HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobrovsky baptism of fire, give it to him Now!

Old
09-23-2010, 03:46 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
This cat don't need the AHL or any of that nonsense, he played in a better league in Russia, on a poor team where he faced tremendous pressure night in and night out....And all this liberal nonsense about worrying about his mental well being etc......FERGETABOUTIT ! If he has the metal to be an NHL goalie he will not get all hung up on having a bad game here and there.Ray Charles can see this cat has it in spades [ and ray is blind and dead ].Let the young man have a legit shot at # 1 and if you want to worry about a goalies mental health being fragile.....worry about Leighton or Boosh then.
better? certainly...but it's a different game over there. Just because he looked good in 1 period of action, where he wasn't even tested much, doesn't mean he's ready to be our starting goalie. As it stands, we have a capable starter and back-up, so there is absolutely no point in rushing Bobrovsky. Let him play in the AHL for a few months, and if need be, call him up to get a few starts to see what he can do in a real, full NHL game

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 04:08 PM
infidelappel*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I want to see how well bob can play when he isn't getting peppered with shots all night, and only has to face 15-20 shots. Some goaltenders can't adjust to playing a slow game. Some need to face shots constantly to be good.
Honestly, he looked solid enough in coming off of the bench and getting hit with a handful of shots sporadically that I don't really think it'll be an issue for him. Or at least, not as big of an issue as it can be for others...virtually every goalie will play better if they get into a rhythm with a good amount of shots. Except maybe Leighton.

The good thing about him is that he's very active moving through the crease and getting out to play the puck a little, even if it's just touching it down for the D. Both of those things usually make it easier to feel 'in the game' when you're not getting a lot of shots.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
It was only one period. He needs to be in the AHL playing as their starter for a season before he's ready.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 05:13 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Bobrovsky is going to have people's hopes so high that there's going to be no possible way he can meet them.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 05:20 PM
CptCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Bobrovsky is going to have people's hopes so high that there's going to be no possible way he can meet them.
What? You say he can't cure aids? Hmph...

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Start Leighton*

Quote:
I think Eriksson becomes the long term goalie partially because of Bobrovsky's expectations. But I would be happy as long as one of the two becomes a good goalie.

Start Leighton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 07:09 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Exactly. Whether his game might be ready, given his age and experience he is, like college four year grads like Holmstrom or Testwuide, older than JVR and Giroux and all the rest of the 'just out of Jr.' prospects.

However, he has never lived in N.America, doesn't speak English and could use some time to adapt to the game here - whether he 'needs' it right away or not.

If a baptism by fire turns into 3rd degree burns and deep psychological trauma a month in, what has been accomplished? You damage a good prospect by ruining his confidence.

Leighton and Boosh will play well enough for the Flyers to get off to a good start.

Given recent history, we might need to call a goalie up at some point.

Why not wait until we need someone and see whether Bob or Back is more ready for the call up at that time?

If it turns out that Bob adjusts quickly and dominates the AHL, he can force them to give him a chance with the big club. If not, a year there won't hurt his development.
Bobrovsky is actually 8 months younger than Giroux, and 7-8 mohths older than JVR.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 08:35 PM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Look if the guy lights up pre-season, and shows up the other goaltenders, then give him the backup spot on the NHL roster. If he looks anything under par compared to our other keepers, then he starts in the AHL.

Talking about denting his confidence if he has to play in the AHL, yeah because you are all NHL talented netminders right. It's because of the attitude of throw them into the fire, that we have ruined a couple of guys careers. For god sake, be a little ****ing patient once in your lives.
Well no, most of what I said was in response to the whole "Bob puts up perfect numbers in preseason, send him to AHL anyway." but in your last post you pretty much agreed with me instead of what your original quoted post said, lol. It was just a what if. I think we all know, the probablity is, he will be starting as backup at best, or send to AHL for a few games. I don't mind it personally, that was all mostly in response to the "what if he posted perfect numbers" ideal of your post, lol.

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 09:11 PM
infidelappel*

OMG HE WAS SO GOOD AGAIN TONIGHT LET'S RENAME THE VEZINA.

No seriously, he played well again but I think some of his issues showed a little more clearly. Though he looked good in a couple scrums, I worry about his ability to deal with heavy traffic from the point, something Reese has also commented on. He should get used to dealing with that in the A, though.

His lateral movement and puck tracking are both really solid, though, and he's good in tight. Bodes well for him.

Old
09-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

He does go down in the butterfly pretty early.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
OMG HE WAS SO GOOD AGAIN TONIGHT LET'S RENAME THE VEZINA.

No seriously, he played well again but I think some of his issues showed a little more clearly. Though he looked good in a couple scrums, I worry about his ability to deal with heavy traffic from the point, something Reese has also commented on. He should get used to dealing with that in the A, though.

His lateral movement and puck tracking are both really solid, though, and he's good in tight. Bodes well for him.
Yeah. He looked shaky with traffic in front of the net while the puck was back out at the point. I watched him go down in the butterfly earlier than he should.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 09:16 PM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Every goal he let up(aside from the Kadri shoot out goal) was up top. And he was pretty close to saving that Kadri shot. He could use some work with playing against things heading for his water bottle(filled with vodka of course). Not a bad outing for Bobo though. Boucher looked pretty good (:

Boosh starts, Bob backs it up?

Old
09-23-2010, 09:31 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Give him a year in the AHL.... bob is gonna be good I think.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 09:38 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Bob sucks!!! Waive him now! More like BobBlowsky. Man this guy is garbage!

Thats why we play more than one preseason game. Bob looked human tonight but still played pretty well. Still needs some work but the skill is definitely there. Would love to see him play 2 periods next game

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:22 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeany View Post
Boosh starts, Bob backs it up?
Horrible plan.

Bob needs to be playing games, not sitting on the bench. Unless something goes terribly wrong for Boosh/Leighton or terribly well for Bobrovsky, he's not going to get games with the big club.

It's the Phantoms for him, and that's the right decision. He can play the vast majority of games there (especially as Backlund continues to ease back in after his injury) and adjust.

Boosh becoming our starter means Leighton has well and truly lost whatever magic he bottled up last season, and that means trouble. I like Boosh and think he really wasn't given a fair shot last year (he had a long stretch of games where he was playing very well and losing games in which he had no goal support whatsoever), but if he takes the reins in net it's likely because something's gone wrong. And I'm not sure he can hold onto them for that long, either.

Old
09-24-2010, 12:34 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
Yeah. He looked shaky with traffic in front of the net while the puck was back out at the point. I watched him go down in the butterfly earlier than he should.
Yeah. He's good in scrums down low because it's harder for players to get the shot top cheese and his low coverage and lateral movement are both terrific, but when there's distance between him and the puck AND he can't see, he lacks a bit of size. He's gotta keep working on keeping his hands up higher when he goes down...he's been really close to a lot of the higher shots, and if he can just keep his hands a little higher he should start getting just enough to tip them high (which he was doing in the SO with that blocker).

As for most of the goals that did go in top shelf on him tonight, there's not much he could have done. The point shot was tipped and nigh unstoppable for anyone, and the stuff in the shootout was...just ridiculous. Especially LOLby Armstrong's slapper. I'm not going to fault him for those, but I do think his crouch - while amazing for lateral mobility and quick bottom coverage - is also going to be problematic on high stuff through traffic if he can't see it.

Either way, I'd like to see him get 2 periods somewhere, but doubt we will. Leighton badly needs to shake off the rust (or maybe it's just the Leighton on him), and Boosh needs more time to see if he can build on what was a very, very solid performance tonight. He was pretty close to perfect, all things considered.

Old
09-24-2010, 04:35 AM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Bob sucks!!! Waive him now! More like BobBlowsky. Man this guy is garbage!

Thats why we play more than one preseason game. Bob looked human tonight but still played pretty well. Still needs some work but the skill is definitely there. Would love to see him play 2 periods next game
That is EXACTLY what my original post is all about ! Give him a LEGIT shot at making THIS team.I too would like to see him start a game and play a few periods, not just a period here and there with the mindset that no matter what he is going to the AHL. All this nonsense that he needs to get use to this and that is pure RUBBISH ! This cat is NOT your typical rookie that needs that kind of system to work through.I live in Fla now and have not seen him play yet for the Flyers in any pre season games, but i have seen enough video of him from russia to make a judgement as to say give him a legit shot....He has the skills in my opinion to warrant a reasonable legitimate chance to be with the big club...If he don't make it,then so be it, send his a$$ down to the AHL.I agree with your post about giving him 2 periods in a game.....that is a fair deal.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 07:22 AM
jb**

Quote:
Very possible. amazes me what 2 periods of hockey against ahl players does to people. So i suppose if he did bad he would have bust lable already as well. He needs to start a few games at the end of the preseason when teams have most of thier roster set to get a better look.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:19 AM
seanerixon

Quote:
Horrible plan.

Bob needs to be playing games, not sitting on the bench. Unless something goes terribly wrong for Boosh/Leighton or terribly well for Bobrovsky, he's not going to get games with the big club.

It's the Phantoms for him, and that's the right decision. He can play the vast majority of games there (especially as Backlund continues to ease back in after his injury) and adjust.

Boosh becoming our starter means Leighton has well and truly lost whatever magic he bottled up last season, and that means trouble. I like Boosh and think he really wasn't given a fair shot last year (he had a long stretch of games where he was playing very well and losing games in which he had no goal support whatsoever), but if he takes the reins in net it's likely because something's gone wrong. And I'm not sure he can hold onto them for that long, either.
No, I meant down the road in the season. I agreed that Bob should start some AHL games first. Sorry, I should include details in every post. I don't think Leighton's luck will continue, unfortunately. Kudos to him for getting a decent contract for himself lol. It's sad, I personally like the guy. But I don't feel like he'll carry it over to this season. It's only preseason, we'll see what happens.

Old
09-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Very possible. amazes me what 2 periods of hockey against ahl players does to people. So i suppose if he did bad he would have bust lable already as well. He needs to start a few games at the end of the preseason when teams have most of thier roster set to get a better look.
Flyers fans? Taking extreme positions on various topics with little to no regard for logic or sober-mindedness? How surprising.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:22 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
That is EXACTLY what my original post is all about ! Give him a LEGIT shot at making THIS team.I too would like to see him start a game and play a few periods, not just a period here and there with the mindset that no matter what he is going to the AHL. All this nonsense that he needs to get use to this and that is pure RUBBISH ! This cat is NOT your typical rookie that needs that kind of system to work through.I live in Fla now and have not seen him play yet for the Flyers in any pre season games, but i have seen enough video of him from russia to make a judgement as to say give him a legit shot....He has the skills in my opinion to warrant a reasonable legitimate chance to be with the big club...If he don't make it,then so be it, send his a$$ down to the AHL.I agree with your post about giving him 2 periods in a game.....that is a fair deal.
You haven't even watched him play for the Flyers yet? Well guess what, him playing over here against NHL/AHL talent, on a different surface, makes a bit difference from playing in the KHL. The style is totally different.

This 'cat' DOES need more time to work on his game, because it has flaws. I want ot see him play a full game (or at least a half or 2 periods) at the end of camp when teams are closer to a set roster just to see what he can do, but I'll bet almost anything he's headed for Adirondack, which is the right move. I'm not saying he has to under all circumstances, but the 'right' circumstances for him to start this season as the Flyers #1 are like some perfect storm of goaltending coincidence (and Leights/Boosh dropping the ball) and it's not gonna happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Agreed. I said that after the game against NJ, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeany View Post
No, I meant down the road in the season. I agreed that Bob should start some AHL games first. Sorry, I should include details in every post. I don't think Leighton's luck will continue, unfortunately. Kudos to him for getting a decent contract for himself lol. It's sad, I personally like the guy. But I don't feel like he'll carry it over to this season. It's only preseason, we'll see what happens.
I don't think there is any point whatsoever in bringing him up if he's not going to be starting. Having him as the backup is just a waste of valuable development time this season.

Old
09-24-2010, 10:33 AM
captainpaxil

in six periods each goalie having played two, it seems our depth chart is reversed. bobrovsky has been the best followed by boucher and then leighton. theres plenty of time til the season starts but im interested in how long the trend continues. its made me really happy theres so many preseason games so we can get a solid look at them all

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:53 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
I live in Fla now and have not seen him play yet for the Flyers .

i stopped reading and discounted all your other posts after this.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 11:09 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
in six periods each goalie having played two, it seems our depth chart is reversed. bobrovsky has been the best followed by boucher and then leighton. theres plenty of time til the season starts but im interested in how long the trend continues. its made me really happy theres so many preseason games so we can get a solid look at them all
In terms of doing his job and stopping the puck I think Boosh has been just as solid as BoboCop, to be honest. He obviously doesn't have as much skill, but he did his job almost perfectly in regulation, he looked good.

Bobrovsky has been tested a lot in the shootout, though, and looks pretty terrific there. I'm curious to see how both of them play throughout the rest of preseason.

On a side note, I think Boosh may well take the job from Leighton.

Old
09-24-2010, 11:18 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Quote:
In terms of doing his job and stopping the puck I think Boosh has been just as solid as BoboCop, to be honest. He obviously doesn't have as much skill, but he did his job almost perfectly in regulation, he looked good.

Bobrovsky has been tested a lot in the shootout, though, and looks pretty terrific there. I'm curious to see how both of them play throughout the rest of preseason.

On a side note, I think Boosh may well take the job from Leighton.
Agreed, I think boosh looked better than leights.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote