HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PS #1 - 09.23.2010 | New Jersey Devils @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
09-24-2010, 10:06 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

vCash: 500
All I have to say is:

Gaborik's goals last night were exactly the type of goals I score with him in NHL 11 haha

and

Stepan is the best play-making center on this team, already. His hockey sense is outstanding, and you can tell the kid is going to be a star.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:08 AM
CaptainObvi0us
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Stepan is the best play-making center on this team, already.
Agreed!

Which is great in a way but so sad at the same time

CaptainObvi0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:12 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Leslie also thinks McDonagh had an up and down night, so eh. I didn't watch him too closely and didn't see the whole game. But I mostly didn't see him doing anything terrible either
He looked a bit shaky in the first half of the first period and then had one or two gaffes in the third. But the overall impression (to me) was extremely positive.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:16 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Stepan has some resemblance of Marc Savard in terms of his play making ability/descision making/hockey sense.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:29 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Stepan has some resemblance of Marc Savard in terms of his play making ability/descision making/hockey sense.
Disagree. I mean, there is a similarity in that he's more dangerous with his passing than his scoring, but there styles aren't that similar to me. I see Savard as a guy who pressures defenses with his speed and then dishes off. Stepan, on the other hand, is more a guy who lets the play develop around him and sees the seams through the natural ebb and flow of the game that others simply don't see. Honestly, the player his game reminds me most of is Gretzky. (Please, please don't everyone freak out at this reference - I just mean in terms of style, I am NOT trying to imply that he's got that kind of talent.) Others have mentioned Statsny as a good comp, but I haven't seen him enough to really know.

Old
09-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Levitate

Man, there are some angry, angry people on the Devils board.

Not angry about losing a preseason games, just angry about anything in general with the Rangers.

Maybe we have some of those over here that I just ignore or something, but damn they like to say some downright vicious things for no good reason

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Yeah, theres a lot of irrational Rangers hate on the Devils board.

Devilswede leads the charge. He went into fits because a devils fan said Gabby's goal was nice. In his opinion, nothing a Ranger does could ever be worthy of praise.

Personally, aside from a couple players I can't stand (Marty, Clarkson), I don't have any problem with the Devils players individually.

The rabid Rangers-hate is common over here in Devils land, unfortunately. I have to deal with it all the time. It goes beyond friendly ribbing at times.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:44 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Disagree. I mean, there is a similarity in that he's more dangerous with his passing than his scoring, but there styles aren't that similar to me. I see Savard as a guy who pressures defenses with his speed and then dishes off. Stepan, on the other hand, is more a guy who lets the play develop around him and sees the seams through the natural ebb and flow of the game that others simply don't see. Honestly, the player his game reminds me most of is Gretzky. (Please, please don't everyone freak out at this reference - I just mean in terms of style, I am NOT trying to imply that he's got that kind of talent.) Others have mentioned Statsny as a good comp, but I haven't seen him enough to really know.
Savard isn't the speedster many make him out to be. Not even close. In fact, Savard is exactly what you described Stepan to be. Savard like Stepan is patient w/ the puck and lets the play develop. Both individuals seem to ooze confidence with the puck.

Personally I see partial attributes of a Mike Richards(leadership, confidence, and a tremendous future captain) , Paul Stastny and Marc Savard in terms of playing style; vision and playmaking ability.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:45 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I love how they're acting like we're over-celebrating the game. 75% of the posts I've seen have just been talking about prospects and how veterans looked.

I'm sure everyone will agree with me that the win (although pleasant) means much less than seeing prospects do well.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:46 AM
CaptainObvi0us
HFB Partner

Quote:
Maybe we have some of those over here that I just ignore or something, but damn they like to say some downright vicious things for no good reason
I personally know some Devils fans who are good people but MANY Devils fans are more anti-NYR than they are pro-Devils if you know what I mean.

1) If you go to any Devils game, even when they are playing someone like the Atlanta Thrashers they do that copycat "potvin sucks" whistle & replace it w/ Rangers Suck

2) A good 5-10% of fans @ their games have stupid **** on the back of their jerseys like "Rangers Suck" ... why would you waste a perfectly good jersey worrying about another team?

3) I've met Devils fans that honestly take more joy out of watching the Rangers lose a game than they ever would in seeing their own team win.

I just don't get it. I hate the Devils, Flyers & Islanders. But, if the Rangers are winning I could really give two ***** about how the other team is doing. If I'm @ a NYR vs LA game I'm certainly not thinking about starting up a Devils Suck chant & I'm certainly not taking my $150+ jersey to have it customized to say "Blow-Deur"

CaptainObvi0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Most Devils fans are not hateful.

They do dislike retarded comments that we on the rangers board make at times, like about how the "hustle and bustle" of NY would draw Kovalchuk here, and how Zajac is a talentless slug.

I'm sure there are equally bad posts over there, we just don't really have as good long term memories.

A lot of them (glenwo, Saugus, Brodeurscups) are really good posters. Others (Devilswede, Muttley) are a little bit different.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:53 AM
Levitate

Yeah I guess I'm just getting old and don't really care to put much into "rivalries" with other fans. I like seeing the Rangers beat rival teams but the rivalry on the ice is more fun to me than putting down fans

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 10:55 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

No, there are plenty of good Devils fans out there. I'm not saying there aren't. I'm friends with plenty.

But as noted above, there are a lot of Devils fans who care more about the Rangers losing than the Devils winning. There's just something fundamentally wrong with that.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 11:13 AM
nyr2417

My little synapse on tonights game...

Boogaard- God I never realized just how bad of a hockey player he was, I've seen nj public league kids better than him, not joking

Fedetenko- didn't show me anything that warrants him taking a spot from somebody

Kennedy- Really like his game I'd like to see him center the 3rd line and move drury to wing

Stepan- His speed isn't great but he's ridiculously smart and is a great passer, I think he should make the team and be our 1C.

McDonaugh- Very solid defensively one minor slip up, but I can't complain. I think he'll make the team.

MZA- Showed me absolutely nothing and tries to get too fancy, One season in the A should do him well.

Boyle- Looks great strong as hell, great pk'er of course, really learned how to use his size over the summer. Lock for our 4th line center spot.

Christensen- Looked pretty good but I think he's going to wind up being our 13th forward/ahl/1st line center if step doesn't make team.

Sauer- Very impressed with him, he doesn't nothing great but he's very solid. Possible bottom pair of McD and Sauer?

Biron- Looked great excited to have him as a back-up

Don't think I'm forgetting anybody, LGR!

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 11:18 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Savard isn't the speedster many make him out to be. Not even close. In fact, Savard is exactly what you described Stepan to be. Savard like Stepan is patient w/ the puck and lets the play develop. Both individuals seem to ooze confidence with the puck.

Personally I see partial attributes of a Mike Richards(leadership, confidence, and a tremendous future captain) , Paul Stastny and Marc Savard in terms of playing style; vision and playmaking ability.
My impression of Savard has always been of a guy who makes plays at full speed (regardless of how fast that may be), rather than stopping & starting, coasting into space and watching for how the players around him are shifting. Having said that, I freely admit that I only see Savard a couple of times a year and much of my view of his style is based on a decade plus of having watched him play intermittantly - it's entirely possible that he's slowed down and become a more subtle playmaker in recent years. I just haven't seen it personally.

Old
09-24-2010, 11:22 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Yeah, theres a lot of irrational Rangers hate on the Devils board.

Devilswede leads the charge. He went into fits because a devils fan said Gabby's goal was nice. In his opinion, nothing a Ranger does could ever be worthy of praise.

Personally, aside from a couple players I can't stand (Marty, Clarkson), I don't have any problem with the Devils players individually.

The rabid Rangers-hate is common over here in Devils land, unfortunately. I have to deal with it all the time. It goes beyond friendly ribbing at times.
I think I speak for a lot of older Rangers fans when I say that most of us learned to like the Devils in the mid to late 1980s because they were the only division rival we could root for consistently.

I hated the Caps. I hated the Pens. I hated the Flyers. And I hated the Isles more than anything. When the Devils, played those guys -- regular season or postseason -- I always rooted for the Devils hard.

To this day, when the Devils play any of the aforementioned teams...I still root for the Devils.

I understand their hate to a degree, but all Rangers fans know that the Isles will always be our biggest rival, no matter the standings

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Like most, I was very impressed with Stepan, Boyle, and Kennedy. Obviously Gaborik was stellar, and I'm very pleased to see the chemistry developing between Steps, Gabby, and Frolov.

I was less impressed with Semenov than most seem to be. I like his physicality, but his decision making and skating just seem to be a step or two behind. I'd use him as a 7th guy, but not as someone I want playing 60+ games.

I also liked the way Sauer played. He was pretty solid aside from a few hiccups here and there, and I really like his intensity. You can tell the guy is finally playing like he belongs here. Before, he always seemed as if he was auditioning for a spot he couldn't get, but now he is really making his mark.

Was glad to see Marty moving well in net. He should definitely help us out this year.

Dubi had some great moments, but seemed a little lost out there at times.

Staal was very up and down, but I'll chalk it up to being a little out of practice.

Christensen didn't stand out at all. He's going to need to step it up if he doesn't want to end up as the #1C with the Whalepack.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 11:36 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Most Devils fans are not hateful.

They do dislike retarded comments that we on the rangers board make at times, like about how the "hustle and bustle" of NY would draw Kovalchuk here, and how Zajac is a talentless slug.

I'm sure there are equally bad posts over there, we just don't really have as good long term memories.

A lot of them (glenwo, Saugus, Brodeurscups) are really good posters. Others (Devilswede, Muttley) are a little bit different.
Oh, absolutely. There's a number of good Devils posters. But also a number of ones who just like to hate hate hate.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
I understand their hate to a degree, but all Rangers fans know that the Isles will always be our biggest rival, no matter the standings
I understand their hate perfectly.

Why is there a huge rivalry with the Islanders? Lets be honest: it's because they severely hurt us in the back in the day. In 1975, the Islanders defeated the more established Rangers in game 3. While we beat them in 79, they went on to defeat us in four consecutive playoff runs starting in 1981.

THAT is why we hate the Islanders. Because of the competitiveness, pain, and torment that each team caused over the years. But let's be honest...our hate was due to their dominance over us.

This is why the Devils have such a huge rivalry against us. Because when it counts we have dominated them. In 1992, we beat them in 7 games. In 1994, we beat them in the infamous 7 game series. In 1997, we beat them in 5. In 2006, we got swept, but in 2008, beat them in 5.

Their hatred for us, is due to our dominance in the playoffs against them. It is the exact same reason that we hate the Islanders. Because they have caused us a lot of anguish and frustrations over the years.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 11:44 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Man, there are some angry, angry people on the Devils board.

Not angry about losing a preseason games, just angry about anything in general with the Rangers.

It really is downright comical. Didn't their mod start a thread with something like Rangers 4 Albany 3 + something else?

Their hatred borders on creepy. Its like some sort of unfounded inferiority complex. They cannot seem to not talk about the Rangers. And I get most of this from the Main Board.

Took a peak on the Debs board this morning to see what they thought of Matt Corrente (who I personally like a lot), and laughed at the posts from MSGs sucky lighting to how "pathetic" the team is for saluting the fans to how obnoxious we are for being happy for winning an exhibition game. (guess we should be pissed that we won).

And that one goof who snapped like a 5 year old because a fellow debbie fan said the Gaboriks GW goal was a nice shot.

Yep. We're the "obnoxious" ones....

Last edited by HAPPY HOUR: 09-24-2010 at 11:54 AM.
HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
When I hear corsi 👇

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
My "analysis" from being there last night:

-Stepan played well and looked like he could keep up but I worry if he makes the team as the season goes on if/when he hits that wall, I'd carry an extra center as the 13th forward just in case. He also struggled on face offs.

-McDonagh struggled a little bit but also had a few good hits. I'd like to see what he can do again

-MZA really struggled to find his game and adjust. You can see he's got talent but I really question his defensive play and play away from the puck.

-Biron looked solid had a few beauties

-Fedotenko, the first time I even noticed him was when he got the goalie "interference" call. Prior to that I was like oh yeah I forgot he's playing tonight.

-Kennedy impressed me with his speed and creativity, I want to see more out of him

-Frolov was as advertised

-Sauer appears like he's ready to make the jump

-Semenov as much as I disliked him being in camp again wouldn't mind him as a 7th d-man

-Boyle had a great first shift throwing hits getting everyone on the ice's blood pumping then fighting. He scored a nice goal, he seems to understand that he needs to use his size more but he shielded off a nobody to get to the net I want to see that against pros

-Boogie Man, well just as Boyle he had a nice first shift then kind of didn't continue the physical play. I was really hoping he and PL3 were gonna dance

-EC had a so/so game. Noticed him a few times but nothing impressive.

I think that's it, if I forget any I'll edit

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 11:51 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
They have an obsession with our team. It's borderline stalker-ish. They get angry when anything goes right for us and only root for failure and such. I think it's pretty ****ing funny. As I've said, there are a number of good posters, but a number of idiots who just hate hate hate.

That thread title of their post game is hysterical, too. Downright pathetic. Their "Albany" team has a higher payroll than what is apparently our full team (at least in their minds). I've never seen a fanbase pay more attention to what a rival team does than their own.

Comical yet sad. Like a sad clown.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Grumpy Humphrey

They complain that they lost because of "a phantom call."

...Boogaard?

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Posted them earlier, but...

For those who missed it.

Gabby's pair:

Frolov's goal:

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 12:22 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
It really is downright comical. Didn't their mod start a thread with something like Rangers 4 Albany 3 + something else?

Their hatred borders on creepy. Its like some sort of unfounded inferiority complex. They cannot seem to not talk about the Rangers. And I get most of this from the Main Board.

Took a peak on the Debs board this morning to see what they thought of Matt Corrente (who I personally like a lot), and laughed at the posts from MSGs sucky lighting to how "pathetic" the team is for saluting the fans to how obnoxious we are for being happy for winning an exhibition game. (guess we should be pissed that we won).

And that one goof who snapped like a 5 year old because a fellow debbie fan said the Gaboriks GW goal was a nice shot.

Yep. We're the "obnoxious" ones....

A lot of the posters there aren't even old enough to remember the mediocre Devils of the 1980s and early 90s, which is why they aren't humble and at times, arrogant. All they know are the 100-point teams and the Cup champions since the mid to late 1990s.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote