HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best player avaliable or draft for need?

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2005, 01:49 AM
King_Brown

vCash: 500
Who said I wouldnt draft him? I would look at all my options, and try to get a deal from any team for that pick. I would much rather get a package with players such has Mike Richards, Jeff Carter then select Crosby. And I had a choice between Corsby and Phanuef I would choose Dion.

Old
04-23-2005, 04:42 AM
Jessie Lumsden

No disrespect to Crosby, but I would choose Phaneuf as well.

Old
04-23-2005, 05:49 AM
calgarylen13

I find it intriguing how its those same people who were whinging that we lost the cup because we didn't have another top 6 forward, are the same ignoring the fact that Kopitar may in fact be the player we need in the future. All of this Eurobashing is just disgusting...the Europeans play a different style of game, however when they come to the NHL they can influence it very well. I distinctly remember the Czech Republic were the team to beat in World Hockey before the 2002 Winter Olympics. Slovakia always put up good showings, as did the Russians (without a defence). Sweden have fire power and Finland has a lot of grit, so to go Eurobashing is absolutely pathetic.

The Europeans have just as much capability to play in the NHL as the North Americans, and in many cases they can lead teams. Selanne (though his past his date), Naslund and Pavel Bure are to name a few. Now while I can already predict that some fools will start bashing the three players I mentioned, they all have been very capable scorers in their time. Sure their defensive game might not be 100%, but isn't it the defenders job and the goalies job to defend the net? In a well constructed team, you will have some flashy players who can net those goals, and some defensive players too who will bail those out when they jump in.

Though none of that is really relevant to Anze Kopitar, he is very capable defensively and has a solid game! He can score, he can play defensive...he's raw on ability to use his size, but everyone can learn that in time. And i'm deeply offended by all of those who are quick to disclose him for his nationality. Last time I checked Regehr was born in Brazil, and Iginla was of Nigerian decent...or does that not count because they've played for the Canadian national team

A persons nationality is rarely relevant in their potential, only in the way they've been brought into the game and the style of play...considering i'm sure not many of you have ever seen a Slovenijan play hockey, you can't really past judgement to say its "another European"...as there is such a vast difference between the Defenceless Russians and the allmighty Czech outfit. And the gutsy Finns, and Flashy Swedes...how can you put that all in a group called "Europeans" and disclose them as some lower being, I have no idea.

But in reference to the comment on Sutter Players, they have their place in a team, but not all over a team...it is a team and you don't need a team of one player over. When you play some of the classier outfits they'll run right over you, they'll figure the way through and then we'll look hapless. We need some highly skilled players who can slot in and create more variety in the team, especailly if they can score.

Old
04-23-2005, 09:51 AM
Hunter74

/\/\/\

I think you are really blowing this out of proportion. I dont think anyone here has bashed Euro players. Sutter also does like skilled players and he doesn't care where they come from as long as they play with heart and have an excellent work ethic.

The "Sutter type" does include skill guys who dont just run around throwing hits all night otherwise he wouldn't of traded for Rienprecht or drafted Boyd, Sietsonen, Ramholt or kept Lombardi, Gelinas or Leopold. So dont imply that Sutter doesn't like skill players he just wont take a Skill only player. The skill players Sutter seems to like have been good 2 way skilll guys who will go into the corners and work there butts off and not just play it soft.

Now if Kopitar is a decent 2 way player and has a willingness to go into the ugly areas and will work his butt off you can bet he would be considered a Sutter type. As of right now there isn't alot of info on him so most people are just gonna have to go off what they read. If what they read is different than what your saying then it sucks to be you. Most posters tend to put more stock in scouting reports that they have read as opposed to beleiveing another posters perosonal opinion. No offense.

If I remember correctly Sutter loved having Selanne on his team b/c he had tons of skill and worked hard and was a team player. Doesn't sound like a guy who hates skilled players or "European" players. Same for most Flames fans as we have had a ton of skill guys come and go from the Flames roster over the years and many of them have been from Europe.

We lost in the SCF b/c the injuries finally cought up to us and we ran out of gas. Maybe if we had 2 of our injured skill guys(Lombardi, Rhino) in the lineup we would of won but we didn't. Of course if the NHL actually did there job fairly we would of won it in six games but whats stolen is stolen. Hopefully when the NHL starts back up it will be alot more fair than it was.

Old
04-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Badger Bob

Seriously, where did the "Euro bashing" come in? One other poster posed some potentially legimate issues, regarding one prospect. No serious Flames fan fails to recognize the contributions of European players on the roster. Kiprusoff, Nieminen, Lydman, Nilson, even Saprykin at times. After watching the World Cup, it should be patently obvious to everyone that the Finns' system most closely resembles the North American style of play.

Some of the stereotypes about certain European players is certainly true, especially Eastern Europeans. Pavel Bure is a perfect example of a player of undeniable skill and talent. However, his play away from the puck often left much to be desired. It's the same with Alexei Yashin. A lot of the time, they played when they felt like it, and there are plenty of similar examples. (Yes, it's not just Europeans either. Having Cory Stillman's name inscribed, has to gall more than a few of us.) A couple of years ago, a quote appeared in THN. An an anonymous player said that there are some players who'd rather go home to win the World Championship in Europe than compete for the Stanley Cup.

Top six forwards were missing (Lombardi & Reinprecht) because they were injured. Who knows? Having one, or both, might've been enough to alter events. At the very least, those two would've helped the anemic PP.

What we need to put a stop to is referring to "Sutter-type" players. That phrase appears here with nauseating regularity. The team is not going to be completely stocked with Western Canadian grinders.

Old
04-23-2005, 05:18 PM
Jessie Lumsden

Can you imagine Pushkarev playing on a Sutter coached team? He would last about two shifts, then it would be a one way plane ticket back to Europe

Old
04-23-2005, 07:30 PM
calgarylen13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Seriously, where did the "Euro bashing" come in? One other poster posed some potentially legimate issues, regarding one prospect. No serious Flames fan fails to recognize the contributions of European players on the roster. Kiprusoff, Nieminen, Lydman, Nilson, even Saprykin at times. After watching the World Cup, it should be patently obvious to everyone that the Finns' system most closely resembles the North American style of play.

Some of the stereotypes about certain European players is certainly true, especially Eastern Europeans.

What we need to put a stop to is referring to "Sutter-type" players. That phrase appears here with nauseating regularity. The team is not going to be completely stocked with Western Canadian grinders.
I'll deal with these issues in reverse order and in separate posts.

Hallelujah! I agree totally, and I agree the team does not need to be stocked with Western Canadian grinder, what i've been saying all along! We need a few flashy guys who can convert, that is what Kopitar is, though he does have a potential physical side.

Also i'd hardly call Slovenija Eastern Europe! It shares borders with Italy and Austria, which is hardly Eastern Europe, more central, so I think its fairer to line a Slovenijan player up with Austrians and Germans as opposed to Czechs and Russians. Slovenija and Russia have nothing to do with each other

Old
04-23-2005, 07:40 PM
kruezer

Yeah, I think we need to just set out a rule that a 'Sutter' type player is simply someone who works hard. Hell, Darryl had 40 goals his rookie year, it shouldn't have anything to do with skill level.

Old
04-23-2005, 10:16 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarylen13
Also i'd hardly call Slovenija Eastern Europe!
Huh? Who wrote anything about Slovenia?

Here's the post again, in case some didn't catch it the first time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Some of the stereotypes about certain European players is certainly true, especially Eastern Europeans. Pavel Bure is a perfect example of a player of undeniable skill and talent. However, his play away from the puck often left much to be desired. It's the same with Alexei Yashin. A lot of the time, they played when they felt like it, and there are plenty of similar examples. (Yes, it's not just Europeans either. Having Cory Stillman's name inscribed, has to gall more than a few of us.) A couple of years ago, a quote appeared in THN. An an anonymous player said that there are some players who'd rather go home to win the World Championship in Europe than compete for the Stanley Cup.
At last check, Russia was situated in Eastern Europe.

No sarcasm intended - there were general comments for discussion purposes. It's not to place any value judgment on your golden boy. Maybe he's as wonderful as you advertise, maybe he's a shot in the dark. Sorry, but not everybody else is fixated on this one prospect - sorry forgot the name already. (Without a scheduled draft, it's really not high on everbody's agenda.) It's been duly noted that you're extremely high on him, but for gosh sakes, it doesn't mean that every other post has some association that one player, you're endlessly pushing.

Last edited by Badger Bob: 04-23-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old
04-27-2005, 01:11 PM
Hockeycanada*

It would be wonderful if we could get one of these guys:
-Crosby
-Brule
-McArdel(sp?)

Old
04-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Eb0la11

I think Setoguchi is who Sutter has his eye on in fact. This guy hits everything, has an incredibly hard and rather accurate slapper when used as well as a nice wrister. I think if hes still there at Sutter's pick Sutter wont hesitate to grab him.

Old
04-27-2005, 04:47 PM
King_Brown

Whoa where did this Sutter had no place for skill players. Darryl Sutter is more then willing to take on skill players, as long as they put in effort and play smart defence. A Sutter player is not one that just hits and grinds it out, they are players willing to go that extra distance, play smart defensivley and have worth ethic.

I like Setgouchi from that world under 18's. I felt he was one of the best players out there. I think Sutter would take him, and im pretty sure he has seen a lot of him. Wouldnt mind that pick at all.

We did need a another forward to take pressure of Iggy, and Sutter said himself that if we had Deano, Lomardi one of thoose guys we wouldnt have gone 7 gamnes it woudl of been over quicker.

Closed Thread