HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2012-2013 News Around the NHL thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Acadmus

vCash: 500
2012-2013 News Around the NHL thread

This thread is for non-Panthers news that happens in the NHL, to keep people from starting a new thread for every story they personally think is "interesting"

09-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Acadmus

Despite the nearly year-old copied op, this is indeed our new news around the league thread.

Old
09-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
To continue from our last thread, Strader/Potvin was an epic combo. How did we end up with the garbage we have now?

Old
09-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
To continue from our last thread, Strader/Potvin was an epic combo. How did we end up with the garbage we have now?
Sure was, I don't think I enjoyed a Panther game more, than when they were our announcers. Strader did a great job with the play-by-play and I've always enjoyed Denis!

I'm gonna go ahead and point a finger towards the old, cheap-o owner as to why we've got this non-sense we currently have. Billy constantly got stuck mid-sentence last season and Goldie just always left him hanging.

09-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Sure was, I don't think I enjoyed a Panther game more, than when they were our announcers. Strader did a great job with the play-by-play and I've always enjoyed Denis!

I'm gonna go ahead and point a finger towards the old, cheap-o owner as to why we've got this non-sense we currently have. Billy constantly got stuck mid-sentence last season and Goldie just always left him hanging.
Goldie is just straight up wrong all the time. It's embarrassing! He says the wrong names, the wrong stats, you name it.

Old
09-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Marcus Nilson is trying out for the Devils. Figured he'd finish out in Europe.

Old
09-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Goldie is just straight up wrong all the time. It's embarrassing! He says the wrong names, the wrong stats, you name it.
Yep, can't stand our announcers, though, I still prefer them over some of the others out there. (I've even starting preferring Tampa's crew over ours, )

Old
09-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
We decided not to pay them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Yep, can't stand our announcers, though, I still prefer them over some of the others out there. (I've even starting preferring Tampa's crew over ours, )
Whaaat?? lol I wouldn't go that far.

Old
09-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Gudbranson4Prez
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
We decided not to pay them.

Whaaat?? lol I wouldn't go that far.
LOL... I hate our broadcasters, but Tripp Tracy and co take the cake for most annoying lol...

Old
09-08-2010, 06:36 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbransson4Prez View Post
LOL... I hate our broadcasters, but Tripp Tracy and co take the cake for most annoying lol...
Oh God, don't even get me started on the Tripper. And John Forslund ain't no picnic either. "Cam Ward says no!" I'd rather listen to Fran Drescher for 24 hours straight.

Old
09-08-2010, 08:11 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Still beats Buffalo, imo.

Old
09-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Oh God, don't even get me started on the Tripper. And John Forslund ain't no picnic either. "Cam Ward says no!" I'd rather listen to Fran Drescher for 24 hours straight.
Btw, I still can't stand "the doc," but our "team" is awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
Agreed.

Old
09-08-2010, 11:38 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
As an aspiring hockey play by play man, Rick Jeanneret is my guilty pleasure. He has undeniable passion for his team and has some of the most famous calls of all time. Granted, I have heard him get more than a few names wrong and most outsiders hate his quality of voice. I do enjoy listening to him every so often though.

As far as quality announcers, to me it's a two man race. Doc Emrick for overall excitability and skill of his craft, and Jim Hughson for general voice quality (why he's on so many video games). Those are the two I study and hope to emulate. I also like the Kings guy (Bob Miller?), the Sharks TV play by play, and Joe Beninati (I know people say his voice is fake/cheesy, but I like the quality).

In terms of my least favorite, definitely the Penguins TV guy (sounds like a dog continuously growling when he gets going), the Nashville color man (holy smokes, if you've never listened to him, you've got to - but not for too long!), and Sam Rosen (purely his voice - he's very good at calling the game). And as you guys have mentioned, there's some pretty brutal Tampa and Carolina broadcasters.

Just to be honest, I've never really liked any of our announcers, including Strader. Something about his voice annoys me. Potvin was good but also had an odd voice.

Old
09-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Holy Jokinen

Jeanneret is AWESOME. Now, i know that the entire Buffalo broadcast team is homer as all hell, but you can't beat this goal call:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYh4WUqfg1U

Gives me chills every time. (not to mention the irony of him going to the Rangers the next year and sucking like crazy..)

But yeah, Strader + Potvin was easily the best announcers we've had in our history. I'm getting sick of Goldie's voice going out halfway through games, and Lindsay's constant stuttering and spitting out words before they've actually formed.

Old
09-09-2010, 12:45 PM
zeroG

Quote:
how about "offsides"? he's a joke. i haven't heard anyone worse in the league. period.

there are annoying homers but i guess i just look past that - i love honest to goodness exciting (and correct) calls, not the trumped up bullschmidt we get from goldie or got from the awful jeff rimer. jeanneret is one of best, imo. i'm sure, tho, that he's going to suffer a massive heart attack making one of those calls at some point.

Old
09-09-2010, 12:50 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittysGotClaws View Post
As an aspiring hockey play by play man, Rick Jeanneret is my guilty pleasure. He has undeniable passion for his team and has some of the most famous calls of all time. Granted, I have heard him get more than a few names wrong and most outsiders hate his quality of voice. I do enjoy listening to him every so often though.

As far as quality announcers, to me it's a two man race. Doc Emrick for overall excitability and skill of his craft, and Jim Hughson for general voice quality (why he's on so many video games). Those are the two I study and hope to emulate. I also like the Kings guy (Bob Miller?), the Sharks TV play by play, and Joe Beninati (I know people say his voice is fake/cheesy, but I like the quality).

In terms of my least favorite, definitely the Penguins TV guy (sounds like a dog continuously growling when he gets going), the Nashville color man (holy smokes, if you've never listened to him, you've got to - but not for too long!), and Sam Rosen (purely his voice - he's very good at calling the game). And as you guys have mentioned, there's some pretty brutal Tampa and Carolina broadcasters.

Just to be honest, I've never really liked any of our announcers, including Strader. Something about his voice annoys me. Potvin was good but also had an odd voice.
agree on just about all points. strader was kind of fake, tho he called a decent game. i was never a big fan of potvin. he does have an odd voice. i do like him and he always seemed genuine.

Old
09-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

I like Jeanneret and I appreciate his uniqueness, but I can't listen to him for more than a period. It's just too annoying. Sounds like a cat in a burlap sack being beaten and drowned.

Old
09-09-2010, 05:51 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

My favourite is Gord Miller

Old
09-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
My favourite is Gord Miller
He's pretty good, he's starting to get forgetful though which drops him a bit for me. My favorite is Jim Hughson.

Old
09-10-2010, 11:30 PM
jol

Columbus signed #4 draft pick Ryan Johansen. So now picks 1,2,4 have been signed, what about #3?

JOL

Old
09-11-2010, 12:52 AM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
Columbus signed #4 draft pick Ryan Johansen. So now picks 1,2,4 have been signed, what about #3?

JOL
Not sure why Columbus signed him so early, I'ts not like he's going to jump right in the NHL like Hall and maybe Seguin. We will sign Guds when the time is right, he's not going anywhere.

Old
09-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Looks like Ryan is off the market .. TSN reporting 5yrs / $25.5MM

Old
09-17-2010, 12:42 PM
RainingRats

Dreger reported that Savard is suffering post concussion symptoms. Good thing we didn't trade for him (even though we probably weren't ever going to).

Old
09-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Weiwuer

Penguins have signed Ray Shero to a five-year contract extension as executive vice president and general manager.

Old
09-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
Looks like Horton scored on his first shift of the pre-season...

Closed Thread