HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kabanov already getting in trouble

Old
09-22-2010, 05:55 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

vCash: 500
I agree with Le Golie. Cut his ass and send him back to Moncton ASAP. Maybe that will let him see the light. Aorry, but he doesnt deserve to dress for any practices at this point, let alone any preseason games. Not a good message to send to anyone in the organization.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:31 PM
colman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
This goof needs to be cut. Today. He needs to be told that he's not coming to camp next year if he has one single indiscretion this season.

No respect for the game. No respect for his coaches or peers and most importantly, no respect for the New York Islanders. This organization gave him an opportunity and his slapped them in the face. He should be on a Greyhound to Moncton right now.
Another waste of a draft pick so much for how the isles interview who there drafting big Snow job. Plus this is a big deal for a kid who prob will never play bring in someone who wants it enough said

Last edited by colman: 09-22-2010 at 06:50 PM.
colman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:55 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by colman View Post
Another waste of a draft pick so much for how the isles interview who there drafting big Snow job
I wouldn't jump to a "waste of a draft pick" just yet. That's as irresponsible as declaring him a "steal of the draft" minutes after the 7th round ended on draft day.

The evaluation timeframe hasn't elapsed. Let's hold off on assigning report cards, identifying scapegoats and blaming anyone or lauding anyone.

We have a flawed person in terms of character that has a history of trouble. That was a GIGANTIC reason why he fell to the 3rd round. Islanders (fans and management) are starting to see evidence of this and will be taking steps to address it, incident by incident. I suggest changing character and modifying behavior is a much more difficult and lengthy process that teaching positioning or learning how to back-check. The Islanders drafted him KNOWING he was a project - let's not rush to judge at the very beginning.

But let's not kid ourselves that these are isolated incidents and be apologists for this guy. He hasn't earned any equity in my eyes, nor the team. I couldn't care less how well he stick-handles in practice. He has a lot to prove before anyone should declare anything about him as a player/Islander.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:04 PM
tool123

Spoken like a true dumbass!

Reporter: Could you clear about your practicing habits since we can't see you practice?

Kabanov: Anybody tell you that I missed practice... If, If, if a Coach say I missed practice, and y'all hear it, then that's that.

I mean, I might have missed one practice this year but if, if somebody say he doesn't come to practice, it could be one practice. Out of all the practices this year, that's enough... that's enough to get a whole lot started. I told Coach Gordon that you don't have to give the people of Long Island a reason to think about trading me or anything like that. If you trade somebody, you trade them to make the team better...simple as that. I'm cool with that. I'm all about that. The people in Long Island deserve to have a winner. It's simple as that. It goes further than that ...

Reporter: So you and coach Gordon got caught up about practices?

Kabanov: If I can't practice, I can't practice man. If I'm Hung over, I'm hung over. I mean ... simple as that. It aint about that... I mean its... Its not about that... At all. You know what I'm saying I mean...

But its...its easy ... to, to talk about... It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about practice. We're sitting in here, and I'm supposed to be the steal of the draft player, and we in here talking about practice. I mean, listen, we're talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about practice. Not a game. Not, not ... Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the game, but we're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? ...

And we talking about practice. I know I supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that... And i'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do...

But we're talking about practice man. What are we talking about? Practice? We're talking about practice, man. We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We aint talking about the game. We're talking about practice, man. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you see my tattoo's don't you? You've seen me give nothing so far, right? But we're talking about practice right now. We taking about pr...

Reporter: But it's an issue that your coach continues to raise?

Kabanov: Man look, I hear you... it's funny to me too, I mean it's strange... it's strange to me too, but we're talking about practice man, we're not even talking about the game... the actual game, when it matters... We're talking about practice ...

Reporter: Is it possible that if you practiced, not you but you would make your teammates better?

Kabanov: How the hell can I make my teammates better by practicing?

tool123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Antidote

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I wouldn't jump to a "waste of a draft pick" just yet. That's as irresponsible as declaring him a "steal of the draft" minutes after the 7th round ended on draft day.

The evaluation timeframe hasn't elapsed. Let's hold off on assigning report cards, identifying scapegoats and blaming anyone or lauding anyone.

We have a flawed person in terms of character that has a history of trouble. That was a GIGANTIC reason why he fell to the 3rd round. Islanders (fans and management) are starting to see evidence of this and will be taking steps to address it, incident by incident. I suggest changing character and modifying behavior is a much more difficult and lengthy process that teaching positioning or learning how to back-check. The Islanders drafted him KNOWING he was a project - let's not rush to judge at the very beginning.

But let's not kid ourselves that these are isolated incidents and be apologists for this guy. He hasn't earned any equity in my eyes, nor the team. I couldn't care less how well he stick-handles in practice. He has a lot to prove before anyone should declare anything about him as a player/Islander.
The voice of reason as usual. All we got with the pick is the opportunity to find out what motivates him. He's 18. Maybe the team can help him get it together at 22. Maybe never but that's the risk we took that every other team passed on twice.

Having said that, I suspect that it'll take more than old fashioned bag skates and harsh demotions to get to him. Wish I knew what! All fans can do over the next few years is keep focused on the potential reward.

Last edited by Antidote: 09-22-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Hockify

Everybody knows he's going back to juniors even if he was on time. The Islanders are evaluating him right now, teaching him a few lessons while they're at it and that's all. Worry about if he still acts like a dumb kid when he is in his 20's that's when it will really matter.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:19 PM
malPHONEY

Let this be a lesson to those who were treating this practically like another 1st round pick. Why was he picked in the 3rd Round? Because the chances that he overcomes his personality issues and immature character are completely comparable with a joe-schmo in the same round trying to overcome his lack of talent. Similar chances of becoming good players.

Honestly, did people really expect a kid who was drafted in the 3rd round EXACTLY because of issues like these to be a perfect soldier? He's got issues to work out, and I'll roll with him for the next few years.

He has undeniable talent, which is why I still like the pick. Talent cannot be taught, but character can (I am not assuming he will grow up). He's got time.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:45 PM
25yearfan

Could this be the curse of Entourage, brought about by having "E" at the trade podium....

25yearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:46 PM
TenYearsGone

Send a message via AIM to TenYearsGone
I would like to know the other players opinions on this.

Still, if KK actually turns out to be what he supposed to be and goes on that hot streak, people are going to say, "who was late again?"

TenYearsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

He was late to practice.. We must deport him back to Russia

You guys are such fools..Let him get punished by skating, make him work twice as hard and see how he does on the ice with the team. If he brings his A game and arrives late I really dont care.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:35 AM
Isles Junkie

Why is this thread 5 pages? There isn't something else that happened besides the lateness in rookie camp is there?

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 02:45 AM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
He was late to practice.. We must deport him back to Russia

You guys are such fools..Let him get punished by skating, make him work twice as hard and see how he does on the ice with the team. If he brings his A game and arrives late I really dont care.
This kid is exhibiting behaviours that have been instilled in him since he was an infant. With people like you continuing to downplay his screw ups and making excuses for him (two things he's obviously enjoyed for 18 years now) he'll never change.

The Isles need to send him packing and they need to make some clear and firm ultimatums that impact his career. He needs to realize consequences in pro hockey are real and if he's not going to straighten out, he's not worth a minute more of anyone's time. This clown needs to wake up.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 03:00 AM
metalan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool123 View Post
Reporter: Could you clear about your practicing habits since we can't see you practice?

Kabanov: Anybody tell you that I missed practice... If, If, if a Coach say I missed practice, and y'all hear it, then that's that.

I mean, I might have missed one practice this year but if, if somebody say he doesn't come to practice, it could be one practice. Out of all the practices this year, that's enough... that's enough to get a whole lot started. I told Coach Gordon that you don't have to give the people of Long Island a reason to think about trading me or anything like that. If you trade somebody, you trade them to make the team better...simple as that. I'm cool with that. I'm all about that. The people in Long Island deserve to have a winner. It's simple as that. It goes further than that ...

Reporter: So you and coach Gordon got caught up about practices?

Kabanov: If I can't practice, I can't practice man. If I'm Hung over, I'm hung over. I mean ... simple as that. It aint about that... I mean its... Its not about that... At all. You know what I'm saying I mean...

But its...its easy ... to, to talk about... It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about practice. We're sitting in here, and I'm supposed to be the steal of the draft player, and we in here talking about practice. I mean, listen, we're talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about practice. Not a game. Not, not ... Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the game, but we're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? ...

And we talking about practice. I know I supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that... And i'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do...

But we're talking about practice man. What are we talking about? Practice? We're talking about practice, man. We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We aint talking about the game. We're talking about practice, man. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you see my tattoo's don't you? You've seen me give nothing so far, right? But we're talking about practice right now. We taking about pr...

Reporter: But it's an issue that your coach continues to raise?

Kabanov: Man look, I hear you... it's funny to me too, I mean it's strange... it's strange to me too, but we're talking about practice man, we're not even talking about the game... the actual game, when it matters... We're talking about practice ...

Reporter: Is it possible that if you practiced, not you but you would make your teammates better?

Kabanov: How the hell can I make my teammates better by practicing?

wow, you totally got me. Literally was enthralled with that interview at first.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 03:53 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
We knew he'd be a project when we drafted him. He remains a project a few months later. It should not be terribly surprising that he hasn't completely matured over that time. Hopefully over time, continued negative reinforcement will cause him to grow up. Maybe it won't. But that's how project picks tend to work.

I do agree, it probably is time to cut him, but Gordon might want more time to exert as much influence on him as he can before sending him off.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 07:39 AM
doublechili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
We knew he'd be a project when we drafted him. He remains a project a few months later. It should not be terribly surprising that he hasn't completely matured over that time. Hopefully over time, continued negative reinforcement will cause him to grow up. Maybe it won't. But that's how project picks tend to work.

I do agree, it probably is time to cut him, but Gordon might want more time to exert as much influence on him as he can before sending him off.
That's a great point. It seems that his punishment has always been banishment. That obviously hasn't worked. So maybe the best thing is to keep him around and work on him, and then let him go back to Moncton with a clear message re: what is expected of him.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 07:44 AM
KO21

Allen Iverson

KO21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 07:45 AM
doublechili

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
This is an excerpt from Botta's latest piece on Kabanov:

This was very odd to read it because I remember reading somewhere (can't remember where, maybe even Botta's blog) that Janks loved KK so much, that he wanted to trade up to get him. I also remember, and correct me if I'm wrong, that Janks was ecstatic that KK dropped to the Isles in the 3rd round.

This post isn't so much about Kabanov, but more so about Janks I suppose. Considering we still don't know much about why he was let go, is Botta implying that the drafting of Kabanov was a big reason for this?

Any clarification would be appreciated.
That seemed odd to me too. Are we to believe that Snow/Wang wanted to draft Kabanov, and Jankowski complained so much that they let him go?

Another scenario is that Jankowski wanted to draft KK and Snow/Wang saw KK's antics after being drafted and weren't happy with Jankowski.

Obviously we have no idea, and it could be either of these, or something else, or some combination of the above. I'm just curious if this is total speculation on Botta's part, or if he has some info he's not sharing....

Old
09-23-2010, 07:48 AM
doublechili

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO21 View Post
Allen Iverson
I've thought of him too. However, Iverson was a #1 overall pick. The Isles only spent a 3rd rounder on KK, despite his lofty status among prospect-rankers.

The Sixers bet their whole stack of chips on Iverson. The Isles threw a few red ones into the pot for KK. Big difference.

Old
09-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Simply put, a professional builds his life around his sport. He is to be there at all times not only because his job demands it, but in order for the coaching staff to get the most out of him and his teammates.

Practice is conditioning, finetuning and learning.

Even at lower pro and amateur levels, being there is also about respecting your teammates and showing them the same type of committment they're brining.

At the end of the day, it's about principle as much as it's about the duties of a job. But we all know that, ehh...

As for what the punishment should be - shut the player out completely or make the player suffer through skating drills, push-ups, etc. - well I know fans will have different viewpoints, but it does nothing for Kirill or his teammates to have the kid thoroughly excluded. The physical drills will do his scrawny body good and having it done in view of coaches, colleagues and players alike should be humbling.

In addition, I suspect that Gordon wants these guys - late or not - still learning the stuff he's teaching.

In the end, we all know he's going back to the Q.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 09:15 AM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
That seemed odd to me too. Are we to believe that Snow/Wang wanted to draft Kabanov, and Jankowski complained so much that they let him go?

Another scenario is that Jankowski wanted to draft KK and Snow/Wang saw KK's antics after being drafted and weren't happy with Jankowski.

Obviously we have no idea, and it could be either of these, or something else, or some combination of the above. I'm just curious if this is total speculation on Botta's part, or if he has some info he's not sharing....
The speculation is all valid, but nothing seems to add up:

1) It was reported that Janks was pushing for KK. Botta's post implies that it was Wang/Snow pushing for KK.
2) If I remember correctly Janks was "fired" within a week or so after the draft. This is hardly enough time for KK to make waves that big, and since the focus was all on him immediately after the draft, we would have heard it from some media outlet. At least one would assume.
3) The thing that was more concerning to me is that Janks seemed to think that our last pick (Cody Rosen) had a great year last year, even though he played in only a couple of games with very mediocre results. Perhaps he was alluding to scrimages, I have no clue how to read between those lines.

I wish the Isles would just put an end to the speculation and let us know what happened. Anything at all would be fine: philosophical differences, an incident of some kind, or a simple 'it was a redundant position' that Snow oversaw anyway.

I want to message Botta, but I don't think I'll get much out of him.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:19 AM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
The speculation is all valid, but nothing seems to add up:

1) It was reported that Janks was pushing for KK. Botta's post implies that it was Wang/Snow pushing for KK.
2) If I remember correctly Janks was "fired" within a week or so after the draft. This is hardly enough time for KK to make waves that big, and since the focus was all on him immediately after the draft, we would have heard it from some media outlet. At least one would assume.
3) The thing that was more concerning to me is that Janks seemed to think that our last pick (Cody Rosen) had a great year last year, even though he played in only a couple of games with very mediocre results. Perhaps he was alluding to scrimages, I have no clue how to read between those lines.

I wish the Isles would just put an end to the speculation and let us know what happened. Anything at all would be fine: philosophical differences, an incident of some kind, or a simple 'it was a redundant position' that Snow oversaw anyway.

I want to message Botta, but I don't think I'll get much out of him.
I don't know about the kabanov influence on jankowski-snow. I also don't recall anything written regarding any one person 'liking' any one prospect. Look how the whole Duchene, Hedman, Tavares elusive behavior unfolded last draft year - I'd take every report with a grain of salt!

Important point - janks was not fired. His contract was allowed to expire without renewal. If they were happy with him (be it his work, his attitude, his philosophy, management style, etc) he would have been RE-UPPED WELL BEFORE THE DRAFT - NO?

In terms of KK, you'd have to expect other incidents within the room, why wouldn't you!?

On a side note, watch Hamonic's brief interview on nhl videocenter on nyi.com. He has a very good line (paraphrasing) "I came to camp with my eyes and ears open and my mouth shut. I have so much to learn from those in here that have been in my shoes before"

I wish you could teach a person to be that way.

Last edited by redbull: 09-23-2010 at 11:46 AM.
redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
I've thought of him too. However, Iverson was a #1 overall pick. The Isles only spent a 3rd rounder on KK, despite his lofty status among prospect-rankers.

The Sixers bet their whole stack of chips on Iverson. The Isles threw a few red ones into the pot for KK. Big difference.
Iverson took the Sixers to the finals single handily..... Now we have a long way to go before I put Kabanov in that category but the fact remains there are lots of basket case athletes that are able to lead a team to greatness. I am not giving up on Kabanov, I think what he needs is a firm and long talking too. Some times a talk does better then endless skating.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post

I agree on all points. This is not a first overall pick we're talking about here I mean yeah obviously everyones like wtf man get your act together but we knew this deal coming in kid just needs to mature a little bit. When I was 18 I was more interested in girls beers and pot haha but It didn't take long to realize I needed to get my act in gear. Barring any further offenses, because if that happens then immediately ship him back, but let him stay a nhl training camp is definitely better for him and he'd probably take juniors even less serious. But idk I think everyones just overreacting its not like we expected him to make an impact this season let him grow a little older and bigger and we'll see next season.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Cheap plug but I thought you guys out of anyone would enjoy this the most.

Kabanov's list of excuses for being late - twice - to camp:
http://futureconsiderationsdotca.wor...-late-excuses/

Old
09-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Pnut

Quote:
maybe it was a few ****-ups like that (maybe picking the wrong Rosen kid supposedly) that caused Janks not to get re-upped. Sometimes people screw up and Jankowski maybe did too much. His father was a scout for many years but that doesn't mean he will be that great. Just a total guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
On a side note, watch Hamonic's brief interview on nhl videocenter on nyi.com. He has a very good line (paraphrasing) "I came to camp with my eyes and ears open and my mouth shut. I have so much to learn from those in here that have been in my shoes before"

I wish you could teach a person to be that way.
Great point, great quote.
But I think it is showing that the Islanders M.O. is to almost always draft character kids first, Bailey, Hamonic, pretty much all of them and take a chance on a schlep like Kabanov every few years because we have a dozen plus kids with above average character that one idiot won't rock the boat, and is worth the risk in a later round.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote