HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bobrovsky baptism of fire, give it to him Now!

Old
09-23-2010, 02:17 AM
SgtJoseph

vCash: 500
Bobrovsky baptism of fire, give it to him Now!

This cat ain't no ordinary ROOKIE, Anybody that knows anything about hockey goal tending can see that this cat has the right stuff period !I have watched a few more videos of him from over in Russia etc and its obvious he has the right skill set to be an excellent net minder in the NHL.I say throw him to the wolves and give him a legit shot, if he faulters he can then use the AHL to get his game in tun.
His lateral movement is quick and precise, beautiful balance, glove hand is always up and open [ not laying on his hip], and he is very quick in every way an NHL goalie needs to be quick.I will betcha Mr Reese is giddy getting to work with this Gem ! I live in Northwest Fla and have not got to see any of the pre season or rookie camp games, But i hope he gets a fair shot to show his skills and maybe he can earn a spot in the big show this season. I say throw him to the wolves and give em a shot, he is not your typical ROOKIE from the OHL or ECHL etc, Not by a longshot !I like this cat !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 02:19 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Me too man.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 02:44 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Yes!! 7 saves in a preseason game, plus 3/4 in the shootout! The Vezina is all but his!!!

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 03:06 AM
Stockholm Syndrome

Let him get some more time in net. Even if he doesn't allow a single goal, send him to the Phantoms. If he continues to do good there, then maybe, MAYBE call him up.

Don't underestimate simple experience and playing time. He simply doesn't have enough of it yet to make an objective judgement.

He did look great for the very limited time we got to see him.

Stockholm Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 03:25 AM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
This cat?!

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 03:44 AM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholm Syndrome View Post
Let him get some more time in net.
Even if he doesn't allow a single goal, send him to the Phantoms.
I agree, and he will get some more time. That is fact.
Now for the rest of what you said..
... Why on Earth would anyone do that? What is not broken, do not attempt to fix. If he post a 100SV%/0GAA, why would you not let him start in the NHL? Even if it is preseason.

I get it, preseason is for players to get their game back, and to see if some youngsters (or Bill Guerin's) have what it takes to make their respective NHL club's roster. But.... Lappy still dives in front of pucks in preseason, Zherdev took a hit to make a play, and players still bring a lot to the table. Specially those fighting for a roster spot. I think people are really taking this preseason thing lightly when it comes to discussing Bobrovsky, it's still an NHL exhibition game. If I got a young goalie who has shown in another adult prime hockey league that he has the skills, and comes into my league posting good numbers.. I'm giving him the shot he deserves.

And I understand the reasoning for sending him to the AHL, to get him more adjusted. But I also believe that can kill confidence as much as build it. If he looks better than any other goalie on our roster, then he is my go to guy. No better practice than preseason games. I'm sure Reese can build his game more during the season just like he did with Leighton.

That is just my personal take on it. I'm not saying he will post great numbers, this is just a response to the quote.

Now for my own personal statement on the topic at hand, I hope Bob does well. In fact I hope he does so well, he is named started by Christmas(so Santa can leave me a Bobrovsky jersey under the tree for December 25th).

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 04:30 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Look if the guy lights up pre-season, and shows up the other goaltenders, then give him the backup spot on the NHL roster. If he looks anything under par compared to our other keepers, then he starts in the AHL.

Talking about denting his confidence if he has to play in the AHL, yeah because you are all NHL talented netminders right. It's because of the attitude of throw them into the fire, that we have ruined a couple of guys careers. For god sake, be a little ****ing patient once in your lives.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 06:54 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

Year in the AHL please.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 07:35 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I'm on the fence. A year in the A gets him used to the NA game. BUT if he excels and is ready now why make him play in a worse league than he played in the last 3 years? What we learned in his little stint was how skilled he is. Now we need to determine how READY he is. I suspect he needs AHL time but put him in some games now and see what he can handle.

He reminds me a little of one of those hermit crabs who is always protecting his home from other crabs. He kind of hides in the net and skitters around. He must be a hard guy to know where to shoot on because he changes his stance 20 times a second. I think Chris described him as "squirrely" . Either way he's got the stuff.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Stockholm Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeany View Post
I agree, and he will get some more time. That is fact.
Now for the rest of what you said..
... Why on Earth would anyone do that? What is not broken, do not attempt to fix. If he post a 100SV%/0GAA, why would you not let him start in the NHL? Even if it is preseason.

I get it, preseason is for players to get their game back, and to see if some youngsters (or Bill Guerin's) have what it takes to make their respective NHL club's roster. But.... Lappy still dives in front of pucks in preseason, Zherdev took a hit to make a play, and players still bring a lot to the table. Specially those fighting for a roster spot. I think people are really taking this preseason thing lightly when it comes to discussing Bobrovsky, it's still an NHL exhibition game. If I got a young goalie who has shown in another adult prime hockey league that he has the skills, and comes into my league posting good numbers.. I'm giving him the shot he deserves.

And I understand the reasoning for sending him to the AHL, to get him more adjusted. But I also believe that can kill confidence as much as build it. If he looks better than any other goalie on our roster, then he is my go to guy. No better practice than preseason games. I'm sure Reese can build his game more during the season just like he did with Leighton.

That is just my personal take on it. I'm not saying he will post great numbers, this is just a response to the quote.

Now for my own personal statement on the topic at hand, I hope Bob does well. In fact I hope he does so well, he is named started by Christmas(so Santa can leave me a Bobrovsky jersey under the tree for December 25th).
I agree. We shouldn't try to repair what isn't broken.

But that's just it. A few preseason periods of netminding against a majority of NHL tryouts does not a sound judgement make. We have no idea how he's going to play. He has exactly one period of experience plus a shootout thus far.

I'm all for throwing him into the fire. The only problem with that is he doesn't have his flame-resistant suit on. Yet.

Old
09-23-2010, 07:52 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholm Syndrome View Post
I agree. We shouldn't try to repair what isn't broken.

But that's just it. A few preseason periods of netminding against a majority of NHL tryouts does not a sound judgement make. We have no idea how he's going to play. He has exactly one period of experience plus a shootout thus far.

I'm all for throwing him into the fire. The only problem with that is he doesn't have his flame-resistant suit on. Yet.
If you're wearing a flame retardant suit, doesn't that kind of cheapen a baptism of fire?

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 07:56 AM
jb**

He has nerves of steel. Thats all you need.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 08:00 AM
Stockholm Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
If you're wearing a flame retardant suit, doesn't that kind of cheapen a baptism of fire?
Only if a baptism of fire is someone being baptised. With fire.

Old
09-23-2010, 08:04 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
You gotta let him have at least a month or so in the A. He has to get used to the speed and size of NA hockey. If he shines in Adirondack, ok bring him up, but definitely shouldn't start the season on the FLyers and even more so shouldn't start as the starter.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 08:21 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
i'd rather give him AHL time first, at least half a season.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Flyskippy

I'd rather he be rushed to the NHL so that he can be yet another in a long line of young players who had so much promise but burned out because they were not allowed to mature properly. [/sarcasm]

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 08:35 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
True, but I would REALLY love to see him edge out Boucher.

However, in my head I know a year of Leighton/Boucher makes sense while giving Bob a year in the AHL IF HE CAN START.

We kinda have Backlund though. What do we do with him?

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Exactly. Whether his game might be ready, given his age and experience he is, like college four year grads like Holmstrom or Testwuide, older than JVR and Giroux and all the rest of the 'just out of Jr.' prospects.

However, he has never lived in N.America, doesn't speak English and could use some time to adapt to the game here - whether he 'needs' it right away or not.

If a baptism by fire turns into 3rd degree burns and deep psychological trauma a month in, what has been accomplished? You damage a good prospect by ruining his confidence.

Leighton and Boosh will play well enough for the Flyers to get off to a good start.

Given recent history, we might need to call a goalie up at some point.

Why not wait until we need someone and see whether Bob or Back is more ready for the call up at that time?

If it turns out that Bob adjusts quickly and dominates the AHL, he can force them to give him a chance with the big club. If not, a year there won't hurt his development.

Last edited by Larry44: 09-23-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
True, but I would REALLY love to see him edge out Boucher.

However, in my head I know a year of Leighton/Boucher makes sense while giving Bob a year in the AHL IF HE CAN START.

I think letting him heal 100% and not 80% - 90% this time would be a good start to the season. Then, he can platoon w/ Bob the Goalie.

Old
09-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Cartsiephan*

WTF is wrong with people? Bobrovsky goes to the AHL for at least half the season if not all season, maybe Backlund wins a backup job and Boucher can help mentor Bobrovsky but the kids needs to acclimate to the NA hockey and culture. Twenty minutes of hockey and a shootout and people are pitching tent already, please stop.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Let him compete with Bobrovsky. He might surprise and outplay Bob, in which case, he'll have earned the right to first call up.

I would be very happy if Bob is 'The Answer' but it's up to him.

Old
09-23-2010, 08:55 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Can we retire his number while he's still wearing it?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I think there is an NHL rule that you have face 10 shots in preseason before your number can be retired.

Old
09-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Better do it now. He's going into the Flyers Hall of Fame on 9/29. Might as well have the arena crew put up both (number and FHOF) banners at the same time.

Old
09-23-2010, 08:56 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I'm not for the baptism by fire....we've stunted a lot of player's development like that. Zubrus comes to mind as far as coming in too early among others. However, if the guy shines and outplays the other 3 "backups" then you have to reward the guy and maybe let him start the first 10 games. Kind of like a Sbisa situation. Ultimately, he needs playing time and lots of it no matter what. He'll get that in the AHL and the only way he gets it with the big boys is if both Leighton and Boucher crap the bed. Backlund also will be a factor and actually I would prefer he swipes a job from Leighton or Boosh over Bob. I'd rather see Bob come up in the second half. All the hype over Bob might be a bit much but I do think he's got tremendous upside and it's kind of a sad testament to our goaltending situation that he may actually make Leighton and Boosh work harder to keep their jobs. It's not sad b/c Bob stinks..it's sad that you have two backups still looking like question marks as starters..particularly Leighton after the first game! Backlund doesn't count just yet as he hasn't been given a chance to prove himself in the NHL because of injuries.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote