HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Workouts to Improve Hockey Shooting

Old
09-22-2010, 10:36 AM
HowToHockey

vCash: 500
Workouts to Improve Hockey Shooting

Hey guys, just wondering what some good workouts are for improving the power of your shot. I found a bunch of good ones in a hockey conditioning book that I posted in my newest article workouts to improve hockey shooting power

I want to hear if you guys have any that helped you improve your shot.

The number one workout for me....was actually shooting the puck! It helped me improve my slapshot by 20MPH. I think I have maxed out at 75MPH so I am going to stick to these workouts and see if I can break 80

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:59 AM
WhooFleuryScores

none that come to mind, but def practice, hit the gym,do ur weights.

WhooFleuryScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 03:37 AM
timekeep

strength your wrists, squeeze a tennis ball or the hand trainers.

step up to twisting a bar with a weight attached by 3 foot skate lace up and down. start with a five pound weight and hold bar in front of you chest high and twist the bar so the lace winds up and untwist.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 09:38 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Gotta add in squats & dead lifts

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Blueland89

Rowing Machine it works everything, abs, arms, legs, cardio. Love the site man I hit it up everyday

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've been doing pullups, pushups, and squats, and the first couple weeks I could barely flex a stick.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:08 PM
ponder

As long as you're a fully grown man who hits the gym somewhat often and not a total twig, I really do think shooting is almost entirely about technique, not strength. I've seen plenty of skinny guys who can blast the puck as hard as anyone. Look at guys like Mike Ribeiro and Kyle Wellwood, they have NHL level shots despite having the muscle mass of 12 year olds. As beavboyz said, I think just shooting the puck a tonne is the best way to improve your power, you'll naturally strengthen the muscles you need a bit, and dramatically improve your technique.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
As long as you're a fully grown man who hits the gym somewhat often and not a total twig, I really do think shooting is almost entirely about technique, not strength. I've seen plenty of skinny guys who can blast the puck as hard as anyone. Look at guys like Mike Ribeiro and Kyle Wellwood, they have NHL level shots despite having the muscle mass of 12 year olds. As beavboyz said, I think just shooting the puck a tonne is the best way to improve your power, you'll naturally strengthen the muscles you need a bit, and dramatically improve your technique.
This has less to do with strengthening the muscles used in shooting and more about creating more efficient neural pathways. When the body is first learning a new movement, it is extremely inefficient because it's something that is unfamiliar. But over time, the body starts moving toward an extremely efficient way of performing an action, and then the actual strengthening can take place.

It's not uncommon for someone starting, say, a weightlifting regimen to see enormous gains in the first eight weeks, which then plateau into minimal gains. What's happening is the body learning how to make the movement efficient, creating an illusion of a massive strength gain when the muscle really isn't get much stronger. Once the movement approaches the point of mastery, the actual teardown/rebuild process can begin.

For extreme examples, witness a small child learning to walk and see how unsteady he is and how little walking can be done. To see the same effect, watch someone with a condition that causes lesions to the cerebellum (where the so-called muscle memory is stored), where what were previously mastered movements become unsteady.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's a fascinating post, Bee.

That's also why poor skaters should take skating lessons rather than hit the gym and work on squats.

I'll always think back to one of the best skaters I ever played with, a 17 year old kid that was about 6' and maybe 140 pound soaking wet. Legs were like twigs and his socks were always falling down. But he would get across the ice in half a dozen strides, was the smoothest stickhandler, and had a bomb of a shot. He played at the highest junior level in the US, not sure what it was, but that taught me technique is far more important than strength.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:35 AM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
That's a fascinating post, Bee.

That's also why poor skaters should take skating lessons rather than hit the gym and work on squats.

I'll always think back to one of the best skaters I ever played with, a 17 year old kid that was about 6' and maybe 140 pound soaking wet. Legs were like twigs and his socks were always falling down. But he would get across the ice in half a dozen strides, was the smoothest stickhandler, and had a bomb of a shot. He played at the highest junior level in the US, not sure what it was, but that taught me technique is far more important than strength.
Sounds like Gretzky, but in Canada. He didn't have any muscle mass.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:44 PM
droller*

Best way is to do just that, shoot. It'll improve your technique, build muscles in your wrists and will also give you a good cardio workout if you do it for an extended period of time.

Power in shots comes from ones ability to transfer weight in a smooth motion. The better you are at transferring weight, the harder the shot (especially wrist/snap shots).

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote