Notices

Fredrik Modin signs with Atlanta- 1 year deal

Closed Thread

Old
09-06-2010, 12:52 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

vCash: 500
Big strong player. Hits often and hard. 30-40 points. Hardest shot on earth. Veteran.

Modin-Burmistrov-Byfuglien

perfect 3-line..

Old
09-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Hawksfan12*

Damn, wanted him

Nice Signing, and maybe you guys make the PO's, because if you do you will be a Handfull with Buff imo

Old
09-06-2010, 06:44 PM
joe89

Glad he got a job. He recieved so much bashing around these boards for making the Olympics team, but frankly was one of the few that walked away with some pride.. Also did well in the playoffs considering his role. So a good depth/locker room guy!

Old
09-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post

Could be a bargain if Modin can stay healthy.
This is what worries me. I don't think he can remain healthy. He's played in 117 games over the last 3 seasons. Normally, that would worry me, but with a guy who will be 36 in a month, it stands out as a red flag.

I'd much rather have seen RD sign a guy who will play more consistently. Whatever depth Modin was signed to provide becomes a weakness as soon as he gets hurt.

Another project signing.

Old
09-07-2010, 04:30 PM
PHYS251

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
From article, using headsigh's really bad translation skills:
Good signing. This is a small touch-up, but this team gets just a little better with him here. Modin isn't nearly the scoring threat he used to be--look at his stats--but I, too, think he should work well on the 3rd or maybe 4th line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
It's because we don't have a definite goal scorer (not sure why he's including Bergfors for a trade though). It was great to add all this size and toughness, but we have huge "maybes" in the lamp lighting department.
IMO it's better to have two lines full of 25-goal scorers than to have one 50-goal scorer. That was one of the problems with Kovy: Teams could put their best defenseman on him and leave the rest of the mostly mediocre scorers to pick up the slack. By contrast, if they try that on a balanced team, they'd shut one guy down but leave the other with pretty good chances.

But hey, don't look at me: The Blackhawks had six players with 20+ goals last year, but their top goal-scorer only got 30. Not saying that we're necessarily Cup contenders--although we could well be--but that balanced scoring tends to be key to a deep playoff run.

Old
09-09-2010, 04:42 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
This is what worries me. I don't think he can remain healthy. He's played in 117 games over the last 3 seasons. Normally, that would worry me, but with a guy who will be 36 in a month, it stands out as a red flag.

I'd much rather have seen RD sign a guy who will play more consistently. Whatever depth Modin was signed to provide becomes a weakness as soon as he gets hurt.

Another project signing.
I'm pretty certain Ramsay influenced this deal. I mean, that's not a bad thing. He knows Modin inside and out, from coaching him during the (gag) Tampa Bay cup run in 04.

Perhaps he knows something we don't, or he just want some of "his guys" to set the tone.

Old
09-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Shameus

LINK

Good read. Modin seems to have chosen the Thrashers for comfort reasons. But I still like where his head is at.

Quote:
Modin, who signed a one-year, $800,000-plus-bonuses contract this month, said he picked the Thrashers from several offers to be reunited with Dudley, Ramsay and associate coach John Torchetti, who all worked together in Tampa Bay.
Quote:
“I’m going to do anything I can to help the team, whether it’s passing to someone else or getting goals myself,” Modin said. “That’s the mindset I’ve had for 14 years. We’ll see where it takes me and where it takes the team.”

Old
09-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boognish View Post

Another project signing.
if we had a clear lack of solid third liners i would be worried too, but as it stands even if he did have an injury we have a couple guys that would be ready to fill the void.

Old
09-22-2010, 08:10 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
if we had a clear lack of solid third liners i would be worried too, but as it stands even if he did have an injury we have a couple guys that would be ready to fill the void.
yep.

low-risk high-reward signing. best case, he mentors one of our 900 swedes and chips in around 10-15 goals while being pretty good defensively.

Closed Thread