocked if we ever see him in an NHL uniform. Moncton may not want him back, obviously he's not good enough right now for the NHL, so maybe he can go back to Russia. Personally, I don't care anymore. I've written him off, he's nothing but a dumb kid who acts like a prima donna, go try that in Russia.
The fact of the matter is that he's a kid, he's 18 and even though he's a mornonic kid right now you just don't give up on him over two lates. I know the second is bad and ridiculous but let them just keep beating him down with punishment skates and whatnot and he'll get the idea. All this is showing is that he's not the sharpest tool in the shed and that they need to beat the idea into him now so it pays off for the Isles later.

I totally agree with you about it being a gift and everything and it does piss you, me, everyone here off because that's always been a dream to make it that far. But let's take it for what it is just a stupid kid right now with insane skills. He'll get it soon enough.

Old
09-22-2010, 10:01 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Once was ok. Now, forget it, I doubt he will ever get it. If he didn't get it after the first time, he will never get it. I was the biggest Kabanov supporter, I posted articles where there were people saying things weren't his fault, it was his dad's, it was the Russian coach's fault at the U18's etc. I can no longer support a person who can't take this gift seriously. And it is a gift, his talents are a gift, his second chance was a gift, the chance to play in the NHL is a gift, and all he does is screw it up. I'm writing him off, in my mind, I don't feel we will never see him in an Isles uniform, in fact, I wouldn't be shocked if we ever see him in an NHL uniform. Moncton may not want him back, obviously he's not good enough right now for the NHL, so maybe he can go back to Russia. Personally, I don't care anymore. I've written him off, he's nothing but a dumb kid who acts like a prima donna, go try that in Russia.
he's an 18 year old immature child..he didn't kill anyone..lets not write off 18 year olds...send him back to juniors if he doesn't grow up then he won't play here...its as simple as that

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:16 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
he's an 18 year old immature child..he didn't kill anyone..lets not write off 18 year olds...send him back to juniors if he doesn't grow up then he won't play here...its as simple as that
Who says Moncton will even give him a chance ? After seeing this, you think Flynn wants this loser dumped on him ? What if he pulls this crap down there ? Where does he go then ? I don't think it's an age thing anymore, it's an entitlement thing, which is something he hasn't earned. Look, Ovechkin is a bit nutty, but he's either the first or second best player in the NHL, and you never, ever hear about him being late. I'm sorry, there seems to be a bit more to this than just immaturity.

Old
09-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Brunomics

like I said on the prospects board, god forbid this happens again Gordon should skate the whole team and make Kabanov watch as punishment, him being late or anything will never happen again I'm sure of it.

Old
09-22-2010, 11:13 AM
I left the gate open

Quote:
like I said on the prospects board, god forbid this happens again Gordon should skate the whole team and make Kabanov watch as punishment, him being late or anything will never happen again I'm sure of it.
That was the first thought that popped into my mind. I'm thinking Gomer Pyle from Full Metal Jacket.

I left the gate open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerson View Post
That was the first thought that popped into my mind. I'm thinking Gomer Pyle from Full Metal Jacket.
totally, well without the bathroom scene at the end before they go to Vietnam. That could get ugly, poor Gordon dead on the floor, Okposo telling Kirill to put down the hockey stick, could end up bad.