HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Training Camp Thread - Camp is over, season starts TODAY!

Old
09-21-2010, 10:24 PM
WartracePred

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears19 View Post
Leggy/Andersson pairing were the two best players on the ice, imo.

I didn't think Franson stood out that much today, I thought Blum was better.

I agree with previous poster about Toots. He was running around and made a couple of nice moves, but also fired a few ineffective shots off way off target, and scored no goals.
Just a few observations from yesterday and today.

Anderson really looks good. He created several scoring opportunities with Leggy today. He seemed to separate himself from the defenseman covering him just enough to either get a shot off or pass to someone bearing down the slot. And he's a big body that should not be easily separated from the puck.

Blum handles the puck exceptionally well. On break-outs he excels - had a couple of "wow" moves today moving the puck up ice. On the defensive side, I don't know enough to evaluate his positioning. Seems to have grown into his frame. Doesn't look at all thin.

With the glut of forwards at camp, I was a little worried about Tootoo finding a place. His speed just stands out when he is on the ice. Others are either chasing him, or trying to avoid him as he bears down on them. Being close to the ice, you can see the eyes of his opponents watching him, always aware of where he is. No other player on the team has anywhere near that presence. Will he score lots of points, no. Will he take bad penalties, probably. Will he disrupt the flow of a game, yes.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:59 PM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
To me it looked opposite. Cube pinched when Blum had the puck on the half boards once. Another time he missed 2 chances to push the puck back in the zone and didn't, skating the puck all the way back into his zone then turning the puck over.
I take it that you've never personally played the game of hockey? Nothing personal, but I believe that you would understand how sound Bouillon's game is if you had actually played competitive hockey before. He may never impress you, but that's probably because he's so positionally sound that you're not actually noticing him. That's a good thing.

PredaDORES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:39 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post
I take it that you've never personally played the game of hockey? Nothing personal, but I believe that you would understand how sound Bouillon's game is if you had actually played competitive hockey before. He may never impress you, but that's probably because he's so positionally sound that you're not actually noticing him. That's a good thing.
Trig has played hockey...probably more than anyone else on this board (outside perhaps me )

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:15 AM
glenngineer

I haven't been to camp and won't get to go this year because of my move. I've been to a lot of camps the last few years though and this much I can tell you, relax. We're 3 or 4 days in to camp. Some guys will look good, some will look bad. It's not that a big deal just yet. I don't know what expectations have of these guys but I think some are expecting guys like Wilson and Blum to be that much better than everyone on the ice. They're young players that have tremendous skill but guess what, they're going up against guys with tremendous skill that have played in this league for a while. A few practices does not make or break a guy being on this team for the long haul. Poile and Trotz probably know who their starting 18 is going to be on opening night, long before camp hit. There might be a battle or two for either a forward position or the number 6/7 slot on d. Everything else is solidified in their minds.

I really don't know what expectations people have of anyone on the ice but if you're expecting Blum, Wilson, whoever it is, to light it up every time they touch the puck or defend someone, you're gonna be disappointed more often than not. Look at the entire practice as opposed to a mistake or two that someone makes and then assess. I noticed someone said Wilson was offsides many times. What is many? Was it on him or the guy going to the blue line and peeling off that caused him to be offsides? Watch the whole game as opposed to just one guy and then say, he was offsides, he's having a bad practice. It may not have been him that was the problem. If it were Fiddler, then I'd say the blame is all his....lol. Enjoy the practices and keep the reports coming. Love to hear what everyone has to say.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:17 AM
MrJoshua

Blum is probably aware that, barring a trade or a completely dominating camp/pre-season performance, he's almost certain to play in the minors again this year. There are simply too many guys in front of him on one-way contracts. Weber, Suter, Klein, Boullion, Franson, Parent, Sulzer. That's most likely going to be the seven defensemen on the roster after pre-season ends. At best (again, unless he completely dominates or someone gets traded) Blum is trying to play his way into first-callup status. On the plus side, Milwaukee should have a whale of a defense this season...

I am finding the comments about the forwards in camp very interesting. If Andersson is finding some chemistry with Legwand, does that give him the inside track on making it into the top six? If so, who does he displace? Does that bump Ward down to the fourth line? Does it bump SK down to the fourth line, or the minors? If it knocks one of those guys to the fourth line, who does it bump off the active roster? Does Tootoo ride the bench? Smithson? Goc? A fourth line of Tootoo-Goc-Ward could be a third line on a lot of teams, but where does that leave the penalty kill with no Smithson? Legwand-Erat as one pair, Goc-SK or something like that for the other? Maybe Sullivan plays more PK this year?

Man, what a nice problem to have, though. Instead of hoping the team has six legitimate top-six players this year, it's sounding more like they're trying to find room for ten or eleven legitimate top-nine guys. For a team that thrives on solid defense, buying into the whole-team philosophy and balanced scoring, that's a pretty exciting concept. If they can get three lines out there that all have decent scoring ability, and a fourth line with the ability to grind and maybe even chip in a little offense now and then, this could be a great team.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:23 AM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Seconded. Please note, Preds fans, that this guy is NOT a Florida Panther and just a tryout. Here's to a full a complete recovery for Klasen.
coming from a preds fan I think the hit was legal and clean. I have no problem with a kid on a tryout playing the game as hard as he can to make it.

hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:15 AM
MrJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
coming from a preds fan I think the hit was legal and clean. I have no problem with a kid on a tryout playing the game as hard as he can to make it.
On the video it looked like an elbow and a pretty clear head shot, but I wasn't there so I don't really know. The ref didn't call a penalty so maybe it was clean. Bad result either way, though. I hope Klasen makes a complete recovery and takes advantage of a season in Milwaukee to keep developing his game. The kid has serious hands.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:44 AM
kivaerijo

anyone else think that if Goc gets enough ice time (and i am starting to doubt that with the depth), that this could be a big year for him? he looks really good in camp this year! and if we have this depth issue, his line should be decent as well.

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:53 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post
I've only played since probably before you were born, played many years of travel when I was younger and coached travel youth hockey, and helped put on many youth camps/clinics and did alot of this with more than a few people that post on this board.

Never once did I say I didn't notice him, I gave examples of his screw ups. If he's so good at his position why is he 35 years old and never been more than bottom pairing or healthy scratch defenseman? he is far from positionally sound. In fact only Franson was protected more by Trotz last season...

At the risk of sounding too much like a hater though, I won't post any more negatives on him. I know the Legwand bashers drive me crazy and I don't want to sound like one of them.

On another note I have not seen Sulzer at camp yet, has anyone else? I think he might have a tough time beating out 2 and 77.

Last edited by triggrman: 09-22-2010 at 09:06 AM.
triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:07 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
anyone else think that if Goc gets enough ice time (and i am starting to doubt that with the depth), that this could be a big year for him? he looks really good in camp this year! and if we have this depth issue, his line should be decent as well.
I like Goc so I hope you're right.

Old
09-22-2010, 09:09 AM
goalscorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Can we not turn this thread into a bunch of bitterness towards SK? I think we'd all appreciate it.

It's a shame about Josi. I think the majority of us were hoping to see him given a shot. I'm also disappointed with the comments about Blum. I was hoping that the negative remarks in his regard after development camp were merely spawned from his not wanting to be there. If he can't get up for the big club's training camp then something is wrong.
I agree with your remarks about Blum. I remember the comments during development camp and thought maybe he felt he was above it and was just waiting to make his move at the big camp. Without seeing him play myself, it seems like maybe he is having some off ice issues or simply isnt ready. I hope neither is the case and he's just having a slow start. I was really hoping he'd make a push to have Sulzer traded and possibly beat Parent out of a spot. I'm now hoping he gets a good stint in Mil. and gets to develop alot more. I've grown more excited about Josi's potential than Blum's in the past couple of months.

I am truly excited about this years squad as well as our Ads team full of prospects. Both teams have alot of talent and depth. It will be interesting to see who Trotz plays on each line and if our "prospect team" will tear up the A like I think they can.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:23 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:

On another note I have not seen Sulzer at camp yet, has anyone else? I think he might have a tough time beating out 2 and 77.
Odd since Sulzer was quoted by Trotz yesterday as one of the more consistent players...

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:54 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
... Toots. ... fired a few ineffective shots way off target, and scored no goals.
I LOVE it when players report to camp in mid-season form.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 09-22-2010 at 10:07 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:02 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

http://twitter.com/diamondhockey

Jim Diamond quoting Trotz is saying some players might not be seeing ice time at Preseason games.

Old
09-22-2010, 11:18 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Odd since Sulzer was quoted by Trotz yesterday as one of the more consistent players...
Might have just been a timing deal. I just didn't see him.

Old
09-22-2010, 12:17 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Might have just been a timing deal. I just didn't see him.
It's camp. Twice as many players. two rinks, jerseys that look the same and frantic motion as EVERYONE is fighting for a job. You never had an audience for your job interview.

Old
09-22-2010, 12:45 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
I think most would concede that in no particular order it's Weber, Suter, Cube, Klein, Franson, and Parent as the top-6 d-men. The 7th is going to be interesting.

Sulzer vs Aaron Johnson - Both either make the team or have to clear waivers, which neither likely will. My bet is we keep Johnson and hope Sulzer clears. If he doesn't, then maybe we can pick him back up down the road.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
I think most would concede that in no particular order it's Weber, Suter, Cube, Klein, Franson, and Parent as the top-6 d-men. The 7th is going to be interesting.

Sulzer vs Aaron Johnson - Both either make the team or have to clear waivers, which neither likely will. My bet is we keep Johnson and hope Sulzer clears. If he doesn't, then maybe we can pick him back up down the road.
I think Blum is staying up this year as the 7th man

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 01:17 PM
predfan24

I still think we are trying to find ways to trade Sulzer and O'Reily. Two one way guys who really aren't needed due to excessive depth. I can't see Sulzer beating out guys like Parent, Johnson, Blum, Josi over the course of the whole season to stay up with the big club.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 01:21 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I still think we are trying to find ways to trade Sulzer and O'Reily. Two one way guys who really aren't needed due to excessive depth. I can't see Sulzer beating out guys like Parent, Johnson, Blum, Josi over the course of the whole season to stay up with the big club.
I agree with this but this is Poile we are talking about. He loves maximizing assets.

Old
09-22-2010, 02:05 PM
predfan24

Quote:
I agree with this but this is Poile we are talking about. He loves maximizing assets.
Yeah but I'm sure the owners don't want to be paying those one ways up in Milwaukee. I think it's fair to say there is a good chance neither ends up in Nashville. If that happens they would be paying over 1.1 mil to have them play in the AHL. Can't see that happening.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 02:09 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Yeah but I'm sure the owners don't want to be paying those one ways up in Milwaukee. I think it's fair to say there is a good chance neither ends up in Nashville. If that happens they would be paying over 1.1 mil to have them play in the AHL. Can't see that happening.
I would gleefully like picks for both of them. It's a rough draft coming up and Poile likes lots of picks in a crappy draft. Or maybe turn some of the lower picks to higher picks.

Old
09-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Some Twitterings....

diamondhockey
Pekks and Dex will be the Preds goaltenders tomorrow night.

NHLPredsInsider
Fans will get their first look at Kostitsyn, and to some extent, Parent and Andersson tomorrow night. Geoffrion, Beck, Ellis will also go.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 02:34 PM
token grinder

i heard that the preds are trying to move franson still. that was as of this past week.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
i heard that the preds are trying to move franson still. that was as of this past week.
not shocked at all

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote