HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

30 Teams in 30 Days: Flyers

Old
09-22-2010, 11:33 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

vCash: 500
30 Teams in 30 Days: Flyers

via TSN.ca:

Quote:
Philadelphia Flyers
2009-10: 41-35-6 (7th in East, Eliminated in Stanley Cup Final by Blackhawks)
General Manager: Paul Holmgren (4th Season)
Head Coach: Peter Laviolette (2nd Season)

What they did in the off-season:

It was a much shorter off-season than originally expected in the ‘City of Brotherly' love thanks to the Flyers shocking run to the Stanley Cup finals. Philly got the off-season ball rolling by extending the contract of third string netminder Jonas Backlund by two years. They then made the bold gambit of acquiring the rights to sign soon to be free agent defenceman Dan Hamhuis from the Predators for defenceman Ryan Parent. When they were unable to come to terms with Hamhuis, the Flyers then traded his rights to their cross state rivals, the Pittsburgh Penguins. In case the ‘Broad Street Bullies' did not have enough muscle at their disposal they added tough guy Jody Shelley through free agency then bolstered their blue line depth, signing Sean O'Donnell and acquired Andrej Meszaros in a trade with the Lightning. Ray Emery, Lukas Krajicek and Arron Asham were all allowed to walk in free agency, while Braydon Coburn was re-upped for two more years and Daniel Carcillo and Darryl Powe each agreed to one-year deals. In a bit of a shocking move, Nikolai Zherdev left the KHL to join Philadelphia. After spending his entire career in Philadelphia, Simon Gagne was dealt to the Lightning for Matt Walker in what appeared to be a salary dump. When Bill Guerin was told that his services were no longer needed in Pittsburgh he jumped on the William Penn highway and earned himself an invitation to Flyers camp on a tryout basis.

Biggest issue facing the team:

The Flyers must have breathed a sigh of relief on how the Ilya Kovalchuk saga played out as their contract with stud defenceman Chris Pronger was also investigated by the league. Considering that they are right up against the NHL's salary cap as it is, it would have been very difficult to re-negotiate Pronger's deal and shed further salary to get under the cap.
Never the most disciplined team to begin with, the Flyers were once again among the most penalized teams in the league last season, the addition of Jody Shelley will do nothing to end this trend. While Philadelphia's penalty killing ranked 11th in the league last season, constantly putting themselves in a hole by taking bad penalties places an immense strain on the Flyers already shaky goaltending situation. Philadelphia has not had a legitimate number one goalie since Ron Hextall left town more than a decade ago and it has been the team's Achilles heel as they attempt to take the next step. Philly went through five starting netminders last season and enter training camp with the tandem of Michael Leighton and Brian Boucher between the pipes, the same combo that came up just short in the playoffs. Considering the amount of firepower at their disposal, you would have to think the Flyers need to solidify their goaltending if they want shed their status as perennial bridesmaids who are constantly one player short of a championship squad.

Player to watch:

This could be a very interesting season for Claude Giroux. Big things were predicted of the 22-year old last season, however he struggled for much of the campaign and finished with only 16 regular season goals while sporting an abysmal -9 plus/minus rating. The Hearst, Ontario native came alive in the post-season for the Flyers, scoring 10 goals and adding 11 assists in 23 games. His strong play should do a world of good for his confidence entering the season. The chemistry that he built up with linemates Dan Briere and Ville Leino should help him easily establish career highs across the board offensively, a great sign for a young player who is up for restricted free agency at season's end. He could well be this season's breakout star.
LINK: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=334699

Last edited by HoverCarle*: 09-22-2010 at 02:25 PM.
dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:36 AM
Centauris*

I didn't know Giroux was paired with Briere and Leino

Centauris* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:37 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalltalk10 View Post

YEa, neither did I....

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Garbage Goal

Pretty much all true, but nothing we haven't all heard before. One thing that annoys me with "professional" articles is that they rarely call out things as they are. For instance, instead of just coming out and saying that the Gagne trade was an abortion of a hockey trade, they just call it a salary dump and move on. Makes me feel like I'm watching a game and our broadcasting staff is too homerish to acknowledge any bad moves made in the off-season.

All in all, we all already know what we have. Stacked offense, stacked defense (with too much excess though), and **** NHL goaltending. We've all known that for a while.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:51 AM
CptCannon

They definately hit the tail of the nail choosing Giroux as the player to watch, kid's gonna have a monster year. Him and JVR both.

And the goalie thing...

Who's with me to bring in Theodore (at 1-2mil) and trade Walker + Leights/Boosh for something (bag of pucks for example)?

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 12:40 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Meh.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalltalk10 View Post
They meant JvR and Asham, easy to make that mistake.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
They definately hit the tail of the nail choosing Giroux as the player to watch, kid's gonna have a monster year. Him and JVR both.

And the goalie thing...

Who's with me to bring in Theodore (at 1-2mil) and trade Walker + Leights/Boosh for something (bag of pucks for example)?
A cheap Theo i would take any day of the week over Leighton/Boucher and have Backlund/Bobo back up.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 02:17 PM
TheLegendkiller

Neither Buffalo or Boston should be ahead of us. Both overrated as ****.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

yeah, i'm having trouble figuring out where the buffalo/boston hype comes from.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Neither Buffalo or Boston should be ahead of us. Both overrated as ****.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I have a theory.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I have a theory.

I've never heard of any Buffalo hype before. I think most people see them as a lower seed or as a non-playoff team.

Boston's hype is deserved, I think. I think they're legit contenders. More legit then us possibly if we don't fix our goaltending.

Their offense on the wings has improved (which was their only real weak spot offensively), they're still semi-stacked at center (albeit with no scary legit number one), their defense is solid with good depth, and their goalie tandem is probably the best in the league. There's good reason to be scared of them. They were conference champs two seasons ago (albeit in the regular season) and they went seven games in the second round last year with the EC champs. They've only improved from last year so I don't see why the hype isn't deserved. The only serious flaws I see in Boston's team is semi-weak top six wingers, no true number one center (offensively speaking) with Savard out, and a lack of any superstars. None of those problems should be glaring enough to hurt their legitimacy as contenders though.

Old
09-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I've never heard of any Buffalo hype before. I think most people see them as a lower seed or as a non-playoff team..
The Sabres as a whole are not very good to look at to be honest but Miller like Hasek before him can carry a mediocre team to a record/finish better then they should have.

Never underestimate the effect an elite goalie can have on a mediocre team.

Hasek in Buffalo ,, Cujo carrying weak Oilers teams , etc

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
The Sabres as a whole are not very good to look at to be honest but Miller like Hasek before him can carry a mediocre team to a record/finish better then they should have.

Never underestimate the effect an elite goalie can have on a mediocre team.

Hasek in Buffalo ,, Cujo carrying weak Oilers teams , etc
Eh, Buffalo's roster is deceivingly average. They lack any house-hold names and don't have anyone flashy so the guys that do produce on their team (Roy for example) often go unnoticed even by hardcore fans.

For example, Roy has never scored less then 69 points in his last three seasons and Pominville has never scored less then 62 points in his last three. Both have had 80 point seasons in their last three seasons.

On defense, Tallinder (who is gone, I know) is an example of a guy who quietly got his stuff done.

The problem is that, outside of Miller, the rest of their team is (or was) completely average/mediocre. The best player outside of Miller is Vanek. That's pretty sad.

So their roster isn't bad enough to negate their excellent starting goaltending to the point where they'll get a top ten pick, but it also isn't good enough for any fan or analyst to take them seriously as a Cup threat or even a playoff threat.

So, yeah, they're very mediocre outside of Miller, but they do get a bit underrated at times. I think that, due to Boston likely taking the division and their losses on defense and offense (MacArthur, Mair, Tallinder, Lydman) they'll be worse then last year and either a low seed or a fringe playoff team.

Old
09-22-2010, 03:25 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Thanks TSN. That Giroux, Leino Briere combo was crazy last year wasn't it? Idiots.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:

So their roster isn't bad enough to negate their excellent starting goaltending to the point where they'll get a top ten pick, but it also isn't good enough for any fan or analyst to take them seriously as a Cup threat or even a playoff threat. .
Halak is a good example of how far a hot goalie can take an average team recently. Plenty more examples

To dismiss the Sabres as a threat is a bit absurd.

And to argue a counter to your point.

Would it be of equal worth to you if someone claimed because of your terrible goaltending that the Flyers are not a cup threat or playoff threat?

Old
09-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Halak is a good example of how far a hot goalie can take an average team recently. Plenty more examples
So, a goalie on a hot streak bringing a fringe playoff team through two seven-game series and then getting destroyed in the ECF is an example of a contender?

The forward and defense group for Montreal is arguably better then Buffalo's right now and Buffalo obviously has the better goalie. Bringing up a fringe playoff team that hasn't done jack **** in the last few years in the playoffs to prove that Buffalo is a serious threat isn't the wisest idea.

Quote:
...It is? Then why has pretty much no fan-base or analyst taken the Sabres as a serious Cup threat the last few years and why are many people claiming that the Sabres will be a lower seed, at best?

Show me legitimate reasons why the Sabres are a legitimate threat. Go on.

Quote:
Would it be of equal worth to you if someone claimed because of your terrible goaltending that the Flyers are not a cup threat or playoff threat?
It would be laughable to claim that the Flyers aren't a playoff threat considering that they're as close to being a lock for the playoffs as you can get. Pretty sure most people acknowledge that we're a Cup threat and would be instant Cup favorites if we swapped out Boucher or Leighton for a decent starter.

Personally, I don't see us having a realistic shot at winning the Cup if we don't fix our goalie situation by the time the playoffs roll around. However, I'll be amazed if the goalie situation isn't resolved by then.

Let me ask you this. Is there any one player on the Sabres that you can realistically swap out for another player in the league that would instantly make them Cup favorites? Because the Flyers are only one swap away from being Cup favorites. Considering that we already have two promising goalies in our system ready to challenge to take over if necessary, it shouldn't be hard finding a replacement if our GM wishes to find one.

Old
09-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
So, a goalie on a hot streak bringing a fringe playoff team through two seven-game series and then getting destroyed in the ECF is an example of a contender?

...It is? Then why has pretty much no fan-base or analyst taken the Sabres as a serious Cup threat the last few years and why are many people claiming that the Sabres will be a lower seed, at best?The forward and defense group for Montreal is arguably better then Buffalo's right now and Buffalo obviously has the better goalie. Bringing up a fringe playoff team that hasn't done jack **** in the last few years in the playoffs to prove that Buffalo is a serious threat isn't the wisest idea

The forward and defense group for Montreal is arguably better then Buffalo's right now and Buffalo obviously has the better goalie. Bringing up a fringe playoff team that hasn't done jack **** in the last few years in the playoffs to prove that Buffalo is a serious threat isn't the wisest idea.
That hot goalie took out the best team in league + defending champs and had his team 3 wins away from an unexpected appearance in finals.

Yes any team that makes the playoffs can be a viewed as a contender in Habs case they went farther then 13 other teams.

Quote:
Show me legitimate reasons why the Sabres are a legitimate threat. Go on.
- Balanced lineup
- Solid D
- An elite goalie
- A vet coach with years of experience including a run to Finals + several Conf finals appearances

They can beat anyone in a 7 game series

Quote:
It would be laughable to claim that the Flyers aren't a playoff threat considering that they're as close to being a lock for the playoffs as you can get. Pretty sure most people acknowledge that we're a Cup threat and would be instant Cup favorites if we swapped out Boucher or Leighton for a decent starter.

Personally, I don't see us having a realistic shot at winning the Cup if we don't fix our goalie situation by the time the playoffs roll around. However, I'll be amazed if the goalie situation isn't resolved by then.
The Flyers were a heavy favorite and lock to make playoffs and nearly didn't make the playoffs this past year

A few injuries to key dman/forwards and the Flyers are in trouble. (Same as most teams in league)

Your GM seems happy with Leighton/Boucher tandem ,,,,, Hasn't shown any real desire to improve the goalie position so why would you expect any changes?

Quote:
Let me ask you this. Is there any one player on the Sabres that you can realistically swap out for another player in the league that would instantly make them Cup favorites? Because the Flyers are only one swap away from being Cup favorites. Considering that we already have two promising goalies in our system ready to challenge to take over if necessary, it shouldn't be hard finding a replacement if our GM wishes to find one.
Not one player to make them cup favorites but if the Sabres were to acquire a PMD like Kaberle I think there team would be much more effective and dangerous

Old
09-22-2010, 04:14 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Not one player to make them cup favorites but if the Sabres were to acquire a PMD like Kaberle I think there team would be much more effective and dangerous
I definitely agree with that, they miss Brian Campbell (when he was good) alot in Buffalo.

It's hard to say any team isn't a contender because hockey is by far the most unpredictable playoff scenario of the 4 major sports, but if I had to list legit contenders in the East I would go: Bos, NJD, Pitt, Philly, Wash all before Buffalo. Can you really say there are six contenders in the East? I prefer to keep that name for the top 2-3 in each conference going into the season.

Perhaps I'm just arguing semantics, though.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:

And to argue a counter to your point.

How dare you say that! According to some Michael Leighton is the second coming of Tim Thomas. Which if they're correct can only mean 1 thing:

VEZINA!

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:41 PM
BernieParent

The thing that bugs me about this summary is where the writer says the Flyers "went through five starting netminders last season", as though they all messed the bed. The intentional omission that the revolving door was directly caused by one injury after another.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote