HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery a goner?

Old
09-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Agree with all of that, and while the double standard for Sean is unfair, and most of us would miss some of his antics, I don't really see anything wrong with Sean the hockey player.

The guy is something that every team could use.

For whatever reason there's a ton of Rangers fans who associate him not being a wild child on the ice with being ineffective.
There is no doubt in my mind Avery wants to perform like he did in the past. He wants to be that electrifying fan-fave who produces. There's obviously something preventing him from doing so. It's not just one thing either. You can't just blame Torts. Or the officials. Or Avery. It's a combination of things.

The situation is a bit trickier because of some issues. You can't really move that contract. You can't demote that contract to Hartford because he could be cancerous. Nobody on our roster is clearly superior in his role. The $$$ difference between him and someone else isn't required (if we're waiving Redden). He's a marketable fan-favorite.

Pics of our third jersey were just revealed with Avery sporting it. If this organization had plans to make Avery dissapear, they would have had Cally, Dubi, or MDZ modeling it.

Even if Torts really, really wants to move Sean, I think Sather will have the final say in things. And I think Sather wants Sean in our line-up for various reasons. Even if he's struggling, or playing gun-shy, he's likely still a better player than his replacement.

This whole story is fluff, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Well, OK, maybe I was a little hrsh with the below average, then he is just average. But we need him to be what he was prior to him going to Dallas.
I absolutely agree. We need a lot of guys to play better though, not just Sean. You can't expect him to be the difference maker every night. Half the times he's trying to be the difference maker and a wacky call or non-call changes the flow of things.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:26 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I hope Avery stays with the team but if something happens to him, before everybody goes up in arms against Tortorella, consider that it would be an organizational decision... Meaning Torts isn't calling shots independent of what individuals like Sather, Messier, and Schoenfeld have to say about it....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:29 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Avery would help this team and give maximun effort of any line he plays.

I'd rather have Avery on the 4th line at 10 mins agame than no Avery at all.

It would be a crying shame if he was moved, and it'll make Devils matchup even more boring than they already were.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:01 PM
HockeyBurd*

Not to mention that Sean Avery is very marketable. One of the most marketable on the team. You can't tell me that doesn't go into a decision. Not many players on the team have their name chanted by the arena with frequency. Not many people generate buzz (be it negative or positive). So it's hard to imagine an organization that is run so much like a business where immediate profitability gives way to anything else not factoring that in to the equation.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:02 PM
rangers4ever2007

if a team is interested and willing to pay the rangers half of the contract and with byers/weise waiting in the wings...why not?

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:06 PM
chosen

I will love if avery departs. Hope that report about rangers closing the afternoon game is bogus because if another youngster is a bust.....

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:09 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Not to mention that Sean Avery is very marketable. One of the most marketable on the team. You can't tell me that doesn't go into a decision. Not many players on the team have their name chanted by the arena with frequency. Not many people generate buzz (be it negative or positive). So it's hard to imagine an organization that is run so much like a business where immediate profitability gives way to anything else not factoring that in to the equation.
Marketable? You must have missed the last time he was avaEilable and his performancE since them.

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
I'd rather have Avery on the 4th line at 10 mins agame than no Avery at all.
Absolutely true.

Play him at Center over Boyle or Kennedy.. Cycle things around, do whatever is necessary. Avery wherever ultimately makes this team better.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:11 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Did the Stars or Kings fans chant his name in their building?

No team is going to bite at Avery for marketability when they run the risk of him creating tension/riffs in their locker-room because other guys don't like him....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:19 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

i just don't see how they can lose Avery at this point. unless he is loaned or bolts for an Italian hockey club and interns at Gucci. Nor can i see Avery getting claimed by TML on the same team with Dion "Sloppy Seconds" Phaneuf

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:57 PM
XLJ

Avery has had a very strong camp. There is no reason why he should not be on the team. He might have a reduced role from last year. He might be on the 4th line.

Fedentenko sucks if he wasn't Torts boy toy he wouldn't be in rangers camp. I hope to god he doesn't make this team. He played brutal last year on a very talented hockey club.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Avery has had a very strong camp. There is no reason why he should not be on the team. He might have a reduced role from last year. He might be on the 4th line.

Fedentenko sucks if he wasn't Torts boy toy he wouldn't be in rangers camp. I hope to god he doesn't make this team. He played brutal last year on a very talented hockey club.
How do you know this? From a few tweets talking about how he cant score on Lundqvist? It amazes me how people jump to conclusions regarding the phrase "hes having a good camp"...they havent even played a preseason game yet for God's sake.

Regarding Avery, I dont care one bit if he stays or goes.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 02:41 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
How do you know this? From a few tweets talking about how he cant score on Lundqvist? It amazes me how people jump to conclusions regarding the phrase "hes having a good camp"...they havent even played a preseason game yet for God's sake.

You're probably one of the people who thinks Gilroy should be on this team

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 02:41 PM
XLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

Just judging by the things that the beat writers are saying about Avery.This was Jim Cerny wrote on his twitter.

"I think Sean Avery has looked great in camp,he's in top condition, is playing hard, has scored 3 goals in scrimmages, impressive"

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 02:48 PM
ruckus*

We can all make too big a deal out of camp and pre-season.

The thing is, Avery's had a track record of being a differnce maker.

This isn't Grachev or MZA or some unknown we're talkinga bout.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 03:03 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Did the Stars or Kings fans chant his name in their building?

No team is going to bite at Avery for marketability when they run the risk of him creating tension/riffs in their locker-room because other guys don't like him....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Marketable? You must have missed the last time he was avaEilable and his performancE since them.
Sorry but neither of these comments make any sense. It's deflection, pure and simple. He isn't on those other teams. Whether they chanted his name is completely irrelevant... other than to you guys apparently. They chant his name in MSG. The team that currently employs him. The team that currently decides what to do with him... since that's the topic of this thread. He's marketable for the Rangers franchise, to the Rangers fan base (current and potential). He's not marketable as a trade piece. That's not what I was implying. But most organizations aren't run the way the Rangers are. He is BY FAR one of the most marketable draws on this team. It's such a given it doesn't even warrant a discussion. I'm shocked I even had to respond about it.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

If the NHL was smart they wouldn't inhibit Avery. He is a character. He does and says outlandish crap.

Why do you think the NFL is so popular and focused upon in this country? Because it's full of colorful individuals who talk a lot of smack and who do and say a lot of controversial ****. (edit: there are other reasons why but this is a HUGE one)

Let's face it, the NHL is full of uninteresting (though incredibly talented) athletes.

Like the Phaneuf situation. I thought it was ****ing hilarious. Sloppy seconds? Awww poor Dion got his feelings hurt so now Avery has to apologize and all these ridiculous NHL talking heads are acting like what he said was so appalling. Give me a ****ing break.

That's the kind of stuff this league needs if it wants to become popular again; the game itself isn't appealing enough to most people in this country because THEY'VE NEVER TOUCHED A HOCKEY STICK.

Personally, I like hockey even if the guys are boring because I've been playing since I was 7. But look at it from the point of view of someone who lives in Dallas or Nashville or another city where hockey isn't played. If you have a league full of guys who constantly make headlines, wouldn't you at least try to watch a few of their games even if you don't like the sport?

Last edited by Stugots: 09-23-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Kind of Blue

This speculation/debate is nonsense.

Like him or not, Sean Avery is a proven asset in this league. And one who is playoff tested.

Last year isn't enough to go on to even further reduce his role, let alone get rid of him. (By the way, he had 11 goals and 20 assists in what we all consider a "bad" season for him -- and that was with Tortorella giving him the least ATOI he's had as a Ranger.)

Quote:
Among the wings, Sean Avery has had a very strong camp, but the Rangers' plans for him remain unclear. Norwegian phenom Mats Zuccarello, gritty Brandon Prust and veteran tryout candidate Ruslan Fedotenko - a Tortorella favorite - also are competing for spots.
And this is his "competition" -- a guy who has never played an NHL game ("Phenom?" Come on, let's not get ahead of ourselves), a guy who has played 100 NHL games (and I like him), and a guy who shouldn't even be in camp.

If Tortorella doesn't have enough sense to put things in perspective, I can't expect him to be any better this year (Tortorella, not Avery).

Last edited by Kind of Blue: 09-23-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 03:15 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

^

There's other reasons as to why the NFL is so popular. But good points overall.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

delete- sorry double post

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 03:26 PM
McIlrathsWrath

Sean Avery will be on the team come October. No question.

McIlrathsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 03:33 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I doubt they'd dump him in Hartford, and I can't imagine anyone else would want to trade for him.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 04:14 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I don't see Avery being traded, demoted or assigned to Europe (although if there were a Milan hockey team...)

I can, however, see him sitting in the pressbox for 3-4-5 game stretches at a time if he's not playing well and/or pissing off Torts/the refs/the league.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 04:23 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Avery's got lots of intangibles and doesn't have a 7 million cap hit like some other dead wood.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom122205 View Post
Sean Avery will be on the team come October. No question.
Agreed

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote