HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sean Avery a goner?

Old
09-23-2010, 06:41 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Sean Avery a goner?

Rick Carpinello

Quote:
The next part of the equation is, if Avery is not in Tortorella’s plans, what do you do with him? No other team in the league wanted any part of him at half price last time he went through waivers. And now he’s coming off a bad year. You could dump him to Hartford, theoretically.

I am just not sure where No. 16 fits, especially if Tortorella isn’t convinced that Avery had figured out where the line is, and how and when he can cross it. Because if he can’t play that way, then he’s surely expendable.

And if he leaves, the Rangers will surely have trouble finding the things he can bring when he’s right. I’ll tell you something else. The fans love Avery. But the Rangers have one of the rare coaches who really doesn’t care what the fans think.

I don’t think it’s far fetched. Do you?
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2010/0...gers+Report%29

Quote:
Among the wings, Sean Avery has had a very strong camp, but the Rangers' plans for him remain unclear. Norwegian phenom Mats Zuccarello, gritty Brandon Prust and veteran tryout candidate Ruslan Fedotenko - a Tortorella favorite - also are competing for spots
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...#ixzz10Ls9vItE

Larry Brooks wrote a few days ago about Avery and Redden not being used with any of the regular players or players who should make the team.

The Rangers can't trade Avery. Which team wants him after the spectacle in made of himself with the Stars? If the Rangers trade him,the entire cap hit goes to the trading team. Not 1/2 like now from re-entry waivers. He will be a pain in the ass in Hartford. No other AHL team will take him. The Rangers won't put him on re-entry waivers if he is claimed because they'll be stuck with 1/2 of the cap hit when he is playing for another team. Stars would be off the hook in that scenario.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 06:56 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

the norwegian midget can start the year in hartford and get acclimated to the north america game. as ive said all along, hes gonna struggle. this aint the sel folks.

brandon prust is a 4th line player. i like his game but his hands are made of granite.

fedotenko shouldnt even be here. period.

if the clown keeps his homeboy fed and boots avery- which i think is unlikely, there will be hell to pay. i wouldnt put it past him though. the fans well freak out. say what you want about seans off ice persona, when hes on the ice and playing well, he makes a difference.

the clown cant have anyone around whos red nose is bigger and who wears crazier makeup. torts wont stand for that. and avery is that kinda guy, so him being sent to hartford isnt out of the realm.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 07:00 AM
Levitate

I think tagging this as speculation is apt

I don't see a lot of hard evidence from this camp that Tortorella doesn't like Avery and the team is looking to move him. Carpiniello's piece is pure speculation, Spector's piece just throws out a single line about the Rangers plan for him being unclear, without backing up why that's the case, and I haven't seen the Brooks stuff so I'll look at that.

At any rate, it seems to me to just be more fishing for stuff to write about right now. We'll see how Avery is used in the preseason games, but I agree that it'd be difficult to move him if the Rangers really want to do that

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 07:14 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Here are the Avery re-entry waivers and waivers situations

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=avery

Quote:
Post #2-Irish Blues

-- Dallas sends Avery down to the minors, then recalls him and the Rangers claim him on the way back up. The Rangers and Stars split the salary and cap hit remaining on his contract 50/50.
-- The Rangers then waive him, but someone else [say Toronto] picks him up. The Maple Leafs and Stars then split Avery's contract 50/50, and the Rangers are off the hook.
-- Say the Rangers instead assign Avery to the minors, and no one claims him [not even Dallas]. The Rangers and Stars continue to split his salary, but no cap hit is incurred as Avery is in the minors and not subject to the "35 and older" clause.
-- The Rangers recall Avery from the minors after having assigned him, and Toronto claims him on the way back up. The Maple Leafs and Rangers now split Avery's cap hit and salary, and Dallas is off the hook.
CBA doesn't discuss what happens if a player claimed on re-entry is traded to another team. You have to assume the entire cap hit goes to the acquiring team.

This is what Brooks wrote on Tuesday.

Quote:
Indeed, for whatever it's worth, Avery and Wade Redden are the only two varsity incumbents who have not scrimmaged in equivalent roles to the ones they had last season. Avery, who was a top six-winger when he went down with a knee injury in Game 75, has been on a line with White and tryout Ruslan Fedotenko, both long shots to make the club.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz10M1KrfT3

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 07:17 AM
Levitate

Got it, though Avery bounced up and down the roster a lot last year as well. I still say it's hard to read a lot into that, and I'm skeptical that Avery will get booted off the team unless he doesn't outplay anyone

Old
09-23-2010, 07:25 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

I don't know what it is, but my gut tells me that Todd White making this team is not that much of a long shot.

I actually think that he's good player that can play a solid two-way game that can help offensively on the bottom 2 lines.

White centering Prust and Boogaard is very viable.

Avery on the 3rd line with Kennedy and Callahan

AA centering the 2nd line with Dubi and MZA

Prospal centering Frolov and Gabby

EC is the odd man out and when Drury comes back, maybe then we get to a rotation of Kennedy/White and Boogaard depending on the opposition?

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 07:36 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I don't know what it is, but my gut tells me that Todd White making this team is not that much of a long shot.

I actually think that he's good player that can play a solid two-way game that can help offensively on the bottom 2 lines.

White centering Prust and Boogaard is very viable.

Avery on the 3rd line with Kennedy and Callahan

AA centering the 2nd line with Dubi and MZA

Prospal centering Frolov and Gabby

EC is the odd man out and when Drury comes back, maybe then we get to a rotation of Kennedy/White and Boogaard depending on the opposition?
prospal doesnt need to center gaborik and frolov. stepan can or ec will.

me thinks ec has made this team. same for arty.

your centers to start the season will be

ec
stepan
arty
white/kenndy

kennedy sent to hartford once capt quaalude returns.

boyle is history unless hes kept as a 4th ling wing.

Old
09-23-2010, 07:44 AM
pld459666

I hope that Stepan makes the team.

In the Daily News, it says that Dylan isn't going to get even one pre-season game in? While not the end of the world by any stretch, I'm disappointed in that.

One game is not gonna hurt the kid or the team. Seems silly to have him here and not get a game in.

Old
09-23-2010, 07:47 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

He'll be on the opening nights roster.

Rangers need Avery to play like Avery. He is def a Torts kind of guy on the ice whenhe's bringing his A game.

Unfortunately Averys A game comes with a price and Im not talking about the Refs. When he's bringing the heat he is prone to "eventually' getting nicked up, injured, in the press box getting well.

Rangers need Averys sizzle. They also need the depth to back that sizzle up.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Vitto79

Torts was talking like Avery was on the team so I will assume he will be

On the other hand I will not be shocked if he is traded. I think it's possible as long as it's the 2 million and not the 4 that the acquiring team has to pay

Someone will take a chance on him now but I rather see him stay

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 07:57 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I hope that Stepan makes the team.

In the Daily News, it says that Dylan isn't going to get even one pre-season game in? While not the end of the world by any stretch, I'm disappointed in that.

One game is not gonna hurt the kid or the team. Seems silly to have him here and not get a game in.
after last nights interview with leslie treff on mouths show, one of the callers had an interesting take on this whole dylan thing.

the rookie game at jersey was originally open to the public- like prior years but now its not. no one knows for sure but he said his source said it was the nyr who closed the game and not the devils. his take was that the rangers want no part of the public (fans) seeing mcilrath play. they want to protect him form any scrutiny and dont want judgements made about his play or the choice of him at #10. if you buy into that theory, then it makes sense that your wouldnt see him in any preseason games.

leslie discussed it too but i cant remember what she said about it specifically other than the game was changed from open to the fans to "closed".

i thought it was an interesting take last night when i heard it.

Old
09-23-2010, 08:02 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
prospal doesnt need to center gaborik and frolov. stepan can or ec will.

me thinks ec has made this team. same for arty.

your centers to start the season will be

ec
stepan
arty
white/kenndy

kennedy sent to hartford once capt quaalude returns.

boyle is history unless hes kept as a 4th ling wing.
I don't think there's any chance that White will center the 4th line. The 4th line doesn't play enough to justify spending 2.375 mil for White to center it.

The only way White makes this team is if Stepan isn't ready. Even then, White still might not make the team. It seems to be between Boyle and Kennedy for the 4th line center spot, with Kennedy likely having the upper hand.

I don't think Drury's injury will impact the roster one way or another. Drury won't be placed on LTIR and he won't miss more than a handful of games. He will be one of the 14 forwards on opening night and he will sit out until he is healthy enough to return. I don't see any reason for the Rangers to keep an extra body to sit in the press box and waste cap dollars.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 08:05 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
after last nights interview with leslie treff on mouths show, one of the callers had an interesting take on this whole dylan thing.

the rookie game at jersey was originally open to the public- like prior years but now its not. no one knows for sure but he said his source said it was the nyr who closed the game and not the devils. his take was that the rangers want no part of the public (fans) seeing mcilrath play. they want to protect him form any scrutiny and dont want judgements made about his play or the choice of him at #10. if you buy into that theory, then it makes sense that your wouldnt see him in any preseason games.

leslie discussed it too but i cant remember what she said about it specifically other than the game was changed from open to the fans to "closed".

i thought it was an interesting take last night when i heard it.
Here's the thing though, he got pulled from that game to play in a scrimmage game yesterday. I understand that it was probably closed prior to getting pulled, but he's not partaking in that prospects game now either.

Additionally, they can't prevent Moose Jaw from televising their games which means that anyone that wants to see him play can just stream it.

I know that the Dolan Empire and all their minions are paranoid, and while there's a large portion of the fanbase that wasn't happy with the selection, to prevent the masses from seeing the kid live and in person is assinine.

Old
09-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Vitto79

Avery to Edmonton in the Souray package

Old
09-23-2010, 08:11 AM
eco's bones

At least for now I look at this as more speculation than not.

Not out of the realm of possibility though. I don't think Tortorella cares for Avery at all. Funny in this sense--they both have abrasive personalities. Tortorella strikes me as very controlling--having a need to dominate.

If Sean is going to play his game--he needs enough freedom where he can take the odd dumbass penalty that even might occasionally blow a game--or two. Getting under a teams skin and getting that team off its game is a fine art. Not very many as capable as Avery of doing that.

I can't think there's more than two or three teams out there even willing to trade for him under any circumstances. Toronto might be one. Maybe Boston. Neither team has cap space. The question of the cap hit would come into play. I love Sean as a player but $4 mil per is really pricey if you're not sure what you're going to get for it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 08:14 AM
ruckus*

People still go to Carpinello for Rangers news?

If they kept Feds over Avery, I'd be sure to have a word with Tortorella myself.

I don't see any way this happens.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 08:21 AM
Levitate

Whenever people call Fedetenko "Feds" I keep thinking that Fedor Federov has made a return when I wasn't looking

Old
09-23-2010, 08:36 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
People still go to Carpinello for Rangers news?

If they kept Feds over Avery, I'd be sure to have a word with Tortorella myself.

I don't see any way this happens.
It's arguable that Sean's play was a bit subpar last year. Fedotenko's play fell off a cliff.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 08:41 AM
Vitto79

So LW depth is Frolov, Dubinsky, Prospal, Avery

Kind of a nice problem to have actually. I know Prospal can move to C but I think he sticks to the wing

I am thinking Grachev, Stepan , Zuccarello should destroy the AHL first and get experience. We will see them this year at some point and I expect all of them full time next yr

Old
09-23-2010, 08:42 AM
TreeSapLlama

Quote:
Indeed, for whatever it's worth, Avery and Wade Redden are the only two varsity incumbents who have not scrimmaged in equivalent roles to the ones they had last season. Avery, who was a top six-winger when he went down with a knee injury in Game 75, has been on a line with White and tryout Ruslan Fedotenko, both long shots to make the club.
This line just doesn't make sense to me. Avery hasn't scrimmaged in an equivalent role, but then they go on to say that role was a top six winger? That is true, but Sean Avery is not a top six winger, so why the hell would they scrimmage him as one? Last i checked, we added a far superior scoring left wing, of course he is going to move down the depth charts.

Out of curiosity, is 23 the maximum roster you can carry at any point?

Last edited by TreeSapLlama: 09-23-2010 at 08:52 AM.
TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 08:47 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

This is speculation at it's best. Avery has a spot on this team.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 08:51 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Strange how MZA is referred to as a "phenom" in some circles.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 08:52 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Brooks ever consider the fact that the reason Avery was the only "varsity" player not put with regulars is because he will be the only stable player in the 4th line and the center and RW spot on that line will be a revolving door.

I could do Brooks' job for crying out loud.

I'm sorry, but this is not a mystery or conspiracy. And this is one of the reasons I had been calling for Werek to make the club. Because Boyle, White, Christensen at center are not long term nore are they stable options for even one season.

And the RW spot on that line will be equally as metamorphic. Unless Weise claims that spot. Prust and Boogaard are not regulars that can hold down an NHL spot for an 82 game season. They haven't their entire careers, why would they suddenly now?

So, again, common sense for anyone who has been following the Rangers' summer, ESPECIALLY a BEAT WRITER should know that Avery is going to be the only stable player on that line. He's the most skilled player in that group. And he is the most complex (not one dimensional).

Frolov. Stepan. Gaborik
Dubinsky. Anisimov. Grachev
Prospal. Drury. Callahan
Avery. Xxxxx. Xxxxx

Boyle, Prust, White, Christensen, Fedotenko, Boogaard, Kennedy, Zuccarello-Aasen, Werek, Weise, Byers.

Best players in that group are Werek and Weise. And that's who I'd go with. And then have Prust and Boogaard as the healthy scratch/rotation players.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Rick Carpinello

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2010/0...gers+Report%29

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...#ixzz10Ls9vItE

Larry Brooks wrote a few days ago about Avery and Redden not being used with any of the regular players or players who should make the team.

The Rangers can't trade Avery. Which team wants him after the spectacle in made of himself with the Stars? If the Rangers trade him,the entire cap hit goes to the trading team. Not 1/2 like now from re-entry waivers. He will be a pain in the ass in Hartford. No other AHL team will take him. The Rangers won't put him on re-entry waivers if he is claimed because they'll be stuck with 1/2 of the cap hit when he is playing for another team. Stars would be off the hook in that scenario.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=803814
WOW sounds a lot like what I wrote 2 months ago.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Strange how MZA is referred to as a "phenom" in some circles.
Well he is from Norway.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote