HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

All Things MSG Network and TV (FiOS, Dish, HD, etc.)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-23-2010, 05:21 PM
  #26
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !
 
x BEUKEBOOM x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NY Rangerville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
don't blame dolan for not giving it up. the second he does me and thousands of others will be switching to fios once and for all.
The truth to that statement is Dolan is the equivalent of a slumlord, as far as cable providers go and should offer better service to his customers plus his beloved HD feed, then he wouldnt have to worry about losing customers.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 05:55 PM
  #27
DubiDubiDoo
Registered User
 
DubiDubiDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
This is the biggest 'incorrect information' of them all. Dolan implies that DirecTV is withholding NFL Sunday Ticket from Cablevision, when it is the NFL who decides who will carry their product.
You just said yourself that Dolan implies that DirectTV is withholding NFL Sunday ticket....so how is this incorrect information? The fact is, Dolan is after NFL Sunday Ticket, he will use any means to try and get his hands on it. I didn't say his implications that what DirectTV and the NFL have worked out is wrong, I was just explaining why he may be using it as leverage.

To further the arguement that Cablevision may make though,-
Can you tell me why the NFL would not sell the rights to NFL Sunday Ticket to all carriers? Surely they would make more money than by just selling to DirectTV alone.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 07:50 PM
  #28
Gresch04
Registered User
 
Gresch04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueJoe89 View Post
Honestly, I must say I am happy with Cablevision's service as well as how they treat customers. I called up and said I was contemplating a switch to Direct TV. They went ahead an upgraded me to the Gold Cable Package and gave me $20 off my bill for the next two years so I would stay with them. That was more then fair on their part and I will continue my service with them.

Also last year, they provided me with NHL Center Ice for free after I had major issues with my cable feed coming into my house. I have found if you are reasonable and friendly with the Cablevision reps they will go above and beyond to satisfy their customers.
That's not good service, that's a desperation tactic to keep you on an inferior product. Great service is offering VALUE without THREAT. Like all cable and other providers - greed - not service is the focus.

Gresch04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 07:52 PM
  #29
Gresch04
Registered User
 
Gresch04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
MSG is in HD on Center Ice these days. They worked out an agreement late last season
Is it on the Center Ice channels specifically or does the MSG channel become "unlocked"? Just curious of how it works since I might subscribe now.

Gresch04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 07:54 PM
  #30
Gresch04
Registered User
 
Gresch04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Standard Definition Rangers from a company looking to control the internet makes it 100000000x better?

yeah no

and for you geniuses that can't understand why Dolan won't put MSGHD on Fios, imagine you had a company, would you want to make your main competition MORE desirable? Probably not....

They already have the revenue for SD MSG, so to give them MSGHD is purely a luxury.
Except that CONTENT should be available to all and not held back ILLEGALLY as a "competitive edge". When you can't compete, you cheat? That's Dolan's motto.

Gresch04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:52 PM
  #31
drewcon40
Registered User
 
drewcon40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: born LI, live SI
Posts: 843
vCash: 500
I have FiOs and live in Staten Island. I can't even get Cablevision if I wanted it. Time Warner and DirecTV both have MSG HD. Time Warner, I understand due to not competing for the same dollar
However, I don't understand providing to DirecTV who competes in some markets.

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 08:46 AM
  #32
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
You just said yourself that Dolan implies that DirectTV is withholding NFL Sunday ticket....so how is this incorrect information?
It's incorrect because DirecTV is NOT withholding NFL Sunday Ticket from Cablevision. The NFL decides that.

Quote:
To further the arguement that Cablevision may make though,-
Can you tell me why the NFL would not sell the rights to NFL Sunday Ticket to all carriers? Surely they would make more money than by just selling to DirectTV alone.
There is nothing in your question that furthers Dolan's argument. The NFL has made a business decision to sell their Sunday Ticket package to DirecTV, who is paying extra for exclusivity. The NFL has that right, and again, for purposes of this discussion, it is an NFL decision, not a DirecTV decision.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:31 AM
  #33
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresch04 View Post
Is it on the Center Ice channels specifically or does the MSG channel become "unlocked"? Just curious of how it works since I might subscribe now.
Center Ice channels specifically

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 09:46 AM
  #34
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
I have FiOs and live in Staten Island. I can't even get Cablevision if I wanted it. Time Warner and DirecTV both have MSG HD. Time Warner, I understand due to not competing for the same dollar
However, I don't understand providing to DirecTV who competes in some markets.
I was surprised myself when MSG HD showed up on DirecTV a few years ago. Most likely Dolan looked at all the extra money he's receiving from DirecTV subs all over the country, who he cannot reach without DirecTV, and decided that's worth more than what he'll lose regarding local Cablevision customers switching to DirecTV.

Either way, I'm very glad I can watch the Rangers in HD on DirecTV. And the picture is spectacular...absolutely stunning.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:13 AM
  #35
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!
 
Stugots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,376
vCash: 500
I have Cablevision. I don't know if this applies to anyone because most of you have digital boxes, but in my house we had 5 tv's, only one in my den and one in my living room had digital boxes. The other 3 just went straight from the wall to the back of the TV without box.

Over the months of the last few years, Cablevision slowly cut out the amount of channels you can have without a box, until this month when they require you to have a digital box or you don't get their cable.

My point is: I don't watch TV a lot, but I do enjoy the basic channels like USA, AMC, FX, ESPN, etc. I don't need a box in every single room of my house and don't want to have to pay the extra $ for them. Why can't I just get the basic channels, why the hell do I need a box in every room with a tv?

This has nothing to do with MSGHD, I just thought I'd mention it here because I hate Cablevision so very much and will be switching soon.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:02 PM
  #36
1940rip
Registered User
 
1940rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
I have Cablevision. I don't know if this applies to anyone because most of you have digital boxes, but in my house we had 5 tv's, only one in my den and one in my living room had digital boxes. The other 3 just went straight from the wall to the back of the TV without box.

Over the months of the last few years, Cablevision slowly cut out the amount of channels you can have without a box, until this month when they require you to have a digital box or you don't get their cable.

My point is: I don't watch TV a lot, but I do enjoy the basic channels like USA, AMC, FX, ESPN, etc. I don't need a box in every single room of my house and don't want to have to pay the extra $ for them. Why can't I just get the basic channels, why the hell do I need a box in every room with a tv?

This has nothing to do with MSGHD, I just thought I'd mention it here because I hate Cablevision so very much and will be switching soon.
Verizon has the same requirement. Box on each set.

1940rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:28 PM
  #37
DubiDubiDoo
Registered User
 
DubiDubiDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
It's incorrect because DirecTV is NOT withholding NFL Sunday Ticket from Cablevision. The NFL decides that.




There is nothing in your question that furthers Dolan's argument. The NFL has made a business decision to sell their Sunday Ticket package to DirecTV, who is paying extra for exclusivity. The NFL has that right, and again, for purposes of this discussion, it is an NFL decision, not a DirecTV decision.
But again, we are not talking about whether Dolan and Cablevision are right in their assumption and implications. I'm not looking to drag this out, but you must understand that it is indeed their implication. I'm not sure why your not getting this. I know for a fact that Cablevision will use any ruling in favor of a verizon claim of competitive disadvantage in an effort to get NFL sunday ticket.

You say my arguement doesn't further cablevisions cause, and to be honest I could really care less about Dolans arguement, but then why is it that MSG and Cablevison are not allowed to make business decisions as freely as the NFL does with its broadcast rights?

What everyone here is missing is that what Cablevision was doing was never violating any rules or laws. In fact, it was purposely allowed for terrestrial cable providers to be able to better compete. Now with the FCC ruling they are trying to change the rules to make what cablevision (and others) is doing wrong, if a competitor is suffering because of it. Thats how these things work, if you don't see the correlation, I don't know what to say. Cablevision will make the claim that it is at a competitive disadvantage if directTV is allowed to compete in the same market area with sole access to NFL football. I'm making no claims that they are correct or not, I'm just putting it out ther based on what I hear.

Everyone keeps crying its a crime its a crime, its not...its just business and last I checked its still America.

EDIT: After reading these post on the board after typing them they sound a bit rude, but thats not my intention and I do apologize, I just cant seem to get the tone right in words if you know what i mean.


Last edited by DubiDubiDoo: 09-24-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Reread
DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:31 PM
  #38
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,051
vCash: 500
Last night was my first Ranger game on FiOS.... Does anyone else have a flat panel and notice that their Verizon box is upscaling the picture to 16:9 (widescreen) format?

I assumed prior to watching the game that it would come through 4:3 with the letterboxing but to my surprise my game was upscaled to 16:9 (widescreen) with no distortion at all in the display....

I'll tell you one thing I sure miss hockey in HD! I had a hard time seeing the names & numbers on the back of their jerseys at times...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:40 PM
  #39
DubiDubiDoo
Registered User
 
DubiDubiDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
I have Cablevision. I don't know if this applies to anyone because most of you have digital boxes, but in my house we had 5 tv's, only one in my den and one in my living room had digital boxes. The other 3 just went straight from the wall to the back of the TV without box.

Over the months of the last few years, Cablevision slowly cut out the amount of channels you can have without a box, until this month when they require you to have a digital box or you don't get their cable.

My point is: I don't watch TV a lot, but I do enjoy the basic channels like USA, AMC, FX, ESPN, etc. I don't need a box in every single room of my house and don't want to have to pay the extra $ for them. Why can't I just get the basic channels, why the hell do I need a box in every room with a tv?

This has nothing to do with MSGHD, I just thought I'd mention it here because I hate Cablevision so very much and will be switching soon.
Its probably due in part to a few things like no more analog broadcasts and all digital transmissions that may require format conversions, but I'd guess most of all it probably provides descrambling for the companies to better regulate what channels your getting. Any older tv without a digital tuner would need it anyway nowadays.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:45 PM
  #40
NYRKindms
Registered User
 
NYRKindms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
But again, we are not talking about whether Dolan and Cablevision are right in their assumption and implications. I'm not looking to drag this out, but you must understand that it is indeed their implication. I'm not sure why your not getting this. I know for a fact that Cablevision will use any ruling in favor of a verizon claim of competitive disadvantage in an effort to get NFL sunday ticket.

You say my arguement doesn't further cablevisions cause, and to be honest I could really care less about Dolans arguement, but then why is it that MSG and Cablevison are not allowed to make business decisions as freely as the NFL does with its broadcast rights?

What everyone here is missing is that what Cablevision was doing was never violating any rules or laws. In fact, it was purposely allowed for terrestrial cable providers to be able to better compete. Now with the FCC ruling they are trying to change the rules to make what cablevision (and others) is doing wrong, if a competitor is suffering because of it. Thats how these things work, if you don't see the correlation, I don't know what to say. Cablevision will make the claim that it is at a competitive disadvantage if directTV is allowed to compete in the same market area with sole access to NFL football. I'm making no claims that they are correct or not, I'm just putting it out ther based on what I hear.

Everyone keeps crying its a crime its a crime, its not...its just business and last I checked its still America.
What makes the issue even more complex is that Dolan isn't "officially" any part of MSG and the content side of the business. If I remember correctly they legally split the companies so you have Cablevision as 1 entity, MSG and MSG Network as another etc etc. So in essence even though we all know Dolan has his hands in it etc etc they can legally argue that Cablevision is buying a product from MSG and MSG network and who MSG network allows to buy that product is up to them NOT cablevision.

It does follow the same idea of the NFL and their offering. NFL decides who gets the product and what kind of product it will be. The biggest difference is that there isn't the air of collusion around the NFL / directv deal as there is with Cablevision blocking FiOS and others.

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:46 PM
  #41
DubiDubiDoo
Registered User
 
DubiDubiDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Last night was my first Ranger game on FiOS.... Does anyone else have a flat panel and notice that their Verizon box is upscaling the picture to 16:9 (widescreen) format?

I assumed prior to watching the game that it would come through 4:3 with the letterboxing but to my surprise my game was upscaled to 16:9 (widescreen) with no distortion at all in the display....

I'll tell you one thing I sure miss hockey in HD! I had a hard time seeing the names & numbers on the back of their jerseys at times...
The good news is you dont have to see Fatso goalie or those ugly Ilses uniforms in HD!

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:53 PM
  #42
DubiDubiDoo
Registered User
 
DubiDubiDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKindms View Post
What makes the issue even more complex is that Dolan isn't "officially" any part of MSG and the content side of the business. If I remember correctly they legally split the companies so you have Cablevision as 1 entity, MSG and MSG Network as another etc etc. So in essence even though we all know Dolan has his hands in it etc etc they can legally argue that Cablevision is buying a product from MSG and MSG network and who MSG network allows to buy that product is up to them NOT cablevision.

It does follow the same idea of the NFL and their offering. NFL decides who gets the product and what kind of product it will be. The biggest difference is that there isn't the air of collusion around the NFL / directv deal as there is with Cablevision blocking FiOS and others.
Correct, they spun it off about a year ago, funny enough around the same time as the ruling by the FCC. It's all such a big mess.
I totally agree with you though about the air of collusion, and I'm really not trying to defend cablevison, I'm just trying to make the point that the FCC can pick and choose the rules as it sees fit based on complaints, grievances and litigation. One can of worms opens the next.
How can the FCC rule in favor of verizon and claim they are at a disadvantage because they cant carry MSG in HD (they still get to carry it though in SD), but tell cablevision they are not at a disadvantage in competing with directTv with NFL sunday ticket.
Football is way more popular than hockey and basketball.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 01:23 PM
  #43
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
But again, we are not talking about whether Dolan and Cablevision are right in their assumption and implications. I'm not looking to drag this out, but you must understand that it is indeed their implication. I'm not sure why your not getting this. I know for a fact that Cablevision will use any ruling in favor of a verizon claim of competitive disadvantage in an effort to get NFL sunday ticket.
...which was the whole point of my original 'incorrect information' post. Cablevision put out incorrect information regarding NFL Sunday Ticket.

Quote:
You say my arguement doesn't further cablevisions cause, and to be honest I could really care less about Dolans arguement, but then why is it that MSG and Cablevison are not allowed to make business decisions as freely as the NFL does with its broadcast rights?
The NFL opened the Sunday Ticket package to everyone, and cable companies were outbid by DirecTV. They balked at the high price. Dolan had the opportunity to bid the same amount DirecTV bid, and he chose not to.

Dolan is NOT making MSG available to everyone, he is withholding content without allowing people to negotiate for it. Do you see the difference now?

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 03:21 PM
  #44
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Last night was my first Ranger game on FiOS.... Does anyone else have a flat panel and notice that their Verizon box is upscaling the picture to 16:9 (widescreen) format?

I assumed prior to watching the game that it would come through 4:3 with the letterboxing but to my surprise my game was upscaled to 16:9 (widescreen) with no distortion at all in the display....

I'll tell you one thing I sure miss hockey in HD! I had a hard time seeing the names & numbers on the back of their jerseys at times...
It was the same for me as well. I was very disappointed that MSGHD was not provided when I got fios only a couple weeks ago. Now, the only HD games that I'll see are on Versus or NBC. After switching from DirecTV, which was a family decision, since it was cheaper to have it, and have more channels, and the multi-room DVR.

What I don't understand is if you are concerned with customers leaving you because of 2 CHANNELS IN HD (MSG & MSG+), what does that say about your service? Shouldn't you be more worried about having it where you offer what is basically the same thing, yet people will choose you over the other company? This problem between Fios and Cablevision is more on the cablevision front then the Fios end of things.

With that being said, I'll enjoy my lightning fast download/upload speeds, multiroom dvr, all the movie channels, and my HD service without MSGHD for now. 21 of the Rangers 82 games will not be on MSGHD channels anyway (8 for the MSG2 and 13 for the versus and NBC broadcasts). So is 3/4 exclusively MSGHD that important to cablevision?

mrjimmyg89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 03:57 PM
  #45
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,051
vCash: 500
I didn't have any say in my switch to FiOS either as my roommate owns the home that I rent a room in and it was his call....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 04:44 PM
  #46
DubiDubiDoo
Registered User
 
DubiDubiDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
...which was the whole point of my original 'incorrect information' post. Cablevision put out incorrect information regarding NFL Sunday Ticket.



The NFL opened the Sunday Ticket package to everyone, and cable companies were outbid by DirecTV. They balked at the high price. Dolan had the opportunity to bid the same amount DirecTV bid, and he chose not to.

Dolan is NOT making MSG available to everyone, he is withholding content without allowing people to negotiate for it. Do you see the difference now?
LOL, I hope we settle this before the season starts

Ok, it looks like we can agree on the first point because I wasn't trying to say the information is correct, just that cablevision was using it as a talking point.

On the second point I disagree though, cablevision offers MSG to anyone who wants to pay for it. Both Verizon and Direct TV carry MSG. What they don't have is MSGHD, which is not different content than MSG, its different quality. Believe me it makes a big difference.

Also, you are correct, the NFL put NFL Sunday Ticket out to bid and Direct TV won. What you didn't mention was that Direct TV is a national company and cablevision is a local provider. How can you expect a local company with 3 million subscribers to outbid a national provider with 18.5 Million customers?
Thats the whole reason behind the terrestrial loophole, it allowed local terrestrial providers to compete with satellite providers that can sell everywhere.
You never answered why the NFL can sell their product as they choose, but MSG cannot do the same?

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 04:50 PM
  #47
DubiDubiDoo
Registered User
 
DubiDubiDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
It was the same for me as well. I was very disappointed that MSGHD was not provided when I got fios only a couple weeks ago. Now, the only HD games that I'll see are on Versus or NBC. After switching from DirecTV, which was a family decision, since it was cheaper to have it, and have more channels, and the multi-room DVR.

What I don't understand is if you are concerned with customers leaving you because of 2 CHANNELS IN HD (MSG & MSG+), what does that say about your service? Shouldn't you be more worried about having it where you offer what is basically the same thing, yet people will choose you over the other company? This problem between Fios and Cablevision is more on the cablevision front then the Fios end of things.

With that being said, I'll enjoy my lightning fast download/upload speeds, multiroom dvr, all the movie channels, and my HD service without MSGHD for now. 21 of the Rangers 82 games will not be on MSGHD channels anyway (8 for the MSG2 and 13 for the versus and NBC broadcasts). So is 3/4 exclusively MSGHD that important to cablevision?
I think people aren't really paying attention to whats going on, this is important to cablevision for 2 very good reasons-


1)They own the Rangers, they made the investment to own a sports team for income purposes. Not to be told who they have to sell to and how.

2)Cablevision is a local company, with a customer base mainly on Long Island, verizon is a national company with reach nationwide, Cablevision is using any means possible to compete, and exclusivity of content is one way to do it. I'm surprised they let verizon carry MSG period.


Last edited by DubiDubiDoo: 09-24-2010 at 05:45 PM.
DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 05:11 PM
  #48
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
It was the same for me as well. I was very disappointed that MSGHD was not provided when I got fios only a couple weeks ago. Now, the only HD games that I'll see are on Versus or NBC. After switching from DirecTV, which was a family decision, since it was cheaper to have it, and have more channels, and the multi-room DVR.

What I don't understand is if you are concerned with customers leaving you because of 2 CHANNELS IN HD (MSG & MSG+), what does that say about your service? Shouldn't you be more worried about having it where you offer what is basically the same thing, yet people will choose you over the other company? This problem between Fios and Cablevision is more on the cablevision front then the Fios end of things.

With that being said, I'll enjoy my lightning fast download/upload speeds, multiroom dvr, all the movie channels, and my HD service without MSGHD for now. 21 of the Rangers 82 games will not be on MSGHD channels anyway (8 for the MSG2 and 13 for the versus and NBC broadcasts). So is 3/4 exclusively MSGHD that important to cablevision?
I think people aren't really paying attention to whats going on, this is important to cablevision for 2 very good reasons-


1)They own the Rangers, they made the investment to own a sports team for income purposes. Not to be told who they have to sell to and how.

2)Cablevision is a local company, with a customer base mainly on Long Island, verizon is a national company with reach nationwide, Cablevision is using any means possible to compete, and exclusivity of content is one way to do it. I'm surprised they let verizon carry MSG period.
They let Verizon carry MSG because they are legally required to do so. The HD issue ("terrestrial loophole") is a different story, one that will be corrected in the future. Unfortunately for those of us waiting to switch to FIOS the wait has been too long already.


Last edited by broadwayblue: 09-24-2010 at 05:17 PM.
broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 05:40 PM
  #49
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,051
vCash: 500
This thread should be sticky'd! Just so I can find comfort in being reminded that others are suffering with me!


Of all the posters on this board you've have to imagine there'd be someone who works for FiOS who could perhaps shed some more light on this issue (or at least ask around at the company to find someone who could share something relevant)

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 05:44 PM
  #50
DubiDubiDoo
Registered User
 
DubiDubiDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
They let Verizon carry MSG because they are legally required to do so. The HD issue ("terrestrial loophole") is a different story, one that will be corrected in the future. Unfortunately for those of us waiting to switch to FIOS the wait has been too long already.
Right, but I disagree with the closing of the terrestrial loophole, and obviously Cablevision disagrees as well. How do they expect local companies to compete with national ones?

I know alot of people hate cablevision, but I've always been happy with them. I had verizon for 2 years while I was renting and it was a great product, but if I'm being honest I didn't ever feel like "oh this is faster, or oh this looks better" - take away the menus and I wouldnt be able to tell the difference.
Cablevision has always been responsive to me, and most important to me the have a local feel.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.