HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stuck it to the *******s at Drop In today

Old
09-22-2010, 03:56 PM
pass the bisk

vCash: 500
Stuck it to the *******s at Drop In today

Sorry for the length, but this is just a quick story from what happened at drop in today.

Okay so today I was back at home and I had to keep the legs going so I went to drop in at my local rink. (Just a note: for those who didn't see the thread about shooting, I play in the O. Keep that in mind during this story) Anyway, I got there a little early so I could get out there before anyone else and warm up a bit. There was one other kid out there, probably around 15 or 16 and I was talking to him a little before it started. He told me that he had only played ice hockey a couple times and was not very good so he was trying to develop his game (I can respect that). For being a beginner, he wasn't awful, but for the other guys that showed up a didn't know he was a beginner, it probably looked really bad. We started off on opposite teams, I had a light jersey, he had a dark. Within the first ten minutes he made some bad plays like losing the puck in his skates or making a bad pass. Also had some trouble receiving passes. At about the 15 minute mark he left a guy alone in the defensive zone alone and he got an easy goal in front of the net. After that, the older guys on his team were ruthless. They were picking on him like every shift. I couldn't understand it. I mean for gods sake its drop in!!! People go to have fun. The overall talent level was probably C league. I skated through everybody with ease. About 45 minutes in it got really bad. He sent a pass out of the zone with got intercepted and one of his teammates erupted. He started yelling about the pass and you could tell the kid was getting upset. At that point, I went to the dressing room, grabbed an extra dark jersey I had then came back out and offered if he wanted to join our team. It took him all of about one second to say yes lol. From that point on I made it a mission to get that kid some goals. I told him to stick by me and get to the net and he would score. I then went to the rest of my team and said that if he scores we gotta celly to make the other team look bad. Everyone agreed haha. So the puck was in our d-zone. The kid was up at the blue line, I was down by the net. Puck came down behind the goal I picked it up and took off. I got through everybody and had a clear break with just me and the kid. I put a move on the tender, sent him to the other side of the net, then just dropped it and he tapped it in. My whole team then proceeded to jump up and down like school girls and we basically had five Alexander Ovechkins jumping into the boards and congratulating him. It was effing hilarious. The other older guys on the other team were pissed.

To wrap it up, by the end of drop in, this kid had about five or six goals and you better believe we chirped the guy on the other team after every single one.

Last edited by Fugu: 09-23-2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: title circumvents filter
pass the bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Ozolinsh_27

Nice story - that kid musta been loving it!

I hate jerks who make beginners feel crappy

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 04:12 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

It is those kind of people that scare other beginners off and prevent them from getting better. Good on you for teaching him a lesson.

ChiTownHawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 04:14 PM
blueberrydanish

Nothin worse than abuncha asshats at a drop-in...some people just need to get a clue. Nicely done man, big props!

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 04:16 PM
fearitself

Classy move bud. Im usually the most advanced player out at our local casual hockey and I get my kicks by setting up the beginners. Im sure you can agree it can be much more challenging than actually scoring.

fearitself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

vCash: 50
Great story! I've never seen people be like that at a drop in, good on you to shut em up.

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 04:18 PM
DJnet65

Awesome story it's always good to see players who look out for beginners and help them out.

DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Brodeur

Kudos, always have a ton of respect for the advanced players who helped out beginners rather than try to shame them off the ice.

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 04:27 PM
pass the bisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozolinsh_27 View Post
Nice story - that kid musta been loving it!

I hate jerks who make beginners feel crappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
It is those kind of people that scare other beginners off and prevent them from getting better. Good on you for teaching him a lesson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Nothin worse than abuncha asshats at a drop-in...some people just need to get a clue. Nicely done man, big props!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Ice View Post
Great story! I've never seen people be like that at a drop in, good on you to shut em up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJnet65 View Post
Awesome story it's always good to see players who look out for beginners and help them out.
Thanks guys! You know hockey is the best game on earth and I can't understand why people would tear down somebody who would want to learn how to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearitself View Post
Classy move bud. Im usually the most advanced player out at our local casual hockey and I get my kicks by setting up the beginners. Im sure you can agree it can be much more challenging than actually scoring.
Yeah I know what you mean. It definately helps with a beginnning players confidence too. Interestingly enough though he wasn't that bad. If he works on his game he could be a solid player. It was just a lot of little things like receiving and making passes and awareness. That kind of stuff you can fix easily.

pass the bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 05:05 PM
AIREAYE

Def classy move props to you. But just make sure there are some people that will take offense when you guys 'exaggerate' a celly in his name, another person might find it embarrassing. Just a heads up that not all people are like the kid you helped, but its great you did what you did

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 05:08 PM
noobman

Good job, buddy!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 05:23 PM
ponder

Nicely done! And I always find it funny how the over competitive, super ****** bags at the pickup/beer league level are always pretty terrible at hockey themselves. It's always hilarious watching these guys rip on their beginner teammates one shift, then their next shift let lose some 20 km/hr slapshot that bounces off the ice before making it to the net.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Z-Diddy

Good stuff, I was a little worried about the thread title at first but this was great! Being more of a beginner myself I wish this type of teammate wasn't the minority rather the majority in beer league or drop in shinny

Z-Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 05:42 PM
beth

You are awesome. He's going to remember that kindness his whole life.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:04 PM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

vCash: 555
When I read the title I was thinking "Guy 1 is cocky, Guy 2 is pissed. Proceed to chirping then guy two punches him". But this was good. I've met my fair share of A-Holes in drop in, heck a 8 year old kid kept trying to check me and was chirping me (i hit him back and the mother freaked.). Also you have the rep players with the holier than thou attitude. You'll have the average or worse players make a few mistakes and then the "elitest" players will go *******. I went to a drop-in after my knee surgury, first time on the ice since. I slipped up and the guy scored on a breakaway, needless to say I switched teams because a guy offered. I proceeded to flipping the guy who chirped me over when he came to me, he didn't say anything to me after lol.

anyways Kudo's to you.

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:26 PM
dpixel8

Very cool what you guys did. I hate ******** like that. Everyone started somewhere.

dpixel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:56 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Good job! Im not the best player.... but whenever someone makes fun of me I like slash um or hit them... Maybe thats why I spend lots of time in the Penelty box....

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Frankie Spankie

Such an awesome story!! You made that kid's miserable experience at a game into one he's not going to forget.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:58 PM
FiveAndGame

Nothing worse than a player who thinks he is the sh-t at drop in hockey. Classy move.

FiveAndGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:14 PM
akalaM

Great story!

akalaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Pog Form

This thread makes me happy.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:35 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Good **** man, you're a stand-up guy!

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I appreciate what you did. Good work man!

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:33 PM
clefty
What a nice fella

The only problem I've ever had with people at drop in scrimmages is guys taking five minute shifts.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:51 PM
sbkbghockey

It's always important to remember we once were like that, many as kids but some as adults too. I don't ever mind beginners at pick up hockey, one rink near me has a night of advanced pickup so it's full of ex and current minor pro, jr, major jr, and college guys. the other i frequent is less competitive and there's usually a large mix of experience.

The last time I was in the lockers and the guy dressing next to me looked nervous, so I complimented his brand new looking skates and found it was his first time at pick up hockey and he's only been to a few stick-and-puck sessions. I told him that everyone is pretty excepting and just do what you've learned so far.

Turns out the guy was a pretty good skater and actually blended in the lower quality regulars I've seen lots of times. He was hungry for the puck and not a bad shot. I made sure to set him up for a few goals and when we got back to the bench always tried to point out at least 2 or 3 things he did well for every 1 thing I gave him some pointers for.

Our sport is still a relatively small sport compared to football and baseball (in the US). It’s important to grow the game. If I or the others out there were a jerk to the guy, it’s questionable he’d be back. He might think all hockey players are a**holes and give up on the sport, going to pro games, etc… If he has kids someday and the kid wants to play hockey he might remember his experiences with jerks at open hockey and strongly suggest the kid plays baseball instead…

With kindness and some positive reinforcement the opposite could happen and his kid could become the next great NHL player!

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote