HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grades from Preseason GAME 1

Old
09-22-2010, 05:41 PM
HighOFFHockey

vCash: 500
Grades from Preseason GAME 1

My opinion from game one. I know that it's early, but I'm very excited. The grade relates to stats, ice time, and improvement over last season.

|-Fowards-|
Jeff Carter: B+; Carter was flying out there but he was -2. He looks all healed up and looking ahead for a great season

Darrol Powe: B-; Played well enough to prove he still has a role on this team and shows that he can still fore-check very well. The goal was also nice to see.

Claude Giroux: A-; The kid looks flat out lightning. The hands are even more dynamic than last season and looks to be continuing to progress. IS the most talented offensive player on this team.

Nikolai Zherdev: B-; Showed several signs of elite offensive skill, but does not back-check hard enough. Also he looked a bit out of place and miss communication, but I assume that is because he is new. All in all I image in he will be a great weapon for this team as the season progresses.

JVR: A-; No points in the game, but that boy looks like a man now. Out muscling opponents, taking the puck to the net, drawing penalties, and taking heavy shots from outside the hash marks. I think we are about to see a player that might make Chicago say "Maybe we should of taken JVR instead?" Look for him to play on the top line this year.

Mike Richards: A; Preseason for Mike Richards seems more like a backyard game. When he wanted to, he dominated, when he didn't he played well. I think Richards has hit that next level. He was very poised and I expect he will get better by game 1.

Andreas Nodl: B+; Nodl had a very strong game. It is only preseason, but he looked like a veteran out there. Poised and energetic Nodl is ready for the NHL. I suspect He will be a Flyer by seasons end allowing for someone to be traded. He will prove a lot of naysayers wrong this year.

Danny Briere: A; Again his confidence is sky high and will most likely lead this team in points this year. I saw moments of greatness and his goal was fantastic. Look for who ever plays with him to have a big season

Bill Guerin: C; Showed his age. Looked like he really he found a home on this team, but I don't think its on the ice. He was outplayed by every other Flyer forward. Could not keep up with JVR and Briere. I suspect Guerin will get cut, but get offered a job with the club.

Jody Shelly: B-; Did what he was there to do an played hard. He will be a great enforcer for this team, but not much more. A big upgrade over Cote.

Ben Holmstrom: B; I really liked what I saw from this kid. Rarely beaten along the boards and showed very good signs of being a two way forward. I suspect another Darrol Powe, only with less tenacity and more skill.

Ian Laperriere: A; Played excellent, still dropping down in front of shots in the preseason. His heart is something that should be bottled and force fed to the rest of the team

|-Defense-|
Kimmo Timonen: B+; Made a few mistakes out there, but was still the best D-Man in that game. He will continue to be the go to man behind Pronger.

Braydon Coburn: B; Showed signs of awesomeness, but also made a few bad decisions. One bad turnover in particular that led to a goal. I suspect that this will not happen for Coburn as he had an excellent playoff run.

Andrej Meszros: B-; Didn't show enough in the game to really impress me, but again I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because he's new.

Matt Walker: C; Lost his fight, but had some moments of hustle. Still I'm not impressed, reminds me of Jim Vandermeer

Season O'Donnell: B; Looked calm and poised, but also a bit slow. I image he will grow on me and will be a type of player that well come up with some great penalty killing.

Oskars Bartulis: C+; Didn't notice him much, but i did see him have one nice shot on net. Aside from that it remains to be seen whether he is ready to take over Walkers spot.

|-Goaltending-|
Michael Leighton:B-; Started off well, but gave up fat rebounds that led to some goals. I will however say that he was left high and dry in the second, but he did not do his part.

Sergei Bobrovsky: A; The kid is flat out a talent. The best goalie I've seen in a flyer uniform on there first day performance. I felt very comfortable with him in net and he is much quicker that any other goalie we have. I believe he will start on the Phantoms this year, but only for cap reasons. Homer has been brilliant in acquire prospects without any draft picks. I think we will see some other prospects worth mentioning by the end of camp.

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:02 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

I don't want you to feel as if your well thoughts went to waste but...

is this really necessary? it's game one of the Preseason

I do agree with you for the most part though. JvR has me crazy excited for the season to start.

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:08 PM
HighOFFHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVT395 View Post

I do agree with you for the most part though. JvR has me crazy excited for the season to start.
Ha for sure it will be, but I am craving the season and I don't have many hockey fans around me talk to to. So i do it here.

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVT395 View Post

Not really worth evaluating anything until about Game 20 of the regular season.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:12 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOFFHockey View Post
My opinion from game one. I know that it's early, but I'm very excited. The grade relates to stats, ice time, and improvement over last season.
My changes:

Coburn - B+
Leighton - C
Walker - C-
Guerin - C-

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:26 PM
BringBackStevens

JVR and Bob were the bright spots of the game, in my opinion

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:53 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
JVR and Bob were the bright spots of the game, in my opinion
I thought about it, and this is who I was particularly happy with (outside of the everyday players like Giroux, Carter, Zherdev, Richards, Timonen, etc who weren't really question marks because we knew what to expect):

1. JVR - kid is turning into a monster
2. Coburn - words can't describe how happy i am to see him continue from his postseason
3. Bobrovsky - he's got nerves of steals, he's incredibly athletic, and most importantly he's extremely talented
4. Nodl - he still doesn't have half the sense to shoot the puck, but he's got the forechecking, physicality, boardwork, and defense ready to go

Old
09-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

i actually thoroughly enjoyed watching Nodl.

is it me, or did roo look really fast out there?

edit: and this is coming from someone who gave nodl a lot of **** last season

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:08 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Unless Nodl can get some offense down (like during yesterdays game where Giroux did a no look pass to Nodl and Nodl hit Hedbergs chest when he was a few feet away from goal) he will only be a 4th line guy.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:16 PM
jb**

funniest thread i have seen in a long time. Nerves of steel baby.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:21 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
funniest thread i have seen in a long time. Nerves of steel baby.
Actually, two things Bobrovsky was known for was not getting rattled and his incredible quickness.

Old
09-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Flyerfan4life

do you think that will stop the haters here from lamblasting leighton at every turn ???

not likely..if he goes 20 games with a solid shutout record they will still find reasons to *****/pissmoan..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Not really worth evaluating anything until about Game 20 of the regular season.

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:18 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
do you think that will stop the haters here from lamblasting leighton at every turn ???
No, he'll give us plenty of reasons to continue lambasting him.

46zone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:46 PM
decadentia

Boredom sucks. Look what it produces.

All we've learned is Bobrovsky for Vezina.....

Sample...what?

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:50 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I thought about it, and this is who I was particularly happy with (outside of the everyday players like Giroux, Carter, Zherdev, Richards, Timonen, etc who weren't really question marks because we knew what to expect):

1. JVR - kid is turning into a monster
2. Coburn - words can't describe how happy i am to see him continue from his postseason
3. Bobrovsky - he's got nerves of steals, he's incredibly athletic, and most importantly he's extremely talented
4. Nodl - he still doesn't have half the sense to shoot the puck, but he's got the forechecking, physicality, boardwork, and defense ready to go
Que?

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:50 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

I'll simply put this...

People I was unhappy with:
1. Guerin
2. Meszaros
3. Leighton
4. Shelley
5. Zherdev (pissed me off bc he was slow to get back a few times)

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:22 AM
flyersguy33*

[Mod Edit]

Quote:
Could not keep up with JVR and Briere. I suspect Guerin will get cut, but get offered a job with the club.
Also, why? Why would the Flyers give him a job with the club and why would he even take it. The guy has never played for them before last night

Last edited by Opus: 09-23-2010 at 01:02 AM. Reason: not necessary
flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 06:17 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I thought bartulis was excellent last night, and guerin was beyond horrible

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 09:15 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
Que?
I actually liked how Zherdev played also. He got alittle slower in the end, but he backchecked well the 1st two periods.

I actually thought Meszaros had a decent game also.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post

not likely..if he goes 20 games with a solid shutout record they will still find reasons to *****/pissmoan..
well, its guaranteed he will give us good reason. he just isn't very good as a starting goalie.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Cartsiephan*

Everyone should get a gold star, seriously.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:50 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Holmstrom played a solid game. Hope he gets more of a look.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote