HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I want to start playing again after ~4 years away from hockey...any advice?

Old
09-22-2010, 05:47 PM
on a wire

vCash: 500
I want to start playing again after ~4 years away from hockey...any advice?

Hey guys, like the thread title says, I'm looking to starting playing again after about four years away from hockey...the only problem is I don't really know where to start now!

I'm 21 and played in 'A' level travel leagues from when I was 8 or 9 until I was 17 (midget major). By my senior year of HS I developed a lot of interests other than hockey and (regrettably) stopped playing. Now after a few years away from the game, I'm dying to get back to playing again. Unfortunately, I don't really know anyone who plays anymore so I'm kind of lost as to how I should get back in the game.

I was just wondering if anyone here has been in a similar situation, and what the best way to start playing again would be (pick up games maybe?). I haven't skated since I last played so I know that I'm going to be incredibly rusty. I'm not in terrible shape at all, but definitely not in hockey shape.

Any advice from people who have been in a situation similar to this, and what you did to get back to playing would be awesome. sorry for the long post. thanks!

on a wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:32 PM
nullterm

Go to a stick n puck to get re-acquainted, then hit a drop in session. Once you get going, you won't stop.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:40 PM
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Go to a stick n puck to get re-acquainted, then hit a drop in session. Once you get going, you won't stop.
This. Good luck on starting up again!

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Badger36

Go to a public skate, get your skating tuned back up. Then go to stick and puck and get your stickhandling and shooting tuned back up. Then find where in your area there is an open hockey league and have fun.
I think you'll be surprised at how quickly you find your game again. Its just like riding a bike: once you learn, you never forget.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:42 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Same as last posters, no use typing more than that!

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:58 PM
DA 17

Like everybody else said, just go back. Best thing i ever did was go back to playing.

DA 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Ditto. Best thing I ever did was start playing again after a 6 year break.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:58 PM
WhooFleuryScores

start with public skate, retape ur stick and practice with a golf ball (if u can't find puck time) get to some novice games, listen to some motivational speeches, and then hit the ice and imitate ur fav player. From there u'll get the feel again.

WhooFleuryScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:01 AM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhooFleuryScores View Post
start with public skate, retape ur stick and practice with a golf ball (if u can't find puck time) get to some novice games, listen to some motivational speeches, and then hit the ice and imitate ur fav player. From there u'll get the feel again.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:01 AM
timekeep

Stretch, I went back off a long lay off to play a father/son game a couple of years ago. I am not in great physical condition and just did a couple of stretches on the ice as I thought it would be low key. But it got competitive of course and I was paying for it for the next few days.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 05:24 PM
weedsnager

i started playin back in february after an 18 year break, (38 now) you can ride an excercise bike and work out at home , but nothing will get you in shape faster then actual skating, at you age it won't take you long to get back in the swing of things, it took me a couple of months!

weedsnager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhooFleuryScores View Post
Good advice. Start against the 7-8 year old's and work your way up.

(Canadians will get it)

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 09:38 PM
biturbo19

I went through almost the same sort of situation as you. Although i went from playing goal, to being a skater while i did it. eeek. But the same sort of thing, where the politics of the local hockey scene just burned me out, and other interests took over. Then got the itch to start up again a few years later.

I started off with a few public skates just to get a feel for it again. from there, i spent about a year just going to some really casual drop-in shinny sessions and playing along with some of my old hockey buddies who had gone on to junior and such whenever i got a chance. some real time on outdoor rinks as well, just playing around with the puck to get a feel for that again too.

I then found an adult development camp that i think did a lot for me. just having people around to bounce stupid questions off of, and ask for honest opinions of what and how i could improve. it's kind of humbling, but i'm so glad i did it. getting feedback from very competent players is so valuable i think. so i'd suggest looking around for something like that for sure. you might want to start by looking around at what your local university/college offers, if there is one.

since then i've been playing in all sorts of different stuff, beer leagues, rec leagues, continued skating with old buddies who played junior to continue to challenge myself, anything i can get into really...i'm completely and totally hooked again. but don't overlook your old teammates as a resource for finding opportunities to play.

now about that nasty 'conditioning' issue...lol. skating with guys who spent time in junior a or major junior really drives home the difference in conditioning between me...and guys who are in game shape and didn't take time off. that is by far the most difficult aspect to get back IMO.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 08:39 AM
on a wire

Thanks for all the advice guys! I've been shooting pucks around/stickhandling in my driveway a lot for the past couple months and and I'm feeling really comfortable with my shot and stickhandling again which is obviously a good thing. I went to a local rink and found out when they have stick time and it looks like I'll be back on the ice in a week or two!

Now I just need to keep up with running/going to the gym, and hopefully when i get back on the ice I won't be totally out of it....let's just hope I didn't forget how to skate. I'm really excited to get out there and start playing, thanks again for the kind words guys. later!

on a wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 08:42 AM
Pierre Gotye

As others said go to drop-ins or stick and pucks.

Meet people, make an impression. Ask guys if they can get you in other their roster. Or go the free-agents route.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote