HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bartulis - What do you/Flyers do?

Old
09-22-2010, 12:08 AM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
My issue with Walker is that he has an absurd contract in terms of both money and length.
Eggzactly!

There's nothing wrong with Walker as the 7th Dman as far as performance. There's alot wrong with him as the 7th Dman at his contract and term.

It just doesn't make sense in a salary cap world.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 01:43 AM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
They were both alright this game. My issue with Walker is that he has an absurd contract in terms of both money and length.

Bart is 600k until he is 26. In other words, free.
Which brings me back to in overall terms... Bartulis > Walker
Not to mention Bartulis could progress to be better. Not insanely better, but better.

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:50 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Well, they wanted Meszaros more than they wanted to having him go somewhere else while missing out on Michalek or Volchenkov too (having missed on Hamhuis).

I have no problem trading a 2nd pick for a 25 year old Dman who will very likely be an absolute stud for us for years to come. None at all. Esp. on a team that is ready to challenge again. Marshall was picked in the 2nd round how many years ago?
You're missing my point. I too have no problem with Meszaros. I too have no problem trading a 2nd round pick if it's necessary. The problem is Homer traded that 2nd round pick about 30 minutes into Free Agency. He did NOT even attempt to see what the market dictated. Yes we missed out on Hamhuis. We do not know if we would have missed out on the other comparable defenseman.

It's just flat out, not smart, to commit to a D-man who:
1)requires an additional asset (2nd rounder)
2) is actually coming off a couple of bad years, when you could wait a day, test the waters, and make the move if you have to. Classic impatient Homer.

Quote:
As far as trading Gagne, get over it. It was a salary dump of a player they wanted rid of. As I documented on here before, Gagne said he was asked to waive about a month before he was dealt, right around June 18 or 19 when they acquired Hamhuis'
Again, I feel like you're missing what I'm saying. I COMPLETELY understand Gagne was a salary dump.

My point is twofold:
1) It was a FAILED salary dump. You don't take back 1.7 million over the next THREE years on a borderline 6th d-man for a great expiring contract, when you have crucial FA's to sign the following year. I get it, we needed to shed salary....so don't take back any.
2) You don't even need to make a salary dump AT ALL, if you don't add 3 defenseman at a total of 7 million dollars when you already had 5 NHL d-man. You don't need to have the world's best d-crops in July. Signing O'Donnell and keeping the salary flexbility, and then re-evaluating the position in a few months, is much smarter, and more fiscally responsible.

So I'll say it again, I have no issue witht he players we got. I expect them to be solid players, and I DO think we are a better team than we were last year. It is 100% in HOW Homer accomplished this. And apparently, you fail to see it too.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:58 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
so glad Homer signed him to a 3 year one-way contract extension after he played 5 games in the NHL
You're misinformed. A "one way contract" has nothing to do with whether or not you can freely send anyone down or call anyone up. It merely means he makes one salary whether or not he is in the NHL or AHL.

His waiver eligibility is completely independent of whether or not he has a one or two way contract.

Old
09-22-2010, 09:17 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
You're missing my point. I too have no problem with Meszaros. I too have no problem trading a 2nd round pick if it's necessary. The problem is Homer traded that 2nd round pick about 30 minutes into Free Agency. He did NOT even attempt to see what the market dictated. Yes we missed out on Hamhuis. We do not know if we would have missed out on the other comparable defenseman.
Actually, he did it about 10 minutes before free agency.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:26 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Actually, he did it about 10 minutes before free agency.
Even better. I knew it was close, I went with shortly afterwards for the sake of being conservative.

Old
09-22-2010, 09:31 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Even better. I knew it was close, I went with shortly afterwards for the sake of being conservative.
Now you're more right, because it further proves how scared he is to go into free agency and overpay for someone he may not be sure he wants (instead of letting your all-star coach figure out how to bring out the best in players). Same reason he traded for Hamhuis, and almost got burned but the Penguins saved us on that one.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:37 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Well, they wanted Meszaros more than they wanted to having him go somewhere else while missing out on Michalek or Volchenkov too (having missed on Hamhuis).
Who else was interested? He had been shopped around for a while. Had another team been interested imo they would have already acquired him.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Based on what exactly? I guy that has been static or regressed the last 2 years doesnt get the stud for years to come tag just yet. He cold very well still nto get betetr and be the same player he was in Tampa.
Meszaros is Coburn without the playoff contributions. It is going to be rough to watch him, but at least it will only be on the 3rd pairing.........for $4mill. Love how Meszaros will be an absolute stud though, this kid has regressed every year since his breakout season in Ottawa.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Meszaros is Coburn without the playoff contributions. It is going to be rough to watch him, but at least it will only be on the 3rd pairing.........for $4mill. Love how Meszaros will be an absolute stud though, this kid has regressed every year since his breakout season in Ottawa.
funny i remember another player doing that too that is currently on our team

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:44 AM
jb**

Quote:
I will not write him off just yet. He gets a clean slate to turn around his game. However people really expect this guy to come in be this great player. He is closer to Eminger than being a stud player. We shall see. He falters, that contract will be the worse one yet.

Old
09-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Who else was interested? He had been shopped around for a while. Had another team been interested imo they would have already acquired him.
People will understand how bent over the barrel Homer was by Yzerman once the season starts playing out, but in the meantime.....yup Meszaros and Walker are worth every penny of every year left on those contracts through 2013-2014.

Not only did Stevie Y get the best player out of both deals he also got an expiring contract and a #2 draft pick.

Old
09-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
I will not write him off just yet. He gets a clean slate to turn around his game. However people really expect this guy to come in be this great player. He is closer to Eminger than being a stud player. We shall see. He falters, that contract will be the worse one yet.
I watched him last night just because of the #41 on his back, used to love Alberts and how he played regardless of his flawed game. As I was watching him two things came to mind: 1) how big he looks on skates(he is only 6'2") 2) how much he reminds me of a mix of Bundy and Coburn on the ice.

He had one nice breakout skating but otherwise I have to wonder what Homer has. He had a couple nice point shots, at least they were on net Mr Coburn, but $4mill for this guy is an overpayment.

Old
09-22-2010, 09:52 AM
jb**

Quote:
People will understand how bent over the barrel Homer was by Yzerman once the season starts playing out, but in the meantime.....yup Meszaros and Walker are worth every penny of every year left on those contracts through 2013-2014.

Not only did Stevie Y get the best player out of both deals he also got an expiring contract and a #2 draft pick.
It is funny as when other teams take on a bad contract they seem to get a pick/prospect back as well. Shooter never does. Mezaros is bad contract and he overpaid. Gagne deal was a joke.

Old
09-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
It is funny as when other teams take on a bad contract they seem to get a pick/prospect back as well. Shooter never does. Mezaros is bad contract and he overpaid. Gagne deal was a joke.
What is a joke is that Larry44 actually thinks trading Gagne to TB was a salary dump after Homer had already traded a 2nd rd pick for Meszaros and took back Walker in the deal. More years and more money do not equal salary dump.

Old
09-22-2010, 10:25 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
What is a joke is that Larry44 actually thinks trading Gagne to TB was a salary dump after Homer had already traded a 2nd rd pick for Meszaros and took back Walker in the deal. More years and more money do not equal salary dump.
Ding ding ding!

Yes it resulted in us being under the cap this year, but that doesn't mean it was successful though. 100% fail. I would have literally rathered we gave Gagne away for nothing.

Old
09-22-2010, 11:00 AM
ELab2

At this point, dump Walker and keep Bartulis. Bartulis was much better last night. Walker looked super slow. I don't care that he was the return for Gagne, you go with the best team you can and you cut your loses before you let them screw you. You add the cost difference and it's clear cut so far.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:43 AM
jb**

Quote:
Ding ding ding!

Yes it resulted in us being under the cap this year, but that doesn't mean it was successful though. 100% fail. I would have literally rathered we gave Gagne away for nothing.
Or dont trade him. you dont make a bad deal just to make a trade.

Old
09-22-2010, 12:06 PM
CerpinTaxt

something that might help Bartulis, he speaks, wait for it, Russian.

http://www.csnphilly.com/09/21/10/Ba...621&feedID=704

Quote:
Bartulis is the only player on the Flyers’ roster right now who speaks fluent Russian. During drills, he and Nikolai Zherdev, who understands English but can’t speak it very well, are constantly talking.

Bartulis said he has been helping Zherdev off the ice in daily routines in which Zherdev needs someone who speaks English better than him. In some cases, Bartulis has helped Zherdev better understand what Laviolette wants from him in drills.

It’s entirely possible that factors into whether Bartulis makes the final cut, as someone who can help ease Zherdev’s transition with the team, on and off the ice.

“I try to help him with the team,” Bartulis said. “I know myself what it is like. You are kinda shy, your language is not that good. He’s doing good. I have been helping a lot with [Segei] Bobrovsky in translating.

“With Zherdev, I have been helping him outside hockey with his life situation … The only thing for him is his problem to talk but he understands everything.”

Obviously, the battle for the seventh spot on defense is a little more complicated for the Flyers than it may appear.

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 12:06 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Or dont trade him. you dont make a bad deal just to make a trade.
True. The problem is though...because of earlier maneuvers, someone needed to go. So more likely than not, you were stuck making a bad deal just to make a trade.

Old
09-22-2010, 12:10 PM
jb**

Quote:
True. The problem is though...because of earlier maneuvers, someone needed to go. So more likely than not, you were stuck making a bad deal just to make a trade.
thats the problem. They put themselves into a bad position that they didnt need to be put into. You still didnt need to make the trade at that time. I would realyl love to hear how botht hose tampa trades went down with Yzerman. He probably didnt even have to say much. when it was over he though to himself it cant be this east can it?

Old
09-22-2010, 12:22 PM
DenverBoone

Mark it down peeps. Walker is staying. The Org. loves his physicality on the blueline, and he doesn't skate or play too poorly. Bartulis is going to get waived and claimed by some very lucky team. Bartulis' value is off the charts. They ****ed themselves in the ass on this one.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 12:25 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Mark it down peeps. Walker is staying. The Org. loves his physicality on the blueline, and he doesn't skate or play too poorly. Bartulis is going to get waived and claimed by some very lucky team. Bartulis' value is off the charts. They ****ed themselves in the ass on this one.
if his value is off the charts then why wouldnt they trade him first instead of waiving him?

Old
09-22-2010, 12:50 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

I guarantee if Bartulis is waived he ends up with the Isles or another divisional rival

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
if his value is off the charts then why wouldnt they trade him first instead of waiving him?
Good question.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote