HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Broons at the Panthers in Rochester

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Boooooth10

vCash: 500
Ellerby just laid out Lucic

Old
09-23-2010, 08:30 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Maybe this team can learn how to start of the season fast. 2-0 to start the preseason. Maybe we can carry over these two wins into our start of our regular season.

Old
09-23-2010, 08:50 PM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip to be Square View Post
3-2 blowing the lead on command..
It's gonna be a fun season with you around.

So just to be safe, and to hopefully keep you from annoyingly complaining about the team no matter what happens, do you want to make the playoffs, or get a top 2/3 pick? Or do you just not want to fall in between?

Please pick, because at this rate you're just going to troll every GDT regardless of the outcome.

Old
09-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post

So just to be safe, and to hopefully keep you from annoyingly complaining about the team no matter what happens, do you want to make the playoffs, or get a top 2/3 pick? Or do you just not want to fall in between?

Please pick, because at this rate you're just going to troll every GDT regardless of the outcome.
agreed.

09-23-2010, 08:53 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Glad to see that Ellerby is having a strong camp. Perhaps he can squeak in on the blue line.

Old
09-23-2010, 09:04 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Can't wait for the post game vids with GR.

Old
09-23-2010, 09:14 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post

I personally want the #1 pick in the draft

Old
09-23-2010, 09:19 PM
sabrefan27

Few observations...

Gudbranson was one of the best players on the ice. He looked incredibly comfortable. He made two strong outlet passes. One led to a breakaway, the other should have. It doesn't look like he needs any more time in juniors.

Plante was spectacular. 3 awesome saves. There's no guarantee that Markstrom is even 3 on the depth chart. It'll be a battle.

Ellerby was pretty awful, other than his nice hit on Lucic. He barely saw the ice in the first 2 periods. He tried to skate around someone in the defensive zone and nearly caused a breakaway. Played more in the third, but had an absolutely awful turnover right in the slot that directly lead to Boston's second goal. He may have bulked up, but he still turns the puck over.

Old
09-23-2010, 09:30 PM
FinlandPanther

[QUOTE=sabrefan27;27915629]Few observations...

Gudbranson was one of the best players on the ice. He looked incredibly comfortable. He made two strong outlet passes. One led to a breakaway, the other should have. It doesn't look like he needs any more time in juniors.

Plante was spectacular. 3 awesome saves. There's no guarantee that Markstrom is even 3 on the depth chart. It'll be a battle.
Ellerby was pretty awful, other than his nice hit on Lucic. He barely saw the ice in the first 2 periods. He tried to skate around someone in the defensive zone and nearly caused a breakaway. Played more in the third, but had an absolutely awful turnover right in the slot that directly lead to Boston's second goal. He may have bulked up, but he still turns the puck over.

im not even being a homer when i say this, but plante cant hold markstroms jockstrap, markstrom is miles ahead of plante and is 4 years younger, has great size and is better in every aspect of the game than plante. plante is likely a career ahl'er, with a little chance to be an ok back-up, while markstrom has elite starter potential. plante was not that good in the camp.... is ellerby just a horrible hockey player because i only hear how bad he is from you, yet yesterday he looked great. i do thank you though for your gudbranson assesment and im glad you gave a little assesment on him as he looked great yesterday as well.

Old
09-23-2010, 09:43 PM
sabrefan27

I said there's no guarantee, and there isn't. We'll see how Markstrom does in real action. It amazes me how people hype these prospects up before they ever play a professional game in North America. For now, Plante played an amazing game tonight and finished last season very strong.

As for Ellerby, he's a trainwreck defensively and one of my most disliked players in a long time. I tried to go in with an open mind tonight, but his turnover was just flat out bad.

Old
09-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
im not even being a homer when i say this, but plante cant hold markstroms jockstrap, markstrom is miles ahead of plante and is 4 years younger, has great size and is better in every aspect of the game than plante. plante is likely a career ahl'er, with a little chance to be an ok back-up, while markstrom has elite starter potential. plante was not that good in the camp.... is ellerby just a horrible hockey player because i only hear how bad he is from you, yet yesterday he looked great. i do thank you though for your gudbranson assesment and im glad you gave a little assesment on him as he looked great yesterday as well.
Plante looked great in rookie camp. And hearing he played really well tonight makes me pretty convinced that he's a damn good goalie. Better than i expected.

Markstrom is definitely hyped up, and definitely highly touted, and much of it is deserved. I mean, the kid dominated an elite men's league as a teenager. But i wouldn't say Plante can't hold Markstrom's jock strap.

Old
09-23-2010, 10:15 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
I said there's no guarantee, and there isn't. We'll see how Markstrom does in real action. It amazes me how people hype these prospects up before they ever play a professional game in North America. For now, Plante played an amazing game tonight and finished last season very strong.

As for Ellerby, he's a trainwreck defensively and one of my most disliked players in a long time. I tried to go in with an open mind tonight, but his turnover was just flat out bad.
plain and simple markstrom has a long and excellent future ahead of him while plante not so much. it doesnt take alot to see plante isnt on the same planet as markstrom skillwise.

we hype markstrom because of what he has done in the SEL which is a better league than the AHL, even though it's not NA ice. markstrom looked good in his first game against carolina where he stopped all 17 shots he faced. markstrom will be the starter in rochester and will take it by storm.

ellerby is not a trainwreck defensively thats just not correct. maybe he wasnt great in rochester but when he was up with the panthers this year he made pretty much no mistakes because he knows he cant try the fancy crap in the NHL and is seeing his limits in the AHL. ellerby looked excellent yesterday and if he didnt have so great of a game today, so be it it happens. i didnt see it so i cant defend him. i see ellerby as a pretty good shutdown puckmoving D man like a faster bryan allen but less physical.

Old
09-23-2010, 10:18 PM
sabrefan27

I watched Ellerby play nearly 70 games last season. I'm not going to be told I'm wrong. He IS terrible defensively and any Amerk fan who watched him last season would tell you the same. And he continued it tonight with a terrible turnover right in the slot.

Old
09-23-2010, 10:28 PM
keithLGA

There's a reason that Ellerby gets the least amount of minutes on defense and it's because he doesn't earn more. I was sitting by the glass when he layed out Lucic but other than that he did nothing. If he wasn't a 1st round pick he'd probably get a little more slack but he's quickly turning out to be a bust. Personally knowing him I want him to succeed and want him to have a full time NHL gig but it's just not going to happen.

As for Plante vs Markstrom.. we'll wait and see. Some goalies take time to develop and really prove themselves. Plante has struggled with injuries in previous seasons and never really had a chance to show what he's capable of. Markstrom still needs to "learn" the North American game.

Someone a few posts back said "and now the Panthers blow the lead" or something like that and they almost did.. but Plante saved the game and secured the win.

If Gudbranson keeps playing like he did at least tonight the Panthers are going to have some tough decisions to make.

David Booth looked awesome out there.. same with Frolik and Wideman as well.

Old
09-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Gudbranson44

now thiss is what i wanna wake up to! good job guys!

Old
09-23-2010, 10:41 PM
keithLGA

Just to bring back a dose of reality... it was a very entertaining game. The Panthers took the lead and held on to the lead. But to quote Pete DeBoer after the game, "It was an entertaining game but as coaches we have a lot of work to do."

A nice way of saying there were a lot of bad things.

Old
09-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

I think Ellerby just chooses to play all his bad games in Rochester. Because he was very good Tuesday night, DeBoer even mentioned him by name as one of the standouts for the Panthers after the game. There's no way he's a bust, I think he'll be on the Panthers fulltime within the next two seasons and will be a solid defensive guy.

Old
09-23-2010, 11:18 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:

Markstrom has played in, no dominated, a professional league for the last two years, the SEL which is a better league than the AHL. He'll have to get used to the N.A. game, but he should be placed higher on the depth chart than Plante right now. He'll have to earn it, but I'm sure he will. Plante is underrated this is true, but there is every justification for the way Markstrom has been hyped up. It's hardly an impetus for amazement.

Old
09-23-2010, 11:31 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Markstrom has played in, no dominated, a professional league for the last two years, the SEL which is a better league than the AHL. He'll have to get used to the N.A. game, but he should be placed higher on the depth chart than Plante right now. He'll have to earn it, but I'm sure he will. Plante is underrated this is true, but there is every justification for the way Markstrom has been hyped up. It's hardly an impetus for amazement.
And we've had hyped up goalies dominate a European league come here before and play terrible. I'm not saying Markstrom will. I expect him to be very good. But to think it's not possible that he will struggle is pretty ridiculous.

Old
09-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Bills09

any word on how kulikov has looked in camp?

Old
09-24-2010, 12:07 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Markie played the other night and looked very solid, didn't allow a goal. Granted the team wasn't full of NHLers, but some played and it was a NA arena. Plante played very well, but so did Markstrom the other night.

Old
09-24-2010, 12:08 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills09 View Post
any word on how kulikov has looked in camp?
Very well from what I've gathered. Kid's the real deal.

Old
09-24-2010, 06:23 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
During the live chat on GR's blog, he mentioned that he thinks the team wants to extend McCabe albeit at a discounted rate and apparently the feeling is mutual about extending. I kinda hope thats not true as the Panthers could really use an upgrade on an aging McCabe at this point.

Old
09-24-2010, 08:33 AM
gizmo12688

vCash: 50
I wouldn't mind McCabe staying at a discount. With Widemen (a right handed shot) now on the PP, we could see McCabe's point totals go up this season. That's just my thoughts there.

Old
09-24-2010, 08:38 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Few observations...

Quote:

Quote:
I watched Ellerby play nearly 70 games last season. I'm not going to be told I'm wrong. He IS terrible defensively and any Amerk fan who watched him last season would tell you the same. And he continued it tonight with a terrible turnover right in the slot.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually agree with a lot of what you're saying. Ellerby shouldn't be given a pass based on draft position. He's obviously not the most well received player by the coaching staff either, so they see things they don't like as he hasn't been given the ice time.

I will say though, he hasn't looked terrible when I've seen him play in camp or in the NHL. Not as bad as you describe in the AHL. Similar to Matthias, so some players just do better in the NHL. Could be a motivation issue, but it does happen.

With regards to Markstrom, I agree that he needs to learn the NA game, but aside from that, I think he has proven enough in the SEL and International play. I'm not one of the overhypers by any means, but I want him to learn the NA game and work his way up.

Also agree that Plante is underrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
During the live chat on GR's blog, he mentioned that he thinks the team wants to extend McCabe albeit at a discounted rate and apparently the feeling is mutual about extending. I kinda hope thats not true as the Panthers could really use an upgrade on an aging McCabe at this point.
I pretty much agree. Unless he comes at a REALLY discounted rate of $3 million or so, I don't see it being worth it.

Closed Thread