HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2012-2013 News Around the NHL thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-14-2009, 09:24 AM
  #1
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,082
vCash: 500
2012-2013 News Around the NHL thread

This thread is for non-Panthers news that happens in the NHL, to keep people from starting a new thread for every story they personally think is "interesting"

__________________
"...and ultimately it doesn't matter."
Acadmus is offline  
Old
09-08-2010, 10:09 AM
  #2
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,082
vCash: 500
Despite the nearly year-old copied op, this is indeed our new news around the league thread.

Acadmus is offline  
Old
09-08-2010, 10:49 AM
  #3
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,740
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
To continue from our last thread, Strader/Potvin was an epic combo. How did we end up with the garbage we have now?

Rattrick is offline  
Old
09-08-2010, 11:22 AM
  #4
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 26,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
To continue from our last thread, Strader/Potvin was an epic combo. How did we end up with the garbage we have now?
Sure was, I don't think I enjoyed a Panther game more, than when they were our announcers. Strader did a great job with the play-by-play and I've always enjoyed Denis!

I'm gonna go ahead and point a finger towards the old, cheap-o owner as to why we've got this non-sense we currently have. Billy constantly got stuck mid-sentence last season and Goldie just always left him hanging.

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline  
Old
09-08-2010, 12:26 PM
  #5
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,740
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Sure was, I don't think I enjoyed a Panther game more, than when they were our announcers. Strader did a great job with the play-by-play and I've always enjoyed Denis!

I'm gonna go ahead and point a finger towards the old, cheap-o owner as to why we've got this non-sense we currently have. Billy constantly got stuck mid-sentence last season and Goldie just always left him hanging.
Goldie is just straight up wrong all the time. It's embarrassing! He says the wrong names, the wrong stats, you name it.

Rattrick is offline  
Old
09-08-2010, 05:30 PM
  #6
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 26,627
vCash: 500
Marcus Nilson is trying out for the Devils. Figured he'd finish out in Europe.

Laus723 is offline  
Old
09-08-2010, 05:31 PM
  #7
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 26,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Goldie is just straight up wrong all the time. It's embarrassing! He says the wrong names, the wrong stats, you name it.
Yep, can't stand our announcers, though, I still prefer them over some of the others out there. (I've even starting preferring Tampa's crew over ours, )

Laus723 is offline  
Old
09-08-2010, 06:27 PM
  #8
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 15,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
To continue from our last thread, Strader/Potvin was an epic combo. How did we end up with the garbage we have now?
We decided not to pay them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Yep, can't stand our announcers, though, I still prefer them over some of the others out there. (I've even starting preferring Tampa's crew over ours, )
Whaaat?? lol I wouldn't go that far.

Markstrom Rules is offline  
Old
09-08-2010, 06:32 PM
  #9
Gudbranson4Prez
Yu - Behr - Doe
 
Gudbranson4Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,508
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
We decided not to pay them.



Whaaat?? lol I wouldn't go that far.
LOL... I hate our broadcasters, but Tripp Tracy and co take the cake for most annoying lol...

Gudbranson4Prez is offline  
Old
09-08-2010, 06:36 PM
  #10
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 15,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbransson4Prez View Post
LOL... I hate our broadcasters, but Tripp Tracy and co take the cake for most annoying lol...
Oh God, don't even get me started on the Tripper. And John Forslund ain't no picnic either. "Cam Ward says no!" I'd rather listen to Fran Drescher for 24 hours straight.

Markstrom Rules is offline  
Old
09-08-2010, 08:11 PM
  #11
hoax15
Registered User
 
hoax15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S. Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Still beats Buffalo, imo.

hoax15 is offline  
Old
09-08-2010, 08:31 PM
  #12
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 26,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Oh God, don't even get me started on the Tripper. And John Forslund ain't no picnic either. "Cam Ward says no!" I'd rather listen to Fran Drescher for 24 hours straight.
Btw, I still can't stand "the doc," but our "team" is awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
Still beats Buffalo, imo.
Agreed.

Laus723 is offline  
Old
09-08-2010, 11:38 PM
  #13
KittysGotClaws
We See Red
 
KittysGotClaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: N of BB&T
Country: United States
Posts: 1,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
Still beats Buffalo, imo.
As an aspiring hockey play by play man, Rick Jeanneret is my guilty pleasure. He has undeniable passion for his team and has some of the most famous calls of all time. Granted, I have heard him get more than a few names wrong and most outsiders hate his quality of voice. I do enjoy listening to him every so often though.

As far as quality announcers, to me it's a two man race. Doc Emrick for overall excitability and skill of his craft, and Jim Hughson for general voice quality (why he's on so many video games). Those are the two I study and hope to emulate. I also like the Kings guy (Bob Miller?), the Sharks TV play by play, and Joe Beninati (I know people say his voice is fake/cheesy, but I like the quality).

In terms of my least favorite, definitely the Penguins TV guy (sounds like a dog continuously growling when he gets going), the Nashville color man (holy smokes, if you've never listened to him, you've got to - but not for too long!), and Sam Rosen (purely his voice - he's very good at calling the game). And as you guys have mentioned, there's some pretty brutal Tampa and Carolina broadcasters.

Just to be honest, I've never really liked any of our announcers, including Strader. Something about his voice annoys me. Potvin was good but also had an odd voice.

KittysGotClaws is online now  
Old
09-09-2010, 09:35 AM
  #14
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,812
vCash: 500
Jeanneret is AWESOME. Now, i know that the entire Buffalo broadcast team is homer as all hell, but you can't beat this goal call:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYh4WUqfg1U

Gives me chills every time. (not to mention the irony of him going to the Rangers the next year and sucking like crazy..)

But yeah, Strader + Potvin was easily the best announcers we've had in our history. I'm getting sick of Goldie's voice going out halfway through games, and Lindsay's constant stuttering and spitting out words before they've actually formed.

Holy Jokinen is offline  
Old
09-09-2010, 12:45 PM
  #15
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 6,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Goldie is just straight up wrong all the time. It's embarrassing! He says the wrong names, the wrong stats, you name it.
how about "offsides"? he's a joke. i haven't heard anyone worse in the league. period.

there are annoying homers but i guess i just look past that - i love honest to goodness exciting (and correct) calls, not the trumped up bullschmidt we get from goldie or got from the awful jeff rimer. jeanneret is one of best, imo. i'm sure, tho, that he's going to suffer a massive heart attack making one of those calls at some point.

zeroG is offline  
Old
09-09-2010, 12:50 PM
  #16
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 6,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittysGotClaws View Post
As an aspiring hockey play by play man, Rick Jeanneret is my guilty pleasure. He has undeniable passion for his team and has some of the most famous calls of all time. Granted, I have heard him get more than a few names wrong and most outsiders hate his quality of voice. I do enjoy listening to him every so often though.

As far as quality announcers, to me it's a two man race. Doc Emrick for overall excitability and skill of his craft, and Jim Hughson for general voice quality (why he's on so many video games). Those are the two I study and hope to emulate. I also like the Kings guy (Bob Miller?), the Sharks TV play by play, and Joe Beninati (I know people say his voice is fake/cheesy, but I like the quality).

In terms of my least favorite, definitely the Penguins TV guy (sounds like a dog continuously growling when he gets going), the Nashville color man (holy smokes, if you've never listened to him, you've got to - but not for too long!), and Sam Rosen (purely his voice - he's very good at calling the game). And as you guys have mentioned, there's some pretty brutal Tampa and Carolina broadcasters.

Just to be honest, I've never really liked any of our announcers, including Strader. Something about his voice annoys me. Potvin was good but also had an odd voice.
agree on just about all points. strader was kind of fake, tho he called a decent game. i was never a big fan of potvin. he does have an odd voice. i do like him and he always seemed genuine.

zeroG is offline  
Old
09-09-2010, 05:38 PM
  #17
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 15,554
vCash: 500
I like Jeanneret and I appreciate his uniqueness, but I can't listen to him for more than a period. It's just too annoying. Sounds like a cat in a burlap sack being beaten and drowned.

Markstrom Rules is offline  
Old
09-09-2010, 05:51 PM
  #18
RCGP
Go Panthers
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,050
vCash: 500
My favourite is Gord Miller

RCGP is offline  
Old
09-09-2010, 05:59 PM
  #19
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 15,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
My favourite is Gord Miller
He's pretty good, he's starting to get forgetful though which drops him a bit for me. My favorite is Jim Hughson.

Markstrom Rules is offline  
Old
09-10-2010, 11:30 PM
  #20
jol
Registered User
 
jol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Miami Beach, Florida
Posts: 1,504
vCash: 500
Columbus signed #4 draft pick Ryan Johansen. So now picks 1,2,4 have been signed, what about #3?

JOL

jol is offline  
Old
09-11-2010, 12:52 AM
  #21
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!
 
JP Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 4,491
vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
Columbus signed #4 draft pick Ryan Johansen. So now picks 1,2,4 have been signed, what about #3?

JOL
Not sure why Columbus signed him so early, I'ts not like he's going to jump right in the NHL like Hall and maybe Seguin. We will sign Guds when the time is right, he's not going anywhere.

JP Mick is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 08:52 PM
  #22
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker
 
Desert Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Frisco, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 2,223
vCash: 500
Looks like Ryan is off the market .. TSN reporting 5yrs / $25.5MM

Desert Panther is offline  
Old
09-17-2010, 12:42 PM
  #23
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,633
vCash: 500
Dreger reported that Savard is suffering post concussion symptoms. Good thing we didn't trade for him (even though we probably weren't ever going to).

RainingRats is offline  
Old
09-20-2010, 09:20 AM
  #24
Weiwuer
 
Weiwuer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 124
vCash: 500
Penguins have signed Ray Shero to a five-year contract extension as executive vice president and general manager.

Weiwuer is offline  
Old
09-22-2010, 06:49 PM
  #25
Montsy14
Registered User
 
Montsy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,583
vCash: 50
Looks like Horton scored on his first shift of the pre-season...

Montsy14 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.