HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobrovsky baptism of fire, give it to him Now!

Old
09-23-2010, 08:59 AM
captainpaxil

vCash: 500
hes easily the most talented goalie we have over here in na right now but we knew that already. give him some time to develop and adjust and we may have not just the latest guy to start for us but a legitimate starter. also at 1.75 mil the longer he spends in the a the less cap trouble we have calling him up. later on he can come up and get adjusted and ease his way in but by virtue of the cap if he comes in now its leightons spot he has to take.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Yea, it's always a good idea to expose a rookie goalie with one period of NHL preseason experience to a "baptism by fire". Wonderful plan.

We finally have a nice goalie prospect (plus Eriksson). Let's not rush to ruin the kid just yet, ok?

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:56 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
At least keep him in the AHL until the first of the year. If he's lights out, then we can consider him for a call up. Otherwise let him take the full year in the AHL or however long he needs.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:57 AM
middletoe
Why am I me?

If he's really that good, maybe wait until closer to the playoffs before bringing him up. You don't want those Philly fans to start expecting too much from their new goalie. And hopefully he doesn't understand English yet. That would help.

middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

I agree with everyone else.

We should slowly bring him along. He has yet to get accustomed to the English language and the American culture. Also he is a bit raw but he is very talented. I would love to see him spend some time in the AHL but also get the occasional call-up to the NHL to play a game or two. I don't agree with baptism by fire because that can ruin and players confidence if things don't go right. But it could not be a thing to worry about with Bobrovsky because scouts say one of his biggest attributes is mental toughness.

Last edited by Alchemy: 09-23-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:34 AM
DenverBoone

I am sure that management will make the right choice. We are talking about the Goalie position with the Flyers, remember?

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:37 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

This thread is probablly one big huge jinx. Im already calling it. Bob plays in the one period tonight where he faces 10 shots but lets in 3. Then we get to hear how bad of a goalie he is and how he will never play in the NHL. Then we will hear from Leaf fans on how good Rynnas is and how we made the wrong choice.

We gotta relax on how much we hype him. If you expect to much out of him at a young age, and he doesnt live up to it, half of you will turn against him. Think Price in Montreal.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:06 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
This thread is probablly one big huge jinx. Im already calling it. Bob plays in the one period tonight where he faces 10 shots but lets in 3. Then we get to hear how bad of a goalie he is and how he will never play in the NHL. Then we will hear from Leaf fans on how good Rynnas is and how we made the wrong choice.

We gotta relax on how much we hype him. If you expect to much out of him at a young age, and he doesnt live up to it, half of you will turn against him. Think Price in Montreal.
What you mean how last year we all went "Backlund doesn't look half bad..." *injured*

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Mota

As far as I am concerned, this team has 4 unproven goaltenders going into camp. Leighton and Boucher have NHL experience and have had success at the level, but not consistently, so I personally wouldn't consider them a lock for anything. Its one thing if you have a Miller or a Broduer...if they have a bad camp you don't have to push the panic button, you know theyll be ok based on their consistent success in the past. Leighton and Boosh shouldnt be given the same benefit of the doubt. In all honesty, if Bob or Backlund outplay Leighton and Boucher, they should certainly start the season as a Flyer.

Not the ideal situation when dealing with young goalies, but hey, this is the position our brilliant GM put us in.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:27 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
I agree with everyone else.

We should slowly bring him along. He has yet to get accustomed to the English language and the American culture. Also he is a bit raw but his is very talented. I would love to see him spend some time in the AHL but also get the occasional call-up to the NHL to play a game or two. I don't agree with baptism by fire because that can ruin and players confidence if things don't go right. But it could not be a thing to worry about with Bobrovsky because scouts say one of his biggest attributes is mental toughness.
This cat don't need the AHL or any of that nonsense, he played in a better league in Russia, on a poor team where he faced tremendous pressure night in and night out....And all this liberal nonsense about worrying about his mental well being etc......FERGETABOUTIT ! If he has the metal to be an NHL goalie he will not get all hung up on having a bad game here and there.Ray Charles can see this cat has it in spades [ and ray is blind and dead ].Let the young man have a legit shot at # 1 and if you want to worry about a goalies mental health being fragile.....worry about Leighton or Boosh then.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:43 PM
hextall shoots

cat, dog, tiger lion bear, is it the flyers or the zoo keepers

hextall shoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
This cat don't need the AHL or any of that nonsense, he played in a better league in Russia, on a poor team where he faced tremendous pressure night in and night out....And all this liberal nonsense about worrying about his mental well being etc......FERGETABOUTIT ! If he has the metal to be an NHL goalie he will not get all hung up on having a bad game here and there.Ray Charles can see this cat has it in spades [ and ray is blind and dead ].Let the young man have a legit shot at # 1 and if you want to worry about a goalies mental health being fragile.....worry about Leighton or Boosh then.
You do not get it do you? Michael Leighton is the NHL starting goalie. Brian Boucher is the backup. Bobrovsky is an AHL goalie who with training and experience could be an NHL goalie, Backlund will be his backup. IF Bobrovsky shows progress he might get a callup at the midway point to get some NHL level experience but it still is a good idea to bring him along appropriately.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:51 PM
infidelappel*

This thread is full of fail.

Look, I'm really high on the kid and Tuesday night inspired confidence. But people really need to pump the breaks.

Bobrovsky is quick and has talent, but his coverage isn't perfect. His angles still need some adjusting, and he still has a little trouble reading shots off of broken plays because guys in the NHL will fire from all angles, rather than try to work into the slot for perfect plays like they did in the KHL.

His game isn't perfect, and to those who say he has nerves of steel, he doesn't. He is very quick and pretty poised, but he's almost a little too quick and jumpy. He reminds me just a little of MAF when he first started - his feet are so quick that they almost get him in trouble. His quickness and aggressiveness are great, but you have to learn to use them correctly or guys in the NHL will catch you coming too far, or being too squirrelly, and be able to get you when you're not perfectly set.

Lastly, whoever said he faced huge amounts of pressure in the KHL is dead wrong. He was on a bottom feeder team that got outshot huge. I've played in net on teams like that, and when you're the saving grace on a bad team, the pressure's off. It's easier, mentally, to play on a bad team knowing that you'll get a lot of work and that even keeping them in the game is sort of a win for you, than it is to play on a good team knowing that you must pull your weight or you'll be letting people down.

Additionally, the fact that he cannot communicate with his defensemen yet is an issue. Until he can break the language barrier and adapt to the culture, it could affect his ability to coordinate with his defenders well.

The kid just isn't ready yet. He has the skill and talent, but he needs some tweaks and more importantly, he needs to adjust to being here. If he posts shut-outs late in preseason, dominating teams that are closer to a trimmed NHL roster, then I guess I'm all for giving him a shot if Leighton continues to struggle and Boosh doesn't round into form, but there are a number of reasons not to start him off with the Flyers, and few (if any) to rush him onto the roster.

Oh, and let's not forget the fact that we've all only watched him play in less than one game, on the first night of preseason, against a team that wasn't exactly an offensive threat.

Last edited by infidelappel*: 09-23-2010 at 12:59 PM.
infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Yea, good idea, let's rush him into the lineup. Hell, it's working out well for Carey Price.

Old
09-23-2010, 02:10 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
This thread is full of fail.

Look, I'm really high on the kid and Tuesday night inspired confidence. But people really need to pump the breaks.

Bobrovsky is quick and has talent, but his coverage isn't perfect. His angles still need some adjusting, and he still has a little trouble reading shots off of broken plays because guys in the NHL will fire from all angles, rather than try to work into the slot for perfect plays like they did in the KHL.

His game isn't perfect, and to those who say he has nerves of steel, he doesn't. He is very quick and pretty poised, but he's almost a little too quick and jumpy. He reminds me just a little of MAF when he first started - his feet are so quick that they almost get him in trouble. His quickness and aggressiveness are great, but you have to learn to use them correctly or guys in the NHL will catch you coming too far, or being too squirrelly, and be able to get you when you're not perfectly set.

Lastly, whoever said he faced huge amounts of pressure in the KHL is dead wrong. He was on a bottom feeder team that got outshot huge. I've played in net on teams like that, and when you're the saving grace on a bad team, the pressure's off. It's easier, mentally, to play on a bad team knowing that you'll get a lot of work and that even keeping them in the game is sort of a win for you, than it is to play on a good team knowing that you must pull your weight or you'll be letting people down.

Additionally, the fact that he cannot communicate with his defensemen yet is an issue. Until he can break the language barrier and adapt to the culture, it could affect his ability to coordinate with his defenders well.

The kid just isn't ready yet. He has the skill and talent, but he needs some tweaks and more importantly, he needs to adjust to being here. If he posts shut-outs late in preseason, dominating teams that are closer to a trimmed NHL roster, then I guess I'm all for giving him a shot if Leighton continues to struggle and Boosh doesn't round into form, but there are a number of reasons not to start him off with the Flyers, and few (if any) to rush him onto the roster.

Oh, and let's not forget the fact that we've all only watched him play in less than one game, on the first night of preseason, against a team that wasn't exactly an offensive threat.
What a buzzkill post...why did you have to interject reality into this when everybody is high on HOPEIUM???....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 02:16 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Lets see how he does the rest of the preseason. I want to see how he handles in traffic more than anything.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 02:22 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Flyer View Post
Yea, good idea, let's rush him into the lineup. Hell, it's working out well for Carey Price.
To be fair, Carey Price is under a lot more pressure to perform than any Flyers goaltender.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
To be fair, Carey Price is under a lot more pressure to perform than any Flyers goaltender.
To be fair, he has had three friggin' years to deal with it.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 03:00 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
To be fair, he has had three friggin' years to deal with it.
To be fair, he's actually played pretty well more recently (he obviously melted down against us in the playoffs, though). It's just that there was this other guy in net with him who was equally deserving, and he was walking on eggshells. When Halak is on the bench, the second you make a mistake he's right there to take your spot for a while. Not the easiest thing to deal with, especially in a high-pressure market.

This is Price's make or break year, IMO. Big new contract and he finally has the reins without question. He has the talent, he's been pretty good, but it's time he takes the next step or gets officially labeled as someone who can't take the pressure.

But now back to what really matters: tempering our expectations for Bobocop.

Old
09-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Fair point, but it doesn't invalidate my position. It's never good to rush any prospect, let alone a goaltender who is a part of a franchise that has been looking for a "savior" in net for decades.

Jonathan Bernier, arguably the greatest goalie prospect in the world (along with Markstrom), has been down in the AHL for three years, refining his game until he's become dominant at that level. When he finally takes hold of the #1 in LA, he will be as ready for it as mentally and physically possible. Goalies, moreso than any other type of prospects, need to be groomed properly.

I'm not saying stash Bob in the AHL for three years. I'm not even saying stash him in the AHL all of this season. What I am saying is that it sure as hell can't hurt his development to get major playing time down there first. The last thing this franchise needs is to rush this kid and crush his career before it starts.

Old
09-23-2010, 03:17 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Flyer View Post
Fair point, but it doesn't invalidate my position. It's never good to rush any prospect, let alone a goaltender who is a part of a franchise that has been looking for a "savior" in net for decades.

Jonathan Bernier, arguably the greatest goalie prospect in the world (along with Markstrom), has been down in the AHL for three years, refining his game until he's become dominant at that level. When he finally takes hold of the #1 in LA, he will be as ready for it as mentally and physically possible. Goalies, moreso than any other type of prospects, need to be groomed properly.

I'm not saying stash Bob in the AHL for three years. I'm not even saying stash him in the AHL all of this season. What I am saying is that it sure as hell can't hurt his development to get major playing time down there first. The last thing this franchise needs is to rush this kid and crush his career before it starts.
Well said.

Putting a goalie in the AHL isn't about hiding him or securing him. It's not about catering to people with weak minds or low self esteem.

Putting a goalie in the NHL before they're ready can expose their weaknesses and show them - and the world, including potential NHL teammates - that they're not capable of playing at that level. No matter how tough you are, that's going to hurt your confidence.

If you bring a guy along slowly and let them refine their game at each level until they know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that there's nothing left to prove, then they KNOW that they are prepared for the next level, and can come in knowing they have the tools to be dominant because they've done it before.

It's very rare that a young goalie just jumps into the NHL without time in the minors and can run with it, and almost without exception the goalies who DO make that jump have been supremely dominant in different levels of junior or other professional leagues.

Bobrovsky hasn't been. He was good, but he was getting peppered on a garbage team. He hasn't had the experience that a lot of top-flight prospects his age have had. I'm not saying pedigree is what matters, but the experience of being dominant and winning (preferably championships) in any given league goes a long way towards future development, and he hasn't really had that.

So waiting for him to season in the AHL isn't about sheltering him. In fact, it's about giving him the opportunity to establish his dominance without question which will make him that much better when he is fully prepared to make the jump.

Old
09-23-2010, 03:19 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
He has nerves of steel. Thats all you need.

If you're referencing what I think you are that's really funny.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
What a buzzkill post...why did you have to interject reality into this when everybody is high on HOPEIUM???....
Holy Irony, Batman, Dr. Doom calling someone else a buzzkill.

You are one funny cat, man.....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Well said.

Putting a goalie in the AHL isn't about hiding him or securing him. It's not about catering to people with weak minds or low self esteem.

Putting a goalie in the NHL before they're ready can expose their weaknesses and show them - and the world, including potential NHL teammates - that they're not capable of playing at that level. No matter how tough you are, that's going to hurt your confidence.

If you bring a guy along slowly and let them refine their game at each level until they know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that there's nothing left to prove, then they KNOW that they are prepared for the next level, and can come in knowing they have the tools to be dominant because they've done it before.

It's very rare that a young goalie just jumps into the NHL without time in the minors and can run with it, and almost without exception the goalies who DO make that jump have been supremely dominant in different levels of junior or other professional leagues.

Bobrovsky hasn't been. He was good, but he was getting peppered on a garbage team. He hasn't had the experience that a lot of top-flight prospects his age have had. I'm not saying pedigree is what matters, but the experience of being dominant and winning (preferably championships) in any given league goes a long way towards future development, and he hasn't really had that.

So waiting for him to season in the AHL isn't about sheltering him. In fact, it's about giving him the opportunity to establish his dominance without question which will make him that much better when he is fully prepared to make the jump.
Yea, that's my basic view on all goalie prospects.

Now, I'm not putting a timeframe on how long he should be down in the AHL. Truth be told, that's completely up to how well Bob performs, and how well Leighton and Boucher are holding down the fort at the NHL level. These things are fluid, and there's no set "template" to follow, really.

To me, I'd just rather see a guy prove he can dominate a lower level of professional hockey on North American ice before placing him on an NHL roster for a team that has visions of a Cup.

Bob, like pretty much every other prospect in the world, will be ready when he shows that he's ready. And I'm sorry, but 25 minutes in a preseason NHL game (which is all the majority of people on here have seen), is not enough to determine that he's ready. It's pretty silly, actually.

Old
09-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I want to see how well bob can play when he isn't getting peppered with shots all night, and only has to face 15-20 shots. Some goaltenders can't adjust to playing a slow game. Some need to face shots constantly to be good.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote