Notices

9/22 Article Roundup - Casey and the Sellout Streak

Old
09-22-2010, 11:53 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
9/22 Article Roundup - Casey and the Sellout Streak

I want to try something new and get a bunch of smaller articles and blogs for reading pleasure since there's a bunch which are great to read but really worth their own thread. Normally this would be with some sort of daily discussion question, but I'm forgoing that today since there's still a good discussion going with the "what is the most important thing for the Wild to be successful?" question. So please comment on whether or not this works and if it's worth the time to do.

Wild tries to mold prospect in Wellman
(Russo/Strib)

Minnesota Wild's sellout streak nearing end
(Bruce Brothers/P.Press)

Coach decides it's teaching time
(Kent Youngblood & Russo/Strib)

Schultz and Brunette with Anthony LaPanta
(FSN North, video on front page)

Top hockey players look to local agents
(Discussion with Thomas Vanek's agent)

Blues v. Wild Game Preview
(Wild.com)

Wild-Blues Game Preview
(LemaireisGod/stateofhockeynews.com)

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?

Last edited by GopherState: 09-22-2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Finding more articles
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:56 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
great idea for those of us too lazy to troll the interwebs ourselves. TY.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 12:07 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

You are welcome good sir.

I think the big news out of all the articles is how nonchalant the Wild are about how the sellout streak should and will end. It's just been such a big marketing pitch for the team.

I also found this part interesting:
Quote:
There really is no pressure on continuing the sellout streak. It's a great thing to have; it's something everybody's proud of. But I have read the message boards and they've been saying, 'Well, you know, they probably haven't sold other games out.' That's not true. We have sold every game out.

"I made it clear last year, if a game's not sold out, let's call it. Let's just end this thing. And we never got to that point."

Old
09-22-2010, 12:32 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

It's weird, but I'm actually really glad to read that. It seems remarkably forthcoming, which is unusual for this organization.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 12:44 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Well after the last two seasons, it's a move the team really needed to make.

Old
09-22-2010, 12:46 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Besides, they're probably not too worried because they can still claim a regular-season sellout streak.

Old
09-22-2010, 12:58 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

That's true, although it won't be surprising if that also ends this season.

Old
09-22-2010, 01:12 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

yeah that sellout thing...I wonder if they'll stop telling us we're the greatest fans in the world now. I don't think we are--not after last year. anyone else notice the frequency of boooing has ramped up considerably in the last couple years? Pretty soon we're going to stop being fun to play in front of, then what will we have to attract free agents (besides $$$ of course)? We always had the "full house" knowledgeable hockey fan thing going for us but we're booing at stupid **** half the time now.

Old
09-22-2010, 01:19 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Well you can attract free agents with booing, unruly fans. I mean, Montreal does it every year.

Old
09-22-2010, 01:22 PM
mnwildgophers

I know that Hockey Wilderness does this too, I'd love to see something like, but it's nice because we can discuss the day's news.

I've read most of those articles already, but if you have the time to do this, I'll be reading Gopher.

What are the odds that Casey makes the team? I hope for his sake he can go down to the AHL and play top line minutes and fill in for injuries, I don't think he does any good as our 4th line winger.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 01:25 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Well you can attract free agents with booing, unruly fans. I mean, Montreal does it every year.

Old
09-22-2010, 01:37 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
I know that Hockey Wilderness does this too, I'd love to see something like, but it's nice because we can discuss the day's news.

I've read most of those articles already, but if you have the time to do this, I'll be reading Gopher.

What are the odds that Casey makes the team? I hope for his sake he can go down to the AHL and play top line minutes and fill in for injuries, I don't think he does any good as our 4th line winger.
Oh I forget that they did it too - I haven't read HW since they went nuts on Detroit. Took the idea from HF Edmonton but it's a good idea nonetheless.

I'd say that the odds are slim for Casey since he needs someone to get injured in order to stay. It's good that the Wild brass are doing the right thing with Wellman and making sure that he can try to develop properly into a top-six forward rather than stick him in whatever the new version of Boogaard Island is.

Old
09-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Jbcraig1883

Pondcast with Almond, Earl, Falk and Richards.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 02:55 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Something that always bugs me about the Pondcasts are that Falness says something in-depth and true about a player or coach, but he never asks a question which goes into that. For example, he states after the fact that Robbie Earl is trying to find a way to stick on the roster but the entire conversation glosses over that.

Old
09-22-2010, 03:39 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

wouldn't want to take the chance that Earl would come off as sounding bitter or anything.

I'm sure he's thrilled that his chances of sticking this year are pretty good, but you also have to wonder if he feels a bit put off by the fact that the Wild is essentially saying "these guys (wellman and almond) are our future so we're going to give them a lot of minutes in Houston to develop in their roles. Earl is a scrub, so we're going to let him come up and fill in for our goon when we don't need one."

Old
09-22-2010, 03:51 PM
nickschultzfan

Earl will stick with the club the moment he can prove he can maintain possession of the puck in the offensive zone.

He's fast, has a good shot, and can be physical, but he has no clue how to cycle the puck, gets over muscled on the boards, and isn't very good at getting the puck to his linemates. The whole point of the bottom lines is not to score, but to keep the puck away from the other teams top scorers, whether by playing physical, denying offensive chances, or maintaing puck possession.

But if he can't fix the flaws in his game, he's just another guy who is not talented enough for the top lines and not strong enough for the bottom lines.

That's why guys like Brodziak will be career NHLers (as he's good at keeping the puck) and guys like Earl will be fringe guys (because he coughs up the puck).

nickschultzfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:55 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
wouldn't want to take the chance that Earl would come off as sounding bitter or anything.

I'm sure he's thrilled that his chances of sticking this year are pretty good, but you also have to wonder if he feels a bit put off by the fact that the Wild is essentially saying "these guys (wellman and almond) are our future so we're going to give them a lot of minutes in Houston to develop in their roles. Earl is a scrub, so we're going to let him come up and fill in for our goon when we don't need one."
I'm sure the $$$ helps ease the pain.

Old
09-22-2010, 04:23 PM
grN1g

there is no doubt earl is going to have to adapt to the role on the team, and work even harder to prove he can take on a better one. How he handles this situation is whats going to show if he's ready to be a nhl'r with a top9 roll.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 05:15 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
yeah that sellout thing...I wonder if they'll stop telling us we're the greatest fans in the world now. I don't think we are--not after last year. anyone else notice the frequency of boooing has ramped up considerably in the last couple years? Pretty soon we're going to stop being fun to play in front of, then what will we have to attract free agents (besides $$$ of course)? We always had the "full house" knowledgeable hockey fan thing going for us but we're booing at stupid **** half the time now.
Booing at appropriate times can show that you're knowledgeable just as much as cheering can. There were a lot of things to boo last year, from the inevitable occasional shoddy officiating, to dirty hits by the other team, to, frankly, the quality of the product on the ice. I feel no qualms about booing at the Chicago game last year (not the miracle comeback, the shutout), and I don't think it makes me a less-knowledgeable fan. In fact, it would have taken an idiot to cheer for that performance.

Old
09-22-2010, 05:23 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

don't take it personally. i'm not saying you yourself booed at stupid times--just that people in general were booing at just about everything. like a bunch of retarded sheep in there--i can't tell you how many times i saw some assmunch look up from texting at the sound of boos and join right in only to ask "what happened" after everyone settled down. you weren't one of those? then don't get defensive.

if you were, then stay out of the X pls.

Old
09-22-2010, 05:29 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I think the real question rynryn is why you were spending time looking at the corpies rather than the game.

Old
09-22-2010, 05:44 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
I think the real question rynryn is why you were spending time looking at the corpies rather than the game.
some of those guys have hawt girlfriends. and it's more "glaring" than "looking".